Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: ALBUM TALK: It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2023 18:31

LeonidP
SomeGuy
I couldn't agree with you more on the Big Four issue. Actually I never wholeheartedly embraced that concept, because it suggests that the previous and later albums are less valuable, which of course is not the case. I for one love the early years a lot.
Perhaps that's part of the reason why I felt the need to extend the number of 'Big' albums a bit. Most Stones albums are Big! Seeing how many records they have made and how very few of them aren't good, I mean, really.
Having said that, of course some albums are more equal than others, to paraphrase Orwell. To me, the next Biggest Record after IORR that came out was TY. For others, SG was that moment, so there ya go...

The 'big 4', from my perspective (and I think many others would agree) are the 'big 4' for a reason. It really starts with Let's Spend the Night/Ruby Tuesday, this is when the Stones took their songwriting (and playing) to a whole new level of brilliance, including non-album songs like JJF and Honky Tonk W. It's not necessarily saying the previous albums are less valuable - they are fantastic too (most of them) and have a huge place in the Stones history. But 95% of the people that know/love the Stones do know them from songs in those 'big 4' for the most part. JJF, Sympathy, Honky, You Can't Always Get, Brown Sugar, Happy, etc. WOW, it was truly an amazing run, one that I wished I could have experienced real time, rather than discovering about them in the 80s.

Well if you're including singles clearly you'd have to go back to Satisfaction as the spark that started it all and you also missed Paint It Black. If you look at the most streamed Stones songs I think those two sit on top.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 20, 2023 19:02

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-20 22:34 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2023 05:49

LeonidP
SomeGuy
I couldn't agree with you more on the Big Four issue. Actually I never wholeheartedly embraced that concept, because it suggests that the previous and later albums are less valuable, which of course is not the case. I for one love the early years a lot.
Perhaps that's part of the reason why I felt the need to extend the number of 'Big' albums a bit. Most Stones albums are Big! Seeing how many records they have made and how very few of them aren't good, I mean, really.
Having said that, of course some albums are more equal than others, to paraphrase Orwell. To me, the next Biggest Record after IORR that came out was TY. For others, SG was that moment, so there ya go...

The 'big 4', from my perspective (and I think many others would agree) are the 'big 4' for a reason. It really starts with Let's Spend the Night/Ruby Tuesday, this is when the Stones took their songwriting (and playing) to a whole new level of brilliance, including non-album songs like JJF and Honky Tonk W. It's not necessarily saying the previous albums are less valuable - they are fantastic too (most of them) and have a huge place in the Stones history. But 95% of the people that know/love the Stones do know them from songs in those 'big 4' for the most part. JJF, Sympathy, Honky, You Can't Always Get, Brown Sugar, Happy, etc. WOW, it was truly an amazing run, one that I wished I could have experienced real time, rather than discovering about them in the 80s.

Those songs that you missed in real time are (still and always will be) great; the print doesn't change. When you found them was your now.

Think of fans like VoodooLounge13 - way late, yet still has found a love for everything else.

Someone saying they only like the Taylor years, well, that's snobbery. But someone saying they only like SOME GIRLS... that's specific.

The critics, those of album and show reviews, have been tied down to a growing narrative - the history of The Rolling Stones.

Critics in 1975-1978 sound completely different than those in 1981, 1989 or 1997. Etc on and on.

A fan, however, can listen to an album and not be swayed because they know. Critically SANTANIC MAJESTIES is a horrendous album, their second worst ever, yet... there are times when a fan's view coincides with a critical view.

So be it. It's only rock'n'roll. But that album should've been an EP - it has some great tracks on it. As an album it sucks.

It's a joy to see HACKNEY DIAMONDS do well on the charts all the while knowing it's just a moment, it's not 1989 or 1994 when record sales were a continuous thing.

Think about that for a minute - not the best of The Rolling Stones in terms of charting, right, yet... the charts said people loved whatever for a moment.

They loved EMOTIONAL RESCUE, too.

But.

That's not what the charts said. The charts aren't totally about how people feel. "Oh so how do you explain DARK SIDE OF THE MOON or LED ZEPPELIN 4 or The Eagles hits album and Michael Jackson..."

That part of "That's not what the charts said/how people feel" is absolutely clear. It may be for a moment, like Hootie And The Blowfish (14 million people can be wrong etc), but The Rolling Stones have how many moments?

Let's see... 1964-2023. With a few off years.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2023 11:33

treaclefingers
LeonidP
SomeGuy

Well if you're including singles clearly you'd have to go back to Satisfaction as the spark that started it all and you also missed Paint It Black. If you look at the most streamed Stones songs I think those two sit on top.

Although all the Big Four albums are classics and recognized masterpieces among rock fans, I still think people in general see the Stones as hits band. Their three most streamed songs are not Big Four songs (Paint It Black, Satisfaction, Start Me Up) plus the top ten includes three others (Beast of Burden, Angie and Miss You). So as far as albums go, it is the hit collections - HOT ROCKS, FORTY LICKS etc. - people prefer/are most awere of. It is also from the collections people only get such songs as "Flash" and "Honky Tonk" (plus the key numbers from the Big Four).

Besides, those 'key' Big Four numbers - such as "Sympathy", "Street Fighting Man", "Gimme Shelter", "Can't Always Get What You Want", "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses", etc. - they have been for ages classics of their own, household stuff, era anthems, familiar from radio, movies, tv series, ads etc. that people recognize without having a clue of their origin (deriving from such and such album).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-21 11:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 21, 2023 11:49

Blueranger
The first time they played it safe all over.
Not one single note on the album points forward.
There are decent songs, but they are alarmingly uneven and this is were they took it one step further in creating 'Stones-by-numbers' tracks - something that started on Goats Head Soup. On this record, if was the first time (but not the last) on which they started to sound like a copy of themselves on certain tracks.

Not forward? Reggae with Luxury, Latin jazz fusion with Time Waits, Funk and rap with Fingerprint File...All quite modern and forward for tracks recorded in 1973 and early 1974.

It's a great record in my opinion, marred by very dull mastering that really takes out a lot of the energy. Listen to the outtake of If You Can't Rock Me which has proper mastering -it jumps from the speakers with much more oomph and energy, with Preston's rhythm part much more clear. This album deserves a good remaster.

Mathijs

Date: November 21, 2023 14:44

Mathijs
Blueranger
The first time they played it safe all over.
Not one single note on the album points forward.
There are decent songs, but they are alarmingly uneven and this is were they took it one step further in creating 'Stones-by-numbers' tracks - something that started on Goats Head Soup. On this record, if was the first time (but not the last) on which they started to sound like a copy of themselves on certain tracks.

Not forward? Reggae with Luxury, Latin jazz fusion with Time Waits, Funk and rap with Fingerprint File...All quite modern and forward for tracks recorded in 1973 and early 1974.

It's a great record in my opinion, marred by very dull mastering that really takes out a lot of the energy. Listen to the outtake of If You Can't Rock Me which has proper mastering -it jumps from the speakers with much more oomph and energy, with Preston's rhythm part much more clear. This album deserves a good remaster.

Mathijs

What do you think of the '94 Virgin remaster? It's a lot better than the CBS one for CD from the mid 80s or thereabout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-21 14:45 by SomeGuy.

Date: November 21, 2023 14:59

Not sure if it's the mastering, as some songs sound excellent (Short And Curlies, Fingerprint File) and others sound like they're wrapped in wool or cardboard (If You Can't Rock Me, Dance Little Sister).

That points to the mixing, imo.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 21, 2023 15:08

SomeGuy
What do you think of the '94 Virgin remaster? It's a lot better than the CBS one for CD from the mid 80s or thereabout.
Virgin remaster is always a safe choice winking smiley. Besides, it has longer version of Luxury.

But I would not say there is a 'day and night' difference with CBS CD. This album originally had a kind of muddy sound. Although, Virgin positively came from different tape transfer and is mastered a bit louder.

The most authentic are Japanese only versions that originated from flat transfers of the original master tapes with prolonged fade for Time Waits For No One and speed corrected Fingerprint File. Currently the only version in print is [UICY-79243] that is available at cdjapan. It also came with full length Luxury.

Stay away from EU version [UICY-79243K]! This one is sourced from 2009 brickwall remaster.

Date: November 21, 2023 16:08

DandelionPowderman
Not sure if it's the mastering, as some songs sound excellent (Short And Curlies, Fingerprint File) and others sound like they're wrapped in wool or cardboard (If You Can't Rock Me, Dance Little Sister).

Keith has stated this in an interview, that the album is too long for the vinyl format and that they mastered the life out of it. There's also an interview with Glyn Johns where he reviews the album and remarks something similar as Keith's statement.

Mathijs

Date: November 21, 2023 16:15

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Keith has stated this in an interview, that the album is too long for the vinyl format and that they mastered the life out of it. There's also an interview with Glyn Johns where he reviews the album and remarks something similar as Keith's statement.

Mathijs

Yeah, I've read that. Not sure about Keith's mastering abilities, though smiling smiley

In that case the ending songs, TWFNO and FF should sound crappy, but they don't.

I've always wondered about the too long LPs. Todd Rundgreen has a couple of super-long one disc-albums (I think one of them held the record for longest, single vinyl album) that sound pretty good.

Then we have Aftermath...

Date: November 21, 2023 19:01

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

Yeah, I've read that. Not sure about Keith's mastering abilities, though smiling smiley

In that case the ending songs, TWFNO and FF should sound crappy, but they don't.

I've always wondered about the too long LPs. Todd Rundgreen has a couple of super-long one disc-albums (I think one of them held the record for longest, single vinyl album) that sound pretty good.

Then we have Aftermath...

Aftermath has a very thin sound, and lots of empty space, as it were.

Btw, shouldn't the mastering for cd be a different job than for vinyl? Time constraints don't apply there, so ideally they could make it sound better because there's no need to fit the clicks and bumps within the right grooves so to speak.

Date: November 21, 2023 19:12

SomeGuy
Aftermath has a very thin sound, and lots of empty space, as it were.

Btw, shouldn't the mastering for cd be a different job than for vinyl? Time constraints don't apply there, so ideally they could make it sound better because there's no need to fit the clicks and bumps within the right grooves so to speak.
Correct. If you will start from original multitracks. But in the case of CDs they were limited to 2-tracks master tapes. And you do not know how those tapes were mixed/equalized initially.

Date: November 21, 2023 22:20

treaclefingers
SomeGuy
One of my favourite albums, still. Actually the first Stones record I owned.

I have always regarded it as a fresher, more modern sounding album than the more or less stale sounding GHS, something which was confirmed by the story about Jimmy Miller wasting their time at the studio and Keith and Mick taking over the production duties at the time.

The only slightly dull song is Luxury, too monotonous and repetitive really. Ain't Too Proud To Beg I don't like at all.
Lyrically the songs vary greatly from arrogant and provocative to deeply sensitive, so it has all, really.

I call this the sixth golden era album, after BB, LIB, SF, EOMS and GHS (GHS was actually a step back in the series as it were, so there's only five really).

Sadly this level became more of an exception than rule, starting with the next album. But I'm sure that many differ with me winking smiley

I don't disagree at all with you here...however if we're going to be revisionist in terms of classifying "The Big Four" to stretch it to IORR, then I think Black and Blue certainly isn't a low point by any means, which takes you to Some Girls an the "next" big 4, Some Girls through Undercover. That means what you've got is a BIG 11. Now that's big!

On the other side, I think that TSMR is a bit of a dip, like GHS as you've opined, but not a bad album...you could then go further past BtB to Aftermath.

The album run is then 14...stunning. But really, that's why we like this band so much isn't it? It's not bullet proof by any means but staggeringly high quality for the most part.

Nothing wrong with OOOH's either...ok, you have to stop somewhere!

Totally agree. After the Big 4 we have somehow decided there was a dip. And one could say that IORR would be the low point of that dip. But IMo (much like Voodoo lounge) this should have been a much stronger album. The songs, the mixes were there. But powers that be, sent it other ways.
I definitely see 'Black and Blue" as an excellent album. So maybe the run goes all the way up to SG.
And to peoplewitheyes - I should have included a link. It's on youtube under 'Goat's Head Soup outtakes & alternative'.

Best sounding CD release of "It's Only Rock’n Roll"
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 29, 2024 16:08

I used to have a vinyl release of "It's Only Rock’n Roll" but I never bought a CD release. Now I want to buy one but I have no idea which release is sounding good. Is it one of the japanese shm CDs?
Thank you for your helping infos!

Re: Best sounding CD release of "It's Only Rock’n Roll"
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 29, 2024 16:24

Like the Virgin the best. You can spend big bucks on a SACD version but bottom line the album has never been sonically great. The CBS version would be 2nd choice but they cut off the fade out on Luxury which is a highlight of the song. Never listened to Universals released in 2009? or thereabouts but If they sound as bad as Goats Head or Sticky don’t waste your money. Both those releases had muddy sound once the volume went up like the CD of Blue and Lonesome. Others may have different opinions but I’d go for 1994 Virgin edition

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 29, 2024 16:28

You want the SHM-CD cut from the 2011 DSD master. Either :
[www.discogs.com]
[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 29, 2024 16:45

kowalski

You want the SHM-CD cut from the 2011 DSD master

But note that these 2011 'flat transfers' can sometimes sound a bit 'flat' due to missing equalization.

Date: February 29, 2024 18:50

Currently the only CD that originated from that flat transfer on the market is 2020 Japanese only [UICY-79243]. It is still available via cdjapan
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
Please be aware, that there is another edition widely available in the whole world - [UICY-79243K]. This one, with letter 'K' in catalogue number, is based on 2009 brickwalled mastering. Stay away!
If you do not plan to shell off ~$30 for Japanese SHM-CD, Virgin remaster is perfectly OK in the most cases. Although, I like old-good CBS version. But that is my personal 'cockroach', I am not a big fan of Virgin remasters.

PS. Japanese SHM-CD based on 2011 flat transfer has two slightly different tracks. Time Waits For No One came with prolonged fade (click-clack for 10 or so seconds at the end, like on European LP compilation of the same title), Fingerprint File is slowed down (speed corrected). These are not available elsewhere. So, Japanese SHM-CD might be the best choice if you are a completist but not an audiophile enthusiast winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-29 20:25 by ironbelly.

Date: February 29, 2024 20:21

The 1994 Virgin remasters are generally the best for all Stones cds since 1970 in my opinion. Except that they cut off the funny blip sound at the end of Hide Your Love off Goats Head Soup but that's another story.
Luxury is longer than the version on the IORR lp that I got in 1982.

Date: February 29, 2024 21:05

Thank you everybody for sharing your knowledge!!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 29, 2024 21:30

ironbelly
Currently the only CD that originated from that flat transfer on the market is 2020 Japanese only [UICY-79243]. It is still available via cdjapan
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

"Currently available" I believe means you can order it now from a CD dealer/music retailer. That doesn't mean you can't get a Flat Transfer on the secondary market such as eBay.

The Flat Transfers have been released several times over the years starting with two releases in 2011.

Platinum SHM CD UICY-40031

For me, the platinum edition (2013) is the ultimate "It's Only Rock and Roll" on CD.

Please be aware, that there is another edition widely available in the whole world - [UICY-79243K]. This one, with letter 'K' in catalogue number, is based on 2009 brickwalled mastering. Stay away!

2009 masters are not Flat Transfers (just to clarify).

PS. Japanese SHM-CD based on 2011 flat transfer has two slightly different tracks. Time Waits For No One came with prolonged fade (click-clack for 10 or so seconds at the end, like on European LP compilation of the same title), Fingerprint File is slowed down (speed corrected). These are not available elsewhere. So, Japanese SHM-CD might be the best choice if you are a completist but not an audiophile enthusiast winking smiley.

Irix
kowalski

You want the SHM-CD cut from the 2011 DSD master

Yes, the 2011 DSD master, the Flat Transfer, has been released a few times under different catalog numbers is the best.

It also has a long version of "Luxury." The ending is longer and we get more Mick Taylor lead guitar!

Date: February 29, 2024 21:31

+++++++++++
Flat Transfers - Using the 2011 DSD masters, derived from the UK original analog master tapes

It’s Only Rock and Roll Platinum SHM-CD December 18, 2013 - UICY-40031
Cardboard sleeve reissue features Platinum SHM-CD format. Features a cardboard sleeve faithfully replicating UK first pressing LP artwork, an inner sleeve and includes an obi that replicates the one included in the Japanese first pressing LP. HR cutting from DSD master in 2011 based on the original analog tape made in UK. Comes with a description and lyrics. *Platinum SHM-CD is the ultimate compact disc utilizing the platinum in place of the aluminum to form the reflective coating in addition to the proven SHM-CD technology.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It’s Only Rock and Roll SHM-CD Mini-LP December 18, 2013 - UICY-76017

Cardboard sleeve reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). Features a cardboard sleeve faithfully replicating UK first pressing LP artwork, an inner sleeve and includes an obi that replicates the one included in the Japanese first pressing LP. HR cutting from DSD master in 2011 based on the original analog tape made in UK. Comes with a description and lyrics.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll Mini-LP Platinum SHM-CD December 18, 2013 - UICY-40031
Cardboard sleeve reissue features Platinum SHM-CD format. Features a cardboard sleeve faithfully replicating UK first pressing LP artwork, an inner sleeve and includes an obi that replicates the one included in the Japanese first pressing LP. HR cutting from DSD master in 2011 based on the original analog tape made in UK. Comes with a description and lyrics. *Platinum SHM-CD is the ultimate compact disc utilizing the platinum in place of the aluminum to form the reflective coating in addition to the proven SHM-CD technology

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It’s Only Rock and Roll - SHM-SACD - November 26, 2014 - UIGY-9582
[Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues] Uses the 2011 DSD master based on UK original analog tape. Reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). In this series, the following albums are from the band: "Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)," "Their Satanic Majesties Request," "Beggars Banquet," "Through The Past. Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2)," "Let It Bleed," "STICKY FINGERS," "Exile On Main St.," "Goats Head Soup," "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," "Black And Blue," "Love You Live," "Some Girls," "Emotional Rescure," "Tattoo You," "Still Life (American Concert 1981)," "Undercover," and "Dirty Work." Please note that this special priced reissue does not feature the cardboard mini LP sleeve previously featured. Instead, it comes housed in a jewel case. Comes with a description and lyrics.
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It’s Only Rock and Roll SHM-CD - Mini-LP - December 4, 2020 - UICY-79243
Cardboard sleeve reissue from The Rolling Stones features SHM-CD format. HR cutting from 2011 DSD master, derived from the UK original analog master tapes. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP + inner sleeve. An obi faithfully replicates the obi with its Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Sticky Fingers," "Exile On Main St.," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "Black And Blue," "Some Girls," "Emotional Rescue," "Tattoo You," "Undercover," "Dirty Work," "Steel Wheels," "Voodoo Lounge," "Bridges To Babylon," "A Bigger Bang," and "Blue & Lonesome."

++++++
It's Only Rock 'n Roll - Hi-Res CD - MQA x UHQCD June 20, 2018 UICY-40166

Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2011, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Date: February 29, 2024 21:32

Thank you to IornBelly who generously taught me much about Rolling Stones releases. He knows his stuff!

Date: February 29, 2024 22:07

Again: Thank you everybody!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 1, 2024 10:21

I tend to be a vinyl dinosaur...but IORR could stand the same treatment as that Giles Martin GHS.

It's not better in every way. The emphasis on certain individual recorded parts is sometimes changed to a diminishing effect for example...but it is on the whole a very good sounding record.

[ I've always thought that the album cut of the IORR title track in particular ought to be EQd and balanced more like the original single cut...because that has an energy which captures what it's all about ! ]

Date: March 1, 2024 12:16

If there is one album that is in need of a remastering it is IORR. All releases sound dull and flat as they mastered the life out of it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 1, 2024 12:25

Mathijs

If there is one album that is in need of a remastering it is IORR.

Yep, I've listened to the 2011 SACD for comparison - and the sound quality is not what I'm used from SACDs.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 1, 2024 12:45

Honestly - for IORR I actually think the 2009 Universal master is the best. Yes it's a bit on Viagra and has less dynamics but doesn't sound as dull and lifeless as other releases.

It's probably the only album in the Stones catalogue that I prefer the Universal master. Give it a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-01 12:45 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 1, 2024 13:00

Mathijs
If there is one album that is in need of a remastering it is IORR. All releases sound dull and flat as they mastered the life out of it.

Mathijs

Yep..it just sounds way too laid back and listless.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 1, 2024 13:14

StonedRambler
Honestly - for IORR I actually think the 2009 Universal master is the best. Yes it's a bit on Viagra and has less dynamics but doesn't sound as dull and lifeless as other releases.

It's probably the only album in the Stones catalogue that I prefer the Universal master. Give it a thy.

I share your view on the 2009 IORR.

In general, i think that the general consensus here that Marcussen's work is crap is a little unfair. But maybe because I'm not against Viagra ...

C

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home