Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Phil Collins
Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 23:00

I wonder if in 2035 will there be a thread like this for Ed Sheeran?

I am still scratching my head how a dude like Ed, by himself, no band, no engine room, no support, just him and his accoustic guitar, can sell 80,000 tickets three nights in a row, 240,000 tickets, to his concert in Wembley stadium.

I try to understand thing even if I dont like the sounds. Like at least David Cassidy was pretty and One Direction boys are pretty and are the formula boy band thing and they kind of makes sense. I am not fan, but I see the deal... but Ed? He looks like a scarecrow and talk about boring dull sounds.

Last weekend I forced myself to watch a bit of Ed's TV special about his Wembley shows to see what it was all about and I just don't get it. After watching him play 2-3 songs on the TV special I would not pause to listen to Ed's type of elevator music accoustic songs on the street corner for free, let alone spend money on a ticket to a concert of his.

But I have to give credit to Ed, they say he made $50 Million Dollars last year and he sold 240,000 tickets to Wembley last month, so he is doing somethig right and is very popular, but then again so was Phil and now everyone many love to hate Phil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 23:01 by everwest1.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2015 23:19

When I was a kid I liked DUKE and ABACAB. Some cool shit on those albums.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 14:58

Never liked him. Found him to be so saccharine like Wonder bread. Soft and squishy with no rock n' roll nutritional value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-22 14:58 by whitem8.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 22, 2015 15:16

I believe Phil Collins came up in the late 70 or early 80 with the splashy drum sound that became the norm of the new wave sound and lasted a decade as the hip model on every record from that decade. Pushing the drum up front in the mix also a feature of the music from the 80 sound was another invention from the british Phil and Peter Gab; that ruined the music form the 80 for me. I do not hate Phil but the impact that he had of the music of the 80, I do dislike it a lot.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 22, 2015 15:57

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:44 by vudicus.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 22, 2015 16:02

whitem8
Never liked him. Found him to be so saccharine like Wonder bread. Soft and squishy with no rock n' roll nutritional value.

I agree with above assessment. However, he is not a bad guy. It's just the whole Genesis and Phil Collins genre never appealed to me. Even Mike and the Mechanics kinda gives me the creeps.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 22, 2015 17:54

In addition to Vudicus post I would recommend people to listen to Phil's efforts with Brand X. Page would have had a hard time to joining them, i.e replacing John Goodsall, if that was needed.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: August 22, 2015 18:23

I second that with Brand X, Love his drumming in prog era Genesis, as I mentioned earlier. One of the saddest wastes of talent due to pop and 80s blandness which he embraced - but lets face it, even Ritchie Blackmore (much heavier) went into AOR in 1979, which he never really let go off until he went on to medieval/folk-rock (although still playing great guitar beyond the surface).
Makes me also think of Rod Stewart post 1975, Ex Gong guitarist & Canterbury scene member Steve Hillage going ambient techno or Status Quo in the 80s and most of the 90s.

Given what happened to classic rock artists those days, Stones 80s effort are not that shocking in terms of where it came from (and they were longer on the scene than any of these).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-22 18:24 by Poetry.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 22, 2015 19:27

Chris Fountain
whitem8

I agree with above assessment. However, he is not a bad guy. It's just the whole Genesis and Phil Collins genre never appealed to me. Even Mike and the Mechanics kinda gives me the creeps.

smileys with beer

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 23, 2015 01:42

Ok, I like Phill Collins and IDGAF...
He's somewhat of a 'guilty pleasure' for me. Not all the stuff, but that streak of hits from 80-85...I enjoy the hell out of them to this day. He had a nice touch with melody and I always felt he wrote from the heart. No, he's not a great, but he never claimed to be more than he was...And damn these songs still sound good to me, so sue me...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-23 01:42 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: August 23, 2015 20:57

stupidguy2
He had a nice touch with melody and I always felt he wrote from the heart.

Even though I doubt there are five Phil Collins songs I'd just "have to hear," this to me is the pinnacle:

[www.youtube.com]

Written from the heart, delivered from the heart, beautiful lyrics, and a moving performance.

As someone happily married for 25+ years, who doesn't let a lot of people into my life too closely, that "you're the only one who really knew me at all" lyric hits close to home and hard.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 23, 2015 21:08

vudicus
Regarding Zep at live aid, Collins had learnt and rehearsed his parts in advance. I don't think he was the right man for the job but he at least went there knowing what to play. Zep tried to wing it and fell flat on their faces.

Page and Plant were awful at the gig, but of course, it has to be someone else's fault. Page will not have anything bad said about him or his band and certainly will not admit that he was a big part of the reason why the live aid performance sucked.

Phil was an incredible drummer but people mostly know him for the Bombastic 80's stuff that he played.

If you listen to some of the earlier complex Genesis works, then you will hear that he was an incredible drummer who could play Rock, Jazz, Prog and much more.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Agree with most of this, hadn't heard that Phil rehearsed for the Live Aid thing only that he was added at the last minute, without any. Of course most rock drummers have been rehearsing with/for Zeppelin tunes/gigs since they first heard Bonzo play. lol

I have heard Page talk about the Live Aid performance, he didn't particularly peg himself as the problem but indicated it was due to lack of rehearsals and that he would never let that happen again.

I also thing Phil is a talented drummer, regardless of the 80's production we all had to suffer through. smoking smiley

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 23, 2015 23:03

I like Phil Collins as a solo artist and even better as a member in Genesis. Would be really great, when Genesis would do a reunion world tour with Collins, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel & Hackett.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 24, 2015 06:29

Wasn't Phil's deal at Live Aid that he was the only artist to play on both
stages - USA and UK? Zepplin in the USA and I assume his solo stuff in the UK.

Date: August 24, 2015 06:49

swimtothemoon

Indeed... from the internet...
Phil Collins performed at both Wembley Stadium and JFK, utilising the Concorde to get him from London to Philadelphia. UK TV personality Noel Edmonds piloted the helicopter that took Collins to Heathrow Airport to catch his flight to NYC. (Collins later was flown by chopper to Philadelphia).

Aside from his own set at both venues, he also played the drums for Eric Clapton, and played with the reuniting surviving members of Led Zeppelin at JFK.

On the Concorde flight, Collins encountered actress and singer Cher, who claimed not to know anything about the Live Aid concerts. Upon reaching the US however she did attend the Philadelphia concert and can be seen performing as part of that concert's "We Are the World" finale.

So that is pretty cool, no matter how much someone might hate him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 06:53 by everwest1.

Date: August 24, 2015 07:02

Thanks everwest1. Yes I remember the live coverage. Not sure if it made it on the DVD. Maybe one day they will issue a complete DVD set. That is a funny tidbit about Cher.

Date: August 24, 2015 07:13

swimtothemoon
Thanks everwest1. Yes I remember the live coverage. Not sure if it made it on the DVD. Maybe one day they will issue a complete DVD set. That is a funny tidbit about Cher.
That is a funny Cher bit.

I imagine Cher saying "I know nothing about it, but it sounds like fun, I will go too" and that was before Phil even invited her along. Cher is pushy like that.

And some say that Cher didnt like Phil's attitude that day and after the show she may have been one of the first people to jump on and throttle the hate phil bandwagon.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: August 24, 2015 07:13

swimtothemoon
Yes Phil played London then flew over to The States on the Concorde landed in New York then a helicopter to Philly. I was at the Philly show and remember watching the feed from London when Phil announced something like...see you in a couple hours Philly. The sun had just set in Philly and it was cooling off a bit it was a very hot day. The Philly fire department had come in during the day and sprayed us down with fire hoses to help the crowd cool off. It was a beautiful evening and Phil played "In The Air" and "Against All Odds" not a big Phil Collins fan I have to say it was one of highlights of the day. As far as Led Zep goes Phil Collins was the least of their problems they were a true train wreck that day. Collins also sat in with Clapton on his 3 song set and did fine. Again I'm not a fan of Phil Collins but that day I was.The whole day was just a very cool time!

Date: August 24, 2015 08:05

Wow great memory for you to have been there Fleabitmonkey. I ended up watching
And recording the entire show. As I remember, coverage began around 5 or 6
in the morning - central time USA. The Keith, Ronnie and Dylan segment was also
A well known train wreck - but still cool to watch. This must have been about
The time Mick and Keith were at odds. Mick's segment was okay too with Daryl Hall, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks and Tina. Must have been exciting to be there - not knowing what legend or collaboration might come next.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 24, 2015 12:46

HERE IS WHAT REALLY WENT DOWN WITH PHIL AT LIVE AID...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 24, 2015 13:04

vudicus

[www.youtube.com]
grinning smiley

JP: SO PHIL, HOW DOES IT GO? HOW DOES STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN GO?? HUH? DO YOU KNOW!!?
PC: uhm, well, it goes like...
JP: NO!!! THATS WRONG PHIL!!!
PC: well, then...
JP: NO!!! PHIL!!!NO!! NO!! NO!!
JP: AND I HATE YOU NOW!! AND SOON EVEEEERRRRYOOONE WILL HATE YOU!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 13:05 by everwest1.

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: August 24, 2015 14:02

I haven't had a problem with Collins if I wasnt unvoluntarily FORCED to listen to his awful tunes over and over in all kind of public settings (night clubs, shopping malls, bus stations, radio) back in the late 1980s-early 90s. He was such a downer, destroying the atmosphere wherever you happended to be. He owes every one that cares about music (and was around back then!) a deep apologise. Life is to short for listening to bad music, and Phil Collins to me more than anyone stand as a symbol for whatever is bad.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 24, 2015 14:13

bjornone
I haven't had a problem with Collins if I wasnt unvoluntarily FORCED to listen to his awful tunes over and over in all kind of public settings (night clubs, shopping malls, bus stations, radio) back in the late 1980s-early 90s. He was such a downer, destroying the atmosphere wherever you happended to be. He owes every one that cares about music (and was around back then!) a deep apologise. Life is to short for listening to bad music, and Phil Collins to me more than anyone stand as a symbol for whatever is bad.

Phil Collins apologises for his success after quitting music

'It's hardly surprising people grew to hate me', ex-Genesis man says

5TH MARCH 2011 Phil Collins has bizarrely apologised for his success after reiterating his intention to quit music for good.

The ex-Genesis drummer said he was unsurprised that he drew so much criticism during his career, which he is bringing to an end due to poor health.

Collins has suffered a succession of ailments in recent years, including tinnitus, dislocated vertebra and nerve damage, which has left him struggling to play the drums.

"I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me," he told FHM.

"I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

Last year, Collins admitted he had considered suicide.

"I wouldn't blow my head off. I'd overdose or do something that didn't hurt. But I wouldn't do that to the children," he said in an interview with Rollingstone.com.

Read more at [www.nme.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 24, 2015 15:17

everwest1
I wonder if in 2035 will there be a thread like this for Ed Sheeran?

Bland, inoffensive music is always popular winking smiley

Date: August 24, 2015 16:30

vudicus

[www.youtube.com]

LOL!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 24, 2015 17:51

vudicus

[www.youtube.com]

I guess it was all Phil's fault after all.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 24, 2015 18:33

Well here's Jimmy Page throwing the drummers, and Phil Collins in particular, under the bus for their Live Aid performance. Starts at about 07:00.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 18:54

Naturalust
Well here's Jimmy Page throwing the drummers, and Phil Collins in particular, under the bus for their Live Aid performance. Starts at about 07:00.

[www.youtube.com]

He's a heavy metal genius and I love him but what a dick!

Date: August 24, 2015 23:36

So basically Jimmy and Cher are the ones who started this hate campaign against Phil and everyone else (once they stopped taking ritalin realized his music was not THAT good and) followed along. Cher and Jimmy must have been jealous of Phil's success and money making in the 80s, while they were not as radio active.

Phil should have seen the writing on the wall, he knew there was something in the air that night, he could feel it.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 25, 2015 09:41

LongBeachArena72
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

He's a heavy metal genius and I love him but what a dick!

Yes, who does he think that he´s fooling? The problem here is not the drummers, it´s Page & Plant. Plant voice is not working, and a shit-faced, drooling Page is stumbling around the stage with a guitar out of tune, fighting with mike stands and scarfs. Embarrassing is the word.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home