Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Indoor NO SMOKING Signs ... Should They Apply To Keith Richards?
Date: September 22, 2015 22:43

I have no problem with Keith or Ronnie smoking on Stage. I mean at most Stones concerts I've been to there have huge plumes of weed smoke but of course that's considered ok?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:00

I dont think the health of interviewers is seriously in danger because Keith is smoking. They are in one room with this old smoking devil for 30 minutes or so, taking a walk on main street should be more dangerous for your health.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:20

keefriff99
Naturalust
He's probably been fined for smoking in some venues but just pays it because he can. I also think it is both a bit inconsiderate of him to subject his interviewers to second hand smoke and cool of him to disregard authority in such an open way.

The signs obviously do apply to everyone but should Keith regard them? I'd say in concert venues no way, got to let the guy work comfortably and entertain us first and foremost but it would be nice to see him be a bit more considerate to individuals.

I'm probably not the only one who worries about Keith health due to his smoking. The guy has survived so many intoxicants, it would be sad to see him finally leveled by something like cigarettes.
I agree...I'm torn between thinking he's a badass and thinking he's a prick. I'm not an anti-smoking Nazi but truly dislike being in a confined space with smokers.

My Dad is Keith's age and smoked for over 50 years, and now he's in the very early stages of COPD. He's still in very good health considering but...I know it's not gonna end well for him, even though he's quit (hopefully...he's lied before about it).

But I've also known people who smoked into their 80s and 90s and didn't die because of it. Some people are genetic freaks, and I think we all know Keith's constitution is way better than average.

"Constitution better than average" ?
I am not convinced that stands up to scrutiny, actually.
Alongside the long term impact of drugs abuse and alcohol there is also the arthritis and of course the consequences of Fiji.

And lets not forget the insurance who-ha a year or so ago. Keith's clauses were quite extensive.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:26

Like Keith, humorist—and Keith friend—Fran Lebowitz is a smoker and a recurring guest on Jimmy Fallon's show. During an appearance she told Fallon that she was dying for a smoke, and Fallon brought up that Keith went ahead and smoked backstage when he was last there. Leibowitz said, semi-jokingly, "I don't have his stature" to get away with that. Fallon said some staff members even said to Keith, "You're not supposed to smoke," And Keith said, "I know, it's bad for my health," and kept on smoking.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:30

HMS
I dont think the health of interviewers is seriously in danger because Keith is smoking. They are in one room with this old smoking devil for 30 minutes or so, taking a walk on main street should be more dangerous for your health.

It's not about the immediate health consequences of people subject to Keith's smoke for short periods of time as it is about common courtesy and consideration to the people he is subjecting it to. I'm sure Jane runs cover for him before the interviews telling the people they must put up with it or no interview. It would nice to at least hear Keith ask "Do you mind if I smoke? once or twice.

Date: September 22, 2015 23:41

Reminds me of people who ignore no parking signs or just park their 4x4 vehicles in spaces reserved for people with disabilities.
They don't give a toss...I know of a wealthy businessman who racked up 100 fines in a year. He probably puts it down as a business expense.
As Dylan once said money doesn't talk....it swears.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:52

Well of course Keith should. It's a question of courtesy not just that he is Keith. Now on the the other hand, the setlist may fall back to two songs if he was not allowed to smoke.

I saw Billybob Thornton and his band the Boxmasters earlier in the year. He smoked the entire time and it was a small theater. He explained how he calls
his show a "performance" within his contact and that smoking is required to
portray his character correctly. He justifies such a rule bending, to his audience, because he would be a mess onstage without smoking and the audience would hate the show. Personally I think he just feels he is above the normal rules and is proud of it. The show was good though and Billybob is a unique
charecter who writes a variety of tunes. I would recomend the show and the band.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:53

Title5Take1
Like Keith, humorist—and Keith friend—Fran Lebowitz is a smoker and a recurring guest on Jimmy Fallon's show. During an appearance she told Fallon that she was dying for a smoke, and Fallon brought up that Keith went ahead and smoked backstage when he was last there. Leibowitz said, semi-jokingly, "I don't have his stature" to get away with that. Fallon said some staff members even said to Keith, "You're not supposed to smoke," And Keith said, "I know, it's bad for my health," and kept on smoking.

Love that story!

Reminds me of a former stage manager of mine in the express line at the local grocery store years ago... On short notice (the day of) we were asked by the band Kool & The Gang, if we could have a cookout for 4th of July. We said sure and raced to the store so we could pull it off before showtime. When we got to the checkout, she led us to the empty lane with a cart full of supplies. The cashier looked at our stage manager and said, "I'm sorry, this lane is 15 items or less". Our stage manager didn't even blink before replying, "It's OK, there are six of us". Which there were. The cashier rang up the groceries without another word.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:53

Keith can smoke if he likes..anywhere

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:00

jlowe
keefriff99
Naturalust
He's probably been fined for smoking in some venues but just pays it because he can. I also think it is both a bit inconsiderate of him to subject his interviewers to second hand smoke and cool of him to disregard authority in such an open way.

The signs obviously do apply to everyone but should Keith regard them? I'd say in concert venues no way, got to let the guy work comfortably and entertain us first and foremost but it would be nice to see him be a bit more considerate to individuals.

I'm probably not the only one who worries about Keith health due to his smoking. The guy has survived so many intoxicants, it would be sad to see him finally leveled by something like cigarettes.
I agree...I'm torn between thinking he's a badass and thinking he's a prick. I'm not an anti-smoking Nazi but truly dislike being in a confined space with smokers.

My Dad is Keith's age and smoked for over 50 years, and now he's in the very early stages of COPD. He's still in very good health considering but...I know it's not gonna end well for him, even though he's quit (hopefully...he's lied before about it).

But I've also known people who smoked into their 80s and 90s and didn't die because of it. Some people are genetic freaks, and I think we all know Keith's constitution is way better than average.

Alongside the long term impact of drugs abuse and alcohol there is also the arthritis and of course the consequences of Fiji.

And lets not forget the insurance who-ha a year or so ago. Keith's clauses were quite extensive.
Perhaps not. I don't subscribe to the 'Keith will outlive us all' myth that has been built up around him by his worshipers. I used to buy into it, but not anymore.

That said, it's hard to argue that the man is extraordinarily resilient given how he's abused himself. The list of dead legends sadly grows longer every year (some younger and seemingly healthier than Keith), and yet Keith just keeps on ambling along.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:06

This is crazy. Have you seen the state the world is in. Fossil fuels, drug addiction, alcoholism, poverty, global over population, the elite sticking their wattsits into dead pigs, paedophile rings, toxins all over the environment, in our food our water, cancer on the increase and your worried about a bit of frackin second hand smoke from keith. Get a life. There is not even any concrete evidence that second hand smoke harms anyone except asthmatics

He is keith Richards and i admire him for smoking where he cant. he walks his own line and he don't give a shit. Its refreshing, we live in a nanny state.

Ps i have never smoked but i don't mind people enjoying a cigarette

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:16

Naturalust
HMS

It's not about the immediate health consequences of people subject to Keith's smoke for short periods of time as it is about common courtesy and consideration to the people he is subjecting it to. I'm sure Jane runs cover for him before the interviews telling the people they must put up with it or no interview. It would nice to at least hear Keith ask "Do you mind if I smoke? once or twice.

Good grief, now Keith's 'lack of courtesy' during an interview is being criticized? lol
If the interviewer wants an interview, Keith's habits should come with the territory - otherwise tough sh*t.
Or maybe Keith should wear a big sign around his neck - "ENTER AT OWN RISK".

smoking smiley

edit: (spell check)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 00:47 by Hairball.

Date: September 23, 2015 00:23

keefriff99
jlowe
keefriff99
Naturalust

Perhaps not. I don't subscribe to the 'Keith will outlive us all' myth that has been built up around him by his worshipers. I used to buy into it, but not anymore.

That said, it's hard to argue that the man is extraordinarily resilient given how he's abused himself. The list of dead legends sadly grows longer every year (some younger and seemingly healthier than Keith), and yet Keith just keeps on ambling along.

Keiths dad Bert was a smoker and life long drinker. He made it to 89
Keith has a long way to go
Remember people, the grave yards a full of non smokers
There are other things to consider too like keith is not fat or obese and he is fit
Smokers get a bad rap if you ask me

Date: September 23, 2015 00:40

Well, Charlie gave up after his cancer scare didnt he?
I believe Keiths daughters smoke.....I wonder how Keith would react if they got smokers disease.
I also wonder how health conscious Mick copes with smokers in the recording studio?

Date: September 23, 2015 00:43

What makes me laugh is people crying out to legalise cannabis are also belly aching about smokers
Give it some thought, like you have to smoke cannabis !!!
Go Figure

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:44

I only smoke in bed .... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:54

You can call that a performance so that's ok I suppose

Date: September 23, 2015 01:31

Hairball
Naturalust
HMS

Good grief, now Keith's 'lack of courtesy' during an interview is being criticized? lol
If the interviewer wants an interview, Keith's habits should come with the territory - otherwise tough sh*t.

smoking smiley

Well yeah Keith could do whatever he pleased in my house, I'm just as subject to put up with the indiscretions of celebrity as the next guy, but common courtesy is a good thing and if ya take away Keith's celebrity and just judge him as a human being it's easier to see where I was coming from. But by all means, smoke away Keith, here's an ashtray, need a light? I imagine even bv would allow the human chimney to do as he pleased in his house. winking smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 01:45

Like at least one poster above, my dad has COPD from a lifetime of smoking. When he goes, I will have missed out on some number of years with him, and my 23-month-old son will have missed out on some number of years of getting to know his grandfather.

Keith's extraordinary cool - but smoking sucks - and imho if he does subject other people to it w/o any allowance or apology, then he's just being a dick.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 01:52

keefriffhards
What makes me laugh is people crying out to legalise cannabis are also belly aching about smokers
Give it some thought, like you have to smoke cannabis !!!
Go Figure

It's hardly the same thing. Cannabis doesn't cause cancer or lung disease, so its not so much "belly aching" as it is lung disease and cancer.

As well, one does't actually have to smoke weed. If Keith wants to eat his tobacco in a brownie, go for it. Few people have been affected by second hand brownies, dogs excepted.

Date: September 23, 2015 02:07

keefriffhards
Remember people, the grave yards a full of non smokers

lmfoa. That is classic. It would be even funnier if 1 in every 5 deaths in the US wasn't smoking related. Besides smokers should all be cremated out of principle. lol

That being said, I truly enjoy a fat stogie or occasional cig with a glass of 21 year old Scotch after a big meal, but I usually do so with my friends out on the back deck or in the man cave away from the more sensitive breathers, out of courtesy of course. smoking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:33

alot of people might not like to hear this but when someone like keith richards walks into a room people are thinking "i can't wait to tell everyone who i saw today" and "holy crap,keith richards"

exactly who do you guys think the person is who's gonna make him put out a cigarette?
and onstage-well i've never actually been smacked in the head with a guitar but i would guess walking out there to deliver the "no smoking" message may cause you to undergo what the national football league calls the "concussion protocal"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:02

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:16

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
HMS

smoking smiley

Well yeah Keith could do whatever he pleased in my house, I'm just as subject to put up with the indiscretions of celebrity as the next guy, but common courtesy is a good thing and if ya take away Keith's celebrity and just judge him as a human being it's easier to see where I was coming from. But by all means, smoke away Keith, here's an ashtray, need a light? I imagine even bv would allow the human chimney to do as he pleased in his house. winking smiley

But....being a guest in someones house vs. being interviewed for the millionth time by some writer/hack on neutral territory is a bit different.
And how do you know Keith isn't 100% courteous and polite prior to interviews regarding cigarette smoking?
Maybe he actually does courteously and politely ask'Do you mind if I smoke'? - although that's admittedly hard to picture. lol
Not sure if he'd ask that prior to lighting a giant spliff of some killer California bud (his preference cool smiley ), but maybe he does for stinky cigarettes?

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:23

bv
Old people don't care about rules.

"He's not old! He's just evolving"! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. Seriously though, I can't use the word "old" to describe Keith. There is nothing old sounding about his music. I wish I could sound half as awesome as Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 03:57 by stones2000.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:49

Nope!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:46

jlowe
Well, Charlie gave up after his cancer scare didnt he?
I believe Keiths daughters smoke.....I wonder how Keith would react if they got smokers disease.
I also wonder how health conscious Mick copes with smokers in the recording studio?
He stopped smoking in the '80s, way before his cancer scare.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:57

Smoking around Charlie & his wife, who are cancer survivors, is pretty messed up & ridiculously inconsiderate.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:06

It makes me laugh how sensitive people are to the subject of smoking. Keith can smoke wherever he wants. Isn't hurting anyone but himself. I work daily on the University of Kentucky campus where outdoor smoking is prohibited but vehicles drive freely. Lock yourself in a garage with a cigarette and a running gasoline engine and have your relatives let me know which one kills you first. I don't believe in second hand smoke. You can't fail a drug test from second hand marijuana smoke. Nashville, 2003: I lit a cig in the arena and security jumped my ass before the show. I asked if they would make Keith put his cig out when the show started. They said, "no, that's totally different."

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:30

keefriffhards

Keiths dad Bert was a smoker and life long drinker. He made it to 89

I read that smokers who live to 60-something will outlive nonsmokers who live to that age. It signifies your body is just tougher than most, and as Keith has said, "I come from strong stock." I don't have that original article but this one is along those lines >>> [healthland.time.com]

Also, people with high status—uh, rock star!—who live unhealthy lives will live longer than people with low status who lead healthy lives. Read the book THE STATUS SYNDROME by Michael Marmot.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home