Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:07

I just got this album off eBay, and it arrived yesterday. Man it's good! I mean, all their albums are really good, but this album truly has some really great songs on it. IORR, Luxury, Time Waits For No one, etc. I just think it's so good. Really underrated, I think. What do you all think?

Re: It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:22

i don't think it's underrated.

like black and blue and goats head soup from the same era, it's a noticeable drop-off in quality from exile and sticky fingers, but you're right, it's still a good album. especially compared with anything they released after 1981.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:34

Something never quite clicked with this record for me with the exception of the great title song. I think it was a combination of the heavy drug use starting to take it's toll on the bands creativity and the loss of the late great Jimmy Miller as producer.

They should have skipped this record altogether and put IORR on Black and Blue. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 9, 2015 18:42

My favorite Stones album

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:01

I've always liked the music of Time Waits For No One, as well as its sentiment. As for It's Only Rock And Roll, it has ALWAYS bugged me that in all the times I've seen the Stones since 1978, they have never played the damn song the way they recorded it. It's always a sped up version that makes it sound like a dozen other things they do.

Date: May 9, 2015 19:20

Long John Stoner
I've always liked the music of Time Waits For No One, as well as its sentiment. As for It's Only Rock And Roll, it has ALWAYS bugged me that in all the times I've seen the Stones since 1978, they have never played the damn song the way they recorded it. It's always a sped up version that makes it sound like a dozen other things they do.

Really good point and observation Stoner, that swanky groove on the original is hard to beat...and you're right, it's like a different tune when sped up like all the live versions I've heard.

peace

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:21

Long John Stoner

Agree. Time Waits For No One is fantastic. Together with Coming Down Again and Winter probobly the best song theyve never played live.

And the liveversion of IORR - maybe with the exception of 75/76-version - alwayed played too fast and without soul.

My least favourite Stones album from the 70's.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:21

For me, 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' is in a way, the beginning of the end for The Stones as innovators of their unique style in music.
This was the first time they took every earlier created formula and put them together on a single album.
At certain places on this album, they are starting to sound like they are making a parody of their own style: "Short And Curlies" and "Dance Little Sister", to name a few. The result is, at that time, the first record they made, playing it safe all over, and thereby one of the weakest efforts.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:25

One of my top 5 favorite Stones Albums.
Has everything on one lp.
I like it. Yes I do!

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:37

Its time for the band to pick up fingerprint file live again. Guess Darryl is ready for itsmiling smiley

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:38

Blueranger
For me, 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' is in a way, the beginning of the end for The Stones as innovators of their unique style in music.
This was the first time they took every earlier created formula and put them together on a single album.
At certain places on this album, they are starting to sound like they are making a parody of their own style: "Short And Curlies" and "Dance Little Sister", to name a few. The result is, at that time, the first record they made, playing it safe all over, and thereby one of the weakest efforts.

i agree with this, although i feel goats head soup is barely better in this regard.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:41

I remember very clearly the day when the album had just come out and was played on the main shopping street of Frankfurt. If you canĀ“t rock me hit the street!
I was coming from my holiday back to medical school and just felt good hearing this magical, outta sight, far-out thang.
Of course, I bought the album immediately and played it all thru the weekend - making some of my less Stones fans friends a bit ... disstressed, but the heavy consumption of excellent local beer helped us thru the night.

This was to be the beginning of the end of an era, but little did we know about it, back at the time, of course.

The album is just great and its greatness is more visible now, when we know how the story went on...

Just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-09 19:42 by kristian.

Date: May 9, 2015 19:51

Bsebastian
Blueranger

i agree with this, although i feel goats head soup is barely better in this regard.

True. But on GHS they were still trying to keep up and create something new.

Date: May 9, 2015 20:18

The whole album is very good, except for 'Short & Curlies'...angry smiley Man, I hate that song! Never was able to coax myself into listening to anything past the first five seconds of it! Many people on this board scream, 'Filler!' at many new songs, but that song is the definition of a filler!

Date: May 9, 2015 20:22

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
The whole album is very good, except for 'Short & Curlies'...angry smiley Man, I hate that song! Never was able to coax myself into listening to anything past the first five seconds of it! Many people on this board scream, 'Filler!' at many new songs, but that song is the definition of a filler!

Agreed. Hate that song as well.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 9, 2015 20:29

I didn't like it either And never played it.
Happy now that I'm older I find it worth playing
it now. Sounds new as I never listen to it when the album was 1st released. Haha

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: May 9, 2015 20:42

Time waits for no one is great.
Fingerprint file is a killer.
But as a album IORR is not in level of GHS.
GHS is a crispy autumn colours,spicy leaves on a ground from first note to last second.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 9, 2015 20:55

Bsebastian
Blueranger

Yep, agree w/ both of you. Sometimes I think I can trace the "beginning of the end" for Jagger as a 'genuine' vocalist to the last minute or so of "If You Can't Rock Me"--he never sounded more derivative and self-parodying to me.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 9, 2015 22:23

Tops
Long John Stoner

Agree. Time Waits For No One is fantastic. Together with Coming Down Again and Winter probobly the best song theyve never played live.

And the liveversion of IORR - maybe with the exception of 75/76-version - alwayed played too fast and without soul.

My least favourite Stones album from the 70's.

I think this nails it- the recording of IORR had some soul, while live, it's soulless product.

Want to get melancholy- make yourself a mix of Moonlight MIle, Time Waits for No One, Waiting On A Friend and all the rest of side two of Tattoo You.

Date: May 9, 2015 22:42

Long John Stoner

Maybe it will work if they bring on Kenney Jones and Willie Weeks..

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 9, 2015 22:51

Naturalust
Something never quite clicked with this record for me with the exception of the great title song. I think it was a combination of the heavy drug use starting to take it's toll on the bands creativity and the loss of the late great Jimmy Miller as producer.

They should have skipped this record altogether and put IORR on Black and Blue. grinning smiley

peace

Funny how one taste can differ from another. I find IORR the song totally uninteresting. It really has nothing for me. I heard it for the first time loudly on the radio when I as a student was working in a steel factory during summer vacation. I immediately recognized Jagger's voice of course, but almost couldn't believe my ears.

Then bought the album and loved Time Waits and also Dance Litte S. and Fingerprint F, but disliked Ain't To Proud, IORR (as said) and Luxury (repetitive and missing a 'punch'). All other songs so so, some being somewhat better than others. Overall to me this album can't stand in the shadow of GHS, which I consider as one of their best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-09 23:01 by kleermaker.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 10, 2015 00:31

For me it went downward starting with GHS...man I was disappointed back then.......but I guess I was spoiled with the 4 great records on a row...... and now I love them especially compare what they released after '82.......

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:27

IORR is not a great album but it is a great album. Like SF, EOMS and GHS it has an audio vibe to it that applies to the 1970s. As bad as Short And Curlies is it's hilarious.

If You Can't Rock Me ****
Ain't Too Proud to Beg ***1/2
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) ***
Till the Next Goodbye ****
Time Waits for No One *****
Luxury **1/2
Dance Little Sister ***1/2
If You Really Want to Be My Friend *****
Short and Curlies **
Fingerprint File *****

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:09

Top 10

Date: May 10, 2015 03:18

kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Funny how one taste can differ from another. I find IORR the song totally uninteresting. It really has nothing for me. I heard it for the first time loudly on the radio when I as a student was working in a steel factory during summer vacation. I immediately recognized Jagger's voice of course, but almost couldn't believe my ears.

Then bought the album and loved Time Waits and also Dance Litte S. and Fingerprint F, but disliked Ain't To Proud, IORR (as said) and Luxury (repetitive and missing a 'punch'). All other songs so so, some being somewhat better than others. Overall to me this album can't stand in the shadow of GHS, which I consider as one of their best.

Yeah musically I understand the disinterest in the song IORR but vocally and lyrically it is really good, imo. Harmony and doubled vocals prominent and a hook a mile wide. It's Mick and the message I like best about this tune. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 04:55

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Yeah musically I understand the disinterest in the song IORR but vocally and lyrically it is really good, imo. Harmony and doubled vocals prominent and a hook a mile wide. It's Mick and the message I like best about this tune. smoking smiley

peace

Well IORR is one of those stones songs that even the most casual fan knows. Everyone knows IORR, Gimme Shelter, JJF, and Start Me Up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2015 06:30

kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Any album with Dancing With Mr. D on it cannot be consider they're best. Silver Train rips off ADTL. Can You Hear The Music? Can You Hear Me Snoring?

OK, I'm being a bit nasty but this is nowhere near the big 5 or the next 5 or so. Certainly not better than IORR or B&Blue

Date: May 10, 2015 07:06

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Any album with Dancing With Mr. D on it cannot be consider they're best. Silver Train rips off ADTL. Can You Hear The Music? Can You Hear Me Snoring?

OK, I'm being a bit nasty but this is nowhere near the big 5 or the next 5 or so. Certainly not better than IORR or B&Blue

You guys are trippin. GHS is definitely part of the big 5 for me. Better than Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, way better than IORR and Black and Blue. Ok treacle take Dancin w/ Mr. D away but look at the true classics on that record, Angie, 100 Years Ago, CDA, and Heartbreaker all on one side! Then Winter alone on the other side makes it better than anything on SG or ER, or anything after actually.

I think you guys need to give it another critical listen. Don't get me wrong I've come to like SG a lot but most of the tunes were the Stones trying to cop the disco punk stuff of the times, their departure from leading the pack. GHS still represents the Stones as the leaders in the Rock and Roll game. I can still listen to this record from start to finish without skipping a track.

Yeah I love GHS. The last of the best.

peace

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 07:32

The first album without any great songs. Winter/Heartbreaker were great songs. I HATE the song IORR. Very caricatural musically and I have always viewed the sentence "It's Only Rock N Roll" as some kind of cynical mantra... I hate some Girls too, even if it is still better than IORR. Some songs are quite decent compared to the following albums. But... listening to punk-inspired songs by the RS, no way. We can't hear the energy of the youth, there is no urgency. There are too many other great albums from this year: the Scream by Siouxsie & The Banshees, the first only Ones. The RS? late to the party. Now: Black and Blue If I want some great funk music, I listen to Prince or the Meters. And if I want to listen to Disco...well I don't know anything about disco... Now you can tell me the same thing about GHS and Glam rock... that is the case for some songs but Heartbreaker and Winter were not glam rock at all.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 17:13 by ChelseaGirls.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 10, 2015 07:52

Lol, you guys... Short and Curlies is one of best songs on the album imo. Great club tune, well played, little blusey groove, great parts for all instruments, nice to kick back and have on in background.

I admit when I first bought album (back when it 1st came out) I skipped it all the time cuz it wasn't iorr, or Dance, you know, immediately radio-style grabby -- but now when I play the album it's song I look forward to most smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 07:56 by Snoopy.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home