Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Why couldn't they do all of Sticky Fingers in a stadium for hard core fans?
Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: June 3, 2015 02:38

I saw the Stones perform "Sister Morphine" in Chicago in the 90's and the song did not go over well at all. It's was almost a solo vocal and Jagger just sounded like a wounded animal. They actually lost the crowd, people were not interested in Jagger moaning, They were talking among themselves and were completely tuned out.

It was tied with Keith and Ronnie with Bob Dylan at Live Aid for worst performance. I just goes to show some things you think are going to be great just don't always happen that way.

The casual fan that goes to a Stones show want to tap their foot and sing along to HTW. They could care less about the deep cuts.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 3, 2015 02:42

MisterO
I saw the Stones perform "Sister Morphine" in Chicago in the 90's and the song did not go over well at all. It's was almost a solo vocal and Jagger just sounded like a wounded animal. They actually lost the crowd, people were not interested in Jagger moaning, They were talking among themselves and were completely tuned out.

It was tied with Keith and Ronnie with Bob Dylan at Live Aid for worst performance. I just goes to show some things you think are going to be great just don't always happen that way.

The casual fan that goes to a Stones show want to tap their foot and sing along to HTW. They could care less about the deep cuts.

I guess I could see that, given how bad Mick's voice is now... but still! They have Dead Flowers, CYHMK, Sway, and the rest the album they're supposed to be promoting to perform! Surely they could pull of one of those...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 3, 2015 02:47

Jesus Christ we aren't talking about casual fans. We are talking about a 10 to 15k arena with a Sticky Fingers setlist publicized as such. The Fonda gig was officially announced at noon the same day as the show. Pretty hard for someone from Japan to get there. I maintain that there are enough stones fans that would pay to see that. Hell I would pay extra not to hear the Columbus Hot Rocks/Rewind set list as I am sure many others would.

Date: June 3, 2015 02:50

In response to the title of the thread...One word...

Profit.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 3, 2015 03:58

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
In response to the title of the thread...One word...

Profit.
One of the few responses to this thread that actually makes sense. Greed.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2015 05:50

dcba
To fill stadiums you need to become a human jukebox : just the hits plus a handful of "rarities".

That is a good theory but the reality is...the stadiums are already pretty much full. Can't use that excuse, time to produce.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2015 05:53

MisterO

That is the biggest myth ever perpetrated on a Stones fan.

BTW, Sister Morphine did just fine in Buffalo in 1997.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 3, 2015 06:43

Gfmsoccer
While they are still great rock stars, they are also smart businessmen.
They know the only way you can pull off a stadium tour theses days, is an all hits, warhorses show.

Bands that do album shows (Allman Bros, etc) do them in clubs for the hardcore fans who get into that. The Stones filmed that for you in LA, which will be out in the Fall. Stadium shows are not for the deep cut, hardcore fans. They are for 50,000 people who are classic rock fans and like to sign along with your big hits.

Ask ACDC, McCartney, Springsteen and the very few bands that can still do stadium shows. It's a sign-a-long baby! That's why they are there.

You are very lucky they did 4 new songs last night and actually do mix it up a little from show to show. This is their final stadium tour. Enjoy it while it lasts.

BULLSHIT!!!!

Ever joined a McCartney show the last 20 years???
Only warhorses?

And always this never-ending fairytale that "the Stones have no choice in big venues"???

Gimme a break!!!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 06:49

RawIguanaCologne
Gfmsoccer
While they are still great rock stars, they are also smart businessmen.
They know the only way you can pull off a stadium tour theses days, is an all hits, warhorses show.

Bands that do album shows (Allman Bros, etc) do them in clubs for the hardcore fans who get into that. The Stones filmed that for you in LA, which will be out in the Fall. Stadium shows are not for the deep cut, hardcore fans. They are for 50,000 people who are classic rock fans and like to sign along with your big hits.

Ask ACDC, McCartney, Springsteen and the very few bands that can still do stadium shows. It's a sign-a-long baby! That's why they are there.

You are very lucky they did 4 new songs last night and actually do mix it up a little from show to show. This is their final stadium tour. Enjoy it while it lasts.

BULLSHIT!!!!

Ever joined a McCartney show the last 20 years???
Only warhorses?

And always this never-ending fairytale that "the Stones have no choice in big venues"???

Gimme a break!!!!

McCartney is definitely playing some rarities on this tour.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 07:13

At the risk of going too off-topic for donvis, who gives a shit which 45-year-old songs they stuff their setlists with?

For the life of me I will never understand why the most important "hardcore fan" discussions center around questions like: why do they insist on playing SFTD instead of Jigsaw Puzzle?

The issue with The Stones is that they are creatively kaput and have not generated excitement for their new music in nearly 35 years.

Everything else, at least in my humble opinion, is arguing over the placement of the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic.

I say let 'em play whatever makes the most people happy and whatever they can manage with the least embarrassment. They've probably earned that right.

Date: June 3, 2015 07:15

LongBeachArena72
At the risk of going too off-topic for donvis, who gives a shit which 45-year-old songs they stuff their setlists with?

For the life of me I will never understand why the most important "hardcore fan" discussions center around questions like: why do they insist on playing SFTD instead of Jigsaw Puzzle?

The issue with The Stones is that they are creatively kaput and have not generated excitement for their new music in nearly 35 years.

Everything else, at least in my humble opinion, is arguing over the placement of the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic.

I say let 'em play whatever makes the most people happy and whatever they can manage with the least embarrassment. They've probably earned that right.

So true. It was 37 years ago they recorded their last great tracks.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 3, 2015 07:28

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

What he said. If the Glimmer Twins got off their old arses and actually worked together to try to record an album, who knows? Something GOOD might actually result. But that's never going to happen...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 3, 2015 07:39

I understand the notion of them playing the hits to wider audiences, plus it's easier for them for reasons like avoiding mistakes, etc. But there's also the side where fans realize they can still play great and interesting music, they proved it with (yes again) Mick Taylor. Those were very exciting moments. Thinking of deep cuts, Lady Jane sounded amazing in the O2, though I noticed a little bit of deadness from the audience. But The Stones nailed it as far as I can tell.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:30

i dont mind if we discuss the stones music and what they should use from the catalogue or not

but pul-eeeze do not use the arguement that paul mccartney,U2,bruce springsteen or ac/dc play "deeper cuts" from their careers.

i've seen mccartney,U2 and ac/dc many times and none of them are even near being in the same league as the stones as a live act.springsteen,id be out the door as soon as he started with one of those stories he tells-"well i was drivin with my daddy in the car and"..." adios amigo.

if you take the entire catalogue of all of them combined there isnt one song as good as midnight rambler or jumpin jack flash.

easier not to rely on those kind of songs...when you dont HAVE those kind of songs.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 4, 2015 04:18

Not sure if it's been said already (I didn't bother to read the whole thread) but it would be great to have one of the current tour performances devoted to Sticky Fingers, and have it filmed (maybe by Martin Scorcese?).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2015 04:38

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

???? Steel Wheels was only 26 years ago.

Date: June 4, 2015 07:57

24FPS
Turner68
LongBeachArena72

???? Steel Wheels was only 26 years ago.

I'm going back to some girls.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 4, 2015 11:40

lem motlow
i dont mind if we discuss the stones music and what they should use from the catalogue or not

but pul-eeeze do not use the arguement that paul mccartney,U2,bruce springsteen or ac/dc play "deeper cuts" from their careers.

i've seen mccartney,U2 and ac/dc many times and none of them are even near being in the same league as the stones as a live act.springsteen,id be out the door as soon as he started with one of those stories he tells-"well i was drivin with my daddy in the car and"..." adios amigo.

if you take the entire catalogue of all of them combined there isnt one song as good as midnight rambler or jumpin jack flash.

easier not to rely on those kind of songs...when you dont HAVE those kind of songs.

AC/DC on the Black Ice tour were awesome. Still got it. Unlike our lot.

Date: June 4, 2015 11:43

RawIguanaCologne: Check your PM on Facebook!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 18:42

Last GREAT Stones? Yeah, I can see that, SOME GIRLS. As far as an actual album. Arguably Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend is the true end of the GREAT Stones. UNDERCOVER is the last truly creative album by the Stones.

After that it's all been a wash.

But they aren't going to do STICKY FINGERS in stadiums because Mick doesn't want to nor does he think they could or should.

That's it. The rest is warhorses and the odd oddball track like Doom And Gloom.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home