Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T UK IORRian cycling the Tour de France...needs help!
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 23, 2015 21:29

Hello,

It's almost that silly season again (no, I don't mean The Stones playing shows) when I attempt a fairly ill-advised cycling challenge. These have gotten steadily worse as the years have passed but this one marks a new low point, hah-hah!
While I'm here, a massive thank you to all the super-generous IORRians who have donated in the past: last year's Mont Venotux madness raised over £4000...all down to you.

This year I hopefully get to complete my one and only two-wheeled ambition: to cycle the Tour de France in the same time-frame as the pros i.e. what they do in a day, I do in a day...just spending a tad longer in the saddle!

The group that I'm cycling with will be starting in Utrecht this Saturday which is one week ahead of the pros: hopefully we will *stay* one week ahead of the pros too, hah-hah! We finish on the Champs Elysee in Paris three weeks later, after 2100 miles. Ouch!

You don't have to a cycling aficionado to recognise that there will be significant amounts of hurt along the way: guaranteed head-winds and cobbles in the north, and long, hot days slogging up mountains in the south.

Why bother, right? As ever I'm hoping to raise funds and this year it's for a UK charity (the William Wates Memorial Foundation) who give grants to projects in the UK that help underprivileged kids between 5-19 years old. The idea is to help turn young lives around and hopefully keep kids on the straight-and-narrow by showing them what they are capable of through sport, the arts, volunteering and the outdoors.

Basically they’re the acceptable version of ‘Children In Need’ and ‘Comic Relief’ i.e. no sign of Lenny Henry or the cast of Eastenders doing a song & dance number!

I'm paying the minimum sponsorship and the tour costs natch: if we can raise another £500 then that'll mean £4K. That would be excellent indeed!

If you can spare the price of a glass of wine, a decent coffee or a pint (or even better, all three!) then please click on the link below...

To sponsor SimonN please click on this!

Thanks for indulging me with this: BV has kindly allowed this O/T...I hope that it doesn't annoy or upset any IORRians...you are a very generous bunch!

I'm keeping a blog as usual: the latest post has Stones content...maybe I'm not *that* O/T after all!

Click here for SimonN's blog!

All the best,

Simon.

Re: O/T UK IORRian cycling the Tour de France...needs help!
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 23, 2015 22:45

Good luck Simon

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 22:50

Best of luck, Simon.

I will throw some money in tomorrow, and i will be raising a drink for you round the pool in a couple of days when i head to warmer climates. smileys with beer

Keep Right On.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2015 23:23

Good luck Simon and keep up the good work...........as for Utrecht hope the weather will be better next week it's "freezing" cold out here for the time of year.......

Date: June 23, 2015 23:27

Way to go, Si thumbs up

Date: July 1, 2015 19:05

How is it going, Simon?

Date: July 1, 2015 20:28

Hello,

Stage four dans le bag: today we had 115 miles and 5000' in 40c. Piece of cake, hah-hah! Seriously, you wouldn't do this for a laugh although today's route took us through the battlefields and memorials, so it puts everything bang in perspective.

Today's blog to follow...hotel wi-fi allowing!

[2015tdf.blogspot.co.uk]

All the best,

Simon.

Date: July 1, 2015 20:50

Heat wave coming to France, just had ours in Spain with it being a bit cooler today. It's been touching around the 50 degrees. Not the weather you need thou.

Keep right on.

Date: July 15, 2015 10:03

Nice blog, Simon.

Keep Right On. thumbs up

The tour is also hotting up.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 15, 2015 23:08

I've followed your blog a bit Simon....you never cease to amaze!

Date: July 16, 2015 02:07

Good luck, Simon!

Date: July 20, 2015 16:19

Hello,

Wow, and then some! We finished it all yesterday dans Le Champs Elysee...what a blast. 2100 miles, 21 days, 4 punctures and a few beers sunk.
Can I say thank you to all you super, super generous IORRians who sponsored this eejit?

You know who you are and if I ever get hold of you, than I'm 'in the chair' at the bar: you know I ain't kidding either, hah-hah!

I know that time, tiredness and indifferent wi-fi defeated me on keeping my blog updated: I'm on this as we er, speak. All I ask is that you consider maybe forgoing a beer/coffee/whatevah and getting me to the £4.5K target...less than another £200-ish to go.

One more time, thanks from the bottom of my heart,

Simon.

ps thanks also to BV for allowing me to post this on his forum: he'll never know how much this has helped a lot of people. Good on ya'!

[2015tdf.blogspot.fr]

[uk.virginmoneygiving.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 20, 2015 19:22

I'm a fan of the Tour De France and what an Amazing Journey thumbs up

Date: July 20, 2015 22:45

Well done Simon.

Love watching the tour and seeing some lovely places and historic sights.

Just started doing a bit of cycling and the hour and half riding nearly killed me yesterday, but i will be back out tomorrow.

Once again congrulations.thumbs up

PS i think i owe you a few drinks from the Hyde park concert.smileys with beer

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:45

Well done Simon . Will be reading your blog later on today. smileys with beer

Date: July 22, 2015 14:55

Just added another small amount < price or a decent wine ahah>.

Hope you reach your target.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:17

Good luck Simon. Keep the great work up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home