Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
One More Shot/Doom and Gloom
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 30, 2015 06:43

Just listened to these and wanted to say I think they're really good. Both of them. Maybe neither one a classic, but they both rock, and are specific to the Stones (or Mick and Keith anyway). And Charlie and Ronnie both sound good on OMS.

Re: One More Shot/Doom and Gloom
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 30, 2015 07:11

I agree. I remember how excited I was to hear them when they were first released and I still like them a lot. Can't wait to hearing Keith's version of OMS.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 30, 2015 07:25

Doom and Gloom is as classic as they will get in this century. In a couple of years from now it will definitely stand out from their latter-day work.
It is definitely a miles better single than Don't stop, which came about in similar circumstances. One more Shot however feels very rehashed to me,
Mixed Emotions comes to mind. The lyrics are pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. I imagine a scene where Keith just can't come up
with a song and Mick begs him to give it one more shot. which then kinda stuck in his head. Have to admit it sounded good live though.

Date: April 30, 2015 08:52

Agreed, Teddy.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 30, 2015 10:02

Doom and Gloom is as classic as they will get in this century BUT it is not good live. OMS is a good track too.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:06

Nikkei
Doom and Gloom is as classic as they will get in this century. In a couple of years from now it will definitely stand out from their latter-day work.
It is definitely a miles better single than Don't stop, which came about in similar circumstances. One more Shot however feels very rehashed to me,
Mixed Emotions comes to mind. The lyrics are pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. I imagine a scene where Keith just can't come up
with a song and Mick begs him to give it one more shot. which then kinda stuck in his head. Have to admit it sounded good live though.

"One More Shot" can't hold a candle to "Mixed Emotions", which is really good. "One More Shot", instead, is a very weak song. It sounds pointless.

"Doom And Gloom" is a classic in my book!!

Date: April 30, 2015 12:40

Yeah, I didn't exactly mean One More Shot to be as good as Mixed Emotions, more like it grew on the same tree melody-wise you know? IMO the pointless feeling
is caused by Micks vocal delivery. He doesn't care for the song. And the chorus line evokes the image of a choir of merry drunkards swaying away on bar stools.
Negativity aside, any new song is essentially a good thing and the greatness of Doom amd Gloom makes up for a relative dud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-30 12:41 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 30, 2015 13:05

Love Doom & Gloom but One More Shot is typical post 83 Stones filler fare.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2015 13:07

Silver Dagger
Love Doom & Gloom but One More Shot is typical post 83 Stones filler fare.

+1

- Doxa

Date: April 30, 2015 13:12

OMS definitely worked best live. For some reason, Mick never wanted to sing the D&G chorus properly. It was still good, though.

It was fantastic to hear both of these brand new Stones tracks in London in 2012.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2015 15:56

DandelionPowderman
OMS definitely worked best live. For some reason, Mick never wanted to sing the D&G chorus properly. It was still good, though.

It was fantastic to hear both of these brand new Stones tracks in London in 2012.

Agreed...I was a bit surprised actually. OMS is a bit lame, but live it worked very well. D&G on the other hand, killer studio track that sounded awful live. Never quite got the groove.

A bit like Rocks Off in the last tour, which is one of my favourite all time tracks but live did not work.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 30, 2015 17:53

These two are great tracks. The first time I heard d&g I thought it sounded like ac/DC meets the Stones. OMS is great. I love the groove the classic keef riff. I agree though D and G didn't work live. The guitars sounded to clean and MJ was "pushing" the vocals instead of singing it. The band seemed to get lost or unfocused on OMS.

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: April 30, 2015 17:58

While I'll admit that D&G isn't as good live as in studio (particularly the Jeff Bhasker mix - if you haven't heard it, definitely go check it out!), I have to say that having heard D&G live the 2nd night at the O2 in London, as well as Zurich/PinkPop/Rome on 14onFire, I wasn't left with any complaints! Powerful song, gets everyone jumping and singing along - definitely deserves a spot in the setlist through Zip Code in my book!!

One More Shot was fun to hear live at the O2, but I didn't miss it, and I can't say it's gotten much action on iTunes from me, either.

Date: April 30, 2015 17:59

nankerphlege
These two are great tracks. The first time I heard d&g I thought it sounded like ac/DC meets the Stones. OMS is great. I love the groove the classic keef riff. I agree though D and G didn't work live. The guitars sounded to clean and MJ was "pushing" the vocals instead of singing it. The band seemed to get lost or unfocused on OMS.

You have the username I originally tried to sign up with smileys with beer

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 30, 2015 18:11

I never heard "Doom & Gloom" live. I doubt if I hear it in Atlanta but if I did it would be welcome by me.

Date: April 30, 2015 18:30

tonyc
I never heard "Doom & Gloom" live. I doubt if I hear it in Atlanta but if I did it would be welcome by me.

Why do you doubt it? Unless they release a new song during May, I'd doubt they wouldn't play Doom & Gloom - I think especially Mick is keen on bringing the newer songs out to feel like the band is moving forward rather than playing the same gig as they were in the '90s or during Licks. My money's on D&G being a staple in the setlist (hopefully with Can't You Hear Me Knocking as the rockers sandwiched between Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile, but that's just my wishful thinking)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 30, 2015 19:05

Probably get beat up for breaking ranks here but...I like D&G way better than OMS like most people here, but somehow still believe something is missing from both tunes. Not sure I can put my finger on it but it's like they are without depth of emotion or movement and variety within the song...something. It likely has something to do with how the tunes are arranged and produced, like you've got everything they have in the first 50 seconds and they just don't go anywhere else, tone and dynamics just kinda flat throughout.

For instance, D&G could have benefited from a killer breakdown with some rippin', killer toned, slide guitar instead of the cliche' licks and fills Ronnie provides. The song has a decent riff and high energy but comes across as fast food burger compared to the filet mignon with bearnaise sause of the Stones best rockers. It's gonna fill you up and even tastes good for the first couple bites...

I don't think either song holds up the the Stones best work although D&G is definitely a step in the right direction.

peace

Date: April 30, 2015 19:12

Naturalust
The song has a decent riff and high energy but comes across as fast food burger compared to the filet mignon with bearnaise sause of the Stones best rockers.

Well considering the time Mick needed to produce it, that's a good analogy.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: April 30, 2015 19:19

nankerzrk
tonyc

Why do you doubt it? Unless they release a new song during May, I'd doubt they wouldn't play Doom & Gloom - I think especially Mick is keen on bringing the newer songs out to feel like the band is moving forward rather than playing the same gig as they were in the '90s or during Licks. My money's on D&G being a staple in the setlist (hopefully with Can't You Hear Me Knocking as the rockers sandwiched between Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile, but that's just my wishful thinking)

Well, it was not played very often during the Australia tour. But, I hope you are right.

Date: April 30, 2015 19:22

tonyc
nankerzrk
tonyc

Well, it was not played very often during the Australia tour. But, I hope you are right.

To be completely honest with you, I'd forgotten it had been knocked off the list for so many Australian shows! In my head, I'd just assumed the setlists had the same standard songs as Europe in Australia. My point is significantly weakened, you're right. I'd still be surprised if they didn't play it in the US, though - I feel like the US is more of a Doom & Gloom market, especially the stadiums they'll be playing..!

Date: April 30, 2015 19:35

Naturalust
Probably get beat up for breaking ranks here but...I like D&G way better than OMS like most people here, but somehow still believe something is missing from both tunes. Not sure I can put my finger on it but it's like they are without depth of emotion or movement and variety within the song...something. It likely has something to do with how the tunes are arranged and produced, like you've got everything they have in the first 50 seconds and they just don't go anywhere else, tone and dynamics just kinda flat throughout.

For instance, D&G could have benefited from a killer breakdown with some rippin', killer toned, slide guitar instead of the cliche' licks and fills Ronnie provides. The song has a decent riff and high energy but comes across as fast food burger compared to the filet mignon with bearnaise sause of the Stones best rockers. It's gonna fill you up and even tastes good for the first couple bites...

I don't think either song holds up the the Stones best work although D&G is definitely a step in the right direction.

peace

I know what you're talking about. Doom & Gloom is a fun song but let's not get carried away. It's the Stones by numbers. It's like Highwire and Rough Justice in that it's a high octane rocker and it runs on down the track pretty well like a revved up hare. But we're not getting anything as emotionally uplifting as when those beautiful gospel angels come in at the end of Tumbling Dice singing 'you got to roll me' and take the song into rock'n'roll heaven.

There's Stones singles and then there's great singles by The Rolling Stones. I haven't heard that kind of transcendental lift, as in Tumbling Dice, in a Stones' single for a very long time.

Date: April 30, 2015 19:39

nankerzrk
tonyc
nankerzrk
tonyc

To be completely honest with you, I'd forgotten it had been knocked off the list for so many Australian shows! In my head, I'd just assumed the setlists had the same standard songs as Europe in Australia. My point is significantly weakened, you're right. I'd still be surprised if they didn't play it in the US, though - I feel like the US is more of a Doom & Gloom market, especially the stadiums they'll be playing..!

They dropped it in Australia only after Micks sore throat became a problem.
I believe, given there isn't another "surprise single" in the works, that it will return to the set.

Date: April 30, 2015 19:48

I actually like "Doom and Gloom" better live.

To me,it sounds more 'natural' in the live versions.

By the way,I am pretty sure that it was only the last 3 shows in Australia when it was dropped. Those were the first 3 concerts after Jagger returned from his throat problem. It could have been related to the throat problem. They brought it back for the last show of that leg of the tour in New Zealand.

I hope that they bring it back again this year,at least for a few shows .... including Buffalo.

It could go either way,though. They like to play new songs but,they have become fewer since the start of the fall of 2006 U.S. tour. Really since 2002 with the exception of 2005 and part of 2006. Plus,they do eventually give up on them. I can't believe that "Sad Sad Sad" has only been played four or five times since the 1990 tour ended.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 30, 2015 20:41

Silver Dagger
Naturalust

peace

I know what you're talking about. Doom & Gloom is a fun song but let's not get carried away. It's the Stones by numbers. It's like Highwire and Rough Justice in that it's a high octane rocker and it runs on down the track pretty well like a revved up hare. But we're not getting anything as emotionally uplifting as when those beautiful gospel angels come in at the end of Tumbling Dice singing 'you got to roll me' and take the song into rock'n'roll heaven.

There's Stones singles and then there's great singles by The Rolling Stones. I haven't heard that kind of transcendental lift, as in Tumbling Dice, in a Stones' single for a very long time.

Yep. Not just Tumbling Dice but so many others from that era, not just the hits. Heartbreaker, Gimme Shelter, Let it Loose, Loving Cup, etc, etc. They all had elements that were unique and uplifting and musically inspiring. Stones by numbers is a good description, it's like they are trying to follow a formula when the whole lack of such an approach is what made them great and produced their best music.

Should we expect these aging men to have musical vision equivalent to their most creative period and output? Probably not. But if they are going to write with a formula in mind I sure wish they would quit trying to rewrite Start Me Up and go back a few years to Tumbling Dice, et al.

My best vision for new Stones music gets them completely away from the D&G uptempo riff rock and more into the basically folk and country blues (and rock) they basically nailed with Beggar's Banquet through Exile. That's the "roots" I love so much although it's a bit higher up the tree trunk than what might be considered true Stones roots...Chuck Berry and that kind of stuff.

They have plenty of uptempo tunes in their catalog to keep the stadium crowds awake and allow Mick to prance and dance around the huge stage...I'm ready for another record which just has great soulful songs, something I can listen to for years to come, something with deep emotional content, great dynamics and interesting and different instrumentation, something that shows the depth, complexity and experience of 50+ years of songwriting. smoking smiley

peace

Date: April 30, 2015 21:11

Naturalust
Silver Dagger
Naturalust

peace

Yep. Not just Tumbling Dice but so many others from that era, not just the hits. Heartbreaker, Gimme Shelter, Let it Loose, Loving Cup, etc, etc. They all had elements that were unique and uplifting and musically inspiring. Stones by numbers is a good description, it's like they are trying to follow a formula when the whole lack of such an approach is what made them great and produced their best music.

Should we expect these aging men to have musical vision equivalent to their most creative period and output? Probably not. But if they are going to write with a formula in mind I sure wish they would quit trying to rewrite Start Me Up and go back a few years to Tumbling Dice, et al.

My best vision for new Stones music gets them completely away from the D&G uptempo riff rock and more into the basically folk and country blues (and rock) they basically nailed with Beggar's Banquet through Exile. That's the "roots" I love so much although it's a bit higher up the tree trunk than what might be considered true Stones roots...Chuck Berry and that kind of stuff.

They have plenty of uptempo tunes in their catalog to keep the stadium crowds awake and allow Mick to prance and dance around the huge stage...I'm ready for another record which just has great soulful songs, something I can listen to for years to come, something with deep emotional content, great dynamics and interesting and different instrumentation, something that shows the depth, complexity and experience of 50+ years of songwriting. smoking smiley

peace

Right on, right on. Unfortunately the numbers that especially Mick is governed by are the ones that have to do with sales. So, yes, you're right - they are looking at Start Me Up as the rock from which to chisel out similar sounding songs. Lose the formula and bring back the passion. Less is more.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 30, 2015 21:36

Both solid tunes.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 30, 2015 22:14

I like better "OMS"....great Stones sound !....but a bit weak in the chorus....

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 30, 2015 22:33

Silver Dagger

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upAbsolutely agreeing.
D&G and 1MS are both solid songs, there's nothing wrong with them, but the songs become boring very fast.
And Tumbling Dice.. it's just a song I could hear all day and night, one of my absolute favourite stones songs. Especially the end part - turn it up as loud as you can and you are in heaven.

I think they should just meet for a jam session, many great stones songs were not "writen", they developed in the studio. Many great stones songs, for example Tumbling Dice or Start Me Up were made that way.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 30, 2015 23:43

None of them are classics of course. I like the Keith one, OMS, even though it's nothing new, just generic Stones music. Good enough for me...

Posted by: Keef551 ()
Date: May 1, 2015 01:01

I think Doom and Gloom has a lot of energy. Love it. Any lyrics where Mick stresses the word "face" is alway fun.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home