Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Live (Guitar) Sound in 2015
Date: May 31, 2015 18:24

For the last part of the 89 tour, right?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:03

StonedRambler
Listen to the Recording of the Columbus concert: [www.iorr.org]

The guitars are louder than anything else.

And Keef dominates the mix (the taper was on Ron's side btw).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:36

DandelionPowderman
For the last part of the 89 tour, right?

I thought for the entire tour. Could be mistaken though. He did try out several amps for a lead sound though. The old Boogie Coloseum MKIIB, a Marshall 50 watt plexi, and a Soldano SLO-100.

Mathijs

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:40

dcba
StonedRambler
Listen to the Recording of the Columbus concert: [www.iorr.org]

The guitars are louder than anything else.

And Keef dominates the mix (the taper was on Ron's side btw).

i've noticed that my enjoyment of a show is usually directly related to how loud keith's guitar is. the louder, the better.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:07

I think guitar sound was a bit "thin" in 1989/90. Maybe it had to do with the mix, I don't know. The guitars sounded more "fat" and "raw" since 1994 in my ears.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:30

laertisflash
I think guitar sound was a bit "thin" in 1989/90. Maybe it had to do with the mix, I don't know. The guitars sounded more "fat" and "raw" since 1994 in my ears.

it sounded thin to me in person, but it's always possible that it was where i was standing or the sound that day or - dare i say it - my memory fails.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:10

[youtu.be]

look at this from 1;00 onwards..it's from keith monitor surely..never heard a keith richards so raw!

Date: June 1, 2015 01:12

rod
[youtu.be]

look at this from 1;00 onwards..it's from keith monitor surely..never heard a keith richards so raw!

man that sounds great.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 1, 2015 04:13

The monstrous, trebly sound is wonderful in JJF, HTW, and the like, but I would like to hear a rounder sound on some songs, similar to the 1969 Ampeg stacks. A switch out of the Les Paul Jr and Teles on a few songs would mix it up as well. To my mind, the Ya-Yas guitar tone was incredible. I love the sound now and the boys are playing GREAT, but again, I would mix it up a bit. I own a Les Paul Jr and it is a great axe, but kind of bright for a song like Gimme Shelter and it's intro. Keith sounded great as well years ago when he played that 3 pickup, black Les Paul, 5 strings, open tuning.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 1, 2015 05:19

Great thread. Fun to see folks mentioning Churchill 06. Rocker1 is spot on. I have fussed about this for almost two decades.

2002 was by far the most inconsistent tour of them all. Memphis 2002 had one of the worst PA mixes I have ever heard. All drums and vocals. Guitars were BURIED.

Nashville 2002, the main stage had a really weak mix. Soft guitars, Ronnie almost inaudible. When they got the bstage suddenly the mix changed completely and turned into a great loud guitar mix. The band exploded on the bstage! Even though I was nowhere near that little square, it marks my favorite live Stones moment of all time. IORR>LittleRedRooster>BrownSugar. The best version I have ever experienced of those three songs, ever. I am still shocked it didn't get released.

2013 to current marks the first time when the sound was actually 'decent' at a Stones show. Unfortunately Dave Natale has a tendency to mix Charlie's snare like a ringy high tom!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:52

Nikkei
Sorry I meant to say chords. Keef chords slicing your head off.
See this performance from the show it referred to:

So yeah, you should definitely go!

Yeah, that was a thunderous opening!
The Stones need loud guitar sound.
Nice video. Bringing back some memories. I even see the back of my head for a second lol . .

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 1, 2015 16:01

You were also in Duseldoof? Performance and soundwise it was the best show I attended on this tour, Stockholm being a very close second.
It was also a hell of a drum sound. My little sisters jaw dropped when Charlie hit it extra hard in the middle part. She was a bit taken aback at first grinning smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:08

Wow, that was a killer JJF in Germany!

The sound and mix were outstanding.

JJF live is better than ever, a friggin' nuclear explosion, no other song comes close live for energy.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 1, 2015 23:37

Nikkei
You were also in Duseldoof? Performance and soundwise it was the best show I attended on this tour, Stockholm being a very close second.
It was also a hell of a drum sound. My little sisters jaw dropped when Charlie hit it extra hard in the middle part. She was a bit taken aback at first grinning smiley

So: Nikkei, CousinC = 2
Here's #3: I was there, too, FOS, Keith side, quite near there, too.

Here's 'my' MR from Düsseldorf:

Also saw them in Berlin and Werchter and you know what? Those guitars were mighty and ruled the whole gig! At any of those shows for the whole f*#+~g tour! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 23:45 by waterrats.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home