Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: ALBUM TALK: Exile On Main Street
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:27

VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
VoodooLounge13
Thanks treacle. I confused myself on this thread! For some reason I was thinking that the 2014 edition was only SHM and not SACD. So I can just go with the 2014 editions, which are a little cheaper (not by much mind you!) and most likely easier to come by, to go along with my wonderful Virgin versions. Ugh. Hate having multiple CD copies of the same thing for just trying to have a definitive sounding version! LOL Good Lord I thought it was bad enough when I was sucked into buying all versions of a Super Deluxe!!!
All Japanese SHM-SACD discs listed in the table above are not an easy catch. It does not matter 2011 or 2014. And they are overpriced on the second hand market.
It seems the 2011 versions are mini-LP versions, no? That's what I've found online for descriptions anyway. I don't need to pay again for those, as I do very much love the Virgin ones, and the slightly larger size. If the companies were to re-do the entire catalog in 7-inch packaging with SACD technology flat transferred from the original "unmastered" tapes, I'd have a hard time not buying the whole damn catalog again! Love those 7-inch versions they did!!!
2011 SHM-SACD in mini-LP replica
2014 SHM-SACD in jewel case
2013-2014 SHM-platinum CD in oversized cartoon box with mini-LP replica inside
2013-2014 SHM-CD in mini-LP replica
2020 SHM-CD in mini-LP replica

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:32

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
But even though both SACD and SHM are pulled from the same source, the SHM CDs don't have the same sound as the SACD CDs, do they? I thought I'd read on here somewhere once that SACD is the process and SHM is just the quality of the CD plastic itself, or am I wrong about that? Such that, technically, the SACD SHM-CD would then be the definitive version, whereas the plain SHM CD would not have the same expanse upon listening as a SACD. I think of those Abkco reissues and how sonically better they sounded upon release. Beggars especially I truly loved in that format.

I believe you are correct. The 2002 was a 'hybrid' release meaning it had two layers and you could play it on a regular CD - because SACD wasn't a large market - was great because you could always 'update' later.

The fact that new rereleases are on SHM either means that they've thrown in the towel on SACD, or perhaps more cynically, once we've bought the whole catalogue in SHM they'll move to the SACD/SHM combined option.

It never ends.

When my SACD player went kaput I replaced with the a Blu Ray player. The SACD's, to me, sound just as good since I'm hearing the DSD layer. Anyone you look at it, nice title, they were a great improvement over what was originally issued on CD in the 80s.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 03:23

Maybe that's why the sound was always so good - I used to play the 2002 Abkco's thru a BluRay that was hooked up to my surround system. So the extra layer was getting read always.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 15:19 by VoodooLounge13.

The Making of EXILE ON MAIN STREET / NELLCOTE / STP 1972 TOUR New FlipSideCT Doc On YouTube
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 22, 2024 23:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 23:20 by ProfessorWolf.

Re: The Making of EXILE ON MAIN STREET / NELLCOTE / STP 1972 TOUR New FlipSideCT Doc On YouTube
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: February 23, 2024 20:13

Great content, but a video editor could take this to a higher level.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 26, 2024 00:33

Their best album since Hackney Diamonds.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 26, 2024 01:49

Redhotcarpet
Their best album since Hackney Diamonds.
Their best album since 1962

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home