Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

missing bobby keys
Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:01

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about how the Stones will lack Bobby Keys on this tour. In addition to it being sad, of course, any thoughts on how it will impact their sound? your enjoyment of the concert?

Re: missing bobby keys
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:04

I already said it will be hard to listen to " Brown Sugar" without crying. I'm sure that whoever they replace him with will be adequate but he won't be BOBBY!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:20

All I can say, do and think now is... I am so glad I saw him live
many many times... and I cheered like a mad man every time he
was announced and he seemed thrilled for the apprecitation... he
will be missed but never forgotten.

Like so many who I have lost in this life... too many, all I can do
is know I was good with them when they passed, a lesson I learned
very early in life. There is no telling when you will never see someone
again, so make sure you are good with them as you can be... or it can be bad :(

I would bet they will flash his picture on the big screen at the right
moments of the concerts and people who know, will know... but I doubt
Mick will do anything too vocal... but I bet there will be something.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:24

i hope so!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:09

Yes it's another goodbye to another good friend..

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 14, 2015 03:39

It will never be the same without bobby.....sweet virginia, live with me, and brown sugar should be retired.....obviously bs won't be.....perhaps bobbys image on the big screen when his part comes in

Date: May 14, 2015 04:09

mjmjr
It will never be the same without bobby.....sweet virginia, live with me, and brown sugar should be retired.....obviously bs won't be.....perhaps bobbys image on the big screen when his part comes in

At Bruce Springsteen's shows, Clarence Clemons' nephew took his place on the sax, and during 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out,' this is what they did during the sax solo.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 14, 2015 04:27

This is the second tour without Bobby. People think its the first it is not. Kent took over last year. Check out the you tube clips from last year.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 14, 2015 05:25

You have to have a smile on your face when somebody new takes over on the sax solo for Brown Sugar and celebrate life. Eventually sorrow has to evolve into fond memories of times past and a smile for both the past and the present and living in the moment.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 14, 2015 06:02

Yeah, I miss him too. Chatted with him briefly in London and he was so gracious and so TEXAN! Love him dearly.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 14, 2015 06:45

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
mjmjr

At Bruce Springsteen's shows, Clarence Clemons' nephew took his place on the sax, and during 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out,' this is what they did during the sax solo.

Very cool

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 14, 2015 09:44

Perhaps I'm a cold fish, but I find it difficult to miss someone whom I did not know on a personal level. Certainly, it's terribly sad for family, friends and acquaintances, and he will surely be missed on a musical level. I wonder who'll be the saxophonist on Brown Sugar? Perhaps Ronnie Wood can contribute the solo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 14, 2015 09:48

I wonder who'll be the saxophonist on Brown Sugar?

Karl Denson ...Unless things have changed

ROCKMAN

Re: missing Bobby Keys
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 14, 2015 11:11

Rockman

Indeed. You folks realize Bobby was replaced by Karl Denson on the 2014 Australian tour, right?
And that it's been settled for a while that he will carry on?

Love and light to Bobby, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 14, 2015 11:11

Rockman

Yep, see this thread: [www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 14, 2015 13:32

i heard the clip of Karl Denson doing Bobby Keys solo on brown sugar and i liked it but, i think in honor of the late great Bobby Keys what the stones should do is no horn on brown sugar .let Ronnie play the fill just like he did in 1975 tour of the Americas and shine a spotlight on a lone sax sitting on a stand in Bobby's customary spot on stage and show some clips on the big video screen of Bobby Keys . that would be the way i would honor the big man from Lubbock Texas!!!!!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2015 13:41

I got to hang with Bobby once. He was very personable & funny. He is missed hugely. His autobiography is an entertaining read. He had a good run.smoking smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 14, 2015 15:31

TheGreek
i heard the clip of Karl Denson doing Bobby Keys solo on brown sugar and i liked it but, i think in honor of the late great Bobby Keys what the stones should do is no horn on brown sugar .let Ronnie play the fill just like he did in 1975 tour of the Americas and shine a spotlight on a lone sax sitting on a stand in Bobby's customary spot on stage and show some clips on the big video screen of Bobby Keys . that would be the way i would honor the big man from Lubbock Texas!!!!!!

Love this idea. Anything that puts the emphasis back on the guitars is good in my book. This tour will have no Bobby Keys, and no Mick Taylor...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 14, 2015 15:44

The Stones move on, they don't have time to honor people.

Date: May 14, 2015 16:09

If there is a rock and roll heaven/hell/cloud...
I bet they were happy to welcome Bobby into the band...

CHEERS TO BOBBY KEYS!!!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 14, 2015 18:30

retire brown sugar it's the best idea I've read on this board

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 14, 2015 18:53

Agreed. People seem to be much more sad about Taylor not playing on a couple of songs this year than about Bobby Keys not playing with them at all... sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 19:07 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:35

A picture I took at the Paris 2014 show.

Keith & Bobby

Date: May 14, 2015 22:43

GS1978
[i.imgur.com]

A picture I took at the Paris 2014 show.

Keith & Bobby

WOW!! That is a million Dollar shot... AWESOME!!
MDS- That is what I used to call my concert shots that hit it perfect..
perfect focus, perfect lighting, people I want to see doing something cool.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:49

Bsebastian
I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about how the Stones will lack Bobby Keys on this tour. In addition to it being sad, of course, any thoughts on how it will impact their sound? your enjoyment of the concert?

Simple. It will never be the same.
Talk Is Cheap.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 15, 2015 01:42

I remember a night in Philly after a NO SECURITY concert when I was invited to an after show party at the Four Seasons and the band came..well, all of the players except Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Charlie! I had a chance to have a drink and chat with Bobby and Kent and Tim and Chuck and Lisa and even Daryl. Bobby was sweet, friendly and very modest. He had a great smile, I remember that. They all really seemed to appreciate the fact that they had a FABULOUS GIG! Lisa even said she has so much fun every night on stage that she should " pay the Stones for the honor!'I always think back to that night. I can still picture the bar and how exciting it was to be there amongst that group of talented people!

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: May 15, 2015 06:18

They should have Sanborn, then they could do Pretty Beat Up and what ever else he played on Undercover? I'd love to hear Pretty Beat Up Live! That's a blistering solo he'play's! It won't be the same though with out Bobby sad sad sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 06:19 by stonesfrkk.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 06:46

stonesfrkk
They should have Sanborn, then they could do Pretty Beat Up and what ever else he played on Undercover? I'd love to hear Pretty Beat Up Live! That's a blistering solo he'play's! It won't be the same though with out Bobby sad sad sad.
I always loved Think I'm Goin Mad. Should have been a single.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 15, 2015 06:54

mjmjr
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
mjmjr

Very cool

I like this tribute

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 15, 2015 09:04

I have nothing against "the new guy" on sax, I think he is very good but as goes with Darryl Jones/Bill Wyman they are just different and I'm so used to hearing Bobbies style. I saw the stones in Sydney and the Hunter valley and even though the sounded good it was just a different style. The brown sugar solo is so iconic it's just impossible to copy completely. He did a fine job and I'll get used to his style over time and it will be fine but, it's just not the same.
Same goes for Miss You. Tim Ries, who is arguably a much better sax player (technically), played the solo and it was a great solo but it was just in a different more jazzy style. I love Bobbies rock 'n roll style so it sounded a bit less to me.

I saw Bobby Keys last november playing a solo gig in Sydney which was a tremendous thrill for me. And the whole discussion about who's better than who with everybody that played in the stones it became very clear to me that it's all about playing style. Bobbies band members were all first class musicians but when they played Brown Sugar it sounded a bit flat. Just because they have a different style of playing. When it was time for Bobbies sax solo it instantly sounded like good old rock 'n roll with his unique style.

He'll be sorely missed. What a guy...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home