Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The king is gone...
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2015 17:52

But he's not forgotten. Elvis died on this day in 1977. Where were you when you heard the news?

"When I first heard Elvis’ voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss. He is the deity supreme of rock & roll religion as it exists in today’s form. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.
~Bob Dylan (1987)"

Dig this version of Suspicious Minds. Great guitar pickin' and what a voice.

[www.youtube.com]

And a nice blues workout.

[www.youtube.com]

As a friend of mine once put it in a discussion re Elvis, "D, that motherf*cker could sing". Go out and dig some Elvis music today.

Re: OT: The king is gone...
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2015 17:59

'Before Elvis, there was nothing' - John Lennon

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:42

long live the king!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:48

Gone too soon... and a bit too fat! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:48

Elvis can not be appreciated enough, really. Amazing voice, great charisma and he made each song his own. I usually don't like artists who don't write their own material, but with Elvis I don't give a damn. Also Jerry Lee or Johnny Cash did more than a few covers and I love them all.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:50

I heard about it from John Peel

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 16, 2015 19:05

was sitting by a radio when the news broke on a hot summer day

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 19:07

Driving in a car through Kentucky when the news came
on the radio
Thanks for the great music Elvis

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 16, 2015 19:58

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

[orionjimmyellis.com]

Elvis and Ellis, interesting story.

Rest in Peace Elvis and Ellis and all of the late Rock and Rollers. I do think correctly, Bill Haley felt like he was not given as much credit for the evolution and revolution of Rock and Roll. That probably is correct, but Bill Haley was just not as cool as Elvis, Jerry Lee, Buddy Holly and some of the others. Still, one can study the early years, his influence was big.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 20:12 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:27

Almost all the people I liked as a teen are now dead - I think the first t go was Buddy Holly

I'm told that everyone in my record collection is now dead - - apart from Pat Boone and Jerry Lee

I recently asked Donny Osmond on Twitter if he would like to be included in my record collection when he dies - he hasn't replied yet - hope he don't leave it too late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 21:48 by JamesPhelge00.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:33

BroomWagon
Bill Haley felt like he was not given as much credit for the evolution and revolution of Rock and Roll. That probably is correct, but Bill Haley was just not as cool as Elvis, Jerry Lee, Buddy Holly and some of the others.

Problem with Haley is he didn't believe in rock'n roll at all. He did it just for the buck.
Haley reminds me of Buster Franklin, the character played by Keith David in "Bird". In the 40's he's jazz sax player playing to 25 people. Ten years later he's a pop icon blowing sh!t to 1000's of screaming teenyboopers every night. smoking smiley

Date: August 16, 2015 21:12

Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Dion, just off the top, are still around. I suppose one could go Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon too, though they aren't real classics. Neil Sedaka, etc.

Date: August 16, 2015 21:17

dcba
BroomWagon
Bill Haley felt like he was not given as much credit for the evolution and revolution of Rock and Roll. That probably is correct, but Bill Haley was just not as cool as Elvis, Jerry Lee, Buddy Holly and some of the others.

Problem with Haley is he didn't believe in rock'n roll at all. He did it just for the buck.
Haley reminds me of Buster Franklin, the character played by Keith David in "Bird". In the 40's he's jazz sax player playing to 25 people. Ten years later he's a pop icon blowing sh!t to 1000's of screaming teenyboopers every night. smoking smiley

So, we knowledge is obtained from movies? Wow.

Rude and Crude Uninformed Potty Mouth.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 22:49 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 17, 2015 00:50

dmay
But he's not forgotten. Elvis died on this day in 1977. Where were you when you heard the news?

"When I first heard Elvis’ voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss. He is the deity supreme of rock & roll religion as it exists in today’s form. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.
~Bob Dylan (1987)"

Dig this version of Suspicious Minds. Great guitar pickin' and what a voice.

[www.youtube.com]

And a nice blues workout.

[www.youtube.com]

As a friend of mine once put it in a discussion re Elvis, "D, that motherf*cker could sing". Go out and dig some Elvis music today.

Just came in from cutting the lawn and set-up the TV tray nest to watch the NBC Nightly News. It was either Chet Huntley or David Brinkley that actually made the announcement. For a minute I thought it was Saturday Night Live but this was for real. I think of this often. Good post.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:01

Chick Magnet

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:18

I was born way after Elvis, 50 years in fact. I have always preferred Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly & Eddie Cochran in general, as I do not like most of his post 1960 stuff. But the Sun records numbers and his first LPs are among the best rock music ever recorded. And of all of those mentioned he was the biggest cultural influence. He brought rock and roll to the limelight.

And last but not least he had two of the greatest guitarists of its day in the band - Scotty Moore and later James Burton.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:23

JamesPhelge00
Almost all the people I liked as a teen are now dead - I think the first t go was Buddy Holly

I'm told that everyone in my record collection is now dead - - apart from Pat Boone and Jerry Lee

I recently asked Donny Osmond on Twitter if he would like to be included in my record collection when he dies - he hasn't replied yet - hope he don't leave it too late.

No love for the Everly Brothers, James? I encountered Phil Everly a couple years back here in Burbank, at a corner café, having lunch with family. I didn't bother him, just made eye contact. My god, I thought, this man (and brother Don) were on the bus with all the 50s greats and toured with the early Beatles and Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:53

...... The Rockin' Machine - 16 August 1977 ----------------------- Robert Johnson - 16 August 1938

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 17, 2015 05:55

I saw him twice in NC, 1976 and early 77. Had a ticket for late August but he up and left us. Though he was bloated the last time I saw him his voice was spot on. He could sing!

Posted by: indystone ()
Date: August 17, 2015 06:14

I had just seen Star Wars with my Mom and sister. Turned on the car radio and heard the news. Mom cried the whole drive home! His final concert was in Indianapolis just a few weeks before. Market Square Arena was on the same street that we saw the movie on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 06:22 by indystone.

Date: August 17, 2015 06:17

Poetry
I was born way after Elvis, 50 years in fact. I have always preferred Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly & Eddie Cochran in general, as I do not like most of his post 1960 stuff. But the Sun records numbers and his first LPs are among the best rock music ever recorded. And of all of those mentioned he was the biggest cultural influence. He brought rock and roll to the limelight.

And last but not least he had two of the greatest guitarists of its day in the band - Scotty Moore and later James Burton.

you have great taste. agree with you about scotty moore as well as CB.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 17, 2015 07:27

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:08 by colonial.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 17, 2015 16:05

Muhammad Ali: 'Elvis was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd want to know.'

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 17, 2015 16:59

Let's not forget Eddie Cochran (20 Flight Rock) circa 1955

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 17, 2015 20:25

dmay

~Bob Dylan (1987)"

Bob Dylan did Heartbreak Hotel live six years ago to remember Elvis (maybe not his best performance – but what a surprise!):
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 17, 2015 20:28

i just watched the sinatra documentary on HBO and there's a clip i'd never seen before of Elvis and Frank from the early 60s... classic stuff. don't think mick on the beatles ever did anything like that with elvis.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 17, 2015 20:55

I have the Frankie and Johnny sessions, the complete outtakes. Everybody Come Aboard and Petunia's Garden. It is brilliant. And funnier than a governer of Texas becoming pres... wait... anyway, it;'s great. If anybody wants to hear it, msg. me and I'll send it to you via weTransfer.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 17, 2015 21:38

Remember being told Elvis was dead on the radio
I was 12 years old and in my bedroom at the time

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:10

24FPS
]

No love for the Everly Brothers, James? I encountered Phil Everly a couple years back here in Burbank, at a corner café, having lunch with family. I didn't bother him, just made eye contact. My god, I thought, this man (and brother Don) were on the bus with all the 50s greats and toured with the early Beatles and Stones.

I pretty well have all the needed singles - and some uneeded ones - of the Everlys, Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Cash inc, Jerry Lee, Orbison, Pat Boone, and loads of others etc/ Some Albums too includingg all the Cash and Boones.

I have 6 copies of a Thomas Wayne single in case it wears out

Getting back to elvis. At some point when the Stones were abroad, Viv Prince and I hung out at PJ Probbys place for a while. He had all these stories about Elvis dating his sisterand stuff and some demos he did for Presley - the main one being Don't. He was always spot on with his Elvis voice. He also wrote Clown Shoes for Johnny Burnette and was asked to finish a Burnette album after Burnette died in a car wreck. Problems also wrote A searchers hit Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya or Sweets for my Sweet? I forget which. I can tell you the pants splitting thing was not staged, I was there with him that night.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:21

Rockman

...... The Rockin' Machine - 16 August 1977 ----------------------- Robert Johnson - 16 August 1938

oh man...can it get cooler than those two shots?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home