Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone have experience going alone? Pittsburgh
Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:23

Hi everyone. Going lucky dipping tomorrow and have nice seats with a big party in Buffalo. With the VIP drop today and no willing partners in crime at $400, I couldn't control myself and bought a single in Pittsburgh in row 3 in front of Keith. 3.5 hour drive from Buffalo and as far as I know, I'm only going to live once.

I'm not too worried about finding some fun Stones fans as that's all that will be there and the pre-show IORR party will establish itself...but does anyone have any tips or experience or stories about going to a Stones show alone?

Re: Anyone have experience going alone? Pittsburgh
Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:33

I have never been to a concert by myself before, but I think it'd be kind of nice once in awhile. You won't have to worry about if everyone else is having a good time in your group, where does everybody want to eat/meet up/etc. I'd definitely see more shows if I did go by myself. It'll just be you and the music... sounds kind of nice. Plus 3rd row in front of Keith? Hell yeah! Like you said, you only live once... enjoy yourself!!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:43

I've gone solo to nearly half the Stones shows I've ever been to in the last 25 years (21 in total). Most of them in Europe too (I'm from the UK). Never ever been a problem. I camp out early to get up front in GA and I met the same die-hardship over and over. It's even fine St seated shows. I say go for it !

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:03

I actually went solo to the Washington DC show on the 50 and counting tour. It was certainly a unique experience. In the past I'd always gone with gilfriends /wife.
I'd been wanting to go ever sice the tour was announced but the ticket prices were frankly ridiculous. I'd seen the Stones 4 times before but always outdoors.
Four days prior to the show I scored a ticket for the side about 10 rows off the floor, which had been selling for $600 on Ticketmaster - they dropped the price to $250 and I grabbed it. I'd tried to talk several friends into going with me but even at $250 none of them would go for it.
When I got to the arena I grabbed an event shirt and found what was a pretty good seat. I got talking to my seat neighbour who was an older lady who said that seeing the Stones was on her bucket list - she'd bought her ticket when they'd originally gone on sale - and paid the full $600. I let slip what my ticket had cost and she got mad, so mad that during JJF (I think it was) she started punching me !! I just laughed it off - I wasn't going to let anything spoil what was such a great show - Mick Taylor and all.
Meanwhile to my right 2 dudes,dressed in resort casual, arrived late and left before the encores - obviously expense account business types who just wanted to be at the night's hippest event in DC.
Don't worry about going to the show on your own, you'll be surrounded by fellow fans of the greatest band in the world. But watch out for the right cross!
I'll be at the Raleigh show with my 2 kids (10 and 12)

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:03

Nothing to worry about IMO. You can be sure you'll make friends!

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:08

I was alone at the first O2 show in London 2012. Our second child was then 3 months old. My wife and I flew in to London from Norway with our newborn. I had bought my expensive ticket with the same excuse as you, I only live once..... My wife wanted to go to London for shopping and knows how much I love the stones so this was a win - win situation for us... At the show I sat right beside the stage, keith side. But almost as good as the show it self was the pre party with lots of IORRian's. I met people from all over europe and some I still have contact with. At the show I had the nicest people beside me, age stretching from early teens to ooold..... winking smileythis was by far the best show I ever attended. First of all because of the stones of course, but also because I met so many other stones fans....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:09

I often go to shows alone. Friends can't always get it together, so I go. And I often go with friends and we all sit in different places. It'll be a blast! Its the experience and you road trip, party, and meet the folks around you... you'll love it. Rock on!

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:11

I wouldn't worry, fan.

I like doing things solo dolo sometimes.
You meet interesting people, don't have to care about anyone else (i.e.; do what you want).

There is also more of a sense of adventure and being able to walk around unnoticed.

I would just do it, you're going for the music anyway and the big party.

It's tough to talk at shows and so far this tour has been very loud (which I like) spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beerthumbs up.

Posted by: KeithFnRichards ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:15

I don't know of anyone who's gone to Pittsburgh by themselves on purpose who weren't getting paid to do so.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:18

KeithFnRichards
I don't know of anyone who's gone to Pittsburgh by themselves on purpose who weren't getting paid to do so.
what? confused smiley

Date: May 30, 2015 03:26

Nikkei
KeithFnRichards
what? confused smiley

Just a joke... with a hint of truth.

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:28

KeithFnRichards

haha Fn, I follow your facebook. love it. and for that matter, love all the responses. thank you, i'm sure I made the right decision, gonna be a gas, gas gas! Hope your kids have a blast, ElGeordie!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:30

gibsonman
I was alone at the first O2 show in London 2012. Our second child was then 3 months old. My wife and I flew in to London from Norway with our newborn. I had bought my expensive ticket with the same excuse as you, I only live once..... My wife wanted to go to London for shopping and knows how much I love the stones so this was a win - win situation for us... At the show I sat right beside the stage, keith side. But almost as good as the show it self was the pre party with lots of IORRian's. I met people from all over europe and some I still have contact with. At the show I had the nicest people beside me, age stretching from early teens to ooold..... winking smileythis was by far the best show I ever attended. First of all because of the stones of course, but also because I met so many other stones fans....

Good story Gibsonman! I too went to that gig solo (and ticketless) and got a seat from the Seatwave office, up in level 4, next to a group of 3 friendly Norwegians. I went to Oslo solo and it was by far the best partying I've ever done at my 21 Stones gigs. I met many IORRians, including Bjornulf himself. I kept running into the same people at my 2 other 14OF shows (Paris & Stockholm). I did consider the US tour but hopefully they'll come to London next Summer. I did both Hyde Park shows.

Date: May 30, 2015 03:32

jasona93
KeithFnRichards

haha Fn, I follow your facebook. love it. and for that matter, love all the responses. thank you, i'm sure I made the right decision, gonna be a gas, gas gas! Hope your kids have a blast, ElGeordie!

Thank you Jasona! Have a great time. I hear they like beer there! Be safe.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:38

I am an older woman. I went to Philadelphia in 2013 alone and had an absolute blast. Met tons of joyous Stones people. I'm also going to Pittsburgh and Raleigh on my own. Of course it's great to enjoy the experience with friends, etc. but if that's not possible, absolutely go for it!!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:41

I went to the second Newark show by myself, first time ever. It was a different experience and I have to admit it felt a little strange walking into the venue alone. But once the band started, I forgot about it. Everyone around me was in a great mood, friendly, and enjoying the music as much as I did. I met some nice people at the hotel and liked being on my own schedule. I certainly felt more nervous walking the streets alone, especially at night. Walk fast and look like you know where you're going, even if you don't. smiling smiley

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:59

grzegorz67
gibsonman

Good story Gibsonman! I too went to that gig solo (and ticketless) and got a seat from the Seatwave office, up in level 4, next to a group of 3 friendly Norwegians. I went to Oslo solo and it was by far the best partying I've ever done at my 21 Stones gigs. I met many IORRians, including Bjornulf himself. I kept running into the same people at my 2 other 14OF shows (Paris & Stockholm). I did consider the US tour but hopefully they'll come to London next Summer. I did both Hyde Park shows.

Didn't we meet just before the gig in Oslo? Together with Dandelionpm? My wife and I was at the first Hyde park gig. Met a lot of the same people there as before the O2 gig. Thats fun, when you start to meet the same people, with the same interest as you, in different locations. Met so many fans at the Oslo rehearsals and at the show that I will never forget. Fun times.... cool smiley

I have concidered the US tour, but the flightcost it self does make me stay at home. But I'm all in for europe next year...

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 30, 2015 05:25

KeithFnRichards

Brilliant!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 30, 2015 06:36

I saw them in Fort Collins 1969, age 18, and Dallas 1975, age 24 alone.

It's better with someone, but if not, that's OK too.

1969 I was a new kid at college and didn't yet know anyone to speak of.

1975 I was on a road trip, and my car was totalled in Dallas, and I got stuck

there for a few weeks, and was not from the area and I knew no one.

But I took advantage of The Stones Show anyway.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 07:00

jasona93
Hi everyone. Going lucky dipping tomorrow and have nice seats with a big party in Buffalo. With the VIP drop today and no willing partners in crime at $400, I couldn't control myself and bought a single in Pittsburgh in row 3 in front of Keith. 3.5 hour drive from Buffalo and as far as I know, I'm only going to live once.

I'm not too worried about finding some fun Stones fans as that's all that will be there and the pre-show IORR party will establish itself...but does anyone have any tips or experience or stories about going to a Stones show alone?

Like you, I couldn't resist, either. I'll be right behind you in row 4 (unless I can upgrade to those row 2 seats) Keith's side, with my family all up in the nose bleeds!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 30, 2015 07:00

I've been to many shows alone. Talk to the people around you. Ask them how many times they've seen the Stones, etc. Impress them with your knowledge. It can be fun. Often I've gotten a great seat at the last minute when only singles are available. You can focus on the show and not on entertaining whoever you came with.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 30, 2015 07:24

Done it a ton of times. You'll be grand

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 30, 2015 08:36

i go to a lot alone...even with stones shows when you get to know each other, you end up sitting in many different places. i'm going alone to most of the 9 shows i'm seeing this tour.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 30, 2015 08:52

I've done about 15 shows solo. Except for the wife, I have no local friends at all any more willing to go out of town for a Stones concert, and even she has only done 3 out-of-towners with me.

Always had a blast! You'll be fine. Haven't been to Pittsburgh since Licks - no idea what it's like now, but it was a great fun place back then. At least my experiences were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 08:53 by josepi.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 09:16

I've never gone alone but have sat next to people who have—at post-2000 shows—and they've been a little self-conscious and all I've thought—because we were in expensive seats—is, "At these prices, going alone makes sense."

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 30, 2015 09:40

I've gone alone to about half the shows I've ever been to, including Stones shows, and while obviously it's more fun with friends, I've nearly always ended up making new friends. Never had any kind of problem because of being alone, and I've done this from age 13 onward. I would never ever let it deter you from going to a show!

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 30, 2015 12:02

Nowadays, I almost always go alone. I have taken almost every one I know and many people that I didn't. Just stay with the crowd. Go to the pre and post parties and you will have the time of your life.

The doctor says you'll be okay if you only stay away from femme fatals and dirty bitches...

Watch out for the body poppers too.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 30, 2015 12:30

Out of 34 Stones show I attended, 33 shows have been on me own. MUCh better. No moaning girlfriends or fiancees destroying the magic.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: May 30, 2015 12:42

I did most od my Stones shows alone, Sheffield, Brno, London, Vienna. Like MadMax has just written. You're on your own, so you're doing what you want. I always enjoy it. I can't imagine my girlfriend walking around London with me for 2 days just to see some Stones places. So enjoy free time and a show.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:38

MadMax
Out of 34 Stones show I attended, 33 shows have been on me own. MUCh better. No moaning girlfriends or fiancees destroying the magic.

Mad Max makes a very good point, on the Bigger Bang tour I scored tickets for one of the on stage boxes on Keith's side. I took my (now Ex) wife, she moaned how she didn't get to see the fireworks!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home