Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith/Drugs
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 20, 2015 20:22

Hey all. Can anyone confirm or correct me on this? I was talking with someone yesterday about when Keith quit the drugs, and my understanding was (from reading Life and various interviews) that he quit heroin in about 1979, and he quit cocaine in 2006. Just curious, forgive me if there are already a bunch of active threads on this topic. Thanks

Re: Keith/Drugs
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 20, 2015 20:27

Recovering from a drug addiction is a long. slow, life-long process. A struggle. 'Nuff said. It's MY opinion that this issue is Keith's own private affair. (No offence meant).

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 20, 2015 20:41

Cocaine Eyes
Recovering from a drug addiction is a long. slow, life-long process. A struggle. 'Nuff said. It's MY opinion that this issue is Keith's own private affair. (No offence meant).

CE smoking smiley

Keith has talked openly about his drug use since the mid-eighties...Which makes it a not so private affair...As a heavy drinker & drug user since 1970...I feel good that I have been clean for awhile and have no problem at all talking about it to anyone....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 20:42 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 20, 2015 20:42

He admitted in 2006 that his head injury prevented him from doing coke anymore. That must not mean he did it regularly up until then.
I believe he has mostly given up smoking as a habit as well and it's more of an occasional image-maintaining thing.

and 2120Wolf you're right, Keef has made his drug history pretty much a public domain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 20:49 by Nikkei.

Date: April 20, 2015 21:19

Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Oh I agree, it's completely his business. Substance problems are very personal, and they'd never make me think less of Keith. I just really admire how he was able to kick the drugs, because like you said, it's an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Date: April 20, 2015 21:49

stones2000
Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Oh I agree, it's completely his business. Substance problems are very personal, and they'd never make me think less of Keith. I just really admire how he was able to kick the drugs, because like you said, it's an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Keith has talked openly about his drug use since the mid-eighties...Which makes it a not so private affair...As a heavy drinker & drug user since 1970...I feel good that I have been clean for awhile and have no problem at all talking about it to anyone....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 21:50 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 20, 2015 21:59

Guess he's not that into pot anymore, since they're going nowhere near Colorado & Washington

Date: April 20, 2015 22:07

Maybe he just doesn't see the point in procuring it like shopping for groceries. He probably doesn't do his own groceries.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:19

I personally don't think heavy drug use is wise for anyone and have seen many lives which were initially enhanced by the experience become a harrowing form of existence. I once toured with a guy who was addicted to narcotics and found myself in the hoods of many American cities trying to get the drugs necessary to keep this fine fellow functioning. Not particularly proud of my enabling ways but happily, this guy finally got clean.

I think Keith has never or will ever be in "Recovery". His drug use is probably a mixture of ingrained denial, extreme means, and just plain out growing hard street drugs. He admits to still being a heavy pot smoker and the weed these days is probably stronger than some of the heroin he's taken. eye popping smiley

But I'd guess his medicine cabinet is still pretty well stocked, albeit with the highest quality absolutely pure pharmaceutical grade potions available and still allowed by his doctor, all properly and legally prescribed of course.

You get the feeling if Keith ever quit drugs completely it would kill him. smoking smiley, and in the end who are we to judge this international treasure.

peace

Date: April 20, 2015 22:39

2120Wolf
stones2000
Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Yeah I see what you're saying. He's been very open about it, you're right. Oh congratulations on getting clean! That's great, I know a lot of people can't kick the addiction(s).

Date: April 20, 2015 22:44

Naturalust
I personally don't think heavy drug use is wise for anyone and have seen many lives which were initially enhanced by the experience become a harrowing form of existence. I once toured with a guy who was addicted to narcotics and found myself in the hoods of many American cities trying to get the drugs necessary to keep this fine fellow functioning. Not particularly proud of my enabling ways but happily, this guy finally got clean.

I think Keith has never or will ever be in "Recovery". His drug use is probably a mixture of ingrained denial, extreme means, and just plain out growing hard street drugs. He admits to still being a heavy pot smoker and the weed these days is probably stronger than some of the heroin he's taken. eye popping smiley

But I'd guess his medicine cabinet is still pretty well stocked, albeit with the highest quality absolutely pure pharmaceutical grade potions available and still allowed by his doctor, all properly and legally prescribed of course.

You get the feeling if Keith ever quit drugs completely it would kill him. smoking smiley, and in the end who are we to judge this international treasure.

peace

Yeah he probably hasn't quit all drugs completely, but still, quitting heroin and coke is pretty amazing. That's how I feel anyway. Keith is definitely an international treasure, that's why I don't like to consider his past/present or whatever drug use a part of his character. He himself says in Life that part of his "junkie" stage persona is just because the fans had labelled him with it

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:45

Most likely quit heroin in 1980 well before the 1981 tour. Had relapses as all addicts have but never fell back to that full blown addict of the late 60s/the 70s.

Date: April 20, 2015 22:46

mosthigh
Guess he's not that into pot anymore, since they're going nowhere near Colorado & Washington

I think he said he does still do pot, but I seriously doubt he chain smokes it or anything like that. Probably just socially

Date: April 20, 2015 22:48

stones2000
2120Wolf
stones2000
Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Yeah I see what you're saying. He's been very open about it, you're right. Oh congratulations on getting clean! That's great, I know a lot of people can't kick the addiction(s).

Thanks Man, Yes I miss it but It feels good...same here still have alot of friends that are dug in really deep....In the video 25 X 5 Keith talked about the rush he got from telling dealers that "No Man, I am Not into that anymore"...He wore the junkie badge of honor well and he felt good about cleaning up ...even if it was for a short stretch...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:53

2120Wolf
stones2000
2120Wolf
stones2000
Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Thanks Man, Yes I miss it but It feels good...same here still have alot of friends that are dug in really deep....In the video 25 X 5 Keith talked about the rush he got from telling dealers that "No Man, I am Not into that anymore"...He wore the junkie badge of honor well and he felt good about cleaning up ...even if it was for a short stretch...

The video 25 x 5 is a PR piece for their Vegas comeback in 1989.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:05

stones2000
Yeah he probably hasn't quit all drugs completely, but still, quitting heroin and coke is pretty amazing. That's how I feel anyway. Keith is definitely an international treasure, that's why I don't like to consider his past/present or whatever drug use a part of his character. He himself says in Life that part of his "junkie" stage persona is just because the fans had labelled him with it

What you may not understand is that at one time, before the complete madness and heavy bad drugs became prevalent, it was considered cool to be part of the drug culture and the majority of rock fans embraced the drugs along with the music. In many people's opinion they were good bedfellows, for a while.

Tripping, smoking pot and trying other drugs was just part of the growing up experience for many and music was always nearby and often enhanced by the drugs. I think the drugs out there that kids are exposed to today are alot more dangerous. The people making and importing them, the purity, the whole intention has changed and it's a much scarier scene. But at one time it just seemed a fairly benign part of life. The Drug War, crack, designer drugs, violence in places like Mexico and South America and the huge prescription drug business have all contributed to changing the scene considerably since Keith was king of it.

peace

Date: April 20, 2015 23:16

I recall an interview on Toronto's CityTV where he was asked about "having regrets". The interviewer was talking about drug use/abuse. I clearly recall Keith saying "It's 50% my personal situation for using drugs; it's 50% your (the media) fault for putting the info out there".

My take was that Keith wanted to stop all the media talk about his drug use.

That said, if HE wishes to write/speak about it........that's his decision. I just wouldn't feel comfortable about my personal life being talked about all over town.

CE cool smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:17

Needs a seperate thread of course, but KEITH/ALCOHOL would make an interesting topic. His book hardly mentions it......which seems a bit strange.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:24

Keith never had problems with drugs, only with the policesmiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2015 23:35

Cocaine Eyes
That said, if HE wishes to write/speak about it........that's his decision. I just wouldn't feel comfortable about my personal life being talked about all over town.

CE cool smiley

HE essentially offers that after his passing, Scientists were to obduct his body in order to explore the secret of his indestructibility.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:41

Nikkei
He admitted in 2006 that his head injury prevented him from doing coke anymore. That must not mean he did it regularly up until then.

Every day, after meals, right? Helped with digestion, he claimed.

Date: April 20, 2015 23:41

Nikkei
Cocaine Eyes

CE cool smiley

HE essentially offers that after his passing, Scientists were to obduct his body in order to explore the secret of his indestructibility.

Typical Keith nonsense.....or sense of humour.

Date: April 20, 2015 23:45

Keith refuses to play "Coming Down Again" live "because it's too personal".

CE smoking smiley

Date: April 20, 2015 23:49

Cocaine Eyes
I recall an interview on Toronto's CityTV where he was asked about "having regrets". The interviewer was talking about drug use/abuse. I clearly recall Keith saying "It's 50% my personal situation for using drugs; it's 50% your (the media) fault for putting the info out there".

My take was that Keith wanted to stop all the media talk about his drug use.

CE cool smiley

personal life being talked about all over town.
That is the price of fame Cocaine Eyes...it goes with the territory.

Date: April 20, 2015 23:57

It's a territory where blood exchange myths come in handy. He has set his "My-body-is-a-Laboratory" Narrative and we keep it alive by talking about it. His promotion works.

Date: April 20, 2015 23:58

Its just showbiz......and for many people the facination of the artists private lives is far greater than the product (music/writing/art or whatever).

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 21, 2015 00:04

I'll have whatever he's having...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2015 00:05

Nikkei

I think he's pretty damaged... Look at Jagger who stopped the silly habits at the end of the 80's : he looks far better than Keith.

Date: April 21, 2015 00:12

Naturalust
stones2000

What you may not understand is that at one time, before the complete madness and heavy bad drugs became prevalent, it was considered cool to be part of the drug culture and the majority of rock fans embraced the drugs along with the music. In many people's opinion they were good bedfellows, for a while.

Tripping, smoking pot and trying other drugs was just part of the growing up experience for many and music was always nearby and often enhanced by the drugs. I think the drugs out there that kids are exposed to today are alot more dangerous. The people making and importing them, the purity, the whole intention has changed and it's a much scarier scene. But at one time it just seemed a fairly benign part of life. The Drug War, crack, designer drugs, violence in places like Mexico and South America and the huge prescription drug business have all contributed to changing the scene considerably since Keith was king of it.

peace

Thank you for explaining. But yeah I understand that drugs and all that were kind of seen as a way of life for rockers in the 60's-80's. Same with smoking, my understanding is that men just smoked during that time.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 21, 2015 00:28

The only thing that concerns me about his use of drugs would be for the many people he dragged down with him. Not just his inner circle but also his fans. He made the junky guitar player appear to be adventurous/glamorous ect,..In reality many people suffered as a direct result.

Please, spare me the 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it" theory.

Most of read life and we know now without a doubt what a complete A-hole Keith is. I guess when you reach that level of fame and have so many "Yes" people blowing smoke up your butt that he came to believe he's above it all.

I remember years ago Sir Paul came out to the press that he believed that smoking pot and doing drugs were a bad choice. My dad said to me "sure that because his kids are at the age when there going offered drugs, he didn't care years ago when it was other peoples kids......So when Keiths daughter got arrested with pills I'm sure many people thought it was poetic justice.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home