Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stadium shows before video screens
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 10, 2015 03:51

I can't imagine being in the upper deck watching ants on stage without video in '81. How was that??

Re: stadium shows before video screens
Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 10, 2015 03:55

Many of the 81 stadium shows did have a video screen above the main part of the stage. All of the indoor shows did anyway, I believe.

Date: July 10, 2015 03:59

Date: July 10, 2015 04:01

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:02

huh, missed that. What was it like in '78? cool smiley

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:13

good question.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:29

the audiences then were considerably younger, drunker, higher, and i'm guessing that they were more into dancing, singing along, making out, getting freaky than studying MJ and co's every move.

being in the rafters was probably just fine in that atmosphere, just as long as the sound system was booming!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:40

peoplewitheyes
the audiences then were considerably younger, drunker, higher, and i'm guessing that they were more into dancing, singing along, making out, getting freaky than studying MJ and co's every move.

being in the rafters was probably just fine in that atmosphere, just as long as the sound system was booming!

Lol. Yeah you are probably right. Less discriminating might be a good term to describe audiences back then, certainly less sober....band included.

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:42

Tickets were a lot cheaper back then. You could cost justify being at the event to hear the band live. Remember , this is pre-music video days , All You had was the radio, magazines and your records. You would WANT to be at the concert (sitting anywhere) , and again it was very affordable. Some of My first early 80's concerts were $6.50 -$8.50 for a ticket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-10 04:43 by StonesHood.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:47

Screens didn't make as big a difference as one might think. I have clear memories of many shows and you stayed focused on the stage, it was easy to follow the action. Being up close was way better before screens I recall.

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:47

Most of the stadium shows were General Admission so it was your choice whether you wanted to get down close or relax further back.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 10, 2015 16:59

No screens in '78 and it was daytime, so no light show either. You just watched through your binoculars and listened. Had to be careful about letting the guy next to you borrow your binoculars because the guy next to him would want to borrow them too and next thing you know they're in a whole 'nother section.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: July 10, 2015 17:20

Kennedy
Many of the 81 stadium shows did have a video screen above the main part of the stage. All of the indoor shows did anyway, I believe.

I was at '81 show at Candlestick park and i seem to remember there was a large cherrypicker that Mick climbed into and rode out over the front part of the audience to get closer..Kind of like a screen lol!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2015 17:28

Snoopy
Kind of like a screen lol!

Tee hee :E

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 10, 2015 18:42

5:54 of this video shows what it was like. I was there about that level.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 10, 2015 18:43

First concert in '65, we didn't know any better, we had no idea then that screens in arena's and stsdiums would become commonplace years later! Plus it was all general admnission back then so you got as close as you could!smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home