Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Bigger Bang?
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 31, 2005 19:50

I must agree with Mathijs. Although I like Voodoo Lounge very much (personal taste!) I know what Mathijs means. It's like nowadays they don't spend too much time recording a song. Just a few takes and that's it. It can be a good thing, but in Stones history we all know they are not really a one-take band so to speak. They get quality by recording lots of takes of songs and than mix the best parts together which creates that Stones magic. It's what they do best. And that is proven in the past.
One thing I personnaly also miss since Ronnie Wood recorded with the band is that there are not much songs with a great (and extended) guitar solo. It's all weaving and weaving which is great, but sometimes I miss a great solo.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 31, 2005 19:53

STEEL WHEELS WAS DONE IN 2 WEEKS

Date: July 31, 2005 20:02

I like Steel Wheels a lot!! But that also was a different time, meaning their motivation or drive of a come-back... Mick and Keith being friends again.
I don't believe they have the same drive all though I have seen them on fire live once, so it's still there somewhere... it just have to be lit on!

Posted by: johang ()
Date: July 31, 2005 20:06

I agree with Mathias, the only song that I have heard Rough Justice is OK, but as said no classic. The jagger ballad is an embarasment to the Stones and its very hard to listen to without feeling sick. Maybe they should have done some more solo stuff and then come back together like before Voodoo Lounge? But maybe "Time waits for noone..."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 31, 2005 20:13

country honk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To make Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Start Me UP -
> very simple music - but you have to make it....
> get the music it out of your head... play it and
> put it on a record... only the very few know how
> to do that with succes

But this is what I am saying: I could never ever in my life have writen one of these classics, and what makes Taylor so great to me is that I could or can never come up with the solo's he invented. I am technically able to copy them, but I don't have the talent to write Taylor's solo. This why I can still listen with amazement to the Stones, even after 25 years of listening daily. But (a big BUT) if Jagger had asked me to play a slide solo on Rough Justice it would have been exactly the same solo as Wood has done, and therefore I find it truly uninteresting anymore. It's so simple and cliche I could have played the solo, and again: that;s not a compliment to Wood. I expect more of an (ex-) worldclass guitarist in one of the biggest bands in the world.

Mathijs

Date: July 31, 2005 20:14

I like Rough Justice a lot. It may be no classic as Brown Sugar or Bitch but it's the Stones rocking!
Also like Back Of My Hand.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 31, 2005 20:23

johang Wrote:
> I agree with Mathias, the only song that I have
> heard Rough Justice is OK, but as said no classic.

So what you are saying is that you have heard Rough Justice and you can say that the Stones are finished as a recording band...mhm....what can I say? Seems like you really know what you are talking about...

The new songs so far make me quite sure that I will love the new album - and I am sure that some others here share the excitement for the new album.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 31, 2005 20:23

I like all four new-ones. Didnt like T.D. when it was a released as the first single from "Exile". It will be a "Big Bang". ---and SOL---is great!!!!

Date: July 31, 2005 20:25

IM WITH U Muddyw

Date: July 31, 2005 20:33

By Mathijs:
"But (a big BUT) if Jagger had asked me to play a slide solo on Rough Justice it would have been exactly the same solo as Wood has done, and therefore I find it truly uninteresting anymore."

I also think the solo's of Ronnie are musically or technically not very interesting (anymore). Taylor could play an extended solo as long as he would and it would still sound brilliant and interesting.

His slide in Rough Justice rocks, but is indeed too simple for a guitarist at that level.

I also play some guitar and it's easier to copy Wood than Taylor (technically).

Date: July 31, 2005 21:13

Question:

Who thinks it's Keith and Mick on guitar on Back Of My Hand? Mick on slide.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2005 21:24

i'm leaning that way, Muddyw - I know for sure Woody's not on it. could be KR on both parts, tho...

Date: July 31, 2005 21:27

Yes StonesTod, but listen to Blue from Mick solo.
The slide in Back Of My Hand has a Mick-feel.

Date: July 31, 2005 21:28

i said i was leaning that way, muddy! that's as far as i'm going with it for now, dammit! :-)

Date: July 31, 2005 21:31

Yeah.. .let the devil get out of you StonesTod :-) .. come on, you can do it!!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: July 31, 2005 21:32

haha you can do it, i heard it before at the same tread ;-)

Date: July 31, 2005 21:49

my guess is that keith plays the slide on bomh

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 31, 2005 21:54

chippy Wrote:
> STEEL WHEELS WAS DONE IN 2 WEEKS

no it wasnt

Date: July 31, 2005 22:02

ACCORDING TO WOODY @ THE PRESS CONF.IT WAS,,,I NO THE GLIMMER TWINS HAD SOME STUFF DOWN AS EARLY AS FEB. 89,,THEN WENT IN STUDIO IN MAY & KNOCKED IT DOWN

Date: July 31, 2005 22:11

Think you must have misheard or misinterpreted him, Chippy

Mick and keith spent two weeks writing and working on pre-production around Jan/feb 1989. Charlie, then Woody & Bill joined them for a few weeks to work on demos.

They recorded the basic tracks of the album in Montserrat in a 6 week period from the end of March until early May

Then they spent another 6 weeks at Olympic Studios from mid May to the end of June working on overdubs and mixing.

on 16-17 June, Mick, Keith & Ronnie were in Tangier to work on the basic track for "Coninental Drift"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-31 22:13 by Gazza.

Date: July 31, 2005 22:13

geezus chippy - haven't you learned by now that you don't effing argue with gazza!

Date: July 31, 2005 22:14

shaddup winking smiley

Date: July 31, 2005 23:14

AHH, U DONT HAV THE 1989 PRESS CONFERENCE DVD ,ALSO U PROBABLY NEVER SEEN IT ,,,IT WAS 1 OF THE QUESTIONS ASKED ,,HOW LONG TO RECORD THE NEW ALBUM ..& RON WOOD REPLIED " 2 WEEKS ''... P. S. I TOOK THAT DAY OFF FROM WORK TO WITNESS THAT LIVE ON MTV>>>>THATS 1 OF MY FAV PRESS CONF.TO WATCH

Date: August 1, 2005 00:14

Whether he said it is one thing, Chippy. The factual evidence is another

Date: August 1, 2005 00:29

YA WERE TALKIN STUDIO TIME , NOT MICK & KEITH TRAVELIN ALL AROUND THE WORLD RECORDING INDIANS PLAYIN PIPES

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 1, 2005 00:33

Uh they are not indians they're the Master Musicians of Joujouka, Morocco. North Africa.

Date: August 1, 2005 00:55

SORRY

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 1, 2005 01:14

The Stones never recorded an album in two weeks after 1965. They already need a minumum of two weeks alone to fly the family in....

And, the first time I heard Back of My Hand I thought it was Mick on slide. It sure isn't Keith, and it doesn't sound like Wood to me. Also, when he hits the G/Gsus4 progression it sounds like Stop Braking Down, which is Jagger too. Funny thing is that if it's Mick, he turns out to be a fine slide player!

Mathijs

Posted by: toko ()
Date: August 1, 2005 02:33

>Also, when he hits the >G/Gsus4 progression it sounds like Stop Braking Down, >which is Jagger too.

I'm glad someone else noticed that! Exact same Mick lick.

>Funny thing is that if it's Mick, he turns out to be a fine slide player!

I have NEVER heard that hyper vibrato finger on any Keith or Ronnie
slide. It's something Brian would have played.

Date: August 1, 2005 02:36

Maybe it's just Chuck doing his keyboard vibrato thing. :-)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home