Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Why couldn't they do all of Sticky Fingers in a stadium for hard core fans?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:38

I can't possibly fathom someone who could STILL follow this band around and see them practically every night. That would be excruciating at this point. It's just been a continual coming down on stage since 1999, with each tour delivering a little less. They might be playing incrementally better since Keith has had since 2012 to knock off some of the rust, but there's nothing earth shattering to hear on stage anymore. And they want to play it safe and please the lowest common denominator. I can see why this basically Midwest tour would be exciting, since they haven't played there in quite a while now. And at least in Indianapolis they'll get a bang up fireworks show.

It's their fault. They set the bar way up high decades ago. That's why the archival stuff is so fascinating for me at least. I get to remember what all the shouting was about.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:49

24FPS
I can't possibly fathom someone who could STILL follow this band around and see them practically every night. That would be excruciating at this point. It's just been a continual coming down on stage since 1999, with each tour delivering a little less. They might be playing incrementally better since Keith has had since 2012 to knock off some of the rust, but there's nothing earth shattering to hear on stage anymore. And they want to play it safe and please the lowest common denominator. I can see why this basically Midwest tour would be exciting, since they haven't played there in quite a while now. And at least in Indianapolis they'll get a bang up fireworks show.

It's their fault. They set the bar way up high decades ago. That's why the archival stuff is so fascinating for me at least. I get to remember what all the shouting was about.

since 1999? what? was that the first show you saw? they've been in decline since 1971. but they still put on a great show. just one with no surprises.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: June 2, 2015 10:18

HearMeKnockin
Agree with a lot of what's been said, and I can see both sides, but I have to say it does seem like the Stones haven't had a lot of guts lately... I get they want to appeal to a wider base, but it's not like the album cuts are junk! CYHMK is a great song and it was never on a single, Sway and Sister Morphine are great, too; in fact, most of SF is great. And for crying out loud, in 1975, on the TOTA, they played Hey Negrita, a track not even released yet! But I digress...
I think thrak put a good setlist together for the Stones, a better list than they themselves could probably manage, but IMHO, it could use a couple tweaks...
thrak
Start Me Up
Iorr CYHMK
19th
Anybody Seen My Baby
Doom & Gloom
Sway
Bitch
Dead Flowers
Honky Tonk Woman
Happy
This Place Is Empty
Midnight Rambler
Gimme shelter
Under My Thumb
Mixed Emotion/ Rock And A Hard Place/ Undercover
Sympathy
JJF
YCAGWYW
Satisfaction Brown Sugar
Thrak made a great setlist, but my logic is this:
Brown Sugar > Satisfaction: I think we all know how Satisfaction sounds... and it gets hugely dragged out, more than BS probably will, particularly with Keys 6 feet under (RIP Bobby). Plus, they're supposed to be promoting SF, so why not include its biggest hit?
CYHMK > IORR: I personally think IORR is a little overrated as a song... at in any case, imho, CYMHK is a lot better than a lot of Stones songs.
So... one more album cut and I killed a warhorse in IORR.
Criticisms, suggestions, complaints, death threats, I welcome it all.smiling smiley

I missed Brown Sugar. We can replace Iorr with it. I think Satisfaction is a must even if we're tired of it.

Date: June 2, 2015 10:33

Turner68
24FPS

since 1999? what? was that the first show you saw? they've been in decline since 1971. but they still put on a great show. just one with no surprises.

There are always surprises in RS shows. They could have played one song all night, and there still would be surprises smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 10:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2015 11:02

24FPS

Stockholm 2014 was really great !!
Jeroen

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 2, 2015 13:43

Turner68
that is my favorite band that i know and love so well .

Date: June 2, 2015 13:57

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
24FPS

There are always surprises in RS shows. They could have played one song all night, and there still would be surprises smiling smiley

yes, although, i think we can all agree that if they just play one song all night, they should probably bring back mick taylor. endless noodling becomes a big advantage when we're talking about a 2 hour-long "wild horses"

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: June 2, 2015 14:00

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
24FPS

The last time I was legitimately surprised was Newark 1 where they did Around and Around. Berlin I was pleasantly surprised to get Waiting On A Friend, which I never heard, even though Lisa screwed it up by coming in late.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 2, 2015 14:03

donvis
The hard core fans should get all of Sticky Fingers.

They did that at the Fonda show. If you weren't there, you're obviously not a hard core fan.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 2, 2015 14:22

EddieByword
Turner68

Well, Mick jagger did say before the 2012 shows that he wanted to call the tour "The F uck off tour" but he was out voted, seems they have all come round to his way of thinking............

Nevertheless: notice how 'sir' Mick only/ really points these fingers forward (horizontally) here, in stead of sticking 'em up... I mean: even 'gentleman' Charlie sticks 'em up!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:05

donvis
Play a arena then and advertise
it that way.

it's play "an" arena beavis-but at least you use capitol letters in the proper place so you have that going for you.

you asked a question and i answered it.saying "again,you are missing the point" back to me doesnt change anything.

i'll try again-being a "hardcore fan" doesnt entitle you to anything,the stones dont give a shit.as important as you feel you are to them you're just another face in a very large crowd.

you may be spending what you think is a large amount of money but from the stage you're just a dot,you look just like the guy who bought lucky dip tickets and the guy who's employer gave him freebies and knows 3 songs.

you feel they owe you for,as you say "supporting them through thick and thin,buying shitty remasters and shoddy live albums".the reality is when you buy those records you are again a small dot,just one insignificant person in a group of millions and millions who have bought rolling stones records-

are you still wondering why they wont play a setlist just for you?

Date: June 2, 2015 19:26

Turner68
24FPS

Actually the first time I saw them was 1978, which was a mess, but fascinating. I didn't see them again until 1989, where the classic golden circle of Wood/Richards/Wyman & Watts locked into place and was transcendent. Voodoo Lounge & the Bridges to Babylon tours were nice, but lacking cohesion, but 1999 was a revelation, an actual arena tour with Keith and Charlie on fire. I expected the same in 2002 and it was a step down.

2005 at the Hollywood Bowl held promise because they played some real blues with Back of My Hand, but some things sounded silly, like Get Off of My Cloud. 2006 at Dodger Stadium was a magnificent event, sight and sound wise, with only Mick really 'on'. 'She Was Hot was the musical highlight. I saw them on the opening night in L.A. in 2013, and it was sad. Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler was good, along with the choir on YCAGWYW, but the only Keith memory was pulling off the first eight notes of JJF.

I don't how you can say 1971 was better than 1973, but to each his own. With the benefit of recently released archival DVDs and downloads we can see and hear where they were at different periods. Keith gets a better reputation when you watch Hampton from 1981. (And Bill just knocked 'em dead from '78 to '82.)

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:28

I agree with you lem, they don't give a shit about the fans.

Posted by: Sinkiller ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:32

So I have only seen the Stones 1 time. I'm, by definition, one of those non-hardcore generic Stones fans, and that's cool. After reading all the opinions on the current state of their set list, I thought I'd chime in with my own opinion. What the heck... it's good reading.

I have tickets to the Kansas City show ( 2 too many, actually ). I got lucky and acquired some floor section D seats after buying upper bowl.

Anyway... I last saw the Stones in 2003 in OKC, and I have to say... after comparing it to the Columbus list, I'm not too disappointed. Quite the opposite in fact. I am DYING to hear these old warhorses performed, as is every person I am travelling with. I sincerely hope the setlist is exactly what it was in Columbus.

I know it's not what you guys are looking for, but for those of us that don't go to every show every year, a hits-laden set is just about a dream come true. I've never heard live what I feel are some of the best Stones songs ever ( HELL..strike that, these are some of the biggest rock and roll songs ever made ) and I'm very excited about the chance to see / hear them.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

OH.. and I loved them in OKC and it was a top 3 concert in my life. I love Monkey Man, Loving Cup, and Sweet Virginia. So I'm not bitching about that. I just really love some of those songs that everyone else seems to hate around here.

smiling smiley

OKC January 2003

1. You Got Me Rocking
2. Street Fighting Man
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Live With Me
6. Monkey Man
7. Sweet Virginia
8. Loving Cup
9. Rocks Off
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Slipping Away
12. Happy
13. Sympathy For The Devil
14. Start Me Up
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
16. Honky Tonk Women
17. Satisfaction
18. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (B Stage)
19. Like A Rolling Stone (B Stage)
20. Brown Sugar (B Stage)
21. Jumping Jack Flash (Encore)

Columbus 2015

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock'n Roll
3. Let's Spend The Night Together
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Doom & Gloom
6. Bitch
7. Wild Horses
8. Paint It Black (by request)
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
11. Happy (Keith)
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Miss You
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Brown Sugar
18. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)
19. Satisfaction

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 2, 2015 19:34

RoughJusticeOnYa
EddieByword
Turner68

Well, Mick jagger did say before the 2012 shows that he wanted to call the tour "The F uck off tour" but he was out voted, seems they have all come round to his way of thinking............

Nevertheless: notice how 'sir' Mick only/ really points these fingers forward (horizontally) here, in stead of sticking 'em up... I mean: even 'gentleman' Charlie sticks 'em up!!

Exactly........always got keep the PR good even if it was his idea initially.......PS.I don't know what the f uck they've got to be so bitter about especially that Charlie Watts......

Maybe they're just being defensive about the criticisms of their lame and tired setlists..........££becasue we play them so well$$ .......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 23:09 by EddieByword.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:12

Stones50
The Stones do not have the balls.
They are Afraid of Failure ... To use a baseball term. They play "not to lose"

Date: June 2, 2015 20:35

Sinkiller
I last saw the Stones in 2003 in OKC, and I have to say... after comparing it to the Columbus list, I'm not too disappointed. Quite the opposite in fact. I am DYING to hear these old warhorses performed, as is every person I am travelling with. I sincerely hope the setlist is exactly what it was in Columbus.

I know it's not what you guys are looking for, but for those of us that don't go to every show every year, a hits-laden set is just about a dream come true. I've never heard live what I feel are some of the best Stones songs ever ( HELL..strike that, these are some of the biggest rock and roll songs ever made ) and I'm very excited about the chance to see / hear them.

you are not a "generic fan" as you said in your full post.it's the exact opposite- you are what it's all about.the reason they go on tour and the reason they play the big shows.people that enjoy the band for what it is outnumber those who don't by about 5000-1.

these concerts are for people to party and have fun,it's not an exercise in musical dexterity.
if a person has seen the band so many times that you're calling it the "same ol bullshit" as someone said here recently,it may be time to find a better use of your time and money.it's like that old saying-doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Date: June 2, 2015 21:03

Again everyone is missing the point.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:31

Stadium shows are not for the hard core fans. They are for the masses.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:35

lem motlow
donvis
Play a arena then and advertise
it that way.

it's play "an" arena beavis-but at least you use capitol letters in the proper place so you have that going for you.

you asked a question and i answered it.saying "again,you are missing the point" back to me doesnt change anything.

i'll try again-being a "hardcore fan" doesnt entitle you to anything,the stones dont give a shit.as important as you feel you are to them you're just another face in a very large crowd.

you may be spending what you think is a large amount of money but from the stage you're just a dot,you look just like the guy who bought lucky dip tickets and the guy who's employer gave him freebies and knows 3 songs.

you feel they owe you for,as you say "supporting them through thick and thin,buying shitty remasters and shoddy live albums".the reality is when you buy those records you are again a small dot,just one insignificant person in a group of millions and millions who have bought rolling stones records-

are you still wondering why they wont play a setlist just for you?

I hate to do this, but it's capital letters. In the US, there are only two "capitol" letters: D and C. I wouldn't have, but you called him out on "an."

Date: June 2, 2015 22:25

Rokyfan
I hate to do this, but it's capital letters. In the US, there are only two "capitol" letters: D and C. I wouldn't have, but you called him out on "an."

nice catch-but you're still not getting a sticky fingers set in a stadium.

Date: June 2, 2015 22:59

Sinkiller
So I have only seen the Stones 1 time. I'm, by definition, one of those non-hardcore generic Stones fans, and that's cool. After reading all the opinions on the current state of their set list, I thought I'd chime in with my own opinion. What the heck... it's good reading.

I have tickets to the Kansas City show ( 2 too many, actually ). I got lucky and acquired some floor section D seats after buying upper bowl.

Anyway... I last saw the Stones in 2003 in OKC, and I have to say... after comparing it to the Columbus list, I'm not too disappointed. Quite the opposite in fact. I am DYING to hear these old warhorses performed, as is every person I am travelling with. I sincerely hope the setlist is exactly what it was in Columbus.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

OH.. and I loved them in OKC and it was a top 3 concert in my life. I love Monkey Man, Loving Cup, and Sweet Virginia. So I'm not bitching about that. I just really love some of those songs that everyone else seems to hate around here.

smiling smiley

OKC January 2003

1. You Got Me Rocking
2. Street Fighting Man
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Live With Me
6. Monkey Man
7. Sweet Virginia
8. Loving Cup
9. Rocks Off
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Slipping Away
12. Happy
13. Sympathy For The Devil
14. Start Me Up
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
16. Honky Tonk Women
17. Satisfaction
18. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (B Stage)
19. Like A Rolling Stone (B Stage)
20. Brown Sugar (B Stage)
21. Jumping Jack Flash (Encore)

Columbus 2015

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. It's Only Rock'n Roll
3. Let's Spend The Night Together
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Doom & Gloom
6. Bitch
7. Wild Horses
8. Paint It Black (by request)
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
11. Happy (Keith)
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Miss You
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Brown Sugar
18. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)
19. Satisfaction

And god bless you and your (relatively) virgin ears. I hope you, and every fan like you, has a blast, and get the same thrill I used to get. They sound great to you because you've never heard them better. I went to a Brian Wilson concert a couple years back and it was a deeply emotional, fun time to hear those songs for the first time live. I was able to have the good time the rest of the audience was having. It didn't bother me that Brian uses some really good back up musicians and singers.

I just expect something more from the Stones than a Greatest Hits band. And yes, I've heard them too many times to be thrilled that Keith can get through Tumbling Dice one more time, or to get anything out of going 'Woo Woo' for the umpteenth time of Sympathy. That's why the archival releases are so great for old farts like me. And if they can ever get a Brian era soundboard concert out, all the better.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:07

In my mind the setlist is not a big issue if the playing is good enough. To hear more rarities first becomes important when the musical performance lacks that extra spark and musical brillance, which it does at this point.

In 2003 they did a lot of Stadium shows with setlists without any rare songs, just like this year, but those shows were still very enjoyable since the playing was so good.

Now when they've slowed down, they need to play more rare songs to make the concerts interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 23:08 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:18

jjo
Stones50

Well we are saying the same thing sort of -- they do not have the balls.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:24

24FPS

Interesting POV. Since Steel Wheel I was doing approx. 20-25 shows per tour not including Europe. 2013 only 6. Zip Code = 3.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:35

Stones50
jjo
Stones50

But who wouldn't rather see discussions about tired setlists than poor performances? We would all be somewhat heartbroken to see them taking chances and failing, not just them. As much as I hate to admit it I've just come to accept that they will and should do whatever they feel they can best pull off as 70+ year old performers.

That being said I did/do have some expectations of them performing more Sticky Fingers tunes, feel a bit like the hype is not being backed up by action. But I doubt the promise of SF tunes is the reason a majority of people are buying tickets. The whole setlist thing is primarily hard core fan issue.

peace

Date: June 3, 2015 00:23

Naturalust
Stones50
jjo
Stones50

But who wouldn't rather see discussions about tired setlists than poor performances? We would all be somewhat heartbroken to see them taking chances and failing, not just them. As much as I hate to admit it I've just come to accept that they will and should do whatever they feel they can best pull off as 70+ year old performers.

That being said I did/do have some expectations of them performing more Sticky Fingers tunes, feel a bit like the hype is not being backed up by action. But I doubt the promise of SF tunes is the reason a majority of people are buying tickets. The whole setlist thing is primarily hard core fan issue.

peace

There's a pattern here of vague promises, some not so vague, that they're not delivering on, and falling back into the lazy pattern of sclerotic set list. Keith certainly made it sound like Mick Taylor was going to be a lot more involved than one cameo on MR, and some useless strumming on Satisfaction. The songs they were rehearsing, All Down The Line, Sway, all pointed to some great Mick Taylor moments. And in the end I think the most he ever got was two songs early on in the 2013 tour. (Along with the obligatory Satisfaction strumming). So much obvious promise, so little delivery.

And yes, this is a Sticky Fingers themed tour. They need to pull out a couple rarities each night from that album. And Bitch and Brown Sugar don't count. But it looks like that even that small, teensy pleasure won't be happening. They could have tossed over the YCAGWYW choir (good as it is) and replaced it with a small string section for a nightly recital of Moonlight Mile, but that ain't going to happen.

I guess we're supposed to be happy that they bother to show up anywhere, at any cost, with extremely few surprises. And wouldn't it be great if this constant repetition of the same warhorses honed those songs to an unbelievably good zenith? But that ain't happening either.

Date: June 3, 2015 00:28

24FPS
Naturalust
Stones50
jjo
Stones50

peace

There's a pattern here of vague promises, some not so vague, that they're not delivering on, and falling back into the lazy pattern of sclerotic set list. Keith certainly made it sound like Mick Taylor was going to be a lot more involved than one cameo on MR, and some useless strumming on Satisfaction. The songs they were rehearsing, All Down The Line, Sway, all pointed to some great Mick Taylor moments. And in the end I think the most he ever got was two songs early on in the 2013 tour. (Along with the obligatory Satisfaction strumming). So much obvious promise, so little delivery.

And yes, this is a Sticky Fingers themed tour. They need to pull out a couple rarities each night from that album. And Bitch and Brown Sugar don't count. But it looks like that even that small, teensy pleasure won't be happening. They could have tossed over the YCAGWYW choir (good as it is) and replaced it with a small string section for a nightly recital of Moonlight Mile, but that ain't going to happen.

I guess we're supposed to be happy that they bother to show up anywhere, at any cost, with extremely few surprises. And wouldn't it be great if this constant repetition of the same warhorses honed those songs to an unbelievably good zenith? But that ain't happening either.

i think you're right, actually, about the lack of follow-through.

i was looking on their web site yesterday and it is now very careful to NOT say that this tour is about sticky fingers, however, you're absolutely right that leading up to the tour and in all their interviews they talked about how it would be heavier on sticky fingers.

i think the point you're on to ties back to the 50th anniversary tour - they seem to promise big things (wyman, taylor), and then retreat. either they are being intentionally deceptive (unlikely) or they are getting cold feet and retreating to safe territory. that's my guess.

most 70-somethings i know play it safe though. maybe it's to be expected.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 3, 2015 00:48

Turner68
i think you're right, actually, about the lack of follow-through.

i was looking on their web site yesterday and it is now very careful to NOT say that this tour is about sticky fingers, however, you're absolutely right that leading up to the tour and in all their interviews they talked about how it would be heavier on sticky fingers.

i think the point you're on to ties back to the 50th anniversary tour - they seem to promise big things (wyman, taylor), and then retreat. either they are being intentionally deceptive (unlikely) or they are getting cold feet and retreating to safe territory. that's my guess.

most 70-somethings i know play it safe though. maybe it's to be expected.

But these weren't supposed to be just ANY 70-somethings! These were supposed to be the Rolling Stones, who used to have some guts back in the 70s...
I mean, I know the Stones want to appeal to a wider audience, but they didn't seem to worry about that in the TOTA, when they did the then-unreleased Hey Negrita (and maybe other B&B songs) live on stage. So how is that so much better than doing Moonlight Mile, CYHMK, Sister Morphine, etc. on stage NOW?
I think the Stones need Taylor back for an entire show. But then there would be a risk of something interesting happening...

Date: June 3, 2015 02:01

I agree. But with exception of Cherry Oh Baby, the Black and Blue songs were played in 1976 on the European Tour. But they did take risks. Billy Preston 2 songs. Sure the One You Need, etc

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home