Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:00

Nikkei

[twitter.com]

At first I wondered why the guys in this pic had their arms arranged in a bad version fifth position (ballet). Now I think they were spelling out O-H-I-O with their arms during Sloopy (a la "YMCA" ). Must have been fun!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:04

Does this mean René is going to have to produce a Track Talk for Hang On Sloopy now?

Sounds like it was appreciated, anyway.

No, I can't hear the Skydog thing either. It probably comes from Mick having a non-rhotic accent (means you don't sound your Rs as strrrongly as a Scotsman or an American). Other non-rhotics like me are used to allowing for it, so we don't hear the skydog. I do a lot of crosswords, and this causes problems in cryptic clues where the answer is supposed to sound like something else, and all the Scots and all the Londoners have endless oh-yes-it-does / oh-no-it-doesn't arguments about it on the comment threads.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:12

Hang On Sloopy would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they'd had Mick Taylor there with them.

Loved the crowd's reaction, btw. smoking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:20

kowalski

[Setlist picture]

[www.facebook.com]

Better version of this pic:

[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: May 31, 2015 12:21

video: [www.youtube.com]

Sympathy For The Devil (5,37)

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:22

Plink
^^^
I'm really, really, really hoping that's not a black/white satan - I mean satin - jacket on the sofa. Keith's wardrobe has been very cool so far - no need to mess w/ the streak cool smiley

thumbs up

Another Sympathy.... (2,16)

RoughJusticeOnYa
Hang On Sloopy would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they'd had Mick Taylor there with them...

^^^^ grinning smiley thumbs up

Date: May 31, 2015 12:23

[www.youtube.com]

Another Sympathy.... (2,16)

Date: May 31, 2015 12:25

[www.youtube.com]

Paint it Black (4,53)

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:38

Horrid setlist!!!!!

Horrible song selection and only 19 songs without CYHMK! Can't believe it is only the second show of the tour and they are regressing fast!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:40

tauk

Oh and speaking of mis-heard Lyrics...until these postings tonight I always thought that song was "Hang On SNOOPY"smiling smiley

I thought this too until now - probably I've watched too much 'Peanuts' .... winking smiley

But it's really 'Hang On Sloopy': [en.wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:43

A typical setlist for a stadium show for 60,000.

For many of these people , it will be the first time they have seen The Rolling Stones live, and I bet they went away buzzing.

They probably would have known 80-90 % of the songs, so gotta expect that sort of setlist for stadiums. smileys with beer

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 12:47

Kerry
Good quality video for Paint It Black. Only full song on YT at the moment.

Thanks and it is in 4K (2160p)
How can it be dowloaded in that quality ?

All the Best!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:04

taz22
Horrid setlist!!!!!

Horrible song selection and only 19 songs without CYHMK!

I'm currently listening to Ironchef's (very good) tape of the show and the playing is good so I guess all other considerations are pointless...
And the absence of MT on Rambler is barely noticeable = it's not much better or worse than the versions played in 2014.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 14:36 by dcba.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:19

Nice video of fans at Columbus.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:21

crawdaddy

For many of these people , it will be the first time they have seen The Rolling Stones live, and I bet they went away buzzing.

I believe the opposite is true. No doubt there were people in the audience who had never seen them before but, at this stage, there are more repeat customers. This is the stale argument the leader introduced during the ABB tour when the sets started to get stagnant.

I don't disagrre that the crowd was buzzing and they should have been: it's the a Rolling Stones.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:23

taz22
Horrid setlist!!!!!

Horrible song selection and only 19 songs without CYHMK! Can't believe it is only the second show of the tour and they are regressing fast!

Were you there, present at the Ohio stadium during the show last night?
You do realize that The Rolling Stones play for those inside the stadium,
not fans sitting behind computer screens somewhere else?
As long as those inside the stadium, the crowd present at the actual show,
are satisfied, that is all that matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 13:24 by The Worst..

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:25

is "hang on sloppy" a warhorse yet?

Date: May 31, 2015 13:36

Turner68

Hang On Sloppy is a tune about the Edith Grove days - Hang on Sloopy is the tired old Stones warhorse everyone has heard a zillion times

edited 3x for typos...time to hang it up!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 13:38 by Plink.

Date: May 31, 2015 13:38

Plink
Turner68

Hang On Sloppy is the a tune about the Edith Grove days - Hang on Sloopy is the tired old Stones warhorse everyone has heard a zillion times

made me laugh :-)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:49

The Worst.
taz22
Horrid setlist!!!!!

Were you there, present at the Ohio stadium during the show last night?
You do realize that The Rolling Stones play for those inside the stadium,
not fans sitting behind computer screens somewhere else?

Absolutely correct!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:55

Right and has anyone here actually seen or heard of anyone leaving a Stones show disappointed? With the show they put on to this day and the "history" they carry along I can't see how that's possible honestly. I for one could listen for the last 9 tunes played twice and would still be delighted, who wouldn't ?

Having said that I was pretty nonplussed this morning when I saw the setlist on setlist.fm, which obviously wasn't the case when I woke up to the LA/3 setlist in 2013.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 14:03 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:56

The Worst.

That makes perfect sense to me. The average fan would probably be more than satisfied with that setlist. With that being said, we who are obsessed with the band will most certainly never be happy with pretty much whatever setlist our boys would play. The fact is that The Rolling Stones wants to entertain the masses so expect more of the same setlists during this tour.

Those who aren't happy with the song selection should have tried to catch them at the tour start in LA/San Diego. They usually play rare songs and longer setlists at tour openings and the fact that there was rumours about club gigs would have been enough reason to spend extra time in the area for the possibility of getting access to those smaller venues. Just my two cents.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:16

gotdablouse
Right and has anyone here actually seen or heard of anyone leaving a Stones show disappointed? With the show they put on to this day and the "history" they carry along I can't see how that's possible honestly. I for one could listen for the last 9 tunes played twice and would still be delighted, who wouldn't ?

Having said that I was pretty nonplussed this morning when I saw the setlist on setlist.fm, which obviously wasn't the case when I woke up to the LA/3 setlist in 2013.

I remember talking to a guy in the parking lot in DC after the Bridges to Babylon show who said "it was okay" but his tone betrayed his disappointment .

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:17

I think we need to be a little more generous when it comes to the set lists...the Stones can't win really. If they played all the lesser known songs that us die hard fans want to hear live, then those turning up for the first time would be bitterly disappointed that they had missed out on Start Me Up or similar war horses.

We've all seen them dozens of times and heard the war horses dozens of times and so natuarlly want some variation...they have tried to do this to be fair, but at the end of the day they have to play to the masses and it's a financial thing as much as a matter of taste. They have to please those who are seeing them for the first time and may not even be big fans of the Stones. I've been to stones gigs with people who were just wanting to hear Brown Sugar and JJF, if they hadn't have got that they would have gone home dismayed.

Main thing is they are playing and playing well, if they throw the odd lesser heard song - brilliant, if they don't, so be it. We are the minority.

Date: May 31, 2015 14:19

JTHanis
gotdablouse

I remember talking to a guy in the parking lot in DC after the Bridges to Babylon show who said "it was okay" but his tone betrayed his disappointment .

i slept out on the sidewalk in line for tickets in 1989... a bum stopped by around 4am and asked up what we were doing. when he found out, he said "ah, i saw them in 1972 and they were already over the hill"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 14:20 by Turner68.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:32

ya shoulda slept in a valley ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:36

That must have...bummed you ? ;-)

Yeah, a good "compromise" is to throw in a rare song here and there I guess...or better bring out Taylor like they did at the O2, even the most jaded fans were olding their breath when he came out of the blue...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:38

RoughJusticeOnYa
Hang On Sloopy would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they'd had Mick Taylor there with them.

Loved the crowd's reaction, btw. smoking smiley

Outstanding!!!

New thread: Boycott the Stones because MT did not play on Hang on Sloopy!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home