Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger v Rod Stewart
Posted by: RedlandsRodge ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:38

"Mick's everything a rock 'n' roll singer should be but I can sing the pants off him" - Rod Stewart "My Top 12" Radio 1, 1973

Re: Mick Jagger v Rod Stewart
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:44

Yes in some moments rod is better than mick; but Mick is the greatest rnr singer ever.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:51

pepganzo
Yes in some moments rod is better than mick; but Mick is the greatest rnr singer ever.

I'd say Mick is the greatest rnr performer ever. Rod in his heyday had a better rnr voice and others can out sing Mick as well. Mick is much more than just a singer...the whole package requires a bit deeper analysis than just the singing, imo.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:56

Naturalust
the whole package requires a bit deeper analysis than just the singing, imo.

Of course. Performer is the right word. I also think that Eric Burdon was brilliant as Mick and Rod during the 60s and 70s

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:01

Mick is the greatest rock star. Also, his songwriting catalogue with Keith has more more depth than Rod's collaborations. Rod did write some very good songs, but for a much shorter period of time by any method of comparison.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:18

As A solo artist he did way better then Mick...................

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:25

Rod is a better singer for certain type songs (perhaps) than Mick. But Mick had way more range and depth. Rod is a crooner, Mick is a Rock Star and arguably the greatest "performer" of all time.Definitely the greatest rnr front man.

And Mick's voice has held up better than Rod's, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 02:27 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 05:39

NICOS
As A solo artist he did way better then Mick...................

Exactly what I first thought. Mick never came close to EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY or GASOLINE ALLEY.

Although to be fair during those years he was pretty focused on STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN ST.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 08:17

Rod is better than Bryan Adams but that raspy voice they share is really just a Sam Cooke knock-off. Talented or born lucky? Why didn’t he learn the bass and join the Stones instead of Darryl? Anyways, due credit – he’s put out some fantastic tunes. But one eventually grows weary of idiosyncratic voices like his – think Colin Blunstone of the Zombies or Robert Smith of The Cure. I love The Cure but who can listen to that voice for more than 3 days a year? Mick on the other hand has an 8 days a week voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 08:18 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 8, 2015 08:37

Both Lennon Dylan and Stewart is very good singers...or was to be precise...Jagger still is and was also the best 1973...or 1963...or 1983...or 1993...or 2003...or 2013 ...and will be 2023...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 13:32

Mick Jagger moves (and sings) "like Jagger". No one else does that

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 8, 2015 15:20

Raspy voices are out there by the dozens, but only one Mick. He may be not the greatest singer with the greatest voice, but has a great variety in his singing that goes from sweet and tender to raging violence and he also has a most recognizable voice.

How many years Rod Stewart was a rock n roll-singer? Not many, imo. Most of his artistic life he made trivial pop-muzak and feels now comfortably with Gershwin- and Xmas-tunes. Mick is still a rock n roller.

Date: September 8, 2015 16:48

Following the trend of seriousness of this thread I propose discussing

Jagger

vs

El Fary

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 8, 2015 16:54

Rod is a better soccer player.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 17:22

RedlandsRodge
"Mick's everything a rock 'n' roll singer should be but I can sing the pants off him" - Rod Stewart "My Top 12" Radio 1, 1973

Rod unfortunately has become a major embarrassment

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 17:50

Mick never had to ask "do ya think i'm sexy"

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 8, 2015 18:21

Mick is better than any 70 year old in the world at running while singing. Period.
No one can beat Mick at that. Gotta love em for his fitness..
Hell he even runs and sings better than some 30 year old's.
That alone makes Mick the best front man in the world ever..

So Rod's got better moves and a much better voice !! so what !!
So Rod played with the faces and then had enormous solo success !! who cares..
Mick's fitter and drinks less and eats less so wins against anyone at anything to do with music
He is so fit it turns out he wrote all the good Stones songs, Keith cant even do lyrics or melody's he is so unfit.
I would go so far as to say that Mick is so fit he even plays better guitar than Keith.
Just saying..

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 8, 2015 18:24

If there's one thing that doesn't belong in art it's a "versus".

Date: September 8, 2015 18:26

...and he plays the drums better than Charlie. He would be doing all the drumming on stage, but he can´t drum, sing, play the guitar and run around at the same time. If he could, he would do it. Mick the "One Man Band". grinning smiley

Date: September 8, 2015 18:26

HMS
Raspy voices are out there by the dozens, but only one Mick. He may be not the greatest singer with the greatest voice, but has a great variety in his singing that goes from sweet and tender to raging violence.
If variety is a factor then may I suggest you listen to Gene Ween's voice. Mick is a one trick pony compared to him.

Date: September 8, 2015 18:34

If you want to say that Mick Jagger is the greatest rock and roll singer, why not say he's the greatest mainstream rock and roll singer? Because there's a ton of singers out there with amazing voices that aren't that well known. For example, Wayne Cochran. Fantastic voice.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 8, 2015 18:36

I like both, but Mick is now in much better shape than Rod.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 18:37

Boognish
HMS
Raspy voices are out there by the dozens, but only one Mick. He may be not the greatest singer with the greatest voice, but has a great variety in his singing that goes from sweet and tender to raging violence.
If variety is a factor then may I suggest you listen to Gene Ween's voice. Mick is a one trick pony compared to him.

Of course since no one has ever heard of Gene Ween.....

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 19:12

Mick of course.

Rod is cool and has done some good stuff but he is not close to being as great as Mick.

Date: September 8, 2015 20:50

Stones50
Boognish
HMS

Of course there was a time when nobody had heard of The Stones outside of the UK.
Some people have heard of Gene Ween.
But that's the beautiful thing about music, there will always be new avenues to explore, if you're willing to open your mind to new sounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 20:52 by Boognish.

Date: September 8, 2015 21:19

Besides the Faces-LPs and Gasoline Alley I only own "Best Of Rod Stewart". I haven´t put on this comp for ages, because listening to this trash made me think Joe Cocker´s terrible 80/90s-efforts were masterpieces. No one has drowned more in silly 80s production than Rod Stewart, I guess. Nothing but saccharine and empty pathos, there´s simply not a single song I could listen to for more than a minute. This guy is only in it for the money. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you make at least acceptable music. But Rod is playing the "how low can you go" game for most of his life now. It´s a crying shame. He seems not to care about the music as long as the money is good.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 8, 2015 22:08

keefriffhards
Mick is better than any 70 year old in the world at running while singing. Period.
No one can beat Mick at that. Gotta love em for his fitness..
Hell he even runs and sings better than some 30 year old's.
That alone makes Mick the best front man in the world ever..

So Rod's got better moves and a much better voice !! so what !!
So Rod played with the faces and then had enormous solo success !! who cares..
Mick's fitter and drinks less and eats less so wins against anyone at anything to do with music
He is so fit it turns out he wrote all the good Stones songs, Keith cant even do lyrics or melody's he is so unfit.
I would go so far as to say that Mick is so fit he even plays better guitar than Keith.
Just saying..

I have to say, I think just celebrating Mick's physical fitness does him a disservice. He has amazing technique to continue performing live at this level at his age. I have witnessed both Rod and McCartney attempting a mere one or two numbers at high profile performances in the past 2 - 3 years and both their voices, range, pitch and tone were shot. Seeing and hearing other rock heroes of a similar age puts in perspective the regular live performances MJ of recent years of a consistently amazing quality. I like Rod, but Mick is in a different league.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 22:09 by Lady Jayne.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: September 8, 2015 22:42

Boognish
Stones50
Boognish
HMS

Of course there was a time when nobody had heard of The Stones outside of the UK.
Some people have heard of Gene Ween.
But that's the beautiful thing about music, there will always be new avenues to explore, if you're willing to open your mind to new sounds.
what is Gene Ween

Date: September 8, 2015 22:48

mickscarey, is that you?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 8, 2015 23:06

Stones50
RedlandsRodge

Rod unfortunately has become a major embarrassment

I must agree! Some of the stuff he's released is mind boggling, but i guess if it makes him happy then that is what's important. I can't listen to it, that's all I know.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home