Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Undercover
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 19, 2019 11:13

I always rated that album as one of the weaker ones. IMO, Under Cover is an attempt to capturing the spirit of time but heavily lacks ideas.

There are some good songs, e.g. Too Much Blood, She Was Hot but most aren't more than fillers, particularly as most songs sound like variations of older ones. Never got into it although I tried a couple of times.

Date: July 19, 2019 14:34

The last 'real' Stones album IMO.
Good nasty artwork. Twin guitars.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:09

Meise
I always rated that album as one of the weaker ones. IMO, Under Cover is an attempt to capturing the spirit of time but heavily lacks ideas.

There are some good songs, e.g. Too Much Blood, She Was Hot but most aren't more than fillers, particularly as most songs sound like variations of older ones. Never got into it although I tried a couple of times.

Perhaps you haven't truly listened to the album. I hear a band full of new energy and sounds, and with the exception of It Must Be Hell, everything is new and fresh and it remains that way today. Very few Stones albums sound fresh to me when I play them after a while of not listening to them. U is one of them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:14

DandelionPowderman
Why no love for Feel On Baby? IMO, the best track on the album.

It's the Fingerprint File of the 1980s - a brilliant song.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:47

DandelionPowderman
Why no love for Feel On Baby? IMO, the best track on the album.

Because I agree with Hairball here, it's "aimless faux reggae" and with JordyLicks96 that as such, it's "very forgettable". Not the standart I expect from a band like the Stones.

Nice sound, but weak composition, it simply can't hold a candle to what other rock bands like The Clash did in the reggae genre in the same time frame or others like these:

video: [www.youtube.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 17:52 by retired_dog.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 19, 2019 19:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 20:15 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 19, 2019 20:17

SomeGuy

Hey guy...just wanted to quote you but you were faster...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 19, 2019 20:36

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 20, 2019 01:51

While we're busy sharing opinions...

Undercover of the Night, She Was Hot, Tie You Up, and Feel On Baby are perfection.
All the Way Down is near perfection.

Wanna Hold You is fine as are Too Tough and It Must Be Hell.

Pretty Beat Up is great, but only Sanborn realized it. The version on SLIDE ON LIVE is a vast improvement. Admittedly, it sounds more than a bit like Everything is Turning to Gold at times.

Think I'm Going Mad was a great b-side.

Too Much Blood belonged on SHE'S THE BOSS.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 20, 2019 02:49

The thing with U is that in hindsight, looking back at it, it's much better than what I thought of it initially. Maybe that has something to do with the quality of albums to come? Probably.
Basically, the first impression is the most truthful one though. I remember the first single promising a lot. Which wasn't really delivered by the album.
Still I think it's their best post TY album though. Jagger's voice still intact, guitars sounding good and a very clean production.

Date: July 20, 2019 04:35

Stoneage
The thing with U is that in hindsight, looking back at it, it's much better than what I thought of it initially. Maybe that has something to do with the quality of albums to come? Probably.
Basically, the first impression is the most truthful one though. I remember the first single promising a lot. Which wasn't really delivered by the album.
Still I think it's their best post TY album though. Jagger's voice still intact, guitars sounding good and a very clean production.

Exactly that Undercover had in common with DW - first singles promising a lot that the albums actually did not deliver. Yes, nothing wrong with Jagger's voice, the guitars or the production on Undercover - it's imo simply lacking in the songwriting department, an impression that is also reflected by the numerous UC outtakes that surfaced over the years.

Date: July 20, 2019 04:38

Rocky Dijon
Think I'm Going Mad was a great b-side.

But you're aware that strictly speaking, the single in question was actually a compilation because Think I'm Going Mad had its origins in the Emotional Rescue sessions, right?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 20, 2019 08:33

The only studio album that makes it, that makes it all the way, is the one that was written and recorded in a single day and released the following day. Everything else is, by nature, a compilation.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 20, 2019 08:52

I have always liked Undercover. It has gotten better over the years. It has nothing to do with the albums that came after it. I do not like Dirty Work but the albums after DW all have some good stuff. I think they all get an undeserved bad rap. Undercover was the last of a certain sound that started with Some Girls and went through Undercover. Its kind of a dark record but here's my take:
Undercover Of the Night 8.5
She Was Hot 9
Tie You Up 8
Wanna Hold You 6.5-7
Feel On Baby 5
Too Much Blood 8.5
Pretty Beat Up 7
All the Way Down 8.5
Too Tough 9 - A very underlooked song
It Must Be Hell 6.5

Album has its ups and downs but its grown on me over the years much like Black and blue. I think people want Exile or Let It Bleed all the time and you just can't achieve that level every time out. Undercover is a good solid album and the second to last album of the Rolling Stones as a real working relevant band at least to new music.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 20, 2019 09:24

Swayed1967
24FPS
Take Undercover of the Night off the Undercover album, throw the rest away.

It's the only essential cut to be sure.

Since we enjoy mixing and matching, I would contend that their last 7 albums should've been pared into 1.

Undercover of the Night
One Hit
Harlem Shuffle
Mixed Emotions
Love Is Strong

Plundered My Soul
The Worst
Rough Justice
Doom & Gloom
Blues cover

That constitutes the essential output of the last 36 years. (In fact, I'm surprised they haven't released a Made in the Shade type compilation with those above songs yet.) The rest is non-essential, mediocre or just plain crap depending on how charitable one's feeling.

You're pretty spot on.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2019 18:51

Rocky Dijon
The only studio album that makes it, that makes it all the way, is the one that was written and recorded in a single day and released the following day. Everything else is, by nature, a compilation.

By that rationale, Meet the Beatles is the only studio album ever recorded!

Date: July 20, 2019 18:52

24FPS
Swayed1967
24FPS

Since we enjoy mixing and matching, I would contend that their last 7 albums should've been pared into 1.

Undercover of the Night
One Hit
Harlem Shuffle
Mixed Emotions
Love Is Strong

Plundered My Soul
The Worst
Rough Justice
Doom & Gloom
Blues cover

That constitutes the essential output of the last 36 years. (In fact, I'm surprised they haven't released a Made in the Shade type compilation with those above songs yet.) The rest is non-essential, mediocre or just plain crap depending on how charitable one's feeling.

You're pretty spot on.

nah...his list is pretty beat up.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 20, 2019 19:50

treaclefingers
24FPS
Swayed1967
24FPS

Undercover of the Night
One Hit
Harlem Shuffle
Mixed Emotions
Love Is Strong

Plundered My Soul
The Worst
Rough Justice
Doom & Gloom
Blues cover

You're pretty spot on.

nah...his list is pretty beat up.

Not every song has to be a 10 out of 10. Most of the ones mentioned in the list aren't, in my opinion, either. If it were to be a quadruple album I might agree smiling smiley

ALBUM TALK: Undercover
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 17, 2019 23:05

Good Evening,
I am currently doing some late hours work at the office. I brought the Undercover CD from home, that was not used for quite a long time.

I have to say, and to share my thoughts with all of you out there in the World:

!!! This Album is Exceptional !!!

I love the overall sound, the groove, the bass work, the menacing aura that it had, back in the day (I was twelve back then).

I am listening to a great forgotten gem from the 80´s: "Too Much Blood". Always loved it, always will.

"Feel on Baby", "She Was Hot", are also great, as well as Keith´s "I Wanna Hold You", and all the others!

You should heard it again, one of these days.

Best Regards.

Date: July 17, 2019 23:33

my fave album since Tattoo You.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 17, 2019 23:37

ALBUM TALK: Undercover

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 18, 2019 02:30

not heard it for a while, bought it back in 1988 about a year after i discovered the stones.

was surprised to see the band were still making music as late as 1983 but didnt dig the album right away, loved she was hot though, undercover grew on me, and gradually, pretty beat up, too tough, pain of love and too much blood did over time.

later on wanna hold you seemed ok,

might give the album an outing this weekend, it has a nice sound to it, but the lame points are, it wasnt a big commercial success, songs were not radio friendly to release as singles, band were becoming to controversial but not in a clever way, more in a cheap and nasty way and were embarrasing at times although they got worse with dirtywork and undercover had no ballads. pity undercover could have become a semi classic with a bit of thought and a tour.

Date: July 18, 2019 16:57

I think the Undercover of the Night single is the last time they truly struck out into new territory.

It's exceptional, different, and yet still Stones.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 18, 2019 18:46

A lot of great songs on this album !

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 10:37

Remember buying it on cassette (still have it - though I DON'T have a cassette PLAYER anymore!) from 78Records in Perth and playing it - loud - in my car down Barrack Street on the way home. LOVED the sound of the title track, It Must be Hell, Pretty Beat up and She Was hot. The rest though...bbbbbllllaaaahhh.

When I hear it now I hear both the sound of The Stones trying to be different and tough - AND the sound of them trying to Be The Stones. And, I don't know, the production is/was too shrill for me.

A just OK record, but, for me, excluding Satanic Maj, the worst they had released to that time.

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2019 11:41

Hey yeah been ta 78 Records ….
Great shop … use to come down from Kal …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 22, 2019 15:34

marquess
Good Evening,

I have to say, and to share my thoughts with all of you out there in the World:

!!! This Album is Exceptional !!!

I love the overall sound, the groove, the bass work, the menacing aura that it had, back in the day (I was twelve back then).

Best Regards.

Yep.
Discussions about the quality of the songs to one side, it was perhaps the last album to have that strange "dark and sinister" vibe about it.

We've never had that since...despite them consciously trying with concepts like the "Voodoo Lounge"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 22, 2019 17:44

24FPS

I don't stand for this reductionist attitude towards any Rolling Stones album. However, if I would have been, one option might be to give such treatment to TATTOO YOU. In contrast, UNDERCOVER to me is one of approximately twelve great Stones albums, out of which the last three are SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 14:00

I do a weekly radio show for a Finnish radio station Roll FM. The show is called A Record Better Than Its Reputation. Undercover was the very first show, because that album was one of the main triggers for the whole series.
Me and the guest dwelled for two hours into the album, its live cuts (not of them around!) and outtakes. A great record, certainly better than its reputation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-23 14:34 by padre69.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 02:59

a lot of rolling stones music is way better than its reputation.

they are a very underrated band.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home