Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Bigger Bang?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:30

So, what's the status after four songs? I hate the name of the album, I like the artwork so far. The album will be released in september, but we already know that in december it will be rereleased with bonus material. A great way for the Stones to get a bigger bang from the fans' buck! The songs:

Oh No Not You Again: I only heard the press converence version. I really liked the sound of the guitars and I like the drive. This could be one of the better moments of the gig.

Rough Justice: I nice song, but nothing memorable, nothing stands out. It sounds like filler, like "just another" album track, in the vein of Hold On To Your Hat and You Got Me Rocking. Its nice because it's new, but I doubt very much anyone will remember it after a year, let alone play it. Wood's slide is executed very well, it seems he can still play after all. But, it is so encredibly standard, we've seen it all before.

Streets of Love: the biggest piece of shite ever released by the Stones. It absolutely beats everything ever released by Jagger solo. Goddess is horrible but I don't mind because it is Jagger solo and I couldn't care less, but now Jagger succeeded in having a Goddess outtake performed by the Stones, or at least have Charlie drum on it (I don't hear any other Stones playing). This song makes me feel emberassed. Its American slick Rob Thomas pop, and I hate American slick Rob Thomas pop.

Back of My Hand: excellent song, excellent sound, I really like the guitars. But, I truly don't understand you want to put this on an album. It is an excellent outtake, maybe a B-side like The Storm (which in my opinion is a boring balroom blues). The riff is an old Charly Patton riff, and it is something you warm up with in a studio before you start the real work. Tapes were rolling accidently, and after some years it ends up on a bootleg. If my memory serves well, they also did parts of this song in Paris 1977.

Judging from four songs, the Stones are finished as a recording band. B2B might turn out as the last true Stones album, where songs were moulded together in the studio, where layers of guitars and other instruments were added to express emotions. The Bigger Bangs seems to be a "live in the studio" approach, and this simplistic approach only works if the material is really good. You can perform Exile with a didgeredoo and it still is excellent material. Simple material performed simply just isn't the strong pint of the Stones anymore. Especially Richards and Wood don't have that golden sparkle anymore like in 1978 or 1981, where they both have the capability to transfrom a song into the best song in the world only by weaving together. Now, the guitar playing is outdated, sloppy and uninteresting. Maybe the Stones have given everything they had in them. They are the greatest R&R band in the World by what they have done in the past. Now it's time to hand it over to other bands.

Mathijs

Re: Bigger Bang?
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:38

So, Mathijs, when is your album "We Heard It All Before" coming out?
We need new material for benchmarking purposessmiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-30 14:43 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:38

Hmm.. quite predictable review.

All the best smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:50

I only agree with the name of the album. Sounds more like a title for an ACDC record.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:53

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Stones are finished
> as a recording band. B2B might turn out as the
> last true Stones album, where songs were moulded
> together in the studio, where layers of guitars
> and other instruments were added to express
> emotions. The Bigger Bangs seems to be a "live in
> the studio" approach, and this simplistic approach
> only works if the material is really good. You can
> perform Exile with a didgeredoo and it still is
> excellent material. Simple material performed
> simply just isn't the strong pint of the Stones
> anymore. Especially Richards and Wood don't have
> that golden sparkle anymore like in 1978 or 1981,
> where they both have the capability to transfrom a
> song into the best song in the world only by
> weaving together. Now, the guitar playing is
> outdated, sloppy and uninteresting. Maybe the
> Stones have given everything they had in them.
> They are the greatest R&R band in the World by
> what they have done in the past. Now it's time to
> hand it over to other bands.
>
> Mathijs

Pretty amazing! You have heard 3 of the final versions of the songs (out of 16) and you can determine all of that about the new album?? Looking at recent albums, I prefer the "live in the studio" approach of VL over the "studio-stale" B2B!

You could very well be right, but I think I will hold judgement until I actually hear it!

Ross

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:55

I think Mathijs has got some valid points as always, although I wish the new CD will prove he's totally wrong.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:04

Mathijs: BOMH as b-side? Now that WOULD be predictable! Why should they release Prodigal Son on an album but not BOMH?

The latter song is what all nostalgists (not meant negatively) always wish for to appear on an album, and now that it does, you say they shouldn't have put it on.

Sometimes I don't understand critics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-30 15:05 by Limbostone.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:18

I never heard Back of my hand, where can i download it?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:18

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:24

No I totally disagree. Fir the first time in a long long time am I very excited about a new release. I think this is going to be the great Stonesalbum to end it all. I think the Stones are gojng to go out with a bang. So far this album is excatly what we have been wishing for.

Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:25

I don't agree because it doesn't make sense Mathijs.

Oh no not you again. Listen to the version from the rehearsels. For me this is the best uptemo Stones song in 24 years. This song has a true Stones feel. Listen to this version and you will have to admit that Richards and Wood sometimes still have that golden sparkle.

Streets of love. It's a good song but not memorable. This ballad is better than the ballads on B2B. I prefer this one above Anybody Seen My Baby. I agree, the first time i heared this song i thought it could be a song from Goddess in the Doorway. Maybe you can say this song is not a real Stonessong. You are saying that Bridges 2 Babylon "might turn out as the last true Stones album". I can't understand your opinion about this one. 80 % from this album is Jagger or Richards and 20 % Jagger/Richards.

Rough Justice. I agree, a nice song but nothing memorable. The ending is superb. You can say the same thing about 60 % from all the songs they have written over the past 24 years. For me Rough justice is a very solid and raw rocktune, better than for example Flip the Switch, Mean Disposition or Hold on to Your Hat.

Back of My Hand. Listen to this one and a a true Stonesfan you simply can't say anything negative about this beauty. Excellent sound. When you're saying "I truly don't understand you want to put this on an album. It is an excellent outtake, maybe a B-side like The Storm (which in my opinion is a boring balroom blues)", i have the impression you just feel the need to say something negative. It doesn't make any sense. Did you forget 'You got to move'? A agree, The Storm is kind of boring but this one has a superb sound.

It's a bit early to say A Bigger bang seems has a "live in the studio" approach.
What i can say, judging from the four songs. the Stones, especially Richards and Jagger, seem to have found each other again. Rough Justice, Back of My Hand and Oh No Not You again are pure Stonessongs and we still have 12 more songs to go. Can you say the same thing about Bridges? I doubt it.

Posted by: buchie ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:32

Why always this LAST thing.....people are saying this for 35 years or even longer. Someday you will be right.....But I don't think at this moment. Sorry for those of you who hope they stop

Posted by: davido ()
Date: July 30, 2005 16:08

I don't particularly like Stones ballads
but would be willing to bet SOL shows the
bands commercial instincts are back in
tune.............................

Date: July 30, 2005 16:37

Reaction!

My "we heard it all before" remark on Woods slide is sincere. If I tune to open E and play a slide solo, it would be the solo on Rough Justice. It's nice, but it sure isn't extraordinary. Listen to Izzy Stradlin's albums and you have 32 times this exact solo. If I would play this solo in the band I am in now, everybody would start laughing and forbid me to play "that predictable Stones stuff".

On Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move: I think YGTM is the only weak point of SF. I never liked it all that much. But, both shows have something that Back of My Hand surely doesn't have: they are expiremental for the time they were released, and played with a twist: Prodigal Son is played like a driving road house blues, a rock version of a folk song, and YGTM is an exploration into delta blues. Both songs are expressions of emotions, and are extremely original in choice and performance. Back OMH is a song I could have written, and that's not a compliment. It's just a basic 13 in a dozen ballroom blues. Give me an open G guitar and a slide and I play 10 different kinds of blues licks. Write a simple lyric, add a harp and there you go, another blues without feeling. There's hundreds bands playing this kind of music, and only a few rise above mediocrity like The Red Devils did.

I made this judgement over 4 songs, and of course I hope I am totally utterly wrong when the album is released. But, I prefer B2B way over Voodoo Lounge, which I rate as one of the worst Stones albums. I do prefer complicity over simplicity. The Stones have always been a band that were made alive in de editing room. Take Some Girls: the entire album was recorded with 15 minute versions of the songs with ten layers of guitars. The tapes were given to Chris Kimsey, and he made every track into 3 minute wonders. Listen to the outtakes of Miss You and then to the official version: hear how Kimsey placed all Wood's guitars from being out of place to the exact place. This is what I love with the Stones. Take all the big hits, and hear how the Stones always knew what the song needed. An extra acoustic here, some percussion there. That's how they crafted every track.

And yes, my review is predictable. As long as Jagger keeps releasing Alfie-trash you'll know my opinion....

Mathijs

Date: July 30, 2005 16:43

>Take Some Girls: the entire album was recorded with 15 minute versions of the >songs

Have you heard a 15 minute version of Respectable? or Whip? I would like to get my hands on those!

Ross

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: July 30, 2005 16:43

Mathijs my man, I've got to disagree. I can't believe StonesTODTA hasn't chimed in with you here-you two seem to be peas in a pod regarding the new stuff from the Boys. But, your opinion is somewhat valid regarding the "newness" appeal, but I for one can tell you (just by listening to these 4 tracks) that I'll definitely be listening to this disc in a year from now.

SOL- a bit on the mushy, ballad side that (Iagree) denotes that cheesy pop stuff (I believe you said Rob Thomas) some of us don't like. Although, lyrically I feel this song fits well with Jagger's style (and Keith's), but definitely not a "Fool to cry" in the wings.

RJ- What can I say. If you've read any of my posts here lately, you'll now that I honestly feel this is the best "rip-your-ass-rock-and-roll-tune" the Rolling Stones have done in many a year. IMO this track might've had a chance to make Some Girls.

ONNYA- From what I've heard (press conf and rehearsal) this one has a solid uptempo that will probably play even better in the studio-but we'll have to wait and see.

BOMH- Raw, stripped down Blues that is certainly hitting the mark in my book. This one might be critically acclaimed for a bunch of guys who were suppossedly washed up before Voodoo Lounge.

Anyway, that's my take and I'll put you on the same "apology" thread as T&A if this album bombs and based on the strength (My Opinion) of the tunes we've already heard - THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

See ya on the road!

Date: July 30, 2005 16:47

A lot depends on how these 3 individual tracks flow within the context of the album...that contains 16 studio tracks...13 of which NOBODY HAS HEARD YET!

Ross

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 30, 2005 17:21

1. The Title. This completly grow on me. First I thought, what a disapointing title, but hey, this title is so ironic and so much in the TRUE spirit of the old Mick and Keith in the late 60s, 70s and start 80s.

2. RJ. This IS the Stones. Try and look up The Rolling Stones in dictionary, and I'll bet you'll find RJ.

3. SOL. In the beginning I thought, what a piece of shit. But listening to it for the 100th time, I really believe that musically secrets are hiding in the song. It's good, baby.

3. BOMH. @#$%& hell. This is creme de la creme. I reckon music school teachers around the world will use this a an example for new classes, starting next year.

4. ONNYA. What a rocker. Simply can't wait to hear the album version. Mick is a God!

5. The Cover. It's still in progress in my head. I just don't know yet. It maybee to much Macca and the Wings. I don't thing they should appear on the cover anytime at all.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 30, 2005 17:29

I really like Back of My hand, and RJ is the best Stones recording since Tattoo You (IMHO), someone please leak the whole promo CD soon. I promise I will buy the official one anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 30, 2005 17:33

I Must laugh, Humanriff77!!!

So you promise to buy the album when it hits store???? Alright then we all will you give you a promo of the albut. Come on, man!!

Date: July 30, 2005 17:44

In my humble opinion:

ONNYA: Average song (only heard the live take), but the drive and the guitars are promising. Reminds me of Lonely At The Top

SOL: OK ballad with a good chorus. Awful verses, but the song is more than a cousin of Brand New Set Of Rules from Jagger's "Goddess"... Strange that Jagger can't hear the similarity. I hear Keith on the second acoustic guitar.

RJ: Stones back where I want them. Perfect back up-vocals from Jagger, hard and dirty guitars. I like Woody's solo, but it gets a bit boring when he plays the same thing 25 times - and: I don't like it when he takes the bootleneck too high on the fretboard. But: IMO, we can't complain when we get a song like this...

BOMH: Blues (with feel!), but there is not much happening in this song. Great sound, great vocals, good guitars.

To sum it up, I think we're in for a surprise this time around. My guess is that the album will be surprisingly good smiling smiley

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: July 30, 2005 17:54

nothing wrong with BOMH. Simple but true blues.
It; s got something of a unfinished song but still nice to hear

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2005 18:37

crossfire Wrote:
> Mathijs my man, I've got to disagree. I can't
> believe StonesTODTA hasn't chimed in with you
> here-you two seem to be peas in a pod regarding
> the new stuff from the Boys.

For me (and many others, no doubt) there's two ways to take in the new material. As a fan and as a critic. As a fan, I can understand alot of the positives that are being voiced about the new songs. As a fan, you can kind of react to the new songs in a visceral sense. Viscerally speaking - RJ and ONNYA hit the mark. However, when the "intellect" is turned on - the songs are more exposed for what they really are - retreads, uninspired rehashes of old musical and thematic territory.

Having said that - i'm reminded of what KR said about rock'n'roll many years ago - "it's all from the waist down." So, I suppose it's dangerous to try to get too analytical with this stuff. Still, the critic in me cannot help. I think when I get a chance to listen to some of this stuff with a little (lot?) of alcohol in me, I may get on the bandwagon - I-I-I-I might even avoid puking during SOL!

Back of My Hand, though, is the clear redeemer so far....

Date: July 30, 2005 19:00

Ross Wrote:
> >Take Some Girls: the entire album was recorded
> with 15 minute versions of the >songs
>
> Have you heard a 15 minute version of Respectable?
> or Whip? I would like to get my hands on those!
>
> Ross

Yes. Of the entire album 10 to 15 minute versions of songs are available. The total of Paris 1977 session outtakes must exceed 15 CD's, and to my very own opinion its the best work the Stones have ever done.

I just listened to Rough Justice again. And you know what...it's just TOO Stones for me. It sounds like a Stones wannabe band trying to sound like the Stones. It's just too simply done. The same for Back OMH: it's too simple. It's not creative. It's boring white men's blues. Instead of BOMH, Jagger should have kept "Blue" for the Stones. It's the same kind of blues, but this one has a true edge.

Mathijs

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 30, 2005 19:18

The Rolling Stones sounding too stoney? That's the best review they can get!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: July 30, 2005 19:34

Mathis, forget the past or any comparison.......enjoy the new stuff for what it is, Rock and Roll put out by a band that you love. The new material will sink in....and that is not a surrender, accepting anything they do as good. I will be one of the first here to say the album is crap.......if it is. I know you will give it a chance, by itself it will be a fine album, and with age, it will be even more appreciated. Whenever the bands back was to the wall they delivered. They know this album is a benchmark (again!) and will be analyzed to death.

They seem to be playing what they like. "Back of my Hand" is nothing new for the band or the genre it is in, but it is played well and sounds really good. Remember, a whole load of Blues players....music Legends in their own right.....put out almost ENTIRE albums of songs like "Hand".

I have a feeling the songs will grow on you, I am still getting used to them and for me that process takes a few years. I still think of Some Girls as "new Stones". That was 30 years ago.

Give the brothers a chance.

Milo, NYC
Ranting Like a Crazy Man

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 30, 2005 20:28

SOL : it's a great ballad in the tradition of Angie, She's a rainbow. The guitars
are perfect . Charlie and Darryl great also. Should be a hit.
RJ : pure Keith sound in the vein of Exile. Reminds me of Rocks off.
Oh no : should have been the choice for a single though I understand that SOL has a more powerful selling attraction.
Wait with great impatience the release. Enthusiasm is back for a Stones fan for 41 years. Bought my first record in 64. I was 10 years old. It was Carol of Chuck
Berry. Good to hear the Stones are back on tracks with solid R&R tunes.
On the french radio they already talked about Big Bang describing it as a powerful rock and Blues CD .....

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: July 30, 2005 20:30

Milo once again you sum things up succiently. I must also yield to StonesToddTA that he's right in saying being too critical (or over analyzing intellectually speaking) of a Stones work or any other music can make things much complicated relative to impartial critiquing. Plain and simple listening often gets the job done. I think you either tune in or tune out and I believe most fans will be tuning in to this latest work from the Stones IMHO.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 30, 2005 20:31

"RJ : pure Keith sound in the vein of Exile. Reminds me of Rocks off. "

ohh come on!! don't say that! just like keith on every album, it's gonne be the new exile. come oooooooooon, get over it

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 30, 2005 20:34

Well, as usual Mathijs has some valid points, but...

I haven't heard BOMH now, but ONNYA and RJ represent the pure Stones for me. That's how I want them to sound! Btw, I prefer Voodoo Lounge ten times against Bridges to Babylon. So, I guess I just have a different taste here. I don't want the Stones to reinvent themselves, try something new all the time. I want them to do what they can do the best - play loud and raw, basic guitar Rock!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home