Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Association Football
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:51

A place to discuss all things football / soccer...

A fascinating opening to the current season in The Premier League; the league continues to earn it's reputation as one of the most-watched and most competitive in world sport.

The managerial merry-go-round is now in full swing. Following the sacking of Rodgers, Klopp's arrival at Liverpool seems imminent, but how long will the rebuild take before Liverpool are challenging domestically and in Europe? Advocaat has left Sunderland, leaving a challenging vacancy, as I can't see the Black Cats avoiding relegation this season. Elsewhere in The North East, McClaren's job is becoming untenable. The two North East Clubs are the only ones in the league yet to register a win, which speaks volumes.

And what of Mourinho's tenure? With the worst start to a campaign since the late '70s and with so many off-field distractions, at what point will Chelsea make a change? I think their chances of retaining the title have gone and their form will have to improve soon if they are going to make the top four.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 04:13 by Olly.

Re: OT: The Premier League
Date: October 6, 2015 16:02

Not long ago Rodgers was close taking home the Premiership trophy. Then he sold Suarez... Just sad sad smiley

Crystal Palace has impressed me. The top clubs are all struggling in a way...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:18

DandelionPowderman
Not long ago Rodgers was close taking home the Premiership trophy. Then he sold Suarez... Just sad sad smiley

Yeah, Leicester and Palace is really impressing right now...and of course

Wengers Team...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 19:23

its not the best league in the world despite being reported many times as being that.

european results in recent seasons show where english football stands and it is 2nd best to the spanish league, anyone who says otherwise just dosent understand the importance of results.

from midtable to the lower end of the premiership some of the football is mediocre and many players dont have a football brain, they cant spot a pass quickly, they dribble with the ball when the better option is to pass to a teammate in space who has a better chance to score.

the league this season though is exciting, man city as leaders have already lost twice, and the top teams can all take points from each other. hopefully it dosent become a 1 horse race, if arsenal can be more consistant then it could be interesting come the end of the season.

Date: October 6, 2015 19:33

The poorest english teams are better than the poorest teams in other leagues. Many of the english teams also use younger players and B-teams in Europa League.

The long season kills the players.

But it's been a long time since England had the best league, I agree.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 6, 2015 19:58

DandelionPowderman
The poorest english teams are better than the poorest teams in other leagues. Many of the english teams also use younger players and B-teams in Europa League.

The long season kills the players.

But it's been a long time since England had the best league, I agree.

High salaries takes the spirit away from playing real good football.

Instead, the payers are focused on Twitter, buying gadgets, being in the news etc. They earn way too much and way to early in life.

Date: October 6, 2015 20:01

But that goes for the other leagues as well smiling smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 20:47

buttons67
its not the best league in the world despite being reported many times as being that.

european results in recent seasons show where english football stands and it is 2nd best to the spanish league, anyone who says otherwise just dosent understand the importance of results.

from midtable to the lower end of the premiership some of the football is mediocre and many players dont have a football brain, they cant spot a pass quickly, they dribble with the ball when the better option is to pass to a teammate in space who has a better chance to score.

the league this season though is exciting, man city as leaders have already lost twice, and the top teams can all take points from each other. hopefully it dosent become a 1 horse race, if arsenal can be more consistant then it could be interesting come the end of the season.

thumbs up

I been saying for years its the most over hyped league in the world, sky tv took over and supposedly called/made it the best league in the world.

Date: October 7, 2015 02:34

buttons67

european results in recent seasons show where english football stands and it is 2nd best to the spanish league, anyone who says otherwise just dosent understand the importance of results...

It's true that English teams were performing better in the Champions League from around 2003-2008, but it has only been the 2012-13 season and the results so far in this season's Champions League group stages that have been disappointing.

Have a look at the graphic half way down this page, which shows how competitive the English clubs have been in Europe over the last twenty years:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

With regards to the question of which league is the the best in the world, it is the competitive nature of the Premier League that makes it so exciting. Over the last few seasons we are seeing greater competition and less predictable results in some of the other European domestic leagues - most notably down to the rise of clubs like Dortmund in the Bundesliga and the resurgence of Athletico Madrid in La Liga.

But The Premier League is unparalleled in terms of excitement and overall quality.

Olly.

Date: October 7, 2015 02:49

DandelionPowderman
...it's been a long time since England had the best league, I agree.

The best league or the best elite clubs in world football?

The glitz and glamour of Real Madrid and Barcelona doesn't make La Liga as good a league as the Premier League, which has many more competitive teams.

Olly.

Date: October 7, 2015 03:00

DandelionPowderman
...Many of the english teams also use younger players and B-teams in Europa League...

Yes, certainly many Premier League clubs consider the Europa League beneath them, and many are happy to be knocked out at an early stage to concentrate on their domestic campaign, as that is where the riches lie, especially for the teams who have qualified for the Europa League and yet cannot be guaranteed survival in the PL, for instance West Ham.

Olly.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 7, 2015 03:49

Okay. For us ignorant mofu's on the other side of the Atlantic and elsewhere in the world...what is this about? A little edjuimiation would be most welcome.

Date: October 7, 2015 04:16

dmay
Okay. For us ignorant mofu's on the other side of the Atlantic and elsewhere in the world...what is this about? A little edjuimiation would be most welcome.

I've changed the title of the discussion.

A place to discuss anything relating to football, soccer, or whatever name others attribute to the wonderful game of association football.

All competitions are of interest.

Olly.

Re: OT: Association Football
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:28

5 different English Teams has won Champions League since 1955...No other country has so many different teams as the winner. Thus the Premier League is the best League.

[en.wikipedia.org]

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 7, 2015 10:13

Come On
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, Leicester and Palace is really impressing right now...and of course

Wengers Team...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 7, 2015 10:17

Sweet Meja has the answer to what rules club football these days:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 7, 2015 11:35

Olly
DandelionPowderman
...it's been a long time since England had the best league, I agree.

The best league or the best elite clubs in world football?

The glitz and glamour of Real Madrid and Barcelona doesn't make La Liga as good a league as the Premier League, which has many more competitive teams.

Both.

Date: October 7, 2015 11:37

Olly
DandelionPowderman
...Many of the english teams also use younger players and B-teams in Europa League...

Yes, certainly many Premier League clubs consider the Europa League beneath them, and many are happy to be knocked out at an early stage to concentrate on their domestic campaign, as that is where the riches lie, especially for the teams who have qualified for the Europa League and yet cannot be guaranteed survival in the PL, for instance West Ham.

I don't think that's the reason. More like they wanna keep their young talents who won't get to play regularly in the premiership, and therefore are using Europa League as motivation factor for them.

Date: October 7, 2015 12:16

Initially, for a team new to Europe, there is an attraction to take part in the Europa League. Suddenly you're on TV, you get a bit of extra money coming and there is some glamour in competing against foreign clubs.

But hell, it draws on your physical resources, you get injuries and quite often your league position suffers. In England the Europa Cup is now viewed by many fans as the wooden spoon of all competitions and the joke name of 'Thursday night football'.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 7, 2015 15:02

The Europa League is seen as somewhat of a joke to many of the 'bigger clubs', definitely. I do not believe this was the case with the Uefa Cup, however. Does anyone remember the now defunct Cup Winners Cup? I recall Areensl taking it quite seriously the year they won it. 1994, I think. I think the Champions League has a lot to answer for. It's a sad state of affairs when the glorious FA Cup is seen as a distraction.

Date: October 7, 2015 15:14

I've actually started to follow my local team once more: Gillingham, F.C. They're in League One and doing rather well. Lower league football seems so more real. I wish more would support their true local team instead of 'supporting' the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United. Due to the city's diversity, 'soccer' is gaining an increasing popularity in Toronto, for instance, but how many follow Toronto F.C. is debatable. Everyone I meet there likes 'The Champions League'

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 7, 2015 17:26

Date: October 7, 2015 17:39

Koen

LvG has earned the unfortunate nickname 'Thumbface' with some UK fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 18:01 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 7, 2015 17:56

The EPL is not the best "footballing" league in the world. Its the best in a marketing sense. How long can the inflated prices & salaries last. Ideally I'd like to see a European league & then a domestic league for clubs b teams.

Date: October 7, 2015 18:10

Donnebr
The EPL is not the best "footballing" league in the world. Its the best in a marketing sense. How long can the inflated prices & salaries last. Ideally I'd like to see a European league & then a domestic league for clubs b teams.

Why is it not the best? The amount of talent playing in the EPL is staggering. Right now the EPL could be won by any of at least 5 teams. That can't be said of La Liga in Spain where really only 3 clubs compete at the very top level; Germany where only two compete and Bayern always wins; Italy where there are perhaps 3 or 4 teams and France where there are 2 or 3.

I agree that the inflated salaries and transfer fees make a mockery of the spirit of the game but that money pays for the big international football talent to play in the EPL.

How long can it last? As long as home viewers are prepared to subscribe to Sky and the other main sports channel BT then the money will roll into the league. This year English Premiership clubs got an unprecedented £100m - pounds not Euro or dollars - for allowing the TV rights to their matches.

I can't really see that going away now. Football has become a rich man's and armchair sport. When I was growing up you couldn't see any games live except for the finals. Now you can a hell of a lot. Football on TV every night. That has come at a cost but which do you prefer? I know what I would rather have.

Date: October 7, 2015 19:05

Donnebr
Ideally I'd like to see a European league & then a domestic league for clubs b teams.

I bloody well wouldn't!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 19:10

sky has ruined the EPL, english football used to have a golden age, the 60,s and 70,s where the top 4 would change every month never mind every season, a different club would win the title every year, and some very unfashionable clubs too.

sky boasted that since 1992, 5 different sides have won the title, man utd, blackburn, arsenal, chelsea and man city. so what, from 1959-60 to 1963-64 season, thats 5 seasons, also 5 different teams won, burnley, tottenham, ipswich, everton and liverpool. before the end of the 60,s man utd, leeds and man city would also win the title.

in the 70,s titles were won by everton, arsenal, derby county, liverpool, leeds utd, nottingham forest and some very unfashoinable clubs would compete for the title, in 1976 queens park rangers finished only a point behind liverpool, a liverpool side who also were good enough to win the uefa cup that season, can anyone imagine qpr finishing 2nd again.

sky saying the league is more competative is a complete lie, english football was competative for nearly 90 years just prior to liverpool dominating, and after that sky completely killed what was a fantastic product.

dosent help that in some places like the middle east and far east about 70% of people support man utd. give me football from the 60,s and 70 anyday.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 7, 2015 22:24

The English Barclays Premier league is a good league & enjoyable to watch but I just cannot see it being maintained at the levels it is at. The prices are too high. Try taking a kid to watch an Arsenal game. It costs a fortune. The German model looks a proper one cost wise. Cheap seats & more fan control (buy in). If you don't get youngsters into the game then you lose them, to other forms of "entertainment". I agree that you see a hell of a lot more football on TV now (which is good) but it also takes away from the game & its roots & it comes at a very heavy price. Footballers now having nothing in common with their fans & live in a fantasy world. What happened to 3 o clock games on a Saturday. I am a Celtic fan that previously traveled over from Ireland to watch games, now it's tough with TV companies changing the schedule at the drop of a hat. I think when the TV rights get re-negotiated by the clubs then we will see a complete shake up of football & a European league.

Date: October 7, 2015 23:23

Donnebr
The English Barclays Premier league is a good league & enjoyable to watch but I just cannot see it being maintained at the levels it is at. The prices are too high...

Whilst it does cost a lot to watch football in England, the stadia are almost always full, so the demand is clearly there and punters are willing to dig deep and pay the prices set by the clubs.

Silver Dagger
...How long can it last? As long as home viewers are prepared to subscribe to Sky and the other main sports channel BT then the money will roll into the league. This year English Premiership clubs got an unprecedented £100m - pounds not Euro or dollars - for allowing the TV rights to their matches.

The money from TV deals is an interesting topic and one that will have a far greater say in where the top players migrate to in the near future than many realise.

You are right that the Premier League commands vast sums in terms of television revenue. The three year deal starting with the 2013-14 season (ending at the end of the current season) earned the league £3.018 billion. The new three year deal starting from the beginning of next season will earn the league £5.136 billion - a rise of £2.118 billion.

This income of £5.136 billion that the PL will earn over the next three years is equivalent to the current value of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City football clubs combined.

This will undoubtedly add to the wealth of PL clubs, and will enable them to attract more of the world's top players to the league. Add to this the fact that the TV deal in La Liga (arguably the PL's strongest competitor) are being re-negotiated so that the rights are acquired collectively and not, as is currently the case, individually. Currently Real Madrid and Barcelona command huge sums in exchange for TV rights, but this will soon no longer be the case.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 23:25 by Olly.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:49

buttons67
sky has ruined the EPL, english football used to have a golden age, the 60,s and 70,s where the top 4 would change every month never mind every season, a different club would win the title every year, and some very unfashionable clubs too.

sky boasted that since 1992, 5 different sides have won the title, man utd, blackburn, arsenal, chelsea and man city. so what, from 1959-60 to 1963-64 season, thats 5 seasons, also 5 different teams won, burnley, tottenham, ipswich, everton and liverpool. before the end of the 60,s man utd, leeds and man city would also win the title.

in the 70,s titles were won by everton, arsenal, derby county, liverpool, leeds utd, nottingham forest and some very unfashoinable clubs would compete for the title, in 1976 queens park rangers finished only a point behind liverpool, a liverpool side who also were good enough to win the uefa cup that season, can anyone imagine qpr finishing 2nd again.

sky saying the league is more competative is a complete lie, english football was competative for nearly 90 years just prior to liverpool dominating, and after that sky completely killed what was a fantastic product.

dosent help that in some places like the middle east and far east about 70% of people support man utd. give me football from the 60,s and 70 anyday.

Its what i mostly think as well.

I pray for the day sky pull out of football.

I am also quite content that my team is in the championship.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home