Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did you see Stevie Wonder open for the Stones?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2015 01:26

Were you there? What did you think and feel at the time?

Re: Did you see Stevie Wonder open for the Stones?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:02

Yes I did. (Forum, 1972)
What a dynamic double billthumbs up

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:10

Saw them the night before BluzDude in Long Beach. Honestly have ZERO memory of Stevie -- to my eternal shame. Was too busy getting myself in the right, uhh, frame of mind for The Stones!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:25

........................................................................................................... Jim Marshall

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:34

God, I Wish (pun indended). I hold Stevie's run of music in the early 70's in the same esteem I hold the Stones best music. Those records will never get old for me, and I discovered them years later.

I imagine it might have even been a slight risk to take such a brilliant artist out as an opener back then. Were there nights when his show was better than the Stones?

I would welcome your memories of Stevie's music back then stonesrule!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:02

Naturalust
God, I Wish (pun indended). I hold Stevie's run of music in the early 70's in the same esteem I hold the Stones best music. Those records will never get old for me, and I discovered them years later.

I imagine it might have even been a slight risk to take such a brilliant artist out as an opener back then. Were there nights when his show was better than the Stones?

I used to think the word proper was the most over and annoying word used word in the English language. That was until I found music boards and saw that the most over used word by far is brilliant, and its not even close.

I mean it is amazing how much that word flies. On the Hoffman fourm not 10 minutes goes by without it describing someone.

I am going to start a thread soon asking if there has ever been an artist that is not brilliant?

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:07

MSG on Mick's birthday...Fantastic show....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:09

The question is, did Stevie see you? smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:10

I was only 9 years old in 1972, but a year later with my first girlfriend, Sunshine of My Life became our song. smiling smiley

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:16

I did at DC Stadium on July 4 . It to me was underwhelming. Lot of slower stuff. He did a drum solo. Don't recall much other than that. It was so packed. I was in second row upper deck. When Stones came on with Brown Sugar the upper deck was bouncing up and down. Pretty scary. I gather he was better elsewhere. No encore together. He may have been late . Long time ago. Seen him several times over the years and he is really great performer.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:18

Yep
Can't remember anything

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:26

stanlove
Naturalust

I used to think the word proper was the most over and annoying word used word in the English language. That was until I found music boards and saw that the most over used word by far is brilliant, and its not even close.

I mean it is amazing how much that word flies. On the Hoffman fourm not 10 minutes goes by without it describing someone.

I am going to start a thread soon asking if there has ever been an artist that is not brilliant?

Well I don't throw the word around lightly. Maybe Stevie isn't your thing, no worries, but brilliant doesn't begin to describe the best of his music, imo. Let me throw in a few more adjectives for you to critique...soulful, inspiring, fantastic, groovy, fresh, thoughtful, healing, transcendental, wonderful, enlightening, empowering, powerful,... Any of those work better for ya? smoking smiley

Date: September 23, 2015 04:33

Those all work for me Naturalist, and I would also add genius to the list.
Might have to delete 'groovy' though as it reminds me of something Greg Brady would say.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:28

yes, I saw Stevie Wonder at one of the Winterland, SF shows in 1972. I did not see the whole show as I and my group arrived a little late. I do recall him having rather short hair and bouncing up and down a lot ... a background singer led him around the stage doing this at the end of the performance. He was definitely a hit with the audience. I recall him playing 'If You Really Loved Me.'

By that time he already had numerous hits, but the best was yet to come. Incredible catalog.

Decades later I happened to be at (what is now called) Reagan National Airport in DC, when he walked past me with an entourage to attend the Million Man March. I should have yelled 'Stevie! Winterland '72!'

... No I shouldn't have. smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2015 05:57

Naturalust
stanlove
Naturalust

Well I don't throw the word around lightly. Maybe Stevie isn't your thing, no worries, but brilliant doesn't begin to describe the best of his music, imo. Let me throw in a few more adjectives for you to critique...soulful, inspiring, fantastic, groovy, fresh, thoughtful, healing, transcendental, wonderful, enlightening, empowering, powerful,... Any of those work better for ya? smoking smiley

Maybe you could just say you like him. The other stuff is just opinion and isn't worth forcing down anyone's throat.

Online everyone claims anyone they like is brilliant. It really has no meaning. It just means someone likes him. I am sure fans of Ratt are going around talking about how brilliant they are.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:03

I didn't, was too young at the time.

But then again, either did Stevie.

OK, that was bad, sorry.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:07

I assume NL doesn't merely "like" Stevie's best music. He thinks it's "brilliant." So, a mere "like" is not an accurate portrayal of NL's fondness for the music. Why shouldn't he use the word that best suits his opinion? Simply because YOU think the word is devalued?

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:25

Saw him at both Toronto shows. He was great but the Stones had no problem following him.

O believe the only time they did the encore together was at Jagger's birthday at MSG.

Date: September 23, 2015 07:01

This thread was 'brilliant', but it seems a certain party pooper want to pop the balloons... sad smiley

Date: September 23, 2015 07:06

LongBeachArena72
I assume NL doesn't merely "like" Stevie's best music. He thinks it's "brilliant." So, a mere "like" is not an accurate portrayal of NL's fondness for the music. Why shouldn't he use the word that best suits his opinion? Simply because YOU think the word is devalued?

It is devalued on music forms because so many Brits use it to describe everything they like.
Here is a little wisdom that many more people on music boards should follow. IF you say you like music then there is nothing to argue about. You are stating a fact. When you start stating as a fact that someone is brilliant of a Genius for Gods sake then there is something to debate and argue about. What is the point of everyone stating their opinions as always? Its ridiculous.

By the way Steve Wonder was a flash in the pan who was really no big deal and put out a few pop hits. Far from brilliant of a Genious. A pop star eclipsed my many..

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 07:13

stanlove
LongBeachArena72

It is devalued on music forms because so many Brits use it to describe everything they like.
Here is a little wisdom that many more people on music boards should follow. IF you say you like music then there is nothing to argue about. You are stating a fact. When you start stating as a fact that someone is brilliant of a Genius for Gods sake then there is something to debate and argue about. What is the point of everyone stating their opinions as always? Its ridiculous.

By the way Steve Wonder was a flash in the pan who was really no big deal and put out a few pop hits. Far from brilliant of a Genious. A pop star eclipsed my many..

your post is riddled with language errors. why would you criticize others if you can't be bothered yourself?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2015 07:21

My old friend StanLove. Hmmmm.. Stan, is "Misstra Know It All" about YOU?

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 07:41

stanlove
... The other stuff is just opinion and isn't worth forcing down anyone's throat.

Online everyone claims anyone they like is brilliant. It really has no meaning. It just means someone likes him. I am sure fans of Ratt are going around talking about how brilliant they are.

Good points Stan, a simple something like- "I like an artist, I think they are very enjoyable, here are some examples of what I think is their best work (in case someone doesnt know) and here is what I enjoy that they have done recently" can suffice. Then allow the music do the talking...

...but where would that leave the big mouths who seemingly only exist to go online to rattle off their every thought without filter on every topic on every thread everyday as if them stating their opinion makes it a fact?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 07:47 by everwest1.

Date: September 23, 2015 07:58

Stevie doing his thing in Calgary "My Cherie Amour" on July 12th 2015
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2015 08:03

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2015 08:04

thumbs up

Date: September 23, 2015 08:10

Rockman

[www.youtube.com]

Mick being the man (as usual) helping guide Stevie in that clip smiling smiley cool to see

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 23, 2015 13:52

I saw the tour in Mobile in '72, was excited to see Stevie on the bill because he was a huge star too at the time...but I came to see the Stones for the third time, I was not diappointed with either of them!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 23, 2015 13:54

I wish! I was only 11 at the time though...

Date: September 23, 2015 14:00

Mr.D
I saw the tour in Mobile in '72, was excited to see Stevie on the bill because he was a huge star too at the time...but I came to see the Stones for the third time, I was not diappointed with either of them!

The best show of the tour, judging from the bootlegs I have heard thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home