Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Work CBS CD question
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:57

Here is a question for collectors

We all know that Dirty Work was issued by CBS on CD in March of 1986. For Europe that was a Japan – pressed CD with catalog number CDCBS 86321 and matrix DIDP-10477 11 +++++. I believe, it was on the European market between 1986 and 1988 (more or less) and was replaces by a CD made in Austria. The original Japan for Europe CD looks like this. Note misprint for the 1st track – One Hit (Of The Body).

This CD was re-pressed using multiple stamplers, with additional AX code in the matrix string (A6 as an example)

I was able to track down CDs with A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A10, A11, A12, A13 and A14. As you see A1 and A9 are missing in the list.

The misprint on the label was corrected for selected pressings. Here, for stampler A12, Track 1 is properly listed as One Hit (To The Body). Also names of authors were added and shape of the tongue + TM logo is slightly different. I.e. here we have alternative label print.

It is worth noting that the CD with initial label (misprint Of, no authors) exists for A12 stampler too.

At this point I am positive, that CDs with A7 and A12 codes could be found with both versions of the label.

So, out of pure collector’s interest, I would like to ask you kindly to check the CD you have in possession and tell me
1 – What stampler was used for the CD you own?
2 – What label was used in you case?

I am trying to understand if A1 and A9 exist and what particular pressing were issued with alternative label (corrected misprint, authors names added).

Thank you beforehand.

PS. I am aware of multiple Austrian, Japanese, USA, Australia and Canada pressings. They are out of scope. Questions are about Japan for Europe pressings.

PPS. Good and bad glory of this album is well known. Please, do not start here album talk, track talk, outtakes talk, deluxe edition talk, Wood vs. Taylor holy war etc. Be focused! winking smiley Just head for your shelf with CDs and check for the 2 issues mentioned above.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-01 00:01 by ironbelly.

Re: Dirty Work CBS CD question
Date: October 1, 2015 00:42

Virgin, Holland here...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 1, 2015 01:33

I have only a Austria made CD. Wondering how many people have kept their first press CD of Dirty Work... smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2015 01:58

DAMN YOU!

For making me curious enough to see what version I had!

OK, mine says VCK 40250 CBS Grammofoonplatten B.V. (didn't realize BV was involved in producing this!)

A Canadian Pressing. The tongue interestingly, is red, not black like you've scanned.

I think this is first edition...I mean I was alive and a stones fan at the time. I know I bought the vinyl right away but I can't remember how long it was before I got a CD player and the CD.

Whatever the pressing though, we can be rest assured they still all sound pretty awful.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:07

I would check mine but I gave it to my dog to use as a frisbee 17 years ago and he buried it in my backyard and I can't be bothered to dig it up nor do I have a metal detector to find it.

Posted by: rollingandre ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:21

To Treaclefingers,

The CDs Ironbelly is asking for are the Japanese pressings for the European market.

The CD you have is indeed a Canadian version. There are at least 4 different Canadian versions 2 made in USA (CK) for Canada and 2 Canada pressings (VCK & CK).
The Canada pressings carry the red tounge logo on the CD.

Than we still have the USA pressed CDs with an ordernumber that starts with CK.
As for the Dirty work album, there are at least 2 different issues. Maybe more.

I would say cheers to Ironbelly, because he is doing a great job which is very valuable for collectors.

Andre

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-01 02:25 by rollingandre.

Date: October 1, 2015 03:09

Turner68
I would check mine but I gave it to my dog to use as a frisbee 17 years ago and he buried it in my backyard and I can't be bothered to dig it up nor do I have a metal detector to find it.

Bill does...

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 1, 2015 10:33

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 11:02 by midnrambler.

Date: October 1, 2015 14:01

Thank you for your response.

kowalski
At least three members have those first Japanese CDs winking smiley

treaclefingers
Canadian CDs are also interesting. There were unconfirmed reports that some of there 'red tongue' editions were slightly tweaked with respect to other CDs. I mean, slightly different EQ and peak levels. Nothing special - they used the same A->D transfer, but a little tweak.

rollingandre
I am trying to do my best winking smiley.

midnrambler
Thank you for confirmation. Another brick in the wall.

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Blimey! Shame on me! I forgot a crucial OT - "Bill and his metal detector". Never again!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:37

Mine is an A12 with the misprint (that I've never noticed before) but no songwriting credits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-01 22:42 by Braincapers.

Date: October 2, 2015 18:21

Braincapers
Thank you.

Anybody else have Dirty Work Japan for Europe CD?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home