Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"The Nearness of You" by Hoagy Carmichael
Posted by: boldasluv ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:47

Greetings,
Keith can do pretty much anything he wants to do, and I was amazed when he chose a Hoagy Carmichael song as one of his two songs during the Stones tour in 2003. It's in the set at the Circus Krone 8 June 2003.
It's pretty cool that Keith knew that song and actually sang it a few times on the tour. It may be on his Honeymoon tapes too.
I'm from Hoagy's home town in Bloomington, Indiana and the music and lyrics of "The Nearness of You" are as good as it gets.
Hoagy also wrote "Stardust" that was selected as the greatest song of the 20th Century.
I read that Hoagy called Keith to tell him he had been elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Keith was thrilled.

Re: "The Nearness of You" by Hoagy Carmichael
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:56

Hoagy Carmichael: Stardust

[www.youtube.com]

Keith Richards: The Nearness of You

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: boldasluv ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:06

"The Nearness Of You"

[Originally written by Ned Jones and Hoagy Carmichael for the movie "Romance In The Dark"]
[Recorded by Hoagy Carmichael in 1937]

It's not the pale moon that excites me
That thrills and delights me, oh no
It's just the nearness of you

It isn't your sweet conversation
That brings this sensation, oh no
It's just the nearness of you

When you're in my arms and I feel you so close to me
All my wildest dreams come true

I need no soft lights to enchant me
If you'll only grant me the right
To hold you ever so tight
And to feel in the night the nearness of you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 22:29 by boldasluv.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:21

Love this, its one of my favourite things to play.
I saw Keith play this one in London and the audience all surged forward and it went down incredibly well considering hardly anyone new it. He got a standing ovation and played a much better solo than the one showed on 40 licks DVD.
This is the more gentle side to Keith that a lot of people refuse to see.
The man is gold, and so is The Nearness of You..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 22:26 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:40

You have to be a genius to take such an old standard and turn it into a Rock-Ballad that fits so wonderfully in a Stones-Show. Sadly there is no official studio-version released. Keith can bring you to tears when he is doing this song. Years ago I searched for other versions and came across Ella Fitzgerald and other jazz-singers. But no one comes close to Keith, not even Sinatra.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 24, 2015 23:45

HMS
You have to be a genius to take such an old standard and turn it into a Rock-Ballad that fits so wonderfully in a Stones-Show. Sadly there is no official studio-version released. Keith can bring you to tears when he is doing this song. Years ago I searched for other versions and came across Ella Fitzgerald and other jazz-singers. But no one comes close to Keith, not even Sinatra.

yeah Keith puts his stamp on everything he does.
This is supposed to be Spanish ladies but sounds nothing like it !!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:26

HMS

Loved his version as well.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:53

I agree, Keith does this song so well. His version is on the soundtrack to the 1996 film "Basquiat" too.
KR "The Nearness of You" from "Basquiat"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:19

Sam Goldwyn when accepting the Oscar for The Best Years of Our Lives: "I'd like to thank Hugo Carmichael."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 25, 2015 16:30

boldasluv
It's pretty cool that Keith knew that song and actually sang it a few times on the tour.

If my memory serves me well, during VL-Sessions Keith also did a short attempt on I Get A Kick Out Of You, also one of the old-fashioned standards. It must be the music he´s grown up with. Must have heard all this Great-American-Songbook-Stuff on british radio channels, when he was wearing knee-pants. And you know, some things stick in your mind.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:12

HMS
boldasluv
It's pretty cool that Keith knew that song and actually sang it a few times on the tour.

If my memory serves me well, during VL-Sessions Keith also did a short attempt on I Get A Kick Out Of You, also one of the old-fashioned standards. It must be the music he´s grown up with. Must have heard all this Great-American-Songbook-Stuff on british radio channels, when he was wearing knee-pants. And you know, some things stick in your mind.

Like this, you mean? (From Voodoo Brew)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:24

Green Lady
HMS
boldasluv

Like this, you mean? (From Voodoo Brew)

[www.youtube.com]

brilliant! thanks GL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home