Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vinyl Questions
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 06:50

Hi. I've been thinking for a while now about trying a stones album on vinyl (I've probably talked about it here before, I don't remember), but I've heard sayings that the records wear out after using them a fair amount. Is this true? I mean, I don't want to buy a nice record and then have it wear out or warp or whatever. Thanks very much.

Re: Vinyl Questions
Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: May 14, 2015 07:04

You do have to be more careful with vinyl. I think the major concern is to avoid scratching them with the stylus causing skips, repeats, or clicks on subsequent listens. It takes quite a few plays to wear them out (in my experience Stones records may be more more prone to this phenomenon winking smiley).

I've really enjoyed listening to vinyl records. Beyond the warmth of the sound, I get more out of the listening experience overall since it takes a little more effort to put on a record than play an .mp3 for instance.

I started buying buying my own music at a time when vinyl was pretty much dead, tapes weren't far behind, and CDs were king (early '90s). My first couple of Stones LPs were VL and Stripped, and I think those are comparatively scarce today since that was just about the nadir of interest in vinyl records by the public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 07:05 by SharksWillCry.

Date: May 14, 2015 07:11

SharksWillCry
You do have to be more careful with vinyl. I think the major concern is to avoid scratching them with the stylus causing skips, repeats, or clicks on subsequent listens. It takes quite a few plays to wear them out (in my experience Stones records may be more more prone to this phenomenon winking smiley).

I've really enjoyed listening to vinyl records. Beyond the warmth of the sound, I get more out of the listening experience overall since it takes a little more effort to put on a record than play an .mp3 for instance.

I started buying buying my own music at a time when vinyl was pretty much dead, tapes weren't far behind, and CDs were king (early '90s). My first couple of Stones LPs were VL and Stripped, and I think those are comparatively scarce today since that was just about the nadir of interest in vinyl records by the public.

Thanks for all the great info and taking the time to answer! Vinyl does sound like a really cool way of listening to the Stones

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 07:12

stones2000
Hi. I've been thinking for a while now about trying a stones album on vinyl (I've probably talked about it here before, I don't remember), but I've heard sayings that the records wear out after using them a fair amount. Is this true? I mean, I don't want to buy a nice record and then have it wear out or warp or whatever. Thanks very much.

You can listen to a record 100s of times or more before it will "wear out". The main thing is not to scratch it.

Date: May 14, 2015 07:16

Bsebastian
stones2000

You can listen to a record 100s of times or more before it will "wear out". The main thing is not to scratch it.

Oh, is that how it works? Cool, good to know. Is it very simple to avoid scratching it?

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 07:25

stones2000
Bsebastian
stones2000

Oh, is that how it works? Cool, good to know. Is it very simple to avoid scratching it?

keep it in its sleeve when you're not playing it, and don't touch the surface, just touch the edges and the inner label.

Date: May 14, 2015 07:57

Bsebastian
stones2000
Bsebastian
stones2000

keep it in its sleeve when you're not playing it, and don't touch the surface, just touch the edges and the inner label.

Ah, thank you

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:26

Get some good audiophile sleeves to put them in. I have no idea why so many record companies still use paper or cardboard sleeves. They leave all sorts of paper particles on the surface.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 14, 2015 08:34

Go for it Stones2000! Not only is the sound generally better and have more dynamic range, there seems to be an emotional response people get from playing vinyl that is missing from digital reproductions. Whether or not the record will wear should be the least of your considerations.

Besides, there are things you can do with a fold open vinyl record cover you can't accomplish with a jewel case or digipak. winking smiley

peace

Date: May 14, 2015 09:06

Naturalust
Go for it Stones2000! Not only is the sound generally better and have more dynamic range, there seems to be an emotional response people get from playing vinyl that is missing from digital reproductions. Whether or not the record will wear should be the least of your considerations.

Besides, there are things you can do with a fold open vinyl record cover you can't accomplish with a jewel case or digipak. winking smiley

peace

Thanks! It would be pretty cool!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2015 09:10

Buy your records from a vinyl fair if you can, some great deals there on barely played used records. A great and inexpensive way to start/build your collection.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 14, 2015 11:09

Bsebastian
stones2000

Also, don't leave it anywhere too hot or it will warp. But yes, I wouldn't worry about wearing it out. And take pride in it if you do!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 15, 2015 01:03

Yup, store em vertically and in a cool dry place so they won't warp.

Date: May 15, 2015 08:15

Thank you everyone so much for all the awesome tips! Really appreciated!

confused smileysmiling smileyRe: Vinyl Questions
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:11

Some good tips above.

Another important tip....Don't try to clean records !

Most attempts to clean a vinyl record will leave a superficially cleaner looking disc but succeed mostly in just pushing the muck and debris down into the grooves, just where you don't want it.

[...and This applies just as much to most proprietry cleaning brushes & potions as it does to the damp dish cloth approach !]

The only item which is the correct size & shape to clean the record groove is the stylus.
Let the stylus clean out the grooves and use your effort to keep the stylus itself clean.

To this purpose, most stylus cleaning fluids & brushes aren't terribly effective at removing anything but loose dirt.
The temperatures & pressures involved at the stylus tip almost bake deep seated dirt and heated vinyl onto the stylus tip. The only way to clean this off is the abrade it off.

So how do we acheive that ?

Fine abbrasive paper is the answer.... Yes, really !

The ideal material is a very fine green abbrasive film available from 3m.
Failing that, the striker from a book or box of safety matches will work effectively.
[NOT the coarse sandpaper on the side of ordinary match boxes !]

Take a narrow strip of the abbrasive, just over an inch long.
Hold it near the end to avoid applying too much force and to prevent any damage to the delicate suspension system of the stylus cantilever.

Gently draw the abbrasive strip a few times across the bottom and sides of the stylus tip FROM BACK TO FRONT .

If you have a decent record deck and a stylus with a bit of age on it which hasn't ever been cleaned, you will hear the difference.

The stylus is a diamond. It's much harder than anything you're likely to be scrubbing it with, so you won't be sandpapering it away.
Most of the deterioration heard over time as a stylus ages is down to ageing of the suspension and contamination of the stylus with baked on crud...not to actual wear on the stylus tip.

For the feint hearted, there have also over the years been a few electronic vibrating pad stylus cleaners on the market. These work quite well...but I'm not sure how hard they might be to find these days.

Returning to the subject of cleaning the records..
There are a few professional record cleaning machines which work very well but they're very expensive. A few high end audio dealers have them and will clean records for a reasonable fee, returning them to you in a new clean inner sleave.

Inner sleaves themselves are another factor in the record care area.
We have all seen how removing a record from its sleave can generate static electricity, attracting airborne dust and dirt to the surface.
Antistatic inner sleaves, also available from a few dealers, are great for avoiding this, as is a well humidified room...also good for your health ;^)

A badly misguided practice I'd like to see the end of is that of second hand record dealers who are typically seen scrubbing away at records with lighter fuel soaked cloths.

This leaves a shiny better looking record...but invariably with increased surface noise and poorer sound quality..

Happy vinyl hunting and listening

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 13:41 by Spud.

Date: May 15, 2015 13:24

The only positive experience I've had with cleaning vinyl records is an old scratchy Status Quo album which soaked in beer and dirt. It looked like a lost case, but I tried to spin it anyway. It sounded like a machine gun, and the stylus kept skipping.

After I cleaned it, it still skipped, but the click and pop-sounds were gone. I wiped it gently for a couple of days with a soft cloth to get out the rest of what was left in the grooves.

And voila, the record was playable again!

Considering the amount of time and effort I went through, needless to say I won't be doing this again. I wipe the stylus with a soft brush now and again - that's it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:33

DandelionPowderman
The only positive experience I've had with cleaning vinyl records is an old scratchy Status Quo album which soaked in beer and dirt. It looked like a lost case, but I tried to spin it anyway. It sounded like a machine gun, and the stylus kept skipping.

After I cleaned it, it still skipped, but the click and pop-sounds were gone. I wiped it gently for a couple of days with a soft cloth to get out the rest of what was left in the grooves.

And voila, the record was playable again!

Considering the amount of time and effort I went through, needless to say I won't be doing this again. I wipe the stylus with a soft brush now and again - that's it.

I hear ya.

If it's so caked in crap that it won't even play...there's very little to lose ;^).

For spillages of beer or coffee , sicking a pencil through the centre hole and swilling the record through a bowl of warm water and very mild detergent won't do much harm. Allow it to dry naturally on a towel.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:17

No turntable nerds here? I think I used to use 1.5 grams as the stylus force and then of course you had to set the anti-skating to 1.5 grams also. That gives you a "floating like a butterfly" needle that, in my opinion, will not damage the vinyl.

As far as cleaning the needle goes, I used to just flip off the little bundle of dust when it accumulated. Common sense dictates that if you played a "dirty" record that you checked the needle afterwards.

I am not so sure about the "gunk cleaning" for the diamond stylus also. I had never heard of that before. I think there is an argument for "self cleaning" at that level. The high audio frequencies in the grooves probably shake most of the gunk off. You put your needle in danger every time you go to clean it. No disrespect, but it sounds like overkill to me.

What's freaking me out is how the text is written in the first few postings. It sounds like we are archaeologists talking about "lost technology" and it's freaking me out! lol

Date: May 15, 2015 14:20

MileHigh
No turntable nerds here? I think I used to use 1.5 grams as the stylus force and then of course you had to set the anti-skating to 1.5 grams also. That gives you a "floating like a butterfly" needle that, in my opinion, will not damage the vinyl.

As far as cleaning the needle goes, I used to just flip off the little bundle of dust when it accumulated. Common sense dictates that if you played a "dirty" record that you checked the needle afterwards.

I am not so sure about the "gunk cleaning" for the diamond stylus also. I had never heard of that before. I think there is an argument for "self cleaning" at that level. The high audio frequencies in the grooves probably shake most of the gunk off. You put your needle in danger every time you go to clean it. No disrespect, but it sounds like overkill to me.

What's freaking me out is how the text is written in the first few postings. It sounds like we are archaeologists talking about "lost technology" and it's freaking me out! lol

This depends on which player / brand you have.

My ideal anti-skate adjustments are 2,5 + 0,5 for my Radionette Gram 5000 (the same as Tandberg's TT5000).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 14:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 15, 2015 14:21

And I had a Dual 1229, and that was hot stuff:

[best-turntables.com]

Date: May 15, 2015 14:24

thumbs up

Date: May 15, 2015 14:28

DandelionPowderman
MileHigh

This depends on which player / brand you have.

My ideal anti-skate adjustments are 2,5 + 0,5 for my Radionette Gram 5000 (the same as Tandberg's TT5000).

Not sure about those numbers because more stylus force equals more anti-skating force so you set the anti-skating "force" (a representative scale) to match the stylus force. Unless you are an uber nerd and you disagreed with the scale? lol

Posted by: Chess4710 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 18:47

Keep a fresh stylus on as well. Change it after a couple hundred hours of play. A blunt stylus will wear on vinyl, and provides lower fidelity at the same time.

Date: June 4, 2015 07:59

Well I officially own two Stones albums on vinyl! I got Beggar's Banquet and Got Live if You Want It today. I'm really liking the vinyl sound as an alternative to digital

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:03

Buy the record on vinyl and CD and or whatever else. Listen to the vinyl record, then upload the CD record to whatever or download the iTunes record and... there you go.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:19

I've been buying vinyl since the late 70s and have never had a record 'wear out' on me.
I will tell you that there are some major variations in pressings on the albums; The original pressings are usually first class but be wary of some of the re-pressings, especially in the early 80s.
For whatever reason, I have accumulated several pressings of most of the Stones 'classic' albums and there is definitely a noticeable difference on some.
My orig UK BB sounds amazing, as does my Dutch mid 70s version, but a US version from the late 70s doesn't sound anywhere near as nice.
As someone posted above, record fairs can be great places to hunt for old vinyl; depending on where you are, they can be fairly regular. The Pasadena college monthly flea mart is fantastic for used vinyl.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 21:09

i had 20lp,s in vinyl bought from during 1989 and 1990 of the rolling stones.

think they still at my ex wifes up in our loft.

would like to eventually buy a modern music centre with turntable, cd deck and be able to covert vinyl sound to digital devices, and then go out and buy more stones vinyl including singles from the old days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home