Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Cassettes
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:56

Palace Revolution 2000
Therer is still a Keith solo boot (studio outtakes) which I only have on cassette. Never have seen it in disc ever.
Wasn't there a notion that 8 track tapes were considered some of the best audio available?

I also must have a Keith boot somewhere on cassette got it from my sister long time ago...still got to find the time to check all my old cassettes ...it will take me hours to listen to them all.....................

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:57

U2Stonesfan

Oh man, that's so cool! Awesome collection there

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:00

stones2000
U2Stonesfan

Oh man, that's so cool! Awesome collection there

thumbs up What a great picture and perfect posted response in this thread. Awesome.

peace

Date: May 2, 2015 17:02

stones2000
Thanks everyone for all the info! That cleared up the confusion. I kind of like the idea of maybe getting Cassette or Vinyl stones some day, but don't they both wear or warp after many listens?

I will only promote vinyl, since I have only a few small boxes of cassettes versus a shelf full of vinyl, but that is a risk you run with both, just like CDs and DVDs run the risk of Disc Rot...But I would recommend vinyl, much better sound (on most vinyl), like a wider dynamic range than cassettes, but hey- that's just my two cents.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:07

I used to make my own cassettes. I had a great system. I would record from the LPs. I love it! I would make tapes for my friends.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:34

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
stones2000
Thanks everyone for all the info! That cleared up the confusion. I kind of like the idea of maybe getting Cassette or Vinyl stones some day, but don't they both wear or warp after many listens?

I will only promote vinyl, since I have only a few small boxes of cassettes versus a shelf full of vinyl, but that is a risk you run with both, just like CDs and DVDs run the risk of Disc Rot...But I would recommend vinyl, much better sound (on most vinyl), like a wider dynamic range than cassettes, but hey- that's just my two cents.

Good info, thanks!

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:00

RSR/WEA cassettes. I never bought official cassettes as "new", only 2nd hand at low price for collection, excepted the original "Undercover" for the longer "Wanna Hold You".

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:03

I'm oldschool and my hundreds of cassettes collection still continues cause I still buy them and record music. I have a lot of rare music and radio broadcast interviews of Keith, Lou Reed and Don Van Vliet to name a few on cassettes. It matters what kind of tapes you buy and the amp/cassette player. Cassettes have never let me down since a long time.

Keith: "claiming “I still use CDs or records actually. Sometimes cassettes. It has much better sound; a much better sound than digital.”

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:06

I still have 100's of cassettes stored properly - mostly mix tapes I would make with the variety spanning everything from rock, classical, funk, folk, punk,
reggae....and almost any other genre you can imagine. Hours of listening pleasure without having to rely on narrow-minded radio stations.

The best one I have was made in 1971 of me talking with my Great Grandma when I was 8 years old, taped from one of those early cassette players similar to the ones seen in this thread.

I also still have a giant boombox from the early '80's that still functions properly, although I never carried it around publicly on my shoulder. lol

Date: May 2, 2015 18:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Therer is still a Keith solo boot (studio outtakes) which I only have on cassette. Never have seen it in disc ever.
Wasn't there a notion that 8 track tapes were considered some of the best audio available?

Would that be the one wuth Breakin', Baby What You Want Me To Do and some others? I have that one somewhere, I think.

Date: May 2, 2015 21:31

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Would that be the one wuth Breakin', Baby What You Want Me To Do and some others? I have that one somewhere, I think.

Not sure. I do know that he farts into a mic at some point.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: May 2, 2015 21:45

One of my favorite covers:

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 2, 2015 22:08

Definitely one of the most underrated pics from the era cool smiley

Date: May 2, 2015 22:27

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Not sure. I do know that he farts into a mic at some point.

LOL! An outtake fart. Wonder how the final take turned out! smiling smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 2, 2015 23:47

treaclefingers
detroitken
Cassette's were most popular from 82 till about 87...vinyl was being fazed out & cd's were just taking off....I remember back in 87 an old friend was visiting & we went to the local record store looking for stuff,he bought a new(still sealed) DW & I got a used(very) cassette of it...took them back to my place & played them,1 track at a time & we were totally amazed at how much better the used(and abused) cassette sounded compared to the record...

did the cassette copy contain completely different songs? maybe you were mistaken and were actually listening to Some Girls?

Not mistaken at all..the cassette blew the lp away...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 3, 2015 04:39

Nikkei
treaclefingers

me too...

I recall in 'the day' a 90 minute metal tape cost $20, whilst the chrome ones were $3-ish.

I remember thinking, "isn't chrome actually a metal too?"

I couldn't wrap my head around paying $10-12 for a prerecorded cassette vs. $20 for a blank cassette that I still had to record to.

So, I did what a lot of people did, buy the vinyl, transfer to chrome tape and beat the hell out of that chrome tape.

I still have all my albums, played once!

Weren't the expensive metal tapes those that were actually built of metal?

I have kept some of those

maybe, but I only ever saw Metal Tapes with plastic casing...I always assumed it was some sort of metal coating on the tape. Chrome tape cases certainly weren't made of chrome!

Date: May 3, 2015 07:05

stones2000
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
stones2000

Good info, thanks!

Not a problem, just glad to help! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home