Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar Tips?
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:39

Hey all. I was just wondering if anyone might have any tips on how to get my guitar to sound more like Keith's usual sound? I use a (made in mexico) Stratocaster, and I have a Fender Deluxe amp. I also have a Tokai Love Rock, but I only use it for songs like Sympathy or Carol. I've been messing about with the settings, but I usually have it at
-very high treble
-medium bass
-and I use a Fender drive pedal that came with the amp. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you!
P.S. I know that getting a Telecaster would get me a closer sound, but I figured that Keith sometimes uses a Strat, and I believe it's easier to make a strat sound like a tele than vice versa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 01:48 by stones2000.

Re: Guitar Tips?
Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2015 02:39

Turn the mid up with the treble.

Also, maybe try a clean boost pedal?

I think Keith has used a Zinky Master Blaster in the past.

A tele, slap echo and cranked tweed twins is the real deal but the other may get you somewhat close.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2015 02:46

Keith likes stratocasters too. His current sound is just a small example of his many useful tones.

Date: June 2, 2015 03:50

DoomandGloom
Keith likes stratocasters too. His current sound is just a small example of his many useful tones.

That's true! I think his sound was pretty different in the 1972 DVD, for example

Date: June 2, 2015 03:53

beachbreak
Turn the mid up with the treble.

Also, maybe try a clean boost pedal?

I think Keith has used a Zinky Master Blaster in the past.

A tele, slap echo and cranked tweed twins is the real deal but the other may get you somewhat close.

Thanks so much for the tips! I'll try out what you said

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 2, 2015 04:15

Dont sound like Keith. Sound like yourself.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:53

More Hot Rocks

More hot rocks has a point. If you try to sound like Keith you will fail but if you try to sound like yourself but let Keith's influence come in then you will get closer.

That being said learn open g. That will help a ton.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:27

At your age try to sound like Keith all you want, just don't try to live like he did, you'll never make 16. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:30

More Hot Rocks
Agreed, trying to imitate someone else's sound (especially Keith's, who has a very distinctive one) will only restrict your musicianship. Just branch out and don't worry if you sound like Keith or not. You're probably better off not... you don't wanna be the guy who everyone says about, "Hey, that's the guy who sounds like Keith Richards." You want your own identity, not someone else's.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:11

If you know how to solder or know somebody who can do it for you, there is a mod for the Strat that adds a switch to turn on the neck pup irregardless of the position original selector switch. Google it (Strat switch mod, or 7 sounds Strat mod). With the mod, you can have the neck and bridge pickups on at the same time (not possible on a stock Strat that doesn't have S1 switching). That makes a Strat sound very Telecaster-ish. You also have the option to have all 3 pickups on at the same time (a feature you will not use as much as one might think).

Also, as with any MIM (made in Mexico) Fender, if you can upgrade the pickups to MIA pups, you'll be much happier.

Date: June 2, 2015 07:21

More Hot Rocks

Good advice, thank you. But at the same time, it's cool to be able to get closer to that guitar sound I love so much

Date: June 2, 2015 07:23

nankerphlege
More Hot Rocks

More hot rocks has a point. If you try to sound like Keith you will fail but if you try to sound like yourself but let Keith's influence come in then you will get closer.

That being said learn open g. That will help a ton.

I actually already have learned Open G! My Strat is almost always in Open G now, and my Tokai's usually in standard. It does help a ton!

Date: June 2, 2015 07:27

Naturalust
At your age try to sound like Keith all you want, just don't try to live like he did, you'll never make 16. smoking smiley

peace

Lol yeah. I don't consider the drugs/alcohol to be an integral part of Keith's personality, anyway. He was/is an amazing, incredible guitarist, and a really cool guy regardless of all the "booze and pills and powders". And he's proven that now that he's clean. He's every bit the Keith he always was. To me, it least

Date: June 2, 2015 07:28

5stringTele
If you know how to solder or know somebody who can do it for you, there is a mod for the Strat that adds a switch to turn on the neck pup irregardless of the position original selector switch. Google it (Strat switch mod, or 7 sounds Strat mod). With the mod, you can have the neck and bridge pickups on at the same time (not possible on a stock Strat that doesn't have S1 switching). That makes a Strat sound very Telecaster-ish. You also have the option to have all 3 pickups on at the same time (a feature you will not use as much as one might think).

Also, as with any MIM (made in Mexico) Fender, if you can upgrade the pickups to MIA pups, you'll be much happier.

Ooh, I might have to try that! Thanks for that advice, greatly appreciated!

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:38

Sometimes, when a guitarist is struggling to find a specific tone, other guitarists refer to it as, "chasing the dragon."

There is no known cure.

Date: June 2, 2015 07:40

5stringTele
Sometimes, when a guitarist is struggling to find a specific tone, other guitarists refer to it as, "chasing the dragon."

There is no known cure.

That's a good analogy. I'll keep at it, and try out all the great tips I've been given

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2015 08:06

stones2000
DoomandGloom

That's true! I think his sound was pretty different in the 1972 DVD, for example
yup, he also used a maple neck stratocaster for 5 string in the 70's. He's always been a Gibson man as well. Learn TD, Exile and Brussels, there's many Keithisms hidden behind the verses. I guess Exile TD is a Gibson Flying V!

Date: June 2, 2015 08:52

DoomandGloom
stones2000
DoomandGloom

yup, he also used a maple neck stratocaster for 5 string in the 70's. He's always been a Gibson man as well. Learn TD, Exile and Brussels, there's many Keithisms hidden behind the verses. I guess Exile TD is a Gibson Flying V!

I already know most of Exile TD. I'll check out Brussels!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home