Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why don't they play iorr like they did on love you live ?
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:32

There are other examples of them playing songs live recently and for some reason they don't play them anywhere near as good as they can
Under my thumb and lets spend the night together for instance
LSTNT built up to a great guitar finish in 2006 Austin Texas DVD
But since then it really sucks
Austin Texas version of Under My Thumb is terrible compared to say 81' 82'versions
It can only be laziness or sloppiness
Don't the Stones themselves ever look at footage of old concerts and think, oh man i really suck playing that compared to yesteryear
I don't think its down to their age because look at the way they play Rambler or JJF
And why when they do shine on songs like She Was Hot or She's So Cold, they drop them from the setlist . Go figure confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 00:37 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 17, 2015 19:37

z
In 75/76 the switched between playing it in B and in G. I can't see the reason why because B obviously works so much better. LYL is the best version of this song IMHO.

Thanks i didn't know that
This looks like the reason the song sucks live these days
Agreed LYL best version
Someone needs to get a message to Keith for the next shows lol
Cheers Z

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:39

keefriffhards
z
In 75/76 the switched between playing it in B and in G. I can't see the reason why because B obviously works so much better. LYL is the best version of this song IMHO.

Agreed LYL best version
Cheers Z

Spoke to him. He said he'll play it in any key he likes and be thankful that he has his guitar tech bother to tune the guitar before he plays it.

Guess he's in a bad mood today.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:44

Love the LYL version.

Studio version has never done much for me.

Live versions now are "filler".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 19:58 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:49

keefriffhards
Come on people why does this song suck live ??

Someone must know

äh, yes:
the stones didn´t record the studio version. It was done by jagger, ronnie wood of the faces and a few friends at "the wick". Drums by kenney jones and so on. Later they did some overdubs and that´s it.
They never tried to copy the studio version and so keith unfortunately did his chuck berry thing...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 17, 2015 19:49

Turner68
keefriffhards
z

Agreed LYL best version
Cheers Z

Spoke to him. He said he'll play it in any key he likes and be thankful that he has his guitar tech bother to tune the guitar before he plays it.

The key the song is played in has to do with the singers choice in the great majority of cases. I'm guessing Mick just tried in out in the new key and thought he could sing it better. Looking at some of his last attempts in the original key might give a clue as to why they changed it.

Date: August 17, 2015 19:55

deardoctor
keefriffhards

Someone must know

äh, yes:
the stones didn´t record the studio version. It was done by jagger, ronnie wood of the faces and a few friends at "the wick". Drums by kenney jones and so on. Later they did some overdubs and that´s it.
They never tried to copy the studio version and so keith unfortunately did his chuck berry thing...

i've been receiving a lot of complaints about the band copying the studio versions too much, but also not copying the studio version enough. can we take a poll or something and decide which it is? the feedback is very confusing for the band. as you can tell from what happens on stage.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 17, 2015 20:43

Naturalust
Turner68
keefriffhards
z

Agreed LYL best version
Cheers Z

The key the song is played in has to do with the singers choice in the great majority of cases. I'm guessing Mick just tried in out in the new key and thought he could sing it better. Looking at some of his last attempts in the original key might give a clue as to why they changed it.

That's why it's strange to me. It seemed to be much more comfortable for Jagger in B.
Watch:

Date: August 17, 2015 20:45

"singing"?? where? who? there is no singing on these versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-17 21:02 by Turner68.

Date: August 17, 2015 21:01

Mick's not singing well on this one. Can barely hear him
So it sounds crap because of Mick then , not keith hehe

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:46

dont think ive ever heard a good live version of its only rock and roll, even the love you live version is weak in my opinion. the song should have been dropped a long time ago, theres plenty better out there to replace it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 17, 2015 22:52

keefriffhards
I was listening to this today and i forgot how lively and rockin this version is of iorr
The piano and the build up to the end its just off the chart, Keith's back up vocals and Chuck Berry licks, Micks passioned vocal attack, i just remembered how much i like this song today
Boy would i love them to play it like that again live
My question is why does it sound so uninspiring these days. What's missing

[www.youtube.com]

Mick's ageing voice, Keith's less ability to play guitar (both of them fair enough - older) and worse piano player than in the 70'ies.

Date: August 18, 2015 00:25

mtaylor
keefriffhards
I was listening to this today and i forgot how lively and rockin this version is of iorr
The piano and the build up to the end its just off the chart, Keith's back up vocals and Chuck Berry licks, Micks passioned vocal attack, i just remembered how much i like this song today
Boy would i love them to play it like that again live
My question is why does it sound so uninspiring these days. What's missing

[www.youtube.com]

Mick's ageing voice, Keith's less ability to play guitar (both of them fair enough - older) and worse piano player than in the 70'ies.

Surprised no one has mentioned the piano. You are right, it makes a lot of difference. I think your view on this is most likely why it sucks live, a combination of your 3 points. Thanks

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:44

Isn't the studio cut Mick, Ronnie (pre Stones) and a bunch of other people? Maybe that's why.

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 00:44 by OldSoul.

Date: August 18, 2015 01:03

OldSoul
Isn't the studio cut Mick, Ronnie (pre Stones) and a bunch of other people? Maybe that's why.

+ 3 or 4 Keith guitars smiling smiley

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 02:34

It doesn't always suck live now, but when it does...

Chuck Leavell depended on instead of Chuck Berry

Also - to reproduce the album version would require acoustic rhythm guitar. Ronnie could do it. Would it kill them? They could have tried it on Strpped.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 02:41 by andrews27.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2015 02:58

buttons67
dont think ive ever heard a good live version of its only rock and roll, even the love you live version is weak in my opinion. the song should have been dropped a long time ago, theres plenty better out there to replace it.

did you see MJ with the Foo Fighters on SNL? That is the way you're supposed to play it, like you care if it's a good song or not.

Date: August 18, 2015 03:04

Turner68
deardoctor
keefriffhards

Someone must know

äh, yes:

i've been receiving a lot of complaints about the band copying the studio versions too much, but also not copying the studio version enough. can we take a poll or something and decide which it is? the feedback is very confusing for the band. as you can tell from what happens on stage.

Let's keep it simple, play it exactly like the studio, unless you can do a better job of it.

A sampling of songs that should stay the same:
Rocks Off
She's So Cold
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock and Roll

These are the penultimate versions...the odds of them sounding better live are remote, so don't even bother. They're perfect.

A sampling of songs that get better with experimentation:
Midnight Rambler
Out Of Control
Tumbling Dice
Time Is On My Side
Gimme Shelter (actually on the fence with this one)

Anyway, we'll go to the shows regardless so the whole discussion becomes a bit moot.

Date: August 18, 2015 04:25

treaclefingers
Turner68
deardoctor
keefriffhards

Someone must know

äh, yes:

Let's keep it simple, play it exactly like the studio, unless you can do a better job of it.

Rocks Off
She's So Cold
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock and Roll

These are the penultimate versions...the odds of them sounding better live are remote, so don't even bother. They're perfect.

Midnight Rambler
Out Of Control
Tumbling Dice
Time Is On My Side

Anyway, we'll go to the shows regardless so the whole discussion becomes a bit moot.

hmm, IMO satisfaction, JJF, and IORR are all played differently live than in the studio. are you saying you'd like them to try harder to replicate the studio version (e.g., the JJF intro, or the Stones-sounding satisfaction instead of the otis redding one?)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 18, 2015 12:38

donvis
The Foo Fighters version kicked ass.

Yeah, saw it again by accident yesterday, the guitars are really great, very close to the IORR version, yet "harder". Surely Mick must have heard the difference too? Guess it's a fight he didn't want to pick with Keith...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 19, 2015 07:07

Turner68
treaclefingers
Turner68
deardoctor
keefriffhards

Someone must know

äh, yes:

Rocks Off
She's So Cold
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock and Roll

Midnight Rambler
Out Of Control
Tumbling Dice
Time Is On My Side

hmm, IMO satisfaction, JJF, and IORR are all played differently live than in the studio. are you saying you'd like them to try harder to replicate the studio version (e.g., the JJF intro, or the Stones-sounding satisfaction instead of the otis redding one?)

Yes, exactly what I'm saying. They've created the penultimate recording. All they have to do now is get remotely close to it in concert. Experimenting on those tunes rarely ends well. I love the Otis version of Satisfaction!

I just don't love the Stones covering Otis, covering Satisfaction.

It's pointless...they don't sound as good doing the Otis version, but they sound great doing the Stones version.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home