Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hot Rocks Vinyl "Includes Their Biggest Hits:"
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 7, 2015 23:17

Just curious if anyone has more info on this release. The cover has "Includes Their Biggest Hits:" at the top along with the track names. I know about the version with the alternate Brown Sugar & Wild Horses but what, if anything, makes this one different other than the cover? Also, does this give any indication as to the pressing date? Since it is a sticker, is it a promo?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 00:59 by shadooby.

Re: Hot Rocks Vinyl "Includes Their Biggest Hits:"
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 8, 2015 01:33

Link?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 8, 2015 01:37

Not my scan, but it looks like this one here. Picked it up used in excellent condition throughout for 15 bucks. By the way, the sticker is on the album itself and not the shrink wrap.

Posted by: paulieb00 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 03:22

Hi,
It's just an early hype sticker.
Nothing really unusual or ultra-rare about it.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 04:29

i had a copy with that exact sticker when i was 10 years old. it was just how they packaged the albums in the 70s, and possibly later. i highly doubt it is of any value, any 'peaches' record store in the midwest carried dozens of copies.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 8, 2015 09:17

edit- oops my mistake, I thought this person was asking for and might appreciate some tips.
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 15:07 by relms.

Date: June 8, 2015 13:09

Again...I never asked if it was rare or valuable. I just wanted more information on it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 8, 2015 16:19

I have a couple of copies of this, including a sealed 'promo' copy. My understanding as well is just that it was an early copy, with the hype sticker to advertise what it was, given there really wasn't a title on the front of the album artwork.

So, and not that you're asking, but little 'extra' value just because of the sticker.

Date: June 8, 2015 17:55

treaclefingers
I have a couple of copies of this, including a sealed 'promo' copy. My understanding as well is just that it was an early copy, with the hype sticker to advertise what it was, given there really wasn't a title on the front of the album artwork.

So, and not that you're asking, but little 'extra' value just because of the sticker.

Thanks, I'm really surprised that being an early copy it's in such good shape then.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 8, 2015 21:21

Another thing is my original pressing of this LP uses the "guitar intro" Time Is ON MY Side while the 90s(??) LONDON Red Label (remastered from original tapes)..before the ABKCO Red Label release uses the "organ intro" version that appears on "12x5"...that's a bit irritating..

Date: June 8, 2015 23:46

This has a blue label, are these the first pressings?

Date: June 8, 2015 23:49

scottkeef
Another thing is my original pressing of this LP uses the "guitar intro" Time Is ON MY Side while the 90s(??) LONDON Red Label (remastered from original tapes)..before the ABKCO Red Label release uses the "organ intro" version that appears on "12x5"...that's a bit irritating..

That's funny. I only know the hot rocks version and never knew there was an organ intro to that song.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:51

Turner68
scottkeef

That's funny. I only know the hot rocks version and never knew there was an organ intro to that song.

Here ya go, Turner.

Date: June 8, 2015 23:53

Turner68
scottkeef

that's what she said.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:55

treaclefingers
Turner68
scottkeef

that's what she said.

Well, no one ever said this website was known for maturity...

Date: June 9, 2015 00:50

HearMeKnockin
treaclefingers
Turner68
scottkeef

that's what she said.

she also said that!

Date: June 9, 2015 00:51

treaclefingers
HearMeKnockin
treaclefingers
Turner68
scottkeef

that's what she said.

she also said that!

How did this topic get so long?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 00:53 by Turner68.

Date: June 9, 2015 00:56

Turner68
treaclefingers
HearMeKnockin
treaclefingers
Turner68
scottkeef

that's what she said.

she also said that!

How did this topic get so long?

damn, she also said that!

Date: June 9, 2015 01:27

I give up.

Date: June 9, 2015 06:15

shadooby
I give up.

Sorry man...sometimes threads just run their course. Your topic was pretty narrow, "the hype sticker on Hot Rocks...what's the story was behind it".

I mean it's obviously on there to promote the album. They must have been concerned that know one would know at a glance that it was even a stones album when it was first released. With the strained relationship ABKCO had with the band at that time, they sure weren't going to get support from the Stones in selling it so they made what was probably a good decision in including that sticker.

Of course now the album cover is practically iconic so it's probably not necessary.

Date: June 9, 2015 07:35

treaclefingers
shadooby
I give up.

Sorry man...sometimes threads just run their course. Your topic was pretty narrow, "the hype sticker on Hot Rocks...what's the story was behind it".

I mean it's obviously on there to promote the album. They must have been concerned that know one would know at a glance that it was even a stones album when it was first released. With the strained relationship ABKCO had with the band at that time, they sure weren't going to get support from the Stones in selling it so they made what was probably a good decision in including that sticker.

Of course now the album cover is practically iconic so it's probably not necessary.

agreed. i would guess late in the stage of designing the album - perhaps even after it went to press - they got feedback from retailers that people weren't going to know what was on the album, etc. so the sticker was applied. it was pretty common back in the 70s to have such stickers on albums e.g. "including the smash hit angie" etc. what i do remember from back then is that if i'm not mistaken this sticker was applied directly to the album cover, rather than on the cellophane packaging.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 13:42

I think the huge ''including the hits'' sticker was Klien's way of getting the customer's attention right away considering the most recent songs at the time were listed first instead of in order. i always wondered about the history of the cover photo i'm guessing it was originally planned to be a cover or part of another album's artwork.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 9, 2015 15:20

Seems to be some BEGGARS BANQUET photo sessions that were options but not used.

Date: June 9, 2015 16:14

GasLightStreet
Seems to be some BEGGARS BANQUET photo sessions that were options but not used.

I think you are correct sir.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home