Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Bigger Bang?
Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: August 1, 2005 04:35

Let's face it...the boys have not made a great album since 1978. Sure, there's been a few good tracks now and then, but their days of putting out an album/cd that is worth listening to from beginning to end are OVER!! We must appreciate them for what they have done in the studio, not what they're doing, and enjoy seeing them in concert (if one can afford to).

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: August 1, 2005 05:05

you know this whole thing about how simple these songs sound and how bad they are and the musician ship slipping:

i listened to several rolling stones cd's the other day, and you know what? the band overall sounds just about the same as they have since '69. yup, that's right. the ingredients, the open tunings, charlie's snare most of the time. the harp. the same I to IV chord progressions. the 4/4 four on the floor drums with the china boy. the majority of their work is exactly the same. the country song, the blues songs, the fast song...etc.

this album will not be the worst work. mick has too much pride as well as the rest of the band. if hardcore fans are stuck in the 70's, well, what can the stones really do? time marches on and people change to some degree including bands. this band is in their 60's and it's a blessing that they are still around and not in the ground like countless others.

i'm just going to enjoy the record for what it is, a record of a few tunes from one of my fave bands.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 1, 2005 05:28

ifyacantrockme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> i'm just going to enjoy the record for what it is,
> a record of a few tunes from one of my fave bands.

What the hell kind of attitude is that?

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 1, 2005 10:58

Thanks Mathijs, I've been waiting some time for your critics and luckily you have the same point of view.

With what I could live at most is the album cover though the name of the album is more than cynical!! My guess is that it will be the last thing (album and tour) the Stones will do and they started the big rip off of their fans! They are just dead and I'm really angry that I've spent a lot of bucks for my trip to NYC...(no theater show btw. just to fear people sitting on their pre May 9th code could cancel this membership if they don't get a ticket....)

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 1, 2005 11:36

I'd like to thank Mathijs for his review, too. More or less what I expected, BTW.

At this point I'm quite satisfied with most of what I heard (RJ, ONNYA and BOMH) and slightly dissapointed with SOL. So 3 out of 4 isn't that bad. Nobody expected a new Exile or a new Some Girls, so for me the fact that the Stones release some good songs, despite not being "among the greatest of their whole career" it's more or less enough to me.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: August 1, 2005 11:43

keefstheman Wrote:
> Let's face it...the boys have not made a great
> album since 1978. Sure, there's been a few good
> tracks now and then, but their days of putting out
> an album/cd that is worth listening to from
> beginning to end are OVER!! We must appreciate
> them for what they have done in the studio, not
> what they're doing, and enjoy seeing them in
> concert (if one can afford to).

EXACTLY.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2005 12:03

The whole thing is not about G or Gsus4 (Jesus?), it´s about whether the songs get you or not. And I must say that it´s nearly a miracle that this band makes a new record (I get excited just over that fact) they did a great performance and announcement in May, they will tour the world etc. So what else do you all want?

You want a great record? Maybe it is a good one...3 out of 4 songs seem to be. It can´t be that bad then. Just @#$%&´ wait.

You want a great tour? Let´s wait, in 2002/2003 they were better than 1990 (imagine a band getting better than 12/13 years ago). Most bands don´t exist even 10 years.

You want Keith and Ronnie play like 20/30 years ago? It´s over! Nobody does! Even Mick and Charlie are NOT the same anymore.

So if the sound of ONNYA or BOMH or RJ doesn´t get you and makes you shiver...you have chosen the wrong band. I´m just happy that I´m a Stones fan and I get a new album 41 years after their f i r s t one.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 1, 2005 12:33

Agree with you Too Tough

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 1, 2005 12:42

When I first heard Blue from Mick solo I was (positively) surprised he did all the guitar parts himself, including the slide part. He is a fine guitar player.
And when I listened to Back Of My Hand I recognized Mick's style more than it could be Keith or Ron.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 1, 2005 13:06

Back of My hand - I think keith peaked with his guitar in open E on prodigal
son with his open rhythms and licks. Is this the best they can do 40 years
later.Keith and Ronnie could never play straight 12 bar blues. Again Woody
using slide is the easy way in the studio.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: August 1, 2005 13:09

One friend of mine is a real audiophile; he even bothers about the reflection of sound waves from the walls of his room. Every record he listens to is not good enough: the mix is unprofessional or the levels are too low or too high. Now he's listening to the test sample CDs and always discusses the quality of speakers and amplifiers not the music.
The same way Mathijs is too keen on technical details of solos and other guitar stuff.
And I simply like the new songs and do not think that Stones are finished in anyway. Maybe I'm a primitive...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-01 13:10 by KillRill.

Date: August 1, 2005 14:22

If you're a musician (professional or as a hobby, whatever) or a (critical) music lover you can understand Mathijs' motives I think. Because when you hear a song it should sound just right for that song. And maybe you wanna hear every instrument played in the song. All that has to do with playing, mixing, the acoustics (studio), etc. And eventually some people want to hear the song just the way it was recorded, the way it is supposed to sound by the band. And that has to do with your own equipment: amplifiers, speakers etc.

I agree with you KillRill though: I also like the new songs, apart from Streets Of Love. But I can understand Mathijs just as easily! I am also a (critical) music lover, but I know not to expect too much from the Stones nowadays so I can be happy they still make records.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 1, 2005 15:15

So you don't like the new material. Do you like the Stones? If I had those same feelings that you have, I would stop bothering about them. Your criticism may make sense, but why do you keep listening or being interested by them?

Date: August 1, 2005 15:20

Who you're talking to Rollmops?

Posted by: salar ()
Date: August 1, 2005 16:22

TooTough Wrote:
> The whole thing is not about G or Gsus4 (Jesus?),
> it´s about whether the songs get you or not. And I
> must say that it´s nearly a miracle that this band
> makes a new record (I get excited just over that
> fact) they did a great performance and
> announcement in May, they will tour the world etc.
> So what else do you all want?
>
> You want a great record? Maybe it is a good
> one...3 out of 4 songs seem to be. It can´t be
> that bad then. Just @#$%&´ wait.
>
> You want a great tour? Let´s wait, in 2002/2003
> they were better than 1990 (imagine a band getting
> better than 12/13 years ago). Most bands don´t
> exist even 10 years.
>
> You want Keith and Ronnie play like 20/30 years
> ago? It´s over! Nobody does! Even Mick and Charlie
> are NOT the same anymore.
>
>
> So if the sound of ONNYA or BOMH or RJ doesn´t get
> you and makes you shiver...you have chosen the
> wrong band. I´m just happy that I´m a Stones fan
> and I get a new album 41 years after their f i r s t one.

AMEN again....
you just nailed it, man....
it is the year 2005....almost more than 2000 light years from the beginning...
we got a BRANDNEW Stones album....16 new songs....Stones at their best.
Rockers...ballads, Blues,soul,funk...liked 3 out of 4 songs so far.
we will get another massive world tour...with all the hype around and around.
we will furthermore get another DVD with backstage stuff, rehearsals, live footage and all with NEW stuff about the end of the year.
instaed of saying the Stones rip us off by putting out two half
Bigger Bang versions , I put it the other way around, by looking forward and say:
Hey man....I will get 16 new songs next month..
and i will get all the making of footage,peaces from the upcoming tour
just about christmas.
tHIS MAKES ME FEEL LIKE BEING ALREADY IN HEAVEN; MAN.
I know this band keeps my attention since May this year..and i know it will not be over till next summer.

All in all...I am not with this negative fraction on this board,
those guys, by the way will never ever be satisfied by anything the Stones are delivering in PRESENT....
It is as simple as TT mentioned already:
Does the NEW Stones sound get you by the as....or is it just like it doesn`t turns you on anymore.
I am a lucky Stones fan....I never ever could imagine that this could be the case after their Come back Tour 89/90...this band is just potent enough to satisfy me the way I Want to be satisfied.

It will sure be the BIGGEST BANG ever
see you on A Bigger Bang tour 05/06...formerly known as the ONSTAGE tour.
salar

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 1, 2005 16:59

In my very honest opinion, after 4 songs, I'd say that it sounds better than VL, SW, B2B, FL (4 new tracks), DW, Undercover, TY (YES), AND SG. And I mean it. It's NOT a joke dudes.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 1, 2005 17:00

Esky Wrote:
> keefstheman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let's face it...the boys have not made a
> great
> > album since 1978. Sure, there's been a few
> good
> > tracks now and then, but their days of
> putting out
> > an album/cd that is worth listening to from
> > beginning to end are OVER!! We must
> appreciate
> > them for what they have done in the studio,
> not
> > what they're doing, and enjoy seeing them in
> > concert (if one can afford to).
>
>
> EXACTLY.

Boh, I think that if Stones' latest records were released by an emerging band, everybody would go carzy after it.In my very humble opinion Stones records, even today, are better that records from bands like Coldplay, White Stripes, Strokes, which are very much pushed by critics. I'm a Stones fan not only for their oldest records or for the concerts, but also for their latest records. I listen to a lot of contemporary music, but to me they are still the best in rock. To say "The Stones nowadays are dead" sounds to me as a (not very meaningful) slogan. They are still on top, in my book. I hope they won't disappoint me with this Bigger Bang!

Posted by: ingvari ()
Date: August 1, 2005 18:02

I hate to say I totally agree. But you ruin my illusion and hope. That had to be done sooner or later afterall. It's hard to face it. Always great to read your posts Mathijs.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 1, 2005 19:09

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> In my very honest opinion, after 4 songs, I'd say
> that it sounds better than VL, SW, B2B, FL (4 new
> tracks), DW, Undercover, TY (YES), AND SG. And I
> mean it. It's NOT a joke dudes.
>
>
>

You're so young, my son....

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 1, 2005 19:15

This is without doubt the most negative of Stones boards. A few of you really need professional help with your depression.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 1, 2005 19:22

Death to the infidels!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 1, 2005 19:47

Steven Wrote:
> This is without doubt the most negative of Stones
> boards. A few of you really need professional
> help with your depression.

Know anyone I can have a free initial consultation with?

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: August 1, 2005 20:52

Mathijs, that's enough.
You don't deserve to listen to the Stones anymore.
So, we, Marclaff requires and requests : if we see you at a RS show in the next future, we 'll pull you out of the place by kicking your ass and...babe it hurts...

PS : i know your face but you don't know mine ah ah ah

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 1, 2005 20:58

keefstheman Wrote:
> Let's face it...the boys have not made a great
> album since 1978. Sure, there's been a few good
> tracks now and then, but their days of putting out
> an album/cd that is worth listening to from
> beginning to end are OVER!! We must appreciate
> them for what they have done in the studio, not
> what they're doing, and enjoy seeing them in
> concert (if one can afford to).

Well, here I have to disagree! I simply love Undercover, I think it ranks with the best albums. It's raw, rough, loud and it features Jagger at his very best. The only problem is te end-mix, it sounds quite 80's and you have to try listen through it. I love She's the Boss: the song writing truly is excellent and features an encredible Jagger. But as with Undercover, you have to listen through the 80's soundscape. Wandering Spirit, Talk Is Cheap and especially Slide on This are encredible albums, and I deeply like B2B -raw, driving and even experimental Stones.

I truly dislike Voodoo Lounge and Stripped. I feel these albums are fake and never ever liked them. I hate Goddess and worst of them all: Primitive Cool.

So, there's quite some good Stones music available from after 1981.

Mathijs

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2005 21:19

Mathijs Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Well, here I have to disagree! I simply love
> Undercover, I think it ranks with the best albums.
> It's raw, rough, loud and it features Jagger at
> his very best. The only problem is te end-mix, it
> sounds quite 80's and you have to try listen
> through it. I love She's the Boss: the song
> writing truly is excellent and features an
> encredible Jagger. But as with Undercover, you
> have to listen through the 80's soundscape.
> Wandering Spirit, Talk Is Cheap and especially
> Slide on This are encredible albums, and I deeply
> like B2B -raw, driving and even experimental
> Stones.

> I hate Goddess and worst of them all: Primitive
> Cool.
>
> So, there's quite some good Stones music available
> from after 1981.
>
> Mathijs

The more I disagree with you on the new tracks - the more I agree on these statements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-01 21:23 by TooTough.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 1, 2005 21:25

The Stones ain't gonna hand over the mantle to anyone.When they decide to call it a day,they'll take it with em & it'll be a sad day for us all.

If we could step into the future we'ed see that The Stones will have gone down as the greatest live act in history to ever step on a stage.

I know we all want an Exile Mk2,but every band out there has its glory moment - no exception for the Stones.We should still thank god that they're still here after all this time,stop whingeing & get in the groove for the tour.

A Bigger Bang may not excite us to the core,but from what I've heard so far,it aint all bad,looking better than BTB anyway.

Anyway,all this negative crap will stop soon,as soon as we start walkin through them Stadium gates & especially during that wait between the support act goin off & the Stadium lights cuttin out - you all know what I'm talkin about - so be glad you're alive at this point in time & ENJOY!!!!!!!!!.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 1, 2005 21:48

RJ - fat, fresh, crisp rock´n´roll. Maybe a little overarranged.
BOMH - Like the little brother of MR. Best song since 81.
SoL - I´m full of doubt.
ONNYA - My views are known. Best new song since 1978, or 1973.

Nice to be back btw.

Posted by: NoMistake ()
Date: August 2, 2005 00:57

a good sign that it is so many different views on the songs. I think all three songs grows after hearing them a 10 times or something. Theres something below :-)

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb....with a bigger bang

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 2, 2005 01:59

All the negative fans should get togther and make music and see how many cds
they will sell,stones are the best and they are WAY OF LIFE SINCE 1964,
FOR SOME 1968,1969,1970 OR 1972 OR WHENEVER,ALL NEGATIVE FANS ARE JEALOUS
OF THE STONES AND THEIR LOVING FANS,SO JUST FADE AWAY.KISH

Date: August 2, 2005 02:05

gee - that makes alot of sense, kish_stoned! NOT!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home