Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brian Jones?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:51

There was certainly a bit more Brian discussion when HisMajesty was around. Wonder what happened to him? Did he migrate over to RocksOff or something?

peace

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:52

I met a great person in Cheltenham at the time.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 21, 2015 20:17

24FPS
Brian is in the foundation cement of the band. He was the visual one, the dandy, which fell to Mick after Brian's death. He was also the dark one, the one getting deeply into drugs, which fell to Keith after Brian's death. His musical knowledge of R&B and the blues gave them early credibility. Brian's musical abilities stretched them out across the pop singles landscape of the 1960s and allowed them to exit the cubbyhole of just another British Invasion band. His rebel attitude, his prowling sexuality, were all there before anyone ascribed them to Keith and Mick. Any real fan knows what Brian contributed, and know his downfall too. He is literally the fuse that lit the Rolling Stones.

Really sums it up in many ways - well written and insightful.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 20:17

I love brian jones discussions, i think he is underrated often and sometimes see the comparisens between him and taylor as meaningless. I think the band during the jones era were far more versatile and had more growth about them than in any other era, im not knocking taylor or wood btw, they were an integral part of the stones history too but i do find it sad when there is no mention of jones within the stones themselves, it would be nice occasionally if he got a mention during a concert. Jones provided so much in the early to mid 60,s period that was so important to the stones image, and thier output both from the amount of work they released and concerts they played was at a much higher rate than anything since.

without brian there would be no rolling stones and it was obvious when he went the stones lost something live which they could really only get back with backing musicians in later years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2015 21:38

buttons67
I love brian jones discussions, i think he is underrated often and sometimes see the comparisens between him and taylor as meaningless. I think the band during the jones era were far more versatile and had more growth about them than in any other era, im not knocking taylor or wood btw, they were an integral part of the stones history too but i do find it sad when there is no mention of jones within the stones themselves, it would be nice occasionally if he got a mention during a concert. Jones provided so much in the early to mid 60,s period that was so important to the stones image, and thier output both from the amount of work they released and concerts they played was at a much higher rate than anything since.

without brian there would be no rolling stones and it was obvious when he went the stones lost something live which they could really only get back with backing musicians in later years.

One thing they lost was sensitivity in their music. The bludgeoning rock songs most people associate with the Stones came later. Brian's ethereal talent was unique and added an emotional depth to their music. Each guitarist, Jones, Taylor, and Wood are part of very different eras to the band's work, as different as 'Bubber' Miley' to the 1920s Duke Ellington, as Paul Gonsalves is
to the 1950s Duke Ellington.

Brian's sensitive strain in the Stones' music was later expressed in Bill Wyman's bass playing. (Both Brian and Bill being water signs, Keith and Mick fire.) Old time fans yearn for this strain in today's version of the Stones, but it is absent, and only comes out in rare playings of songs like Moonlight Mile, or As Tears Go By.

Brian was a canary in a coal mine, the first of the rock and roll version of the 27 Club. He dove head first into the drug scene of the 60s, with no one at first aware of the danger. Brian was always ahead of his time, even in death. Unfortunately the pioneers are often overlooked. And yes, he did enough damage to his own reputation. But who else except Brian could have picked up a simple recorder/flute and made Ruby Tuesday the haunting, harrowing song that it is?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 21:50

24FPS
buttons67

One thing they lost was sensitivity in their music. The bludgeoning rock songs most people associate with the Stones came later. Brian's ethereal talent was unique and added an emotional depth to their music. Each guitarist, Jones, Taylor, and Wood are part of very different eras to the band's work, as different as 'Bubber' Miley' to the 1920s Duke Ellington, as Paul Gonsalves is

Brian's sensitive strain in the Stones' music was later expressed in Bill Wyman's bass playing. (Both Brian and Bill being water signs, Keith and Mick fire.) Old time fans yearn for this strain in today's version of the Stones, but it is absent, and only comes out in rare playings of songs like Moonlight Mile, or As Tears Go By.

Brian was a canary in a coal mine, the first of the rock and roll version of the 27 Club. He dove head first into the drug scene of the 60s, with no one at first aware of the danger. Brian was always ahead of his time, even in death. Unfortunately the pioneers are often overlooked. And yes, he did enough damage to his own reputation. But who else except Brian could have picked up a simple recorder/flute and made Ruby Tuesday the haunting, harrowing song that it is?

you're so right about his work on "ruby tuesday". i wonder if brian doesn't get the credit he deserves because rock became so guitar-centric and his contributions were so much broader than that.

for people who are saying he was a dick it sounds like he was but who knows we didn't know him and being nice was never a qualification for being a musician.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 21, 2015 21:58

<<Brian was a dick mostly.>>

But he was a Stone firstly.

It's easy to cast judgment on those we don't know when we hold the general details of their personal lives under a microscope.

Besides, I doubt we would like very few of our heroes on a personal level if we got to know them. Best to just appreciate the output of their talent and mind our own business.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2015 23:49

Turner68
24FPS
buttons67

you're so right about his work on "ruby tuesday". i wonder if brian doesn't get the credit he deserves because rock became so guitar-centric and his contributions were so much broader than that.

for people who are saying he was a dick it sounds like he was but who knows we didn't know him and being nice was never a qualification for being a musician.

The Stones are still around, and so are we. Try to imagine in 50 years or so how they'll look back at the 60s. There will be a lot of re-assessment of the era, and maybe Brian will get his due then. People in the know will always understand Brian, if you've got the ears for it.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: May 21, 2015 23:54

Turner68
... brian doesn't get the credit he deserves because rock became so guitar-centric and his contributions were so much broader than that.

There it is.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2015 00:38

Rockman
Is Brian the one with the blond hair ?

and do the curtains match the carpet?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:09

not here reacle ... dirt floor with potato sacks coverin' the windows ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2015 16:00

Rockman
not here reacle ... dirt floor with potato sacks coverin' the windows ...

wow...you're lucky, you have windows. if we want natural light, we go outside.

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: May 23, 2015 19:02

Pray tell me, what is Ronnie Woods greatest accomplishment with the Stones? He has great stage presence, gets along with Keith and Mick, but what recording does he play on that he knocks it out of the park, his one grand slam home run?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:47

Turner68
As a newcomer to IORR I have to say I'm surprised at the near-hero worship of Mick Taylor, who in my mind was a great live solo player but never quite gelled with the band after the 69-70 tour, and the nearly complete absence of discussion of Brian Jones.

Brian - like Mick, Keith, Bill, and Charlie - was a true innovator, helped created rock-n-roll as we know it, and constantly pushed the Stones to innovate, not just in guitar solos but in marimba, sitar, etc., always exploring new sounds.

Even on the 2013 tour, they played more songs that were recorded while Brian was in the band than any of the other guitarists.

Does anyone else think Brian is underrated on this board?

Well, of course in regard to Taylor "gelling" after 1970, one only has to listen to the records Exile On Main Street, Goats Head Soup, and (to a lesser degree) IORR, as well as hear the live Brussels recording to prove you wrong.

As to Brian, he offered a completely different pallet of experimentation that was great during their pop period, but he was in no shape to play guitar anymore by the time they wanted to return to a blues-based rock format, or haven't you seen "Rock & Roll Circus"?

It's rather pointless to say that because Brian was a great innovator on other instruments it somehow lessens Taylor's contributions. Different eras, different roles, different results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 22:48 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:50

JamesMadison
Pray tell me, what is Ronnie Woods greatest accomplishment with the Stones? He has great stage presence, gets along with Keith and Mick, but what recording does he play on that he knocks it out of the park, his one grand slam home run?

Hey Negrita?

Date: May 23, 2015 22:53

Nikkei
JamesMadison

Hey Negrita?

That, and perhaps Beast of Burden and Whip from Some Girls. But even those were more nice team efforts (I won't use the dreaded "W" word) than singular achievements. I really think he's been "Keith-lite" for the most part.

Date: May 23, 2015 23:10

I will be honest and say I have never listened to Hey Negrita. Beast of Burden is a great tune, but it doesn't have a standout guitar solo.

I loved Hand of Fate but I found out later that wasn't a Ronnie Wood solo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 23:12 by JamesMadison.

Date: May 23, 2015 23:13

Here you go then. It's on me.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 23, 2015 23:13

Brian Jones - the Rodney Dangerfield of the Rolling Stones. And for you youngins too young to know, check out Rodney Dangerfield on the u toob to understand what I am saying. Love the Brian era of the Stones. They were much more eclectic in what they put on their albums, the sounds we heard. Whether this was due to Brian or not, I don't know. But at a certain point, Stones albums became "Okay, this is what a Stones album is supposed to sound like, so let's put out songs (album after album) that sound alike." Maybe I am wrong, but there was a dynamic to the Stones sound with Brian that got lost along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 23:55 by dmay.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:11

JamesMadison

Undercover Of The Night
When The Whip Comes Down (Sucking In The 70s)
Summer Romance
Lies
Far Away Eyes
Before They Make Me Run
Dance
Neighbours
The Worst
Dirty Work
Too Tough
Crackin' Up (LYL)
Little Red Rooster (LYL)
Around And Around (LYL Second solo)
Dance Little Sister (El Mocambo)
Worried About You (El Mocambo)

Date: May 24, 2015 00:17

Aren't those just Rolling Stones' hits? Give me his one time all time great effort and I will give it a listen.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:21

Thank you DP. How can it be said that any one who has worked with and for the Stones that is not supremely talented? Just listen to what you like. There is more than enough material from each era for any Stones fan to absorb.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:23

Turner68 has a point: it seems to be difficult for us to stay on topic discussing Brian.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:25

JamesMadison
Aren't those just Rolling Stones' hits? Give me his one time all time great effort and I will give it a listen.

Hits?

Try Whip from Sucking In The 70s first. Then Little Red Rooster from LYL. The latter is perhaps the best slide work on any Stones record.

Try Summer Romance for a nice raunchy studio solo.

Only Undercover is close to a hit on the list I posted. Do you by any chance have the El Mocambo bootleg?

Date: May 24, 2015 00:55

DandelionPowderman
JamesMadison

Hits?

Try Whip from Sucking In The 70s first. Then Little Red Rooster from LYL. The latter is perhaps the best slide work on any Stones record.

Try Summer Romance for a nice raunchy studio solo.

Only Undercover is close to a hit on the list I posted. Do you by any chance have the El Mocambo bootleg?

Yes, I should not have left out Side 3 LYL. Great work. Summer Romance is pretty good too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:57

how did this thread become about Ron Wood?

for a great guitar solo by Brian Jones, check out "I Wanna Be Your Man"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 00:57 by Turner68.

Date: May 24, 2015 01:10

Turner68

+1

And never mind the solos, his guitar work on Mona and King Bee is lovely!

Date: May 24, 2015 01:37

Yes, early days when it was all about the blues Brian did some nice guitar work.

Date: May 24, 2015 01:53

Turner68

I never cared for that solo or that version of that song. Neither did the public give it much love.

How about "I Can't be Satisfied" , love Brian's touch on that one, tasteful and restrained.
Strange that the Stones never released this song on their American album.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 02:22 by JamesMadison.

Date: May 24, 2015 02:04

Nikkei
Here you go then. It's on me.

It's not so much I don't like Ronnie Wood's guitar work on this song but I don't like this Stones song itself. Not my cup of tea, as they say in England.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 02:05 by JamesMadison.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home