Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 13, 2015 10:57

"Mona (I Need You Baby)", on their first album.
I was about 17 years old, in 1985 or something like that.
I had been listening to a whole lot of different music of the late 70's and the 80's, like british ska, punk, new-wave, hardrock, and of course I must have heard other songs by the Stones already without paying attention, but hearing "Mona" by the Stones made me recalibrate everything I heard until then. For me, it was the wildest, most energetic, most "punk" thing I ever heard (of course, I hadn't heard the original version by Bo Diddley yet, which truth be told is even better). Within half a year I had heard all their albums and realised they were the best rock n roll band ever.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 13, 2015 11:01

I vaguely remember Angie (didn't like it) from my youth;
I definitely remember Start me up (as a 10-year old, I was confused by the video) & Waiting on a friend (luved the song & atmposphere).

In general, it was mostly all the early blues stuff that did it; including (first & foremost in fact) the Chuck Berry material.

But if there's ONE song I'd had to pinpoint, the one that really sealed the engagement, I'd say "SATISFACTION". Bless 'em.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 13, 2015 12:02

Used to listen as a little kid to their hits on the radio in the late 6-tees. But YaYa's SFTD, 10 years old did it for me.. The guitars blew me away.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2015 12:06

Start Me Up and the Tattoo You album. I have a vague memory about Beast of Burden also in about the same time - the beginning of the 80s.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 13, 2015 12:39

1970: Sympathy for the Devil, Get Yer Ya Ya´s Out.

As MC on my little tape recorder when I was 9.

Posted by: M4rkRNR ()
Date: May 13, 2015 12:48

6 years ago i kinda knew the stones but not very well. then i saw in a paper that a stones cover band was playing at a free festival in my city. I went with some friends and family and the next few months i was playing Brown Sugar all the time

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 13, 2015 12:57

"It's All Over Now", when I was very young. Noticed particularly the incredible walking and jumping bass line by Bill.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 13, 2015 13:01

Angie - TOTP 1973

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: May 13, 2015 13:06

Rocks off - the first cut on the first album I bought when I was 7 years old in 1972. Imagine my moms shock when I ran around the house singing THAT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 13:11 by keithglimmer.

Date: May 13, 2015 13:12

keithglimmer
Rocks off - the first cut on the first album I bought when I was 7 years old in 1972. Imagine my moms shock when I ran around the house singing THAT!

The question is, did you turn her on to the Stones? - she must have been the same age or thereabouts as the band anyway..........

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 13, 2015 13:57

JJF, I remeber I was about 8 or 9 and my dad brought home an album and the cover didn't have any corners on it which I thought was odd but kind of intriguing. So I asked him to play it when JJF came on, it was BAM! never looked back even after 40+ years.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 13, 2015 13:59

Ready steady go....i wanna be your man...i was mesmerised..still love the song today

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 14:19

There were 2 of them actually, heard both on the same night. I was 16 I think, I had heard Satisfaction and a couple of other songs, but I had never given them a serious listen. I was watching some infomercial thing. I don't know what it was, it seems like it was a mixture of music channel and home shopping network, and I watched it a couple of times because they had these specials they showed on The Beatles and The Stones where they showed a lot of their videos/performances interlaced with trying to sell you merch. The Stones one I just remember showed the IORR video, which I loved, and they also showed some '82 tour footage. So I saw/heard IORR and figured I'd try to find what CD it was on next time I was in the store. Later on I was working on a project, up late, and had the TV on HBO, which was showing Full Metal Jacket. I'd seen pieces of it, but never the whole thing, and I wasn't really paying attention that night. But then they played Paint It Black, and I was blown away (more than by IORR) and watched the credits to try and see if it was listed, and to my surprise it was The Stones again. So the next chance I got I went to the music store trying to find a CD that had both Paint It Black and IORR on it. Which didn't exist. So I walked out with my first Stones purchase of Hot Rocks and IORR.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 13, 2015 14:25

Emotional Rescue !

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 13, 2015 14:44

Brown Sugar. I was allowed to listen to my uncles record collection in his room at my grandmother's house. I was probably 6-10 years old at the time. He had Sticky Fingers with the zipper. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:00

JJF. 1973

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:14

Undercover of The Night, 1983.

Date: May 13, 2015 15:15

EddieByword
keithglimmer

The question is, did you turn her on to the Stones? - she must have been the same age or thereabouts as the band anyway..........

Actually, she turned me onto Elvis Presley who in turn, like the Stones, opened up a whole world of blues , country & R&B by their choice of cover tunes.

Date: May 13, 2015 15:23

keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer

Actually, she turned me onto Elvis Presley who in turn, like the Stones, opened up a whole world of blues , country & R&B by their choice of cover tunes.

Ok, cheers, that's good mothering to be sure but lol, I'm still intrigued, how does a 7 year old end up with his hands on / buying Exile?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 15:31 by EddieByword.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:43

Side 3 of HOT ROCKS, side 3 of MORE HOT ROCKS. It wasn't just one song, it was several. 2000 Light Years From Home, What To Do and Please Go Home from FLOWERS were big.

Then some friends of mine were heavy into LOVE YOU LIVE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Date: May 13, 2015 16:11

EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer

Ok, cheers, that's good mothering to be sure but lol, I'm still intrigued, how does a 7 year old end up with his hands on / buying Exile?

I joined the Columbia house record club. They would send you records for cheap if you sent in the post card that accompanied their ad in various magazines. They would continue to send the records until you managed to stop them. The first 10 or so were practically give aways but the price went way up after that. Many 7 year olds got caught in the Columbia house trap I suspect. I selected Exile having no idea who the stones were.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:25

I remember this question being asked before.
I was in a huge camp of Highwire fans. Where are they?

That song, that video... I watched in awe when I was 10 or 11.
Still love the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 16:28 by BowieStone.

Date: May 13, 2015 16:27

keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer

I joined the Columbia house record club. They would send you records for cheap if you sent in the post card that accompanied their ad in various magazines. They would continue to send the records until you managed to stop them. The first 10 or so were practically give aways but the price went way up after that. Many 7 year olds got caught in the Columbia house trap I suspect. I selected Exile having no idea who the stones were.

I know, we had a similar thing in the UK in the 70s, my mother freaked when the bill came......(mine were Hawkwind, Alice Cooper etc, at that time....

Serendipity at it's finest, ex.............

Posted by: stratt219 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:30

Opening riff of Can't You Hear Me Knocking. The first time i heard it i kept stopping it as the song hit the chorus and replaying from the beginning - maybe 20 times in a row. I was forever hooked.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:53

Heart of Stone..
I´ve been a fand of the band since 2009, when i was 18. No I´m 24.

My dad has a lot of old CDs and there were some old stones compilations. So I listened to The Singles Collection-The London Years and I liked that song.

Then I started buying the newest albums...Bridges to Babylon, A bigger Bang, Voodoo Lounge. I was really excited by Anybody Seen My Baby.

That was 5 years ago. I remember it as if it was yesterda!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:04

As a 12 year old boy in 1971, I was exposed to Brown Sugar on the radio and absolutely loved it.......
Managed to coerce my older brother in to buying the single, which I still own, though it is a bit worse for wear.

I the meantime, because I had expressed an interest in the Stones music, I was given the Decca album Gimme Shelter, which got me completely hooked....

Still own that as well!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:05

SSC

Date: May 13, 2015 17:07

treaclefingers
SSC

It took you a while...

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:09

htw

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:11

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
SSC

It took you a while...

I wanted to make sure they weren't some 'flash in the pan' bubble gum band before I fully committed.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home