Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why does Mick sometimes appear ignorant of the band's recording chronology on stage?
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 22, 2015 08:09

We've had a comment on the current tour about Sticky Fingers being recorded '48 years ago.'

At the first Twickenham show in 2003, Mick asked Chuck which album 'Rocks Off' appeared on (documented on Four Flicks).

On Flashpoint we hear him asking Bill 'Which album is it from, Bill?' before they play 'Factory Girl.'

There are other examples of apparent uncertainty along similar lines, for instance saying of Champagne and Reefer, 'I think it was written by Muddy Waters' at the Beacon Theatre in 2006 (included in Shine a Light).

Can anyone offer any comments on this subject?

Thanks.

Olly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 08:34 by Olly.

Re: Why does Mick sometimes appear ignorant of the band's recording chronology on stage?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 08:12

Mick is all about affectation. In how he speaks, sings, dances, etc. This is one of his affectations - very modest, very casual about the whole thing. If you haven't seen Gimme Shelter I recommend it. There's a scene where he says that people are really coming to Altamont party and don't care about the "Rolling Dead" or "Grateful Aeroplane." Of course, they did care, and of course they were mostly there to see him, but he pretends that it's not that big a deal.

He knows what album Rocks off is on.

Re: Why does Mick sometimes appear ignorant of the band's recording chronology on stage?
Date: June 22, 2015 08:25

Turner68
Mick is all about affectation. In how he speaks, sings, dances, etc. This is one of his affectations - very modest, very casual about the whole thing. If you haven't seen Gimme Shelter I recommend it. There's a scene where he says that people are really coming to Altamont party and don't care about the "Rolling Dead" or "Grateful Aeroplane." Of course, they did care, and of course they were mostly there to see him, but he pretends that it's not that big a deal.

Of course he knows which album 'Rocks Off' is from...

The casual indifference is clearly an act.

The examples you give from Gimme Shelter where he confuses the names of bands is Mick being outright flippant, but the uncertainty over which albums songs appear on is far more subtle and intriguing, especially since it has continued to feature in recent years and tours.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 08:43 by Olly.

Date: June 22, 2015 09:10

Turner68
Mick is all about affectation. In how he speaks, sings, dances, etc. This is one of his affectations - very modest, very casual about the whole thing.

I totally agree with you.

Singing and dancing on stage are inherently insincere affectations to an extent, but I wonder what the reason is for extending this affectation to something as simple as introducing a song?

Would it not be equally as modest and casual to introduce the song sincerely?

Olly.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:14

I play in an amateur band. I hardly ever listen to our records, once they are released. We listen to them a lot during the mixing and the mastering, then maybe a few times after the release. Then you'll hear all those little mistakes, you get the idea that it all could have been much better, if only...
Then you move on.

Save for a few songs, I couldn't tell which song is on which record. And we have recorded only four or five. Heck, there are songs we recorded in 2003 and 2005 that I don't even remember. I read the title on the cover and can't even hum the tune...

From talking to other musicians I get the impression that it's the same with them. Once a record is recorded and released, you move on.

The record itself is much more important to the fans than it is to the musicians.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:18

To make himself more cute and charming, especially with the ladies>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 09:19 by desertblues68.

Date: June 22, 2015 09:21

desertblues68
To make himself more cute and charming, especially with the ladies>grinning smiley<

Yes, I had this reasoning in the back of my mind.

Olly.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:28

I suppose it is British humour and irony.

Personally I might say it is 100 degrees C hot outside or -100 in winter, but everybody do know it is a way of talking, at least where I live in Norway.

When Mick is asking if there are anybody from Philadelphia in Pittsburgh, that is simply to tease the "home" fans. He got a big "boooo" from the crowd so that was the first time. Nobody in Orlando cared about the question "Anybody from Miami" etc...

Sticky Fingers was released 44 years ago. Everybody do know this. Of course Mick do know. He succeded in getting some reactions obviously. Usually he says it was made 55 or 100 years ago. Which basicalløy means "a long time" ago, simple as that. While some were still in kindergarden.

Bjornulf

Date: June 22, 2015 09:37

Thanks, BV.

As a Brit I recognise the humour, it just strikes me as slightly odd, expecially from a performer who seems to strive for an increasingly 'polished' product (witness how he reacted to Keith's premature start to Satisfaction in Pittsburgh...)

As a gimmick I suppose it carries some charm.

Olly.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:39

It's a kind of long-term running gag that Mick doesn't know offhand which album anything was on - like the one where he says that the support act must be on the plane home by now, about ten seconds before they appear to duet with him. But I think he also knows that the fans care more about that kind of thing than he does, so he's teasing them.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:04

Papo
I play in an amateur band. I hardly ever listen to our records, once they are released. We listen to them a lot during the mixing and the mastering, then maybe a few times after the release. Then you'll hear all those little mistakes, you get the idea that it all could have been much better, if only...
Then you move on.

Save for a few songs, I couldn't tell which song is on which record. And we have recorded only four or five. Heck, there are songs we recorded in 2003 and 2005 that I don't even remember. I read the title on the cover and can't even hum the tune...

From talking to other musicians I get the impression that it's the same with them. Once a record is recorded and released, you move on.

The record itself is much more important to the fans than it is to the musicians.

Playing in an amateur band is different than playing in The Stones though. They've made some of the greatest rock albums ever, and they aren't forgotten by anybody. They toured for them, have answered questions about them in interviews, remastered/reissued them countless times, made documentaries about them, etc. Unlike an amateur band, or even some professional bands, the Stones have a legacy. And Mick, being a good frontman and businessman, is well aware of it. Mick the frontman has to act like he doesn't care though, can't appear to be the organized/calculated entertainer he truly is.

It's similar to Keith's act. Like when he pretends to not know where he is, or that he only figured it out by the sound of the crowd. You know it's bullshit, but it's funny to think they just sort of wheeled Keith on stage out of a drunken stupor and he went through half the show playing and not even knowing what city he was in, until he was introduced and he used some 6th sense he developed over decades of touring to listen to the crowd and go.... oh this is Cleveland. On that same note, Mick's character is that of a rock star so huge he can't even remember all the hit songs he's written or landmark albums he's recorded, that's just another day at the office, and he's always moving on to the next new thing. But if you come to his party he'll still sing the old songs for you, if he can remember them. SO many hits after all, he's Mick @#$%& Jagger.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:29

Green Lady
It's a kind of long-term running gag that Mick doesn't know offhand which album anything was on - like the one where he says that the support act must be on the plane home by now, about ten seconds before they appear to duet with him. But I think he also knows that the fans care more about that kind of thing than he does, so he's teasing them.

I think this is true, however I have to admit that when it comes to Beggars/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers, in particular, half the time I can never remember myself which album some songs were on.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:53

i think mick doesn't want to appear to take things too seriousely. i like his attitude, but obviousely it is not true. i am sure that mick knows and reminds more or less everything, more than his colleagues do.

Posted by: Philippec74 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:57

Tokyo 1995.. Mick says that Live with me is from Exile !

Date: June 22, 2015 11:08

Philippec74
Tokyo 1995.. Mick says that Live with me is from Exile !

Exactly, and how intriguing that he deliberately offered the audience this piece of misinformation.

It does no harm, but it achieves very little either.

Do other performers do something similar onstage?

Olly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2015 11:09

Certain songs were worked on over period of time which
would tend to blur the lines between albums ... and then ya
chuck in a lil' show -biz and you have Mick's comments .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2015 15:36

andrea66
i think mick doesn't want to appear to take things too seriousely. i like his attitude, but obviousely it is not true. i am sure that mick knows and reminds more or less everything, more than his colleagues do.

I concur. MJ knows which songs are on which albums. He tries to show a casual indifference as you've noted. He knows exactly what is going on and certainly what song is on what album Bill.

That one was pretty funny...asking Bill what album Factory Girl was on. Like even with the remotest of possibilities, if MJ didn't initially know, like it wouldn't have been discussed during rehearsals.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 22, 2015 16:52

One day when Mick was late he apologized to me saying he was at dinner with Liz Taylor and Henry Kissinger. About 2 years later under similar circumstances he used the same excuse to me. He's a little guilty of compulsive lying but I don't hold it against him. I observed being Mick Jagger is not an easy facade to keep up 24 hours a day for the guy. When he pretends he forgets the history, he has no idea why he does it, he's on automatic cool.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 16:58 by DoomandGloom.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:10

DoomandGloom,

At the cost of straying off-topic, could I ask the circumstances under which you were meeting Mr Jagger?

Olly.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:12

Olly
DoomandGloom,

At the cost of straying off-topic, could I ask the circumstances under which you were meeting Mr Jagger?
recording studios, he is a great person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 17:14 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:19

To try and slyly impart that he's such a laid back rock'n'roll supercool that he can't remember his own work (Guns & Roses fell for that saying "You can't remember Salt of the Earth!!!!!!! - hell you guys wrote it!!!!!!!!(and it's so cool that you are SOOOOOOOOO great that you can't remember it".......(excited tail wagging.......

........and allay the notion that he is a meticulous for detail control freak who remembers everything better than Bill Wyman even without the photos and memrobilia as aide memoirs........ did you see his sessions tape room in 'Being Mick', he's more organised than a bird of paradise - and if he wasn't - imo - the Stones would have folded 40 years ago........Like Mick once said. he wishes he "was more like Keith" who - well, who knows what he can or can't genuinley remember............that might be a brilliant card trick in it's own right.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 17:20 by EddieByword.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:20

EddieByword
To try and slyly impart that he's such a laid back rock'n'roll supercool that he can't remember his own work (Guns & Roses fell for that saying "You can't remember Salt of the Earth!!!!!!! - hell you guys wrote it!!!!!!!!(and it's so cool that you are SOOOOOOOOO great that you can't remember it"...

........and allay the notion that he is a meticulous for detail control freak who remembers everything better than Bill Wyman even without the photos and memrobilia as aide memoirs........ did you see his sessions tape room in 'Being Mick', he's more organised than a bird of paradise - and if he wasn't - imo - the Stones would have folded 40 years ago........Like Mick once said. he wishes he "was more like Keith" who - well, who knows what he can or can't genuinley remember............that might be a brilliant card trick in it's own right.........

And Keith believed GHS came after SF... eye rolling smiley

Date: June 22, 2015 17:21

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
To try and slyly impart that he's such a laid back rock'n'roll supercool that he can't remember his own work (Guns & Roses fell for that saying "You can't remember Salt of the Earth!!!!!!! - hell you guys wrote it!!!!!!!!(and it's so cool that you are SOOOOOOOOO great that you can't remember it"...

You lost me with that one.......confused smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:24

DoomandGloom
Olly
DoomandGloom,

recording studios, he is a great person.

Off topic, I know but couldn't resist. Just found this on my Facebook feed and thought of you, Mr. Doom and Gloom. grinning smiley

Sound Engineering Declared Grumpiest Profession In The World

[wundergroundmusic.com]

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:27

He does succeed in being mysterious and vague and casual. Even Bill has said that Mick is not interested in looking back or reminiscing, etc. But then all of a sudden, Mick spurts out loads of memories about the making of Moonlight Mile, for example. I like how he can sometimes actually appeciate his own history and take it seriously sometimes. He has done that in interviews and things more often in later years.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:30

It is a lousy job.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:31

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword

He said that in that radio interview prior to the Zip Code Tour. The interviewer had to correct him.

So it's not only Mick...

Date: June 22, 2015 17:32

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword

He said that in that radio interview prior to the Zip Code Tour. The interviewer had to correct him.

So it's not only Mick...

Do you mean SG then?....'cos of course GHS did come after SF.....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:35

Turner68

when I read your posts, Turner68, it sure sounds like you were..there..

..are you sure you're not Stanley Booth?
smiling smiley

Date: June 22, 2015 17:36

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword

So it's not only Mick...

Do you mean SG then?....'cos of course GHS did come after SF.....

Not RIGHT after smiling smiley

Sorry for being unclear..

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home