Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith in Esquire
Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 6, 2015 17:51

Keith was just stating his opinion when it comes to Peppers and some will agree and some will not. Personally I prefer the Stones psychedelic stuff over the Beatles for the most part. There is some good stuff on TSMR and some crap but overall their dip into psychedelia had more of an edge than the Beatles and I always preferred that.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 6, 2015 18:15

Boognish
Stones50
Turner68
Keith Richards is the man.

Yes he is. Speaks the truth. It is rubbish
Why is Sgt. Pepper rubbish? Explain please smiling smiley

The original point — before he threw the "rubbish" grenade — was that psychedelic music is rootless, which is quite a bit less controversial.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2015 18:55

Mel Belli
Boognish
Stones50
Turner68
Keith Richards is the man.

Yes he is. Speaks the truth. It is rubbish
Why is Sgt. Pepper rubbish? Explain please smiling smiley

The original point — before he threw the "rubbish" grenade — was that psychedelic music is rootless, which is quite a bit less controversial.

The rootless thing is such strange comment to apply to the Sgt. Pepper record really. Most of the songs on that record actually have pretty solid roots in Indian, American and European music that preceded it and while experimentation with studio recording techniques was prevalent, I think original and creative are better descriptions of that record. Good and welcome things when it comes to new music, imo.

The whole psychedelic music movement bore some amazing fruit and opened lots of creative doors. I think lots of early 70's rock and roll benefited from the phenomenon, stuff that wasn't psychedelic, per se, but would have been a lot less interesting without the psychedelia that came before and creeped into the music. Regardless of whether the musicians of the time embraced it directly, it effected almost everyone. I'd go as far as to say we wouldn't have had BB and LIB without the intentional movement the Stones made to try to move away from the whole thing and ground themselves somewhat after the "rootless" Satanic Majesties period.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:25

Keith likes to stir the pot...the Peppers remark was most likely off the cuff, and I don't think should be taken too seriously. It could very well have been followed up with more explanation from him, but the editors chose to go with what they printed to sell more copies. .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:38

In any event, the whole world is talking about it, so more sales for Esquire and Keith's new album.

Mission accomplished.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:54

Koen
In any event, the whole world is talking about it, so more sales for Esquire and Keith's new album.

Mission accomplished.

I'm not so sure the remark will help Keith's album sales. Judging by social media, most of the comments have been negative...people don't like when you slag off the almighty Sgt. Peppers. Not that Keith would give a crap. cool smiley

Re: Keith in Esquire September 2015
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 6, 2015 23:25

Keith is just jealous of Sgt Pepper, what the hell is he thinking. Roots no shit. Great Pop and pyschdelic yes

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:50

Clearly, the Beatles lost their way after Sgt. Peppers, foisting such minor works as Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, The White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be and The Beatles Again/Hey Jude on an obviously duped public.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 7, 2015 07:16

Great interview! The interviewer levels with Keith and actually gets more than the usual soundbites out of him. Just great!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 7, 2015 12:12

Well, Keith's comment has been all over the radio and papers in the Uk yesterday and today. For me it seems to have been taken out of context and blown out of proportion. It's a classic Keith remark but this time it's about the Beatles and their precious SGt Pepper recording.

From reading the article in full it feels like he was meaning the whole hippy trippy music of that era and just used that album as an example...either way it's got him a load of air time and print...perfect when you have a new album coming out yourself!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 7, 2015 12:21

Not liking the Sgt Pepper-album is no crime.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 7, 2015 12:40

Great Keith. He knows music.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 7, 2015 18:53

Great interview.
I'm sure Keith has done an interview for Guitar World....or Guitar Magazine.
Hes probably just forgotten.

No mention of Johnny Depp...Pirates Film no5...or the documentary.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 7, 2015 19:01

jlowe
Great interview.

Well, he didn't say he hasn't done interviews for them - he said they're a struggle for him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 7, 2015 19:16

with sssoul
jlowe
Great interview.

Well, he didn't say he hasn't done interviews for them - he said they're a struggle for him.

Keith has indeed talked about guitars and gear in great detail. In the 70's and 80's he was pretty up to date and extremely knowledgeable about such things. I think he just became lazy about it all in the last couple decades and when the sheer amount of guitar information and technology just exploded beyond his ability to keep up with it, he lost interest in it all. He basically farmed the job out to Pierre and retreated to the luxury and image of "I just play the things, man".

Date: August 7, 2015 19:52

If their not the Blues, Keith doesn't care for them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2015 20:51

HMS
Not liking the Sgt Pepper-album is no crime.

at least no capital crime

Date: August 7, 2015 20:56

Javadave
Clearly, the Beatles lost their way after Sgt. Peppers, foisting such minor works as Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, The White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be and The Beatles Again/Hey Jude on an obviously duped public.

I guess you're joking

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 7, 2015 23:20

Hey keith, Come on.
No more interviews !!! although it was a great ne, this ne.

But.............lets Roll and Rock, Give us the dates of the Keef solo Gigs !!

One Love !!

jeroen

Keith & Her Satanic Peppers Request
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: August 8, 2015 01:37

The know all mystical guru Keith Richards...speaks again.
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 01:41 by 2120Wolf.

Re: Keith & Her Satanic Peppers Request
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2015 01:50

For The Non Benefit Of Mr Kite ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2015 02:01

Rockman
For The Non Benefit Of Mr Kite ...............

Yes...To bad there is not a show tonight.

Date: August 8, 2015 02:13

Vaudeville now days

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2015 02:17

Dylan...The last man standing out of the spirit of Vaudville !!!

Date: August 8, 2015 02:18

You said it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 8, 2015 02:22

2120Wolf
Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.

Truth.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 8, 2015 04:33

2120Wolf
The know all mystical guru Keith Richards...speaks again.

So now you are a fool if your opinion is different then others? Music is subjective. What next someone is a fool is they don't think Halle Berry is hot?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 8, 2015 04:41

I'll take Revolver over Pepper any day of the week. It's a much more interesting album. But, than, again, I'll take Pepper over Satanic Majesties any day of the week. For what it is, it's the better album of the two.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 8, 2015 15:51

Agreed- Pepper is a good record but way over-rated. Revolver and Rubber Soul were better. But Pepper is better than Satanic Majesties so probably best not to throw stones...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 8, 2015 17:35

I didn't live through it, but I just don't see a lot of daylight between what the Beatles did and what the Stones, Who, Kinks, etc. were doing. Culturally, it's true, the Beatles predominated. But musically? I feel like so much of what's said and written about them is just hagiographic conventional wisdom.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home