Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Coltrane on the audience
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: May 14, 2015 22:47

"It seems to me that the audience, in listening, there's an act of participation going on there. And when you know that somebody is maybe moved the same way that you are ... it's just like having another member in the group.” -- John Coltrane

Re: OT: John Coltrane on the audience
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 14, 2015 23:00

great quote.

love the ballads ...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2015 23:02

Funny and ironic quote because by 1966 JC had made his music so dark and atonal the listener couldn't participate (and I'm a Coltrane fan).

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 15, 2015 00:04

I like to participate when listening to Coltrane's "Ascension"...and I emerge in tiny little pieces

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 15, 2015 00:20

dcba
Funny and ironic quote because by 1966 JC had made his music so dark and atonal the listener couldn't participate (and I'm a Coltrane fan).

Now I understand why you don't like extended Taylor solos:

Any time you play your horn, it helps you. If you get down, you can help yourself even in a rock 'n' roll band.
John Coltrane

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2015 10:05

CloudCat
"It seems to me that the audience, in listening, there's an act of participation going on there. And when you know that somebody is maybe moved the same way that you are ... it's just like having another member in the group.” -- John Coltrane

Nice! Keith's said something a bit similar about the importance of listening -
and it is a gift, to resonate to music. Not everyone has it - not even every musician has it.
It's strange and unfortunate that there's no name for the talent of listening resonantly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home