Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: things the rolling stones did that really, really, really got you ballistic
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:48

kammpberg
The lowest point for me was gathering my friends to watch the Stones live on Saturday Night Live in 1978 and saying how they were the greatest etc. Jagger had no voice but the lowest was when he tongue kissed/licked Ronnie Wood uh - that was so awful. I was embarrassed.
Yes same situation for me -that was another embarrassing one for sure.

And also the release of the song Emotional Rescue - which is an embarrasment in itself imo.
Some of my high school friends I'd consider 'casual fans' of the Stones,
while others were heavily into punk rock and had no time for any 'dinosaurs'.
This tune didn't go over well with anyone I knew...except maybe my older sister.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:48

Goat's head picture and Treacle picture as well. I can't look at either of them for longer than 2 seconds, and they're 2 of my favorite records. What irony, those whacky Stones.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:58

Olly
Big Al
Olly
Big Al
I concur somewhat with Naturalust, here.

Although he has seemingly mellowed towards him in recent years, Keith's comments towards Brian in the 25x5 documentary really rather shocked me: 'Hey, you cock, you're fired' and, of course, 'shit happens' when referring to Brian's passing.

Used as a friendly form of address.

In what country and culture? Certainly, in this particular context, it isn't particularly friendly.

You're British aren't you, Al?

I believe Richards said 'cock' as opposed to 'you cock'. He means 'Hey pal' or 'Hey mate':

noun
British informal
a friendly form of address among men.
"please yourself, cock"

Big Al, you must have heard the expression, surely?

Olly.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 30, 2015 03:17

What really got to me was when Brian claimed they were bigger than Jesus....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 30, 2015 03:34

Olly

I believe Richards said 'cock' as opposed to 'you cock'. He means 'Hey pal' or 'Hey mate':

noun
British informal
"please yourself, cock"

Now I know why I will never get Olly's quizzes:

for example:

I'm what's right or fair, then measured, and supported by a cock

1. What's right or fair = just
2. then measured = weighting and thus waiting
3. supported by = preposition on
4. a cock = a friend

ergo prompter hoc . . . I'm just waiting on a friend. Easy peasy! Guv'nor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-30 03:58 by camper88.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2015 06:29

Olly
Olly
Big Al
Olly
Big Al

Although he has seemingly mellowed towards him in recent years, Keith's comments towards Brian in the 25x5 documentary really rather shocked me: 'Hey, you cock, you're fired' and, of course, 'shit happens' when referring to Brian's passing.

In what country and culture? Certainly, in this particular context, it isn't particularly friendly.

noun
British informal
"please yourself, cock"

When I first heard the term from Keith I was shocked too. Asked about it here on iorr and some kind soul explained it was a relatively benign slang somehow referring to cockney (a native of east London).

But in context "Hey cock, you're fired" it couldn't have been all that friendly, sounded pretty venomous coming from Keith actually.

I can't quite remember the source, possibly an Anita interview, but someone around the Stones at that time said Mick and Keith were very brutal to Brian. Of course they were young arrogant and less than mature punks at the time so it's easy to understand. It's also easy to imagine Keith's heroin addiction was karma playing itself out for how they treated Brian and his drug problems.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:15

Few things:

1. As far as ticket prices go...I don't blame the Stones...I blame The Eagles.
In 1994...the top ticket price for Voodoo Lounge at Giants Stadium was $49.50.

The Eagles came along that summer in August and charged an AVERAGE of $94 per ticket. The Stones only reacted to the market...and I haven't seen many un-sold out shows since...however...someone earlier in this thread pointed out that they catered to the casual fan with $ in their pockets...I totally agree...By pricing out the young generation...they lost a lot on merchandise, album sales, and demand for their music in young films and commercials.

2. Billy Wyman dating a 13 year old and not getting arrested...WTF?

3. Mick Jagger's short haircut for the corporate Steel Wheels Tour..even making
Ronnie Wood cut his hair short too?...Was it Michael Cohl's instructions to appeal to sponsors?

4. Aweful album covers...Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Flashpoint, Voodoo, No Security, A Bigger Bang, The Gorilla Cover...come on!...who is approving this crap..

5. The Most Embarrising moment for me?...playing "Anybody Seen My Baby" at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden at some Model/Fashion show because Mick wanted to pick up and impress some chick...what a disaster!

PECMAN

Date: September 30, 2015 07:46

More Hot Rocks,

You made a comment that you get mad when people say there is someone playing
guitar under the stage.

I have to say...I witnessed it first hand...take a look at my show reviewon this website from Boardwalk Hall NJ in 2006...I actually pointed out that the Stones were right in front of me when they came out to the B stage (or the stage moved out that way) and played "She's So Cold"...there were moments in that song when Keith and Ronnie both didn't have their fingers on the frets and a guitar was playing...I took note about that...and wrote it in that review...up to you to believe it or not...all good...glad we both love The Rolling Stones.

Pecman

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:49

Their treatment of Bill when he came back for the O2 shows. He didn't have to take it, and didn't. Mick Taylor did take their shit because he probably needed the dough.

Date: September 30, 2015 08:35

Hi 24FPS,

Let's put things in perspective...

Both of these guys were quitters...end of story.

They quit..and the Stones got bigger when Taylor left...

The Stones got bigger after Wyman left and nobody missed them.

As a matter of fact...once Wyman left...we got an amazing amount of touring from the band..without them dragging around a big complaining Bill Wyman.

So for them to be asked to play on the 2012-2013 tour was an acknowledgement on The Stones part...not a need and I need to make you rich and owe you shows from The Stones perspective...which is probably how both Taylor & Wyman took it.

Both quit...and I feel sorry for neither.

Where's Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor's Top Ten Hits?

If they wrote great songs for The Stones and weren't properly credited...where are their hits outside of the Stones...NOT ONE!...If Bill Wyman wrote Jumping Jack Flash...couldn't he write another hit since?.and if Mick Taylor wrote hits on albums from Sticky to IORR...where are his hits?

I don't know...I'm sure Ronnie Wood has been cheated a bit...but the dude has
wrote amazing songs on his own...has numerous solo albums...has songs Stones songs that Mick & Keith gave a songwriting credit to and never complained...that's why Ron Wood is in the Penthouse and Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor are complaining about songs and money...If they never quit...they wouldn't be complaining.

PECMAN

Date: September 30, 2015 09:11

Pecman
Few things:

Billy Wyman dating a 13 year old and not getting arrested...WTF?

PECMAN

Whatever Bill's issues were/ are, the decision to arrest him is not the Stones to make (and there's no statute of limitations in the UK).

Don't forget that while Bill was married to Mandy, Bill's son was married to Mandy's mother, thereby making Bill his own step-grandson-in-law, while Mandy's mother was at the same time Bill's daughter-in-law and Bill's mother-in-law.

Completely FUBAR.

Posted by: django ()
Date: September 30, 2015 12:50

Watching Let's Spend The Night Together with a bunch of friends - all none Stones fans - in a movie theatre. They didn't like it, I didn't like it. A complete disapointment. Some time later I could show them Hampton on video which is 100% better IMO.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 30, 2015 12:53

camper88
Pecman
Few things:

Billy Wyman dating a 13 year old and not getting arrested...WTF?

PECMAN

Whatever Bill's issues were/ are, the decision to arrest him is not the Stones to make (and there's no statute of limitations in the UK).

Don't forget that while Bill was married to Mandy, Bill's son was married to Mandy's mother, thereby making Bill his own step-grandson-in-law, while Mandy's mother was at the same time Bill's daughter-in-law and Bill's mother-in-law.

Completely FUBAR.

Did Stephen Wyman actually marry Mandy's Mother? I know they dated, but wasnt aware it got that far.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 30, 2015 12:54

Picking "Streets Of Love" as first single from " Bigger Bang"

Date: September 30, 2015 12:59

1. Tax avoidance schemes thereby paying the minimum of taxes whilst (Keith specially) pretending to be a man of the people.
2. Mick's hair, everything about it, but especially the hair dye.
3. Appointing Allen Klein, sacking Eric Easton before even his contract was up.And thinking he would go away quietly.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2015 13:01

Writing and recording Streets Of Love.
And Keith telllig in an interview he´d really love the song. I think that interiew can be found on the Bigger-Bang CD&DVD-release. This release was also disappointing because it came out about two months after the regular CD-release. They should have offered them both at the same time, like other artists do. But no, they had to take the money twice. I wonder who´s brilliant idea that was.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2015 13:06

Mick´s hair? You must be joking.smiling smiley

But I go mad not knowing is it his own hair or a wig.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 30, 2015 13:27

Naturalust
Olly
Olly
Big Al
Olly
Big Al

noun
British informal
"please yourself, cock"

When I first heard the term from Keith I was shocked too. Asked about it here on iorr and some kind soul explained it was a relatively benign slang somehow referring to cockney (a native of east London).

But in context "Hey cock, you're fired" it couldn't have been all that friendly, sounded pretty venomous coming from Keith actually.

I can't quite remember the source, possibly an Anita interview, but someone around the Stones at that time said Mick and Keith were very brutal to Brian. Of course they were young arrogant and less than mature punks at the time so it's easy to understand. It's also easy to imagine Keith's heroin addiction was karma playing itself out for how they treated Brian and his drug problems.
intresting perspective about karma and Keith's heroin addiction . Never thought of it that way but it does fit ! you are a very wise man !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 30, 2015 13:35

my #1 gripe would be the stiff job from 10/27/06 after driving all the way to Atlantic city finding out in the hotel lobby that the Stones pulled the plug because Mick's throat hurt .Silver lining , got tickets to see the Stones at the Beacon in NYC.on 10/29/06

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: September 30, 2015 14:37

FWIW, I have never heard the word 'cock' used either as a term of endearment or as a reference to cockneys (and Brian Jones wasn't a cockney anyway). So I don't buy either explanation, and like Naturalust says neither makes sense in context.

Date: September 30, 2015 14:38

I wasnt aware that Keith had a heroin addiction whilst Brian was alive, or more to the point when Brian was actually turning up for recordings.
Of course, other drugs were on the scene..but I don't think drugs played a part in the way they dealt with him.
Frustration with Brian, his unreliability, loss of musical ability,legal issues etc and the rest of the group wanting to get back on tour again.
Which they had to do, to get financially secure if nothing else.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 15:07

Keith sounding bitter/brutal about Brian Bill or Taylor, belitteling Brian or people like cooder, clinging ön to Mick in a pathetic wsy. Laughing at everything ( he is probably a lot Møre interesting IF you know him)

Date: September 30, 2015 15:28

jlowe
[
Did Stephen Wyman actually marry Mandy's Mother? I know they dated, but wasnt aware it got that far.

He did, he married Patsy in '93. He became his own grandfather.

Date: September 30, 2015 15:35

camper88
jlowe
[

How did it go, are they still together?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 30, 2015 15:40

The day Mick Taylor left

Remember the newspaper

Quiet Mick Quits The Rolling Stones

Still cannot fully recover

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2015 16:22

DandelionPowderman
camper88
jlowe
[

How did it go, are they still together?

Actually step grandfather is probably more accurate. I think I read that the marriage didn't last long. A picture of the happy couple:

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 30, 2015 16:37

- Mick going on stage with lightweights like Taylor Swift

- The ridiculous amounts of money they charge for concerts

- Not recording an album in the last decade

- Not giving Mick Taylor + Bill Wyman bigger roles in the last tour

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 30, 2015 16:48

Using studio effects for the last 25 years because they are afraid to sound like themselves. Big mistake, underneath all the fluff there is still greatness.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 17:34

Let's Work
DIRTY WORK
Rock And A Hard Place
Streets Of Love

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2015 18:24

Olly
Big Al
Olly
Big Al

noun
British informal
"please yourself, cock"

Keith didn't mean it in a friendly way. No one means it in a friendly way. Cock, dick, whatever - it means you're a prick. Apparently Brian was a prick.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home