Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Solo Albums
Posted by: OldBarbarian ()
Date: May 8, 2015 05:04

Monkey Grip Glue is awesome. I've had great times playing to friends without telling them what it was. I'm gonna get me a gun and scare the shit out of every one. Feel it hit ya! The best.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 8, 2015 05:31

Yes, all fine albums, but maybe time for people to give a listen to Ron Woods Gimme Some Neck again. It does seem forgotten. And, its quite good..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 8, 2015 06:05

SweetThing
Yes, all fine albums, but maybe time for people to give a listen to Ron Woods Gimme Some Neck again. It does seem forgotten. And, its quite good..

I love it! The problem w/ it though is that most of the songs seem to have the same sound, vibe, beat. Still it has some of my favorite Ronnie tunes, Worry No More, We All Get Old, Buried Alive, Come To Realize.

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: May 8, 2015 07:27

Gimme Some Neck would be a great album if it didn't have horrible production (it's worse then Dirty Work!)

Is it true Ronnie wrote Buried Alive with Clapton during the No Reason to Cry sessions?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:45

1. Now Look
2. Alfie
3. Talk is Cheap

2 1 2 0

Date: May 8, 2015 08:53

FeelTheFire
Gimme Some Neck would be a great album if it didn't have horrible production (it's worse then Dirty Work!)

Is it true Ronnie wrote Buried Alive with Clapton during the No Reason to Cry sessions?

The production is worse than anything I've ever heard. IORR and the sound on Bye Bye Johnnie included.

Date: May 8, 2015 09:02

DandelionPowderman
FeelTheFire

The production is worse than anything I've ever heard. IORR and the sound on Bye Bye Johnnie included.

Isn't 'Seven Days' on that album? If it is it's a great great album...smiling bouncing smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 11:29

kammpberg
Charlie - well you have to be a fan of jazz to be a fan

Has anyone ever listened to the Charlie Watts Jim Keltner project?
Do you have to have acquired taste to comment on it?

Date: May 8, 2015 11:38

Nikkei
kammpberg

Has anyone ever listened to the Charlie Watts Jim Keltner project?
Do you have to have acquired taste to comment on it?

thumbs up

A favorite!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 8, 2015 13:53

I like the raw production of Gimme Some Neck. I think it's way superior to 1234, which to me sounds unfocused and sloppy in comparison

Date: May 8, 2015 14:06

kammpberg
I like the raw production of Gimme Some Neck. I think it's way superior to 1234, which to me sounds unfocused and sloppy in comparison

They're both sloppy, but GSN is so muddy and the mix is so twisted that I can't enjoy it. The sound is below garage rehearsal quality.

Seven Days is listenable, but the pedal steel cut through so awkwardly, and so often, that it destroys the song.

I don't think Roy Thomas Baker was happy with that one.

Many very good songs on there, though, songs that came to life during the New Barbarians-tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:27

kammpberg
Wandering Spirit - excellent
She's The Boss, Primitive Cool and Goddess In The Doorway all have great songs but as total albums are inconsistent - do like She's The Boss alot though

Talk Is Cheap - Great
Main Offender - A Few great songs but mainly more riffs than great songs

Mick Taylors - First Album is excellent and A Stone's Throw also very strong

Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck is a lost classic to me. Love It. I Got My Own Album To Do and Slide On This also very strong. The rest are spotty.

Bill Wyman - An acquired taste but I think Monkey Grip and the self Titled 3rd album are really good. Stone Alone less so.

I think your observations are spot on. I do very much like Ronnie's last album mind you.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:33

1. Wandering Spirit
2. Goddess in the doorway
3. Alfie
4. She's the boss
5. Let's Work
6. Talk is cheap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 19:22 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:48

Talk is cheap and next Keef solo album!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:17

Cristiano Radtke
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Cristiano Radtke
duke richardson
philrock90
thanks for the list i'll see if i can grab them cheap never really listened to any of their solo stuff except some of micks

aren't you interested in Charlie's?

I love his live album with the A, B, C and D of Boogie Woogie (recorded in Paris). I know there's no new music on it, but it's a very fine record.

If I can, I have a few recommendations on Watts' albums...LIVE At Fulham Town Hall is great, his album he did with Jim Keltener is pretty good, nothing amazing, nothing horrible...The 'From One Charlie To Another' CD is pretty good.

Thanks! winking smiley

also -

"Long Ago And Far Away", and "Warm & Tender"

when I first heard these it opened up a whole new area of jazz songs I had never heard..

and its interesting to hear Charlie and Bernard Fowler, with a small jazz group. nice.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:19

treaclefingers
potus43
philrock90

Hey whats the best solo albums from Mick Keith and Ronnie?

Pleeeeeze! We have been down this road a zillion times

why would you open a thread you've opened a zillion times before then? doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result...I think there's a name for that condition.

why did you?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:35

duke richardson
Cristiano Radtke
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Cristiano Radtke
duke richardson
philrock90
thanks for the list i'll see if i can grab them cheap never really listened to any of their solo stuff except some of micks

aren't you interested in Charlie's?

I love his live album with the A, B, C and D of Boogie Woogie (recorded in Paris). I know there's no new music on it, but it's a very fine record.

If I can, I have a few recommendations on Watts' albums...LIVE At Fulham Town Hall is great, his album he did with Jim Keltener is pretty good, nothing amazing, nothing horrible...The 'From One Charlie To Another' CD is pretty good.

Thanks! winking smiley

also -

"Long Ago And Far Away", and "Warm & Tender"

when I first heard these it opened up a whole new area of jazz songs I had never heard..

and its interesting to hear Charlie and Bernard Fowler, with a small jazz group. nice.

Long Ago And Far Away is a nice album and it's perfect to listen to it at the end of the night with a glass of wine or two.

And one of the greatest things about the Stones' music is that I became interested in jazz because of that Take the 'A' Train intro on Still Life when I first heard it (I think I was 15 or 16 years old at that time). Like you wrote, it opened a whole new world to me. smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:49

I love Main Offender and Talk Is Cheap.

Now here's a curveball; as well as liking Wandering Spirit and Goddess, and Own Album, and Now Look, I also like Watts / Keltner.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:56

tomcasagranda
I love Main Offender and Talk Is Cheap.

Now here's a curveball; as well as liking Wandering Spirit and Goddess, and Own Album, and Now Look, I also like Watts / Keltner.

smileys with beer You may apply in the "Real Stones Fan"-Thread.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 8, 2015 20:03

they are all a waste of time and songwriting.

i cant think of one song on a solo record by mick.keith or ronnie that couldnt have been done better by the rolling stones.

i've listened to all of them but not alot,they have the same place in my collection as bootlegs.instead of "oh,they should've finished that one it could've been something" it is instead-"oh they should've used that for the stones record,it could've been something".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2015 15:18

potus43
treaclefingers
potus43
philrock90

Hey whats the best solo albums from Mick Keith and Ronnie?

Pleeeeeze! We have been down this road a zillion times

why would you open a thread you've opened a zillion times before then? doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result...I think there's a name for that condition.

why did you?

I don't have a problem with the thread. duh.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:39

There's only three great ones - Talk Is Cheap, Wandering Spirit & I've Got My Own Album To Do. All other albums still have some great tracks, but also too many boring stinkers for my taste.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 9, 2015 21:01

DandelionPowderman
kammpberg

They're both sloppy, but GSN is so muddy and the mix is so twisted that I can't enjoy it. The sound is below garage rehearsal quality.

Seven Days is listenable, but the pedal steel cut through so awkwardly, and so often, that it destroys the song.

Many very good songs on there, though, songs that came to life during the New Barbarians-tour.

Bad mix but always liked seven days and this one:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 9, 2015 21:32

Mick J. I like Primative Cool, Wandering Spirit , Keith R. I like Talk Is Cheap and Live at the Hollywood Palladium - Ronnie W. I've Got My Own Album to Do masterpiece and I Feel Like Playing, listening often Slide on Live .
Bello also called jazz of Charlie but I do not remember the title.

Date: May 9, 2015 23:14

kammpberg
Wandering Spirit - excellent
She's The Boss, Primitive Cool and Goddess In The Doorway all have great songs but as total albums are inconsistent - do like She's The Boss alot though

Talk Is Cheap - Great
Main Offender - A Few great songs but mainly more riffs than great songs

Mick Taylors - First Album is excellent and A Stone's Throw also very strong

Ron Wood - Gimme Some Neck is a lost classic to me. Love It. I Got My Own Album To Do and Slide On This also very strong. The rest are spotty.

Bill Wyman - An acquired taste but I think Monkey Grip and the self Titled 3rd album are really good. Stone Alone less so.

Not necessarily for this album!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 11, 2015 03:36

DandelionPowderman
kammpberg

Back in the Vinyl days I picked up some bootleg of the New Barbarians...and THAT was unbearable. I tried to listen over and over again, hoping it wouldn't sound like total garbage and it was impossible. Maybe I got the wrong one...? Anyway, it was miles worse than listening to GSN.... Although I see on Youtube oddly enough a couple of New Barbarian concert clips that quite good.. at least compared to that bootleg I once had.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 11, 2015 05:09

I played the hell out of Gimme Some Neck, perhaps because I was seeing and saw the New Barbarians show at Madison Square Garden back in 1979. Anyway i just went back and played it again. Still sounds great to me. I think it's still the best Ronnie solo album. I did forget his last album I Feel Like Playing. Actually it's also pretty strong, though didn't get too much turntable time for me, and that's what I really judge the success of an album by.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:05

I liked Primitive Cool.Am I crazy?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:21

what does your nurse say ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 11, 2015 07:49

retired_dog
There's only three great ones - Talk Is Cheap, Wandering Spirit & I've Got My Own Album To Do. All other albums still have some great tracks, but also too many boring stinkers for my taste.

Good list but Gimme Some Neck comes close, despite the shitty production.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home