Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1975 versus 2015
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 18, 2015 23:06

GasLightStreet
Reading about their tours in the 1970s has made me wonder - why did they bother? They were so coked up, heroined up, drunk, screaming, not singing, too fast, too slow, sloppy, getting busted...

Keith. "Oh man, we're going on the road again... haaarrrrrghhhhh, I better hook up." For what? Playing and travelling isn't exhausting enough?

Poor Charlie.

If 1975 cant rock you nothing will. Except for some previous tours.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:43

Redhotcarpet
GasLightStreet
Reading about their tours in the 1970s has made me wonder - why did they bother? They were so coked up, heroined up, drunk, screaming, not singing, too fast, too slow, sloppy, getting busted...

Keith. "Oh man, we're going on the road again... haaarrrrrghhhhh, I better hook up." For what? Playing and travelling isn't exhausting enough?

Poor Charlie.

If 1975 cant rock you nothing will. Except for some previous tours.
smileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: June 19, 2015 01:48

alieb
GasLightStreet

Poor Charlie.

They bothered because it still made them money, and I can't say this from experience but I would assume that the audience was just about as f'ed up as they were and thought it was great regardless...

I agree with you. Poor Charlie. Although he probably got some amusement out of it at times.

He did his best tour, just like Keith and Ronnie did.

I don't think Charlie even thought about Mick's singing. He had a good thing going with Brown and Wyman in the excellent rhythm section.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 03:12

DandelionPowderman
alieb
GasLightStreet

Poor Charlie.

They bothered because it still made them money, and I can't say this from experience but I would assume that the audience was just about as f'ed up as they were and thought it was great regardless...

I agree with you. Poor Charlie. Although he probably got some amusement out of it at times.

He did his best tour, just like Keith and Ronnie did.

I don't think Charlie even thought about Mick's singing. He had a good thing going with Brown and Wyman in the excellent rhythm section.

that sounds very reasonable to me. my sense is charlie doesn't understand what mick does but respects the enormous power and effectiveness of it. but he would pass no judgement on that which he is not an expert. he would be a terrible IORR member winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 03:12 by Turner68.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 19, 2015 03:13

no comparison....1975

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:17

How can you compare 1975 to 2015? It's like comparing Duke Ellington 1928 to Duke Ellington 1968. Mick was really on in 1975, exhorting the band to pump it up. Keith could still play. They still had a fantastic rhythm section. Billy Preston fit that time period. He came and he went at just the right time. No one with any objectivity thinks the 2015 Stones are anywhere near as good as the 1975 Stones. They're not even as good as the 2002 Stones, and they were starting to fade a little at that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 05:18 by 24FPS.

Date: June 19, 2015 08:47

<Yes thank you Billy. He was p e r f e c t for that era. Ollie and Billy.

Date: June 19, 2015 09:02

24FPS
How can you compare 1975 to 2015? It's like comparing Duke Ellington 1928 to Duke Ellington 1968. Mick was really on in 1975, exhorting the band to pump it up. Keith could still play. They still had a fantastic rhythm section. Billy Preston fit that time period. He came and he went at just the right time. No one with any objectivity thinks the 2015 Stones are anywhere near as good as the 1975 Stones. They're not even as good as the 2002 Stones, and they were starting to fade a little at that point.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

When I think of my dear childhood 70s 1975-1977 fits that period perfectly. That's the real 70s man.
The previous tours seem to belong in another era altogether. They are better in many ways of course but I dont care, I still have a special love for the 75-77 era.
There something very fitting with having two black guys - alright, afro-americans - in the band when the band sounded like an updated version of what Brian once started.
Mick is in his zenith. This is what Mick Jagger really loves and what he always was. The genderbending outta space jumping jack afro firerwork just off the ship in New Orleans from some village in the Carribean. 2015 is not the real deal. 2015 is and old pro on stage. 1975 is the real Jagger. And sorry girls but I love his vocals that tour. Spontanous, out there, 100% attitude. If you cant rock me/GOOMC is what it's all about. 1976 (thank you Ronnie for Negrita) is even more camp and more African. Love it despite the ups and downs. They probably should have changed the setlist and fitted the songs to their current line up and sound. Called it the the 1976 tour of France. A little (afro) Americans in Paris thing.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 19, 2015 10:38

What was the better football Team. The German Team that won the World Championship in 1954 or 2014? Or was it 1974? Or 1990?

Date: June 19, 2015 10:42

RockingLonestar
What was the better football Team. The German Team that won the World Championship in 1954 or 2014? Or was it 1974? Or 1990?

That's an easier question to answer grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 19, 2015 16:33

Nothing stands the test of time. Everything fades away. One thing they had in 1975 that they don't have now though was an abundance of fresh material. A string of good records behind them.
Even Satisfaction was not more than ten years old then. That is the main difference I think. Relevance. There was still some of that left in 1975.

Posted by: StickyExile98 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 16:42

A lot of the stuff from the 1975 LA forum gig was pretty rubbish, but the version of Wild Horses they played that night is probably my all time favourite version of the song. Out of tune at times, but holy shit it's beautiful.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2015 20:55

StickyExile98
A lot of the stuff from the 1975 LA forum gig was pretty rubbish, but the version of Wild Horses they played that night is probably my all time favourite version of the song. Out of tune at times, but holy shit it's beautiful.

[www.youtube.com]

Well, no one is saying the particular concert captured on DVD is the best representative of the tour. It's supposedly not even the best of their L.A. run of concerts in '75. But thank the rock gods we finally got it.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 19, 2015 22:05

I didnt saw any 1975 stones-Us-concerts, but 3 concerts in germany 1976. Frankfurt, Munster and Dortmund. (Tour of Europe 1976)-----and I liked it. 2014 I saw the concert in düsseldorf---and believe it or not-- it was awesome! You cant compare the shows in 1975/76 and the 2014/15. So many different songs . Hand of fate, Melody, star Star, heartbreaker. Fingerprint File and so on in 1976---the latest setlists we all know very well. By the way, i prefer the Brian jones era--even satanic majesties.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 21, 2015 20:58

Much better now than bigger bang tour in my opinion..can't compare to TOTA

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 22, 2015 05:38

I can't believe there us even a discussion about this.

Ronnie and, especially, Keith played exponentially more guitar in 75 than they do now.

The band pushed the tempos to breakneck, runaway train speeds in 75 vs. the too slow, all songs pretty much mid-tempo versions they do now. Just compare All Down The Line. Or Happy. Does Keith even need his guitar now?

Sure this meant they fell off the rails here and there back In those days, but don't you rather a live band to come out with attitude and a take no prisoners mentality as opposed to the controlled cookie-cutters you get now?

Complain about Preston and Ollie Brown (which I never understood what the complaints are with Ollie), but I'd take either or both over Bernard, Lisa, and Chuck any day. And watch/listen to the band during those Preston numbers - they are having a blast!

Mick's singing may be rushed, and sometimes mumbled - from his exhausting energy output, and maybe some booze - but now he's doing inexplicable things like singing "beast of BARden," butchering You Gotta Move, and dishing off to his back up singers (who incidentally aren't Keith and Ronnie like they were in 75).

At least back then when they screwed up they had legitimate reasons. Now they're too busy posing, screwing off, or forgetting to look at the monitors.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 22, 2015 07:55

JMARKO
At least back then when they screwed up they had legitimate reasons. Now they're too busy posing, screwing off, or forgetting to look at the monitors.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:41

1975 versus 2015 is the genuine fresh and creative Rolling Stones versus their administrative cover band making "Beamtenmusik" (in German).

Date: June 22, 2015 12:14

JMARKO
I can't believe there us even a discussion about this.

Ronnie and, especially, Keith played exponentially more guitar in 75 than they do now.

The band pushed the tempos to breakneck, runaway train speeds in 75 vs. the too slow, all songs pretty much mid-tempo versions they do now. Just compare All Down The Line. Or Happy. Does Keith even need his guitar now?

Sure this meant they fell off the rails here and there back In those days, but don't you rather a live band to come out with attitude and a take no prisoners mentality as opposed to the controlled cookie-cutters you get now?

Complain about Preston and Ollie Brown (which I never understood what the complaints are with Ollie), but I'd take either or both over Bernard, Lisa, and Chuck any day. And watch/listen to the band during those Preston numbers - they are having a blast!

Mick's singing may be rushed, and sometimes mumbled - from his exhausting energy output, and maybe some booze - but now he's doing inexplicable things like singing "beast of BARden," butchering You Gotta Move, and dishing off to his back up singers (who incidentally aren't Keith and Ronnie like they were in 75).

Amen. Every word.

Date: June 22, 2015 12:24

<butchering You Gotta Move>

Well, I'd take the 2015-version any day compared with the REAL butchering of this song he did in LA in 1975. In 2015 he was a bit uncertain during the first verse. The rest was great.

Christ!

And btw, he's not singing «bardon» anymore. Would you be able to transcribe what he sang on a number of songs in 1975? winking smiley

Date: June 22, 2015 13:07

DandelionPowderman
<butchering You Gotta Move>

Well, I'd take the 2015-version any day compared with the REAL butchering of this song he did in LA in 1975. In 2015 he was a bit uncertain during the first verse. The rest was great.

Christ!

And btw, he's not singing «bardon» anymore. Would you be able to transcribe what he sang on a number of songs in 1975? winking smiley

Omg they did not butcher You gotta move in 1975! They did a great real dirty version of it.

The point is you were not supposed to hear every word in 1975. Or 1976. Like it or not, part of his style then. He changed every tour back then and it was great! It's rock n roll.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home