Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Opening acts for Zip Code Tour
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 05:57

Wondering if we will see anyone opening shows on the Zip Code Tour. I did not know if the boys had anyone opening shows in Europe or Oz the last couple of tours. But with stadiums in most of the US, will they employ an opening act? Just to entertain the crowd that will take 90 minutes or 2 hours just to file in and get seated in some venues...and to help get sound balance worked out?

Over the years, I have really enjoyed some of the openers the Stones have brought along. Beck was great in 2005. Gels, Thorogood, Outlaws, Living Color, Stone Temple Pilots (in their prime).

Here in Buffalo, the show is nearly sold out, so adding a second band would not be done to help ticket sales....they did fine on their own. But it would be cool to see them even add someone with local ties. Goo Goo Dolls and Soulive both have Buffalo roots. Canadian bands like Tragically Hip or Bachman/Cummings (late of The Guess Who) would be fun. Or dragging in the bad boys from Boston and having J Geils Band.

And info floating out there?

Re: Opening acts for Zip Code Tour
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 15, 2015 06:39

One of my biggest questions about the tour too. Opening acts are a tradition at US concerts and not only are they often great, it's a fantastic way for the Stones to give something back to to music biz that made them so wealthy.

I'm having a hard time imagining a show without one unless the Stones plan on playing an extended set, which would be great but I'm guessing not likely.

What would be awesome would be some totally unknown local acts at each venue, I wouldn't even care if they sucked, just nice to see struggling artist get a break these days and it would make the main event sound even better.

Of course Mick Taylor as an opener would be delightful and surprise the hell out of everyone. What a gift that would be!

peace

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 15, 2015 06:46

I was just thinking about this the other day. My conclusion is that nobody can inject more energy into a crowd than George Thorogood. He is the ultimate opening act. His sets WORK in stadiums. After a Thorogood set, everyone is ready to tear the place down.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:20

The Sicilian
I was just thinking about this the other day. My conclusion is that nobody can inject more energy into a crowd than George Thorogood. He is the ultimate opening act. His sets WORK in stadiums. After a Thorogood set, everyone is ready to tear the place down.

Unfortunately for those of us with tix to the shows, I don't think Thorogood will be playing with the Stones as he is touring on a double bill with Brian Setzer.....which would be a great double bill to see.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:47

This was recently discussed: [www.iorr.org] thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home