Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger on new Don Henley Country Record
Date: September 19, 2015 23:15

LongBeachArena72
I think it's a lovely tune, beautifully sung, but I would imagine the Hounds of Hell are shortly to be unleashed on Mick hereabouts.

Lightyears better than Suspicious and Lover’s Plea, right? winking smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 19, 2015 23:21

These Mick camp brigade are really suffering with jelousy at the moment
Its getting desperate, all their man can come up with is this rubbish
I mean come on guys what's happening here ??
Mick should be making music with Keith
Keith has been making all the sounds to go and record a Stones album and nothing from Mick
Mick just wants to tour because thats where the money is
He is not interested in being creative any more, its obvious

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 19, 2015 23:23

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
I think it's a lovely tune, beautifully sung, but I would imagine the Hounds of Hell are shortly to be unleashed on Mick hereabouts.

I think Keith would probably like the tune. grinning smiley Probably rip a decent version of it on piano if he wanted.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2015 23:36

The tune might have been better if it was left as an instrumental...it does have a pleasing country-esque feel to it.

Date: September 19, 2015 23:43

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

I think Keith would probably like the tune. grinning smiley Probably rip a decent version of it on piano if he wanted.

Yeah, it was cool to see him play both piano and spanish guitar beautifully in the film.

A nice kickback to some posters here who very stoutly doubted his abilities on both counts smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2015 23:50

keefriffhards
Keith has been making all the sounds to go and record a Stones album and nothing from Mick

As much as you seem to want it to be a Keith vs. Mick thing riffhards it just isn't, imo. People can love or hate this record without a single thought about Mick. Mick has told us he has been writing songs and making great demos (his words) so I doubt the creative impulse is gone from the Man. He has guested on records and probably done as much or more recording as Keith in the years since ABB.

Besides, the SA Stones tour is forthcoming, they have all agreed a new Stones record is their intention what more do you want? Mick is probably remaining silent since he is just respecting Keith's moment in the limelight, doesn't want to detract from it with talk of his projects, Stones or otherwise.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 19, 2015 23:51

The album is great

Date: September 19, 2015 23:59

Naturalust
keefriffhards

As much as you seem to want it to be a Keith vs. Mick thing riffhards it just isn't, imo. People can love or hate this record without a single thought about Mick. Mick has told us he has been writing songs and making great demos (his words) so I doubt the creative impulse is gone from the Man. He has guested on records and probably done as much or more recording as Keith in the years since ABB.

Besides, the SA Stones tour is forthcoming, they have all agreed a new Stones record is their intention what more do you want? Mick is probably remaining silent since he is just respecting Keith's moment in the limelight, doesn't want to detract from it with talk of his projects, Stones or otherwise.

If I should guess, this might have something to do with unnecessary downgrading comments of Keith fans, while praising Mick.

It's ok, LongBeachArena72, no one will attack you for enjoying Mick's cameo on Henley's record. I even like some Henley ballads with the Eagles myself.

It's unforgivable that you don't like any of the Crosseyed Heart songs, but that's another matter winking smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 00:07

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

Don't know about that, Dandie. In general, I prefer the singing voices of Miranda Lambert, Mick Jagger, and Don Henley to Keith Richards' voice. I wouldn't presume to judge whether Tift Merritt's song is better than Keith's songs. I just know that I like it better.

Date: September 20, 2015 00:09

Naturalust
keefriffhards

I dont want to fall out with you NL
But what you just said sums up the whole problem with the Stones making a new album
Mick comes to the recording sessions with his songs almost complete
We want a collaboration this time, not 2 halves
This is where their genius lies, working together
And as for me wanting a Mick v Keith camp, keiths camp has had a gut full of your negativity towards keith, but like me, you can be won over
I have seen the change in your posts lately, you really seem to be respecting Keiths efforts
I want to respect Micks efforts but its been hard with all this creative inactivity

Date: September 20, 2015 00:14

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards

If I should guess, this might have something to do with unnecessary downgrading comments of Keith fans, while praising Mick.

It's ok, LongBeachArena72, no one will attack you for enjoying Mick's cameo on Henley's record. I even like some Henley ballads with the Eagles myself.

It's unforgivable that you don't like any of the Crosseyed Heart songs, but that's another matter winking smiley

I like "Goodnight Irene" a lot--lovely version.

"Just a Gift" is my favorite of the originals.

Is there an echo of "Sweethearts Together" in the chorus of "Heartstopper"?

I don't have anything against Keith's record at all. I make fun of what I see as the over-the-top defensiveness of people who in the process of defending Keith want to minimize Mick's contributions to the band.

There are some nice grooves and cool instrumentation all over the record. It's just ultimately a it of a snooze-rest for me. Glad people are digging it ... though I must admit I'm getting some good giggles out of the occasional comparisons to EOMS, SF, etc.

Date: September 20, 2015 00:33

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards

I like "Goodnight Irene" a lot--lovely version.

"Just a Gift" is my favorite of the originals.

Is there an echo of "Sweethearts Together" in the chorus of "Heartstopper"?

I don't have anything against Keith's record at all. I make fun of what I see as the over-the-top defensiveness of people who in the process of defending Keith want to minimize Mick's contributions to the band.

There are some nice grooves and cool instrumentation all over the record. It's just ultimately a it of a snooze-rest for me. Glad people are digging it ... though I must admit I'm getting some good giggles out of the occasional comparisons to EOMS, SF, etc.

Giggle as you may this album is gong to win awards, plus remember longbeach EOMS had a shaky start.
I myself grew to love it but not straight away

Date: September 20, 2015 00:51

keefriffhards
Giggle as you may this album is gong to win awards, plus remember longbeach EOMS had a shaky start.
I myself grew to love it but not straight away

The problem is it's hard to categorize. Possibly a contender in the Americana Grammy category, who knows. What awards are you expecting this record to win?

Date: September 20, 2015 08:03

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

But what you just said sums up the whole problem with the Stones making a new album
And as for me wanting a Mick v Keith camp, keiths camp has had a gut full of your negativity towards keith, but like me, you can be won over
I have seen the change in your posts lately, you really seem to be respecting Keiths efforts
I want to respect Micks efforts but its been hard with all this creative inactivity

I think you're right, young riffhards; Keith has had a VERY hard go of it here on IORR.

FREE KEITH!

Date: September 20, 2015 08:12

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

One other remark, regarding the bolded text above: do we know for a fact that what they come into the studio with now is much different than it was in the past? You guys have schooled me on how Keith wrote "Gimme Shelter" by himself and "Brown Sugar" was all Mick. Were those the rare exceptions, or have they always each come in with ideas of their own that they then worked on together in the studio? I'm not trolling here. I've never attended a Rolling Stones recording session and I do not know how it works. I understand that perhaps Mick's ideas are more "complete" and Keith's "looser." But isn't it possible it was always like that and the only thing that has changed is not their working method, the nature of their collaboration, but the fact that they have been running on fumes for 35 years and don't have a memorable, irresistible hit song between them to show for it?

Date: September 20, 2015 15:02

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

I think you just might be misinterpreting my balance toward Mick AND Keith concerning things like songwriting as negativity toward Keith. I'm not in Mick's camp or Keith's camp, have mostly rejected the entire concept of "camps", don't believe either one is as great as the sum of their parts. During WWW3 I might have got caught up in the whole divisive thing and leaned slightly towards Keith's point of view, might have even felt a bit of those feelings again while reading Life, but negativity towards Keith is a stretch.

Pretty easy to see your negativity toward Mick though, you've been pretty open about it. Perhaps you are projecting that my positive comments concerning Mick necessarily imply a negativity toward Keith. They don't. I may be just trying to balance the scales a bit. I will reiterate that I think Mick has done as much creative output as Keith, perhaps even more.

In terms of songwriting, I'm not sure how they work together these days. I'd guess they've tried to resurrect the old partnership and methods but obviously haven't been as successful as the past. I could speculate on the reasons why, have done so in the past, but generally think it's just a result of them both maturing as individual songwriters and men and there really is no going back to the old days....and neither has come up with as great of songs as they once did. But, I think there were plenty of songs back in the day that Mick brought to the table more complete than you may give him credit for and that he worked hard on Keith's incomplete sketches to develop them. Keith has talked about that recently, saying he would throw out ideas ad leave them to Mick to turn into songs while he went searching for the next idea. They have probably continued to try to work like that and without knowing more it's hard to say if it's Mick's fault for not putting enough effort into making Keith's ideas better or Keith fault for not having better ideas.

Let's hope they come together for one last collaborative effort which produces magical music that put all these arguments to rest.

Date: September 20, 2015 23:44

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

I think you just might be misinterpreting my balance toward Mick AND Keith concerning things like songwriting as negativity toward Keith. I'm not in Mick's camp or Keith's camp, have mostly rejected the entire concept of "camps", don't believe either one is as great as the sum of their parts. During WWW3 I might have got caught up in the whole divisive thing and leaned slightly towards Keith's point of view, might have even felt a bit of those feelings again while reading Life, but negativity towards Keith is a stretch.

Pretty easy to see your negativity toward Mick though, you've been pretty open about it. Perhaps you are projecting that my positive comments concerning Mick necessarily imply a negativity toward Keith. They don't. I may be just trying to balance the scales a bit. I will reiterate that I think Mick has done as much creative output as Keith, perhaps even more.

In terms of songwriting, I'm not sure how they work together these days. I'd guess they've tried to resurrect the old partnership and methods but obviously haven't been as successful as the past. I could speculate on the reasons why, have done so in the past, but generally think it's just a result of them both maturing as individual songwriters and men and there really is no going back to the old days....and neither has come up with as great of songs as they once did. But, I think there were plenty of songs back in the day that Mick brought to the table more complete than you may give him credit for and that he worked hard on Keith's incomplete sketches to develop them. Keith has talked about that recently, saying he would throw out ideas ad leave them to Mick to turn into songs while he went searching for the next idea. They have probably continued to try to work like that and without knowing more it's hard to say if it's Mick's fault for not putting enough effort into making Keith's ideas better or Keith fault for not having better ideas.

Let's hope they come together for one last collaborative effort which produces magical music that put all these arguments to rest.

Well why does it still seem to me that Mick is not, and has not, been committed to working closely with Keith
I honestly don't see the point in the continuation of the Stones if it is going to be on the same format as the last 20 years
Sure its a good show, a fantastic show in fact, but for the real fans like us it becomes very samey
I don't know how many times i have to repeat myself on here for you to understand that i only ever had a problem with Mick when it comes to his solo work
I just don't think it does him justice, plain and simple
I suffered the 80's when i first got into the Stones and it was terrible
The frustration of being so nuts about the stones and they could not even do Live Aid together
So i do hold all that against Jagger, but i still think he is the second most amazing man on the Planet , after Keith lol
Who knows, as you say, they may bury the hatchet and make sweet music together one more time, lets hope so
NL i do enjoy your posts, your great as far as i'm concerned, you certainly have a way with words
Have you thought about writing a book on the Stones ??
You have a very free agile mind with great focus. Very rare to find imho

Date: September 21, 2015 00:07

Thanks riffhards, no I don't ever plan on writing a book on the Stones. I get most of my information from here and on EOMS and the Stones books I've read. I do obviously enjoy discourse with other Stones fans, including yourself. Some great and interesting ideas get tossed around and that's what floats my boat here.

As I said, my discussions concerning Mick's contributions to the Stones are genuine and possibly just trying to balance the scales a bit amid all this Keith worship. I love them both for different reasons but have always been surprised to find out how much work Mick has done to make the Stones songs what they are; not just lyrically and vocally, but with fully formed songs, musical ideas and arrangements. I think some people would also be surprised to learn how great a musician Mick is, it tends to get lost in his role as a singer and front man.

That being said, I also think Mick's musical tastes and sensibilities have drifted away from the more pure rock and blues many of us love so much about Stones music, while Keith's have stayed a bit closer. To be genuine as a songwriter and creator it seems you have to please yourself first and I think what pleases Mick these days is just probably different than what pleases you or me. That is bound to effect the way he and Keith approach new Stones music, they are probably farther apart in their musical tastes as they have ever been. For example, can a guy who loves Beyonce and Madonna truly take a Keith idea and develop it into something all of us love? Perhaps he can, he certainly has in the past, let's hope he can again.

Date: September 21, 2015 00:34

Naturalust
Thanks riffhards, no I don't ever plan on writing a book on the Stones. I get most of my information from here and on EOMS and the Stones books I've read. I do obviously enjoy discourse with other Stones fans, including yourself. Some great and interesting ideas get tossed around and that's what floats my boat here.

As I said, my discussions concerning Mick's contributions to the Stones are genuine and possibly just trying to balance the scales a bit amid all this Keith worship. I love them both for different reasons but have always been surprised to find out how much work Mick has done to make the Stones songs what they are; not just lyrically and vocally, but with fully formed songs, musical ideas and arrangements. I think some people would also be surprised to learn how great a musician Mick is, it tends to get lost in his role as a singer and front man.

That being said, I also think Mick's musical tastes and sensibilities have drifted away from the more pure rock and blues many of us love so much about Stones music, while Keith's have stayed a bit closer. To be genuine as a songwriter and creator it seems you have to please yourself first and I think what pleases Mick these days is just probably different than what pleases you or me. That is bound to effect the way he and Keith approach new Stones music, they are probably farther apart in their musical tastes as they have ever been. For example, can a guy who loves Beyonce and Madonna truly take a Keith idea and develop it into something all of us love? Perhaps he can, he certainly has in the past, let's hope he can again.

I wonder if Mick likes Madonna and Beyonce more on a level of measured success than of their music
Madonna is worth like 800 million dollars
I honestly think Mick might be turned on enough by Keith's new album to want to record with him again
I think we all thought Keith was washed up after his Subdural Hematoma and Mick must have thought the same. I'm only guessing obviously
Keith has kind of laid the gauntlet down to Mick with this
Mick has a very competitive nature and i am sure this album will spring him into action
I just hope its with Keith and not some other player
Another thing hanging in the pipeline is the possibility of a album of duets from Mick
They had a lot of live duets over the last few years and i get the feeling Mick initiated them for a reason..

Date: September 24, 2015 16:29

The track is ok. Mick did a good job. Nothing noteworthy, though.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 24, 2015 16:33

The bickering on this site is just awful. For how easy it is to get banned from this site can't believe this is constantly allowed.

Date: September 24, 2015 16:42

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

Don't know about that, Dandie. In general, I prefer the singing voices of Miranda Lambert, Mick Jagger, and Don Henley to Keith Richards' voice. I wouldn't presume to judge whether Tift Merritt's song is better than Keith's songs. I just know that I like it better.

The day I prefer Henley's voice to Keith's I'll definitely find a new favourite band smiling smiley

Imagine Henley's You Got The Silver, Happy, Before They Make me Run, Little T+A, Memory Motel, Coming Down Again...

Ouch, no I will stop this now...

PS: And this is coming from one who actually likes some of the stuff from The Eagles smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 24, 2015 17:23

The Eagles have lots of pretty stuff to easily fall azzzzzzzzzleep to. Everyone should have at least a ballad-comp of the Eagles, so you dont have to use sleeping pills if sleep stays away from you. I wonder how Don Henley kept Mick awake in the studio.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 17:26

Don Henley is a big pile of poop. He even comes across as a total jerk in their "official" band documentary!

Date: September 24, 2015 17:39

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

The day I prefer Henley's voice to Keith's I'll definitely find a new favourite band smiling smiley

Imagine Henley's You Got The Silver, Happy, Before They Make me Run, Little T+A, Memory Motel, Coming Down Again...

PS: And this is coming from one who actually likes some of the stuff from The Eagles smiling smiley

Without commenting on who's voice I like better, I do actually think Henley is a better singer than Keith, technically speaking. I will say I like Jagger better than either of them, by a long shot.

Date: September 24, 2015 17:54

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

Without commenting on who's voice I like better, I do actually think Henley is a better singer than Keith, technically speaking. I will say I like Jagger better than either of them, by a long shot.

Michael Bolton is also a way better singer technicallly. Nuff said.

Date: September 24, 2015 18:12

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

It's easy, Dandie. Just focus on the 95% of the band's discography that doesn't feature Keith on lead vox -- there's still enough there to make them your favorite band! (And, for the record, I love Keith as a backup vocalist--very charming and adds a lot of nice touches to classic Stones songs.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2015 18:48

I will always love The Eagle's tune Take it to the Limit (Meisner lead vocal),
and can't deny they made some great hits throughout the '70's.
I will always have a copy of 'Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)' in my collection.
Won't always listen to it, but there is some nostalgia there that reflects alot of that era.

"It was the best selling album of the 20th century in the U.S"

Eagles Greatest

With that said, have never really liked anything much from Don Henley solo except maybe his tune Sunset Grill (mainly the lyrics ).
Back in the day, friends and I would sometimes grab a burger there prior to a night of mayhem in Hollywood.
It was sold and re-bought in the '90's (?) and is now part of the Hollywood tourist trap.
Production-wise the song hasn't aged very well, but the lyrics remain the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 18:50 by Hairball.

Date: September 24, 2015 19:48

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

It's easy, Dandie. Just focus on the 95% of the band's discography that doesn't feature Keith on lead vox -- there's still enough there to make them your favorite band! (And, for the record, I love Keith as a backup vocalist--very charming and adds a lot of nice touches to classic Stones songs.)

You can't separate his vocals. Whether it's Connection, Casino Boogie, Brown Sugar or Blues In The Morning, Keith's singing is such a big part of the Stones's music and soul to me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:12

keefriffhards

You're right...they're suffering! They can listen to Goddess or She's the boss, or Primitive Cool too!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home