Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Bill Wyman interview (inc. Brian Jones reflections)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2015 02:56

Charlie himself said Brian was miles ahead of them musically when they started. Brian is the fuse that lit the Rolling Stones. What kind of a band would Mick & Keith have put together if left to their own devices? It certainly wouldn't have had the depth to the blues if they hadn't joined Brian's group. Keith had never heard of Robert Johnson. They didn't have a slide player. Nobody else in London did. Mick was still toying around with the LSE while Brian and Keith were in each other's noses, weaving. Brian was the snappy dresser while Mick was still wearing sweaters. If the Stones had never solidified as Jagger/Richards with Satisfaction, the Stones still would have been remembered as a primo British Invasion group, with considerably more maturity and depth than Freddie & the Dreamers, or even Billie J. Kramer & the Dakotas.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 17, 2015 02:59

Naturalust
CaptainCorella

On the point about Dartford council knowing about accuracy.... When the intent to put up a plaque was first publicised I wrote to Mr Jeremy Kite (Council Leader) as follows:

Wow, that is indeed very cool. I sincerely applaud your effort to set the record straight! The "recruited Brian Jones part" is indeed a bit too much. You have obviously stood up for Brian more than even Bill has.

peace

I strongly suspect that Bill did something very similar - which may explain his ongoing annoyance at the inaccuracy.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 17, 2015 03:12

CaptainCorella
Naturalust
CaptainCorella

On the point about Dartford council knowing about accuracy.... When the intent to put up a plaque was first publicised I wrote to Mr Jeremy Kite (Council Leader) as follows:

Wow, that is indeed very cool. I sincerely applaud your effort to set the record straight! The "recruited Brian Jones part" is indeed a bit too much. You have obviously stood up for Brian more than even Bill has.

peace

I strongly suspect that Bill did something very similar - which may explain his ongoing annoyance at the inaccuracy.

It's possible but it sounded to me from his reply like you were the one who made the guy aware of his inaccuracy. I'm going to give to the credit. Nice work. Who knows perhaps your letter made them change the word from "found" to "form".

Let Bill hire his heavies and have them remove the plaque it he is so annoyed. He can afford to have a new one made with slightly different wording.

peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2015 13:41

I don't understand how one person can form a band. By definition a band is formed by more than two people.
One person can be a catalyst for a band's formation, but that one person can't form it without others.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:01

with sssoul
I don't understand how one person can form a band. By definition a band is formed by more than two people.
One person can be a catalyst for a band's formation, but that one person can't form it without others.

Also, the band that Brian envisaged in his advert in Jazz News bore little relation to the eventual line-up.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:18

Deltics
with sssoul

Also, the band that Brian envisaged in his advert in Jazz News bore little relation to the eventual line-up.

It would not have worked out with traditional rhythm and blues musicians, but then Brian met Ian Stewart: "Starting of the band".

Date: June 17, 2015 15:24

Deltics
with sssoul

Exactly! Thanks, Deltics.

This was one of the points I tried to make...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 17, 2015 18:59

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
with sssoul

Dandy, I think our discussion was getting hung up on the term R&B, as when I saw this post above I *also* thought - exactly! see, Brian wanted an R&B band. Those clearly were days when labels meant different things, and labels were changing, etc. Clearly Brian leaned against Chuck Berry and towards blues especially with slide ala Elmore James. But the heart of those first few recordings up to 64 - Can I Get a Witness, I Just Wanna Make Love to You, Bo Diddly and Not Fade Away, etc. - I would call R&B and I would judge to be squarely in the type of band Brian envisaged.

It's splitting hairs at the end of the day I think - Brian founded the band, was seen as its leader, and very quickly Mick and Keith took charge by steering the band towards a more rock n roll bent and by writing original songs.

I would also note that just because Brian didn't ask for a second guitar doesn't mean he wasn't planning on jamming - hey, Let It Bleed was made with mostly one guitarist :-) By the way it's to his credit that in his ad he wasn't looking for a singer or a second guitarist but when he met Mick and Keith he grabbed them both :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 19:01 by Turner68.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 17, 2015 19:09

well they sure found what worked very early, once they got Charlie and Bill.

the gigs they got increased, as did the people wanting to see them

what a sense of validation they all must have had, especially Brian, when those lines outside the clubs started happening..

Date: June 17, 2015 19:24

duke richardson

what a sense of validation they all must have had, especially Brian, when those lines outside the clubs started happening..

yeah, it's truly amazing how fast they took off.

i don't know if anyone is familiar with malcolm gladwell's theory that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be truly great at anything (politician, businessman, carpenter, musician). he holds up some colorful examples, including the Beatles and all those gigs in germany and the north of england they played for several years before making it big. pretty interesting stuff. anyway, the stones' early success totally contradicts all that. lightning struck.

Date: June 17, 2015 20:05

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
with sssoul

Yeah me too. The "formation" of The Rolling Stones was much more than getting the musicians together. One could even argue that The Beatles were involved in forming the Stones. eye popping smiley

I've been trying to think of a better way to word the writing on the plaque and it's actually tough to come up with something that says as much with as few words.

peace

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:05

with sssoul

seriously?? you cant figure that out?

the person has an idea that he wants to form a band,he finds others to join him-he started the band.

after the yardbirds went out of business jimmy page wanted to form another version of the group.

there was one guy-jimmy page, he started the new yardbirds.

he talked to an old friend from the session days who joined on bass
he got word of a singer in the north country and went and listened to him and liked what he heard
the singer had a friend who played drums who came along.....

is this concept of jimmy forming the band also difficult to grasp or is this just something reserved for brian who did the same thing?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:14

I can want to be in a band all I want, lem, but without the others
I'm merely someone who wants to be in a band.
I'm not saying anything to diminish Brian's role in catalyzing the formation of the Stones.
And yes, what I'm saying applies to anyone: Unless you want to discuss so-called "one-man bands"
it takes a group of people to form a band.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:18

Someone annoyed with Bill could take the plaque to prompt the police to knock on Bill's door. "You said in this interview...So we're going to search the premises."

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:20

It would take them some days to go through Bills collection of various plaques.

Date: June 17, 2015 20:27

Turner68
duke richardson

i don't know if anyone is familiar with malcolm gladwell's theory that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be truly great at anything (politician, businessman, carpenter, musician). he holds up some colorful examples, including the Beatles and all those gigs in germany and the north of england they played for several years before making it big. pretty interesting stuff. anyway, the stones' early success totally contradicts all that. lightning struck.

Yes and no. The Stones had something immediately, but it took a while to refine it. Brian and Stu seemed the most finished players in the nascent stage of the group. They were together 3 years before they became international superstars with Satisfaction, and even that wasn't their apex, which didn't really begin until they were together 7 years by adding a new improved guitar player which pushed them into the stratosphere. In that sense it's pretty close to the Beatles time line of 1957 to 1962, making a crude record, and then becoming better and better, culminating in their watershed year of 1964, 7 years since John and Paul intersected.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:32

24FPS
Turner68
duke richardson

Yes and no. The Stones had something immediately, but it took a while to refine it. Brian and Stu seemed the most finished players in the nascent stage of the group. They were together 3 years before they became international superstars with Satisfaction, and even that wasn't their apex, which didn't really begin until they were together 7 years by adding a new improved guitar player which pushed them into the stratosphere. In that sense it's pretty close to the Beatles time line of 1957 to 1962, making a crude record, and then becoming better and better, culminating in their watershed year of 1964, 7 years since John and Paul intersected.

Check your math: Ron joined the band 13 years later, not 7!

C

Date: June 17, 2015 20:34

Bill wyman replaces the plaque
Sometime later Armageddon strikes
It appears only cockroaches are left
But.... Out of the rubble Keith Richards emerges holding a bill wyman signature metal detector
Which he uses to search throughout greater London find the original plaque
And put it back up at what is left of dartford train station
"Gold rings on ya Bill" Keith says, patting the metal detector with his hands and smiling his sly grin

I am working on the screenplay for this.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 17, 2015 20:38

Naturalust
The "formation" of The Rolling Stones was much more than getting the musicians together. One could even argue that The Beatles were involved in forming the Stones. eye popping smiley

I've been trying to think of a better way to word the writing on the plaque and it's actually tough to come up with something that says as much with as few words.

peace

the stones were already a band when they met the beatles.now you're just throwing stuff out there because you're bored and want to say something.
i cringe when these conversations veer off into this kind of nonsense.

it's embarrassing to the board actually,people come here because of the tour and read long time posters saying the beatles formed the stones,that they cant understand the concept of a person starting a band.,that the band had in mind wasnt the eventual line-up[you mean the one with chuck leavell?]..

if you go on stonesdougs site and ask who started the stones they'll say brian,if you go on rocks off and ask they'll say brian,because this is something every hardcore stones fans knows...

and we're sitting with.."well what is the exact meaning of "formation"..maybe the beatles did it..it's pathetic.

Date: June 17, 2015 20:51

lem motlow
Naturalust
The "formation" of The Rolling Stones was much more than getting the musicians together. One could even argue that The Beatles were involved in forming the Stones. eye popping smiley

peace

the stones were already a band when they met the beatles.now you're just throwing stuff out there because you're bored and want to say something.

it's embarrassing to the board actually,people come here because of the tour and read long time posters saying the beatles formed the stones,that they cant understand the concept of a person starting a band.,that the band had in mind wasnt the eventual line-up[you mean the one with chuck leavell?]..

if you go on stonesdougs site and ask who started the stones they'll say brian,if you go on rocks off and ask they'll say brian,because this is something every hardcore stones fans knows...

and we're sitting with.."well what is the exact meaning of "formation"..maybe the beatles did it..it's pathetic.

Well said

Date: June 17, 2015 20:54

lem motlow
with sssoul

seriously?? you cant figure that out?

the person has an idea that he wants to form a band,he finds others to join him-he started the band.

after the yardbirds went out of business jimmy page wanted to form another version of the group.

there was one guy-jimmy page, he started the new yardbirds.

he talked to an old friend from the session days who joined on bass
he got word of a singer in the north country and went and listened to him and liked what he heard
the singer had a friend who played drums who came along.....

is this concept of jimmy forming the band also difficult to grasp or is this just something reserved for brian who did the same thing?

By your strict definition then Lem, the phrase 'the bands formative years" should not even exist? Obviously the word form can be interpreted in various ways. It doesn't have to mean the singular act you are so keen to attach to it.

I agree with with sssouls assertion that Mick and Keith's decision to join Brian were also part of the formation of the Rolling Stones. Brian didn't make those decisions and without them it's possible the Stones wouldn't have formed at all.

Led Zeppelin was formed by Jimmy, Robert, JPJ and Bonham. The idea for the formation was Jimmy's. Jimmy also formed Led Zepplin by bringing the players together. Both phrases are accurate and getting hung up on a word which can be interpreted in several way is rather silly, imo.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 17, 2015 21:09

Keith has said many time it was Stu's band..grinning smiley

lem motlow-

no disputing facts. Brian started the Rollin' Stones. no argument there.

he assholed himself out of the Rolling Stones too.

Date: June 17, 2015 21:38

lem motlow
Naturalust

peace

eye popping smiley It's just a bit strange that you can't understand that people here can interpret formation in several ways. Nobody is arguing what Brian's role was in the creation of the Stones.

My suggestion about the Beatles was obviously a bit of a joke and only to show how broad the definition of formation can be. I think we know what your very narrow definition of "form a band" is. It's obviously not universal.

We are talking about the definition of formation because that is the wording on the plaque...lighten up. I'm not just throwing stuff out there, just trying to get you to understand what me and several others have tried to say.

peace

Date: June 17, 2015 23:08

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
with sssoul

Dandy, I think our discussion was getting hung up on the term R&B, as when I saw this post above I *also* thought - exactly! see, Brian wanted an R&B band. Those clearly were days when labels meant different things, and labels were changing, etc. Clearly Brian leaned against Chuck Berry and towards blues especially with slide ala Elmore James. But the heart of those first few recordings up to 64 - Can I Get a Witness, I Just Wanna Make Love to You, Bo Diddly and Not Fade Away, etc. - I would call R&B and I would judge to be squarely in the type of band Brian envisaged.

It's splitting hairs at the end of the day I think - Brian founded the band, was seen as its leader, and very quickly Mick and Keith took charge by steering the band towards a more rock n roll bent and by writing original songs.

I would also note that just because Brian didn't ask for a second guitar doesn't mean he wasn't planning on jamming - hey, Let It Bleed was made with mostly one guitarist :-) By the way it's to his credit that in his ad he wasn't looking for a singer or a second guitarist but when he met Mick and Keith he grabbed them both :-)

Yeah, to be more precise, it was what we today call rock'n'roll that Brian wasn't too fond of smiling smiley

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: June 18, 2015 06:26

As hard as Mick and Keith try they just can't change history. Read Keith's life. Brian Jones formed the Rolling Stones with Stu his first recruit. He lead the Rolling Stones until he sliced his own throat by hiring Oldham. He chose the songs they played. He is on record by multiple reliable sources as being the better guitar player at the formation of the Stones. Sorry Mathjis but Brian could play more than just simple chords. The IBC recordings are proof of that. Mick and Keith should ask God for thanks. Brian Knight could have been the lead singer and Geoff Bradford could have been the other guitarist. Not saying this alternate reality would have made any of them stars. Most likely not. They would have all descended into obscurity. There was a certain chemistry that made the Stones and Brian Jones was clearly in that equation. The catalyst so to speak. Take Brian out of the equation and Mick and Keith are unwittingly altering their current reality. No Jones no stones. And although Brian is marginalized by Mick and Keith. As long as his fans are around that isn't going to happen. As for the plaque in Dartford? I'm sure they are proud that Mick and Keith are from there. And there is only so much you can squeeze on a plaque. If they want to believe it let them. The rest of the world knows differently. As for Bill? He's always wanted his day in the sun but it's hard to get around the most famous front line in music history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-18 06:37 by ovalvox.

Date: June 18, 2015 07:31

liddas
24FPS
Turner68
duke richardson

Check your math: Ron joined the band 13 years later, not 7!

C

Are you pulling my leg? Mick Taylor joined at 7 years.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 18, 2015 09:07

ovalvox
As hard as Mick and Keith try they just can't change history. Read Keith's life. Brian Jones formed the Rolling Stones with Stu his first recruit. He lead the Rolling Stones until he sliced his own throat by hiring Oldham. He chose the songs they played. He is on record by multiple reliable sources as being the better guitar player at the formation of the Stones. Sorry Mathjis but Brian could play more than just simple chords. The IBC recordings are proof of that. Mick and Keith should ask God for thanks. Brian Knight could have been the lead singer and Geoff Bradford could have been the other guitarist. Not saying this alternate reality would have made any of them stars. Most likely not. They would have all descended into obscurity. There was a certain chemistry that made the Stones and Brian Jones was clearly in that equation. The catalyst so to speak. Take Brian out of the equation and Mick and Keith are unwittingly altering their current reality. No Jones no stones. And although Brian is marginalized by Mick and Keith. As long as his fans are around that isn't going to happen. As for the plaque in Dartford? I'm sure they are proud that Mick and Keith are from there. And there is only so much you can squeeze on a plaque. If they want to believe it let them. The rest of the world knows differently.

I was with you right up to that sentence. But, gosh darn it, I told them they were wrong, and the leader of the Council replied - see my quoted emails nearer the start of this thread.

As for Bill? He's always wanted his day in the sun but it's hard to get around the most famous front line in music history.

Only kept so that no-one could say I sneakily snipped that bit out.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-18 09:09 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 18, 2015 11:13

Turner68
Bill wyman replaces the plaque
Sometime later Armageddon strikes
It appears only cockroaches are left
But.... Out of the rubble Keith Richards emerges holding a bill wyman signature metal detector
Which he uses to search throughout greater London find the original plaque
And put it back up at what is left of dartford train station
"Gold rings on ya Bill" Keith says, patting the metal detector with his hands and smiling his sly grin

I am working on the screenplay for this.

smileys with beer

Also, this way you avoid having to solve the impossible question of who is going to play Charlie Watts.

Date: June 18, 2015 11:15

lem motlow
Naturalust

peace

Reading between the lines in Keith Richards' "Life", you could almost make a point that the Stones met thanks to World War II. And if you think who was responsible for that... Oh dear...

Date: June 18, 2015 11:23

duke richardson
Keith has said many time it was Stu's band..grinning smiley

lem motlow-

no disputing facts. Brian started the Rollin' Stones. no argument there.

he assholed himself out of the Rolling Stones too.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home