Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: Exile on Main Street, Disc 2
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 04:01

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
VoodooLounge13
I'm currently trying to get all my missing Japanese exclusive songs. House hunting has not been going well for me, and as I get more depressed, I might as well plug my holes. So, I'm looking for No Security San Jose, Bridges to Bremen - both Bluray/CD sets; ordering GHS Super Deluxe, Copa, LIB 7" SACD, and Stripped Olympia; and trying to track down Ole Ole Ole with the Japanese bonus tracks.
Good luck with your project. It could be a burden taking the fact that some of the editions you mentioned are out of print.

Yes indeed! Thank you though. I have both San Jose and Bremen, and I bought them before I realized there were bonus tracks, which irritates me. I hate having to buy this stuff more than once, unless it's for a good reason, like an anniversary edition, or a super deluxe.

Well and until you own at least 10 copies of Exile or Sticky Fingers, I'd say you weren't committed enough. COME ON JUST DO IT!

LOL I think Sticky probably comes the closest. I had originally bought a CD version of it back in the late 90's after seeing them live because I was having a hard time finding the miniature LP special edition release of it, vs. all the other albums and I desperately wanted to hear those songs. Then, I bought the mini LP version. I bought the super deluxe when it came out, plus the deluxe, and the 2-CD versions. I have the Spanish version LP and CD. So that's a total of 7. Still need an original vinyl version, for a total of 8. The Russian one wouldn't count since that's not official and Live at Fonda is technically not SF either LOL

I don't think any other album comes close to that.

That's pretty good and you sound younger than me so you probably have a few years to 'further fill out' that collection!

I recognize that it's become a bit of a disease for me but as far as bad habits go, I don't smoke or do drugs and moderately drink so what the hell else am I gonna spend my discretionary money on?

Well during marriage #2 I wasn’t really allowed to buy much in the way of music, so I fell very far behind and it seems a bit obsessive now with how much I’ve acquired but really if one were to average it out over the past 4 years it’s not bad. LOL. And I just want to get caught up on all the more recent releases. Nothing crazy.

OK so I'm trying to hold back and only make one purchase a month. I've been doing a lot of hiking and camping in the Adirondacks of New York lately, so that's cut a bit into my discretionary funds. I have the pre-order of the Stones in Mono already done for next month, if it actually materializes. I refuse to buy anything from any American site until Black Friday, so that leaves the overseas purchases. And I just pulled the trigger on the GHS Super Deluxe CD Box - Japanese edition with the bonus tracks, and the 5x5 7". It was actually the cheapest of my purchases that I need to make at $186. Ole, Japanese Bremen CD/BluRay, Japanese San Jose CD/BluRay are $246. Japanese Copa BluRay with bonus DVD, LIB Japanese 7", The Bob Dylan and Billy Joel Japanese Singles Collections, and some guilty pleasures are a bit over $300, and the Ward releases are over $1,000. Those I'll hit at their year end sale, and keep my fingers crossed that what's left is still there.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 30, 2022 14:03

Doxa

... But that's the beauty of collecting stuff: you don't need to listen them...

- Doxa

I could never buy a different pressing , re-release or re-master without listening to it.

But then I'm not really a collector in the purist sense.

I'm perhaps more of a hunter... in pursuit of either better sounding or interestingly different sounding versions of the albums I love.

With regard to Exile ... I have preferences for different pressings or editions depending on my mood ...

... or whether I want to listen or dance grinning smiley

Edited to add that , for the record, an original "Artisan" pressing in decent nick remains the essence of what Exile is all about .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-30 14:14 by Spud.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Exile On Main Street
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:23

I've always considered EOMS the only real 'rock opera'...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2022 07:27

VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
VoodooLounge13
I'm currently trying to get all my missing Japanese exclusive songs. House hunting has not been going well for me, and as I get more depressed, I might as well plug my holes. So, I'm looking for No Security San Jose, Bridges to Bremen - both Bluray/CD sets; ordering GHS Super Deluxe, Copa, LIB 7" SACD, and Stripped Olympia; and trying to track down Ole Ole Ole with the Japanese bonus tracks.
Good luck with your project. It could be a burden taking the fact that some of the editions you mentioned are out of print.

Yes indeed! Thank you though. I have both San Jose and Bremen, and I bought them before I realized there were bonus tracks, which irritates me. I hate having to buy this stuff more than once, unless it's for a good reason, like an anniversary edition, or a super deluxe.

Well and until you own at least 10 copies of Exile or Sticky Fingers, I'd say you weren't committed enough. COME ON JUST DO IT!

LOL I think Sticky probably comes the closest. I had originally bought a CD version of it back in the late 90's after seeing them live because I was having a hard time finding the miniature LP special edition release of it, vs. all the other albums and I desperately wanted to hear those songs. Then, I bought the mini LP version. I bought the super deluxe when it came out, plus the deluxe, and the 2-CD versions. I have the Spanish version LP and CD. So that's a total of 7. Still need an original vinyl version, for a total of 8. The Russian one wouldn't count since that's not official and Live at Fonda is technically not SF either LOL

That's pretty good and you sound younger than me so you probably have a few years to 'further fill out' that collection!

I recognize that it's become a bit of a disease for me but as far as bad habits go, I don't smoke or do drugs and moderately drink so what the hell else am I gonna spend my discretionary money on?

Well during marriage #2 I wasn’t really allowed to buy much in the way of music, so I fell very far behind and it seems a bit obsessive now with how much I’ve acquired but really if one were to average it out over the past 4 years it’s not bad. LOL. And I just want to get caught up on all the more recent releases. Nothing crazy.

OK so I'm trying to hold back and only make one purchase a month. I've been doing a lot of hiking and camping in the Adirondacks of New York lately, so that's cut a bit into my discretionary funds. I have the pre-order of the Stones in Mono already done for next month, if it actually materializes. I refuse to buy anything from any American site until Black Friday, so that leaves the overseas purchases. And I just pulled the trigger on the GHS Super Deluxe CD Box - Japanese edition with the bonus tracks, and the 5x5 7". It was actually the cheapest of my purchases that I need to make at $186. Ole, Japanese Bremen CD/BluRay, Japanese San Jose CD/BluRay are $246. Japanese Copa BluRay with bonus DVD, LIB Japanese 7", The Bob Dylan and Billy Joel Japanese Singles Collections, and some guilty pleasures are a bit over $300, and the Ward releases are over $1,000. Those I'll hit at their year end sale, and keep my fingers crossed that what's left is still there.

Do you have Exile in Blu-Ray? It's sublime.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 1, 2022 10:52

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
VoodooLounge13

I was going to say that … the BluRay is amazing, ask my neighbours spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 1, 2022 10:53

24FPS
What do you mean by that?
Exile blu-ray is based on 2010 remaster made by Stephen Marcussen. In terms of loudness and dynamics it is not any better than a CD that was issued in 2010 for deluxe edition. No high resolution digital format can cure bad mastering.

Date: October 1, 2022 16:04

ironbelly
24FPS
Exile blu-ray is based on 2010 remaster made by Stephen Marcussen. In terms of loudness and dynamics it is not any better than a CD that was issued in 2010 for deluxe edition. No high resolution digital format can cure bad mastering.

OK I do not know about a Blu-ray version of Exile. Is that new? However if it hasn’t been remastered and is based off of the mastering used for the Deluxe edition from a few years back, what would be the point in picking it up? I have that version and really all I listen to are the bonus tracks. For all of the 71-81 albums I prefer the mini replicas mastered in the 90’s with the special packaging.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 1, 2022 18:45

VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
24FPS

OK I do not know about a Blu-ray version of Exile. Is that new? However if it hasn’t been remastered and is based off of the mastering used for the Deluxe edition from a few years back, what would be the point in picking it up? I have that version and really all I listen to are the bonus tracks. For all of the 71-81 albums I prefer the mini replicas mastered in the 90’s with the special packaging.
1. No. It is an old story from 2013. Actually, there are three out of print blu-ray audio discs of The Rolling Stones. Exile, Let It Bleed (based on 2002 remaster) and Grrr!!! (60s tracks are based on 2002 remaster, 70s and later tracks on 2009 remaster).
2. The point to pick it up is to have the album in fancy box and in high resolution digital format.
3. If you like Collector's Edition mini-LP replicas, than, most probably, you will not like the sound of this one.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2022 22:55

VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
24FPS

All I know is it sounds better than any version I've heard. With the Blu Ray surround, it sounds like they're in my living room.

Date: October 2, 2022 02:50

Well yes I can see the surround sound being an added bonus. I was blown away by the 2002 remastering of LIB and BB. Those two never sounded so good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2022 06:05

VoodooLounge13
Well yes I can see the surround sound being an added bonus. I was blown away by the 2002 remastering of LIB and BB. Those two never sounded so good.

Bob Ludwig, who did the Virgin remasters, is why the 2002 remasters sound excellent.

Date: October 2, 2022 06:11

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Bob Ludwig, who did the Virgin remasters, is why the 2002 remasters sound excellent.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2022 06:41

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Thanks! That makes sense.

It really is a shame that Mick went with the moron Stephen Marcussen to ruin the 2009 reissues with UMG.

Date: October 2, 2022 16:15

Yes but it saved me a lot of dough I’ve used on other items!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 2, 2022 17:59

ironbelly
VoodooLounge13
ironbelly
24FPS

1. No. It is an old story from 2013. Actually, there are three out of print blu-ray audio discs of The Rolling Stones. Exile, Let It Bleed (based on 2002 remaster) and Grrr!!! (60s tracks are based on 2002 remaster, 70s and later tracks on 2009 remaster).
2. The point to pick it up is to have the album in fancy box and in high resolution digital format.
3. If you like Collector's Edition mini-LP replicas, than, most probably, you will not like the sound of this one.

I recall when these 3 were released. I bought GRRR and considered LIB but dismissed Exile out of hand as I thought, what can they possibly do with it?

Anyway, GRRR! is unbelievable. A track like Little Red Rooster has just never sounded so good. Never ended up getting LIB or Exile which in retrospect was probably a mistake.

Date: October 2, 2022 23:04

Was the GRRR! BluRay part of the Super Deluxe or a separate release?

Date: October 2, 2022 23:06

VoodooLounge13
Was the GRRR! BluRay part of the Super Deluxe or a separate release?

Separate, released a fair time after the initial group of releases.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 3, 2022 00:01

The Rolling Stones had already released a blues album decades before Blue & Lonesome came out — that is Exile On Main Street. To me, the music they deliver on that double album sounds much bluesier than on the rather slick B & L. The overall coarse-tonal texture is the key. For me, EOMS is the blues album by the boys.

Speaking of that — another example of a slick blues album by a renowned white rocker is Eric Clapton’s Me And Mr. Johnson. Perhaps the most sanitized blues record I have ever come across. Its companion CD/DVD combo, Sessions For Robert J, is a much more spontaneous and satisfying effort IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 00:02 by RisingStone.

Date: October 3, 2022 01:13

RisingStone
The Rolling Stones had already released a blues album decades before Blue & Lonesome came out — that is Exile On Main Street. To me, the music they deliver on that double album sounds much bluesier than on the rather slick B & L. The overall coarse-tonal texture is the key. For me, EOMS is the blues album by the boys.

Speaking of that — another example of a slick blues album by a renowned white rocker is Eric Clapton’s Me And Mr. Johnson. Perhaps the most sanitized blues record I have ever come across. Its companion CD/DVD combo, Sessions For Robert J, is a much more spontaneous and satisfying effort IMHO.

Well the also did release a blues album 8 years before Exile, so there's that!

Date: October 3, 2022 01:48

treaclefingers
RisingStone

Here I’m not talking about just the blues covers as are picked for and collected in the first album.

I’m talking in a wider sense, about their approach towards the material, the way they play, interpret/reinterpret, reinvent and record the songs. Not necessarily blues as a mere musical style.

Date: October 3, 2022 02:15

RisingStone
treaclefingers
RisingStone

Here I’m not talking about just the blues covers as are picked for and collected in the first album.

I’m talking in a wider sense, about their approach towards the material, the way they play, interpret/reinterpret, reinvent and record the songs. Not necessarily blues as a mere musical style.

Ah well your POV is very esoteric then, and mine quite pedestrian.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 3, 2022 04:45

RisingStone

I thought the Mr. Johnson album was pretty damn good and much less slick than some of his efforts. Especially the 80’s stuff. A lot of it sounded live off the floor.

Date: October 3, 2022 04:49

The funny thing about blues music is it was intended to be pop music at the time, with performers in flashy clothes trying to make money etc. This idea of the rustic, lonesome bluesman is largely a construct created in retrospect by white scholars and music marketers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 04:50 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 3, 2022 05:10

Exile is not a blues album it covers most American music, including gospel ,country, r&b, and great rockers-Rocks Off, Rip this Joint, Tumbling Dice, Happy, All Down the Line, Soul Survivor, and the bonus Dancing in the Light

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 05:12 by Taylor1.

Date: October 3, 2022 06:39

TravelinMan
RisingStone

I thought the Mr. Johnson album was pretty damn good and much less slick than some of his efforts. Especially the 80’s stuff. A lot of it sounded live off the floor.

Me And Mr. Johnson is overproduced IMHO. I hardly feel the songs on the album “live”.

As for Clapton’s 80’s works, most of them didn’t aim at blues albums to begin with, e.g. Behind The Sun and August.

Date: October 3, 2022 06:42

Taylor1
Exile is not a blues album it covers most American music, including gospel ,country, r&b, and great rockers-Rocks Off, Rip this Joint, Tumbling Dice, Happy, All Down the Line, Soul Survivor, and the bonus Dancing in the Light

In terms of musical style, you are right. EOMS is an all genre-encompassing collection of the American music. As treaclefingers points out, my view may be rather esoteric.

Am I off the mark in sensing the strong blues feel in every track on these two records, regardless of the musical style of each track?

Date: October 3, 2022 11:33

RisingStone
TravelinMan
RisingStone

Me And Mr. Johnson is overproduced IMHO. I hardly feel the songs on the album “live”.

As for Clapton’s 80’s works, most of them didn’t aim at blues albums to begin with, e.g. Behind The Sun and August.

I seem to remember the full band songs w/Billy Preston as sounding live tracked with most likely vocal overdubs. There were a few stripped down songs like the Hot Tamales number.

I guess I’m not sure what qualifies as overproduced for you. The album sounds natural to me, for example the drums sound like they would in the room and the band is playing together. Clapton’s vocals are never really over polished. Idk maybe I’m missing something.

Date: October 3, 2022 14:33

TravelinMan
RisingStone
TravelinMan
RisingStone

I seem to remember the full band songs w/Billy Preston as sounding live tracked with most likely vocal overdubs. There were a few stripped down songs like the Hot Tamales number.

I guess I’m not sure what qualifies as overproduced for you. The album sounds natural to me, for example the drums sound like they would in the room and the band is playing together. Clapton’s vocals are never really over polished. Idk maybe I’m missing something.

To me, Me And Mr Johnson sounds cold and artificial, blues chemical-synthesized in a high tech laboratory or manufactured in an ultramodern factory. Too polished, too clinical in other words. Admittedly I am no knowledgeable person whatsoever about the recording process in general, but the way I feel is that this one is marred by modern technology, pro-tool and the like. In comparison, Sessions For Robert J sounds warm and natural.

Just for reference, aother example of an overproduced album in the Clapton catalogue is Pilgrim.

That being said, ultimately it all depends on your ears, how a particular record sounds for you — it is each listener who decides a song or an album is properly produced or not. I recall someone posted on the internet forum that Layla the album is overproduced (I can give some credit for this remark).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 14:37 by RisingStone.

Date: October 5, 2022 06:15

RisingStone
Taylor1

In terms of musical style, you are right. EOMS is an all genre-encompassing collection of the American music. As treaclefingers points out, my view may be rather esoteric.

Am I off the mark in sensing the strong blues feel in every track on these two records, regardless of the musical style of each track?

The record sounds like a dirt road. So from that perspective, if the the blues, and other non-blues tracks played are more earthy perhaps that's what you're getting at and if so I can see that, or rather 'hear' that.

Date: October 5, 2022 08:21

treaclefingers
RisingStone
Taylor1

The record sounds like a dirt road. So from that perspective, if the the blues, and other non-blues tracks played are more earthy perhaps that's what you're getting at and if so I can see that, or rather 'hear' that.

That’s the point I’m trying to make. EOMS is perhaps the most earthy-sounding record they made, and that’s why I love it.

On the other hand, Clapton’s Mr. Johnson album is deprived of earthiness to one last bit. No dirt road to be seen in front. Too clean to be the blues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home