Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: No Security
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:26

Someday we'll get a live DVD from the No Security Tour and this CD will be forgotten. Hell, it doesn't even represent the No Security Tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:34

Either of those would've been a better cover.

Great live album. Unfortunately it's tainted with Dave Matthews ruining Memory Motel, a limp performance of Respectable and a pedestrian The Last Time (one of the only two tracks to be previously featured on other live albums, which the tepid Live With Me is the other).

Other than that it's a stellar. And it does indeed sound fantastic. I thought LIVE LICKS sounded great too - mix wise.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:34

but the Tour represents the CD. No Security Loop

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:41

This album would have benefited from being a double cd.
Many of the warhorses reached their peak in therms of musical performance on the BTB-tour. Namely: Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction.

Bridges To Babylon with No Security extension and the Licks tour was arguably the 3 best tours of the Stones ''Vegas Era''. All three tours deserves much better live documents than they got.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:43

GasLightStreet
No way it could be a stellar album due to the following reasons
- only 1 song that could be called a warhorse
- MT did not play on it
winking smiley

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: April 11, 2015 01:46

TheBlockbuster

''Gimme Shelter'' (when Lisa still could sing)

Amen to that

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:55

treaclefingers
stones2000
Hi. I was hoping I could get some info on the "No Security" album. I was trying to find a copy, but Amazon only has 1 copy under about $50...is it a rare album or something? None of my other Stones albums have been anywhere near that much money. Thanks!

Great album, lovely collection of tunes not often featured on live albums.

Are you referring to the vinyl or cd? I know the vinyl can be quite pricey, but didn't think the CD was selling at such a premium.

I was referring to the CD version.There's a record/CD shop near me that has almost every Stones album, they just might have a copy. I'll have to call them up. Thanks for the advice!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: April 11, 2015 08:18

To take a quote from Leonioid on the previous page, why should someone from,even Australia, go to Austria to interview the guy on the cover.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 11, 2015 10:09

My problem with this album is that I never get the feeling that I'm listening to a real concert. It are just loose songs that are haphazardly put in succession.
That said, the quality is super and for me, someone from Holland, who attended a couple of Amsterdam Arena shows, it's great to have 6 songs from the Dutch concerts on it.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: April 11, 2015 11:12

whiskey
To take a quote from Leonioid on the previous page, why should someone from,even Australia, go to Austria to interview the guy on the cover.

lol, the distance is 14000 km / 8800 miles

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 11, 2015 13:18

I got the one from Japan with bonus I Just Wanna Make Love To You back in the day. Very true Matthews ruins Memory Motel, as with most guests.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 11, 2015 14:06

Great album: I love it.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 11, 2015 14:09

Great songlist from one the band's best tours, the sound is a bit too polished. MM and TLT suck, the Babylon songs are fantastic. YGMR is much better than the studio version.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 11, 2015 14:35

This is the Stones at their live peak.
The whole band sounds like a steady freight train ready to run you over.
These live recordings easily outshine all the overrated 1972-73 performances with an out of breath Jagger and the always so bored Taylor .

Date: April 11, 2015 15:02

You must be joking!
From all the Vegas tours the BtB tour was the most boring of all.
The band itself was way better between '69-82 and even between '89-95 and '99-2003. The tour which was named after this album is a lot better the album itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 15:17 by GJV.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: April 11, 2015 15:33

tomcasagranda
Great album: I love it.
I agree and I think the Bridge to Babylon tour was a lot of fun and a golden time to be a Stone fan. The Stones had new albums coming out more often and they toured backing them up, played the new songs. Ticket prices were more affordable and traveling was easier. Back then when you paid a scalper $300-400 you got 1st-5th row center not like today's $300+ face value ticket in the baloney. And starting with the Bridges to Babylon tour the internet was finally up and running and supplying us with better information, like never before. The band was in great shape and all the songs, all of the great great Stones songs, did I mention all the great Stones songs.

Date: April 11, 2015 15:39

GJV
You must be joking!
The band itself was way better between '69-82 and even between '89-95 and '99-2003. The tour which was named after this album is a lot better the album itself.

I respect your opinion but how can you really say 89-95 was better than 97-98?? 89-95 tours both suffered from too clean guitar sound and lukewarm singing by Mick. Their sound was very Vegas-ish
In 1997 we got more distorted guitars and a more raw performance from the band.
However I agree on many 1999-2003 shows being better than the BTB-shows.
What was so boring about the BTB tour?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 15:44 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2015 15:45

yeababyyea
This is the Stones at their live peak.
The whole band sounds like a steady freight train ready to run you over.
These live recordings easily outshine all the overrated 1972-73 performances with an out of breath Jagger and the always so bored Taylor .

I don't know you anymore.

Date: April 11, 2015 15:58

yeababyyea
GJV
You must be joking!

I respect your opinion but how can you really say 89-95 was better than 97-98?? 89-95 tours both suffered from too clean guitar sound and lukewarm singing by Mick. Their sound was very Vegas-ish

How I remember it is that the Voodoo Lounge tour had more rough quitarsound and a more cool setlist with Monkeyman, rocks off, Heartbreaker, Street fighting man etc and that with the BtB tour the Stones became more and more the "Chuck Levell Play it Safe" touring band, which they still are today. I almost never listen to a concert of the BtB tour. When I think of the RS Vegas concerts I think off the BtB tour. But, hey, it's just a (one) opinion ofcourse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 15:59 by GJV.

Date: April 11, 2015 16:09

GJV
yeababyyea
GJV
You must be joking!

How I remember it is that the Voodoo Lounge tour had more rough quitarsound and a more cool setlist with Monkeyman, rocks off, Heartbreaker, Street fighting man etc and that with the BtB tour the Stones became more and more the "Chuck Levell Play it Safe" touring band, which they still are today. I almost never listen to a concert of the BtB tour. When I think of the RS Vegas concerts I think off the BtB tour. But, hey, it's just a (one) opinion ofcourse.

Re-watch the 1997 St. Louis pay-per-view concert, in my opinion the best latter-day concert released officially. And Keith's guitar sound is rough as hell!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 16:10 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2015 20:22

Run with me here...

I think the biggest problem with No Security, and that tour and the Bridges one, is that by this point the Stones had been Vegas for 10 years. Even if they were the best they'd ever been, it'd become old. I think thats why I revisit that period so little. It was perhaps their peak in terms of playing during this Vegas era and the time they were actually switching it up the most and trying to add some fire. But I was just bored by the band at this point. We'd had some subpar records at that point (the most recent being the lowest of the low), a couple live recordings. It just seemed like the Stones were boring at a time when they were perhaps the most exciting at this age.

Maybe thats just me, but its a weird sort of time and reasoning. But I think particularly with their releases (less so the tours and live performances) it was just "blah." I got reinvigorated with Licks and the whole nostalgia aspect, but all the time before that I was being bored by the idea of the Rolling Stones. Hence its become a period I rarely revisit. Does that make sense at all or does anyone else feel that way?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 11, 2015 21:56

RollingFreak
Run with me here...

I think... does anyone else feel that way?
Not me, but I dont get bored too easily. I thought it was a lot of fun. We saw a several shows on both tours (BTB and NS) and it was all a lot of fun and everyone I encountered at all of the shows seemed to be having a blast. I did not notice any bored people from Chicago to LA to St Louis

But I still wonder why the blacked out the audience at the live taping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 22:03 by Leonioid.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2015 00:11

The album is okay, but not great!
From the BTB and NS tours they could have done a much better release.This was just cobbled together

Reg. the cover they did lots of fan pics on that tour.A friend and his wife & daughter were photographed as well and had to sign a paper that the pics could be used in the future.I remember a Jagger interview where he mentioned going through hundreds of those pics.

Date: April 12, 2015 01:23

Here's the eBay link (here). I see copies as cheap as $4.00 here... Pick a copy up if you can, it's a nice one (aside from Dave Matthews... winking smiley ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 01:24 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Date: April 12, 2015 01:37

Looking back the BTB dates glory days gone by and smiling BIG,
These were some good days, we had the time of our lives over and over

Which shows did people go to? www.iorr.org/tour97/index.htm

I was in Chicago at the start and in St Louis at the end and
several shows in the middle. This was back when they still did proper N.A. tours.

Date Venue City/State Confirmed? On sale? Status
Sept. 23, 25 Soldier Field Chicago, IL CONFIRMED Aug. 23 Limited
Sept. 27 Ohio Stadium Columbus, Ohio CONFIRMED Aug. 23 On sale
Sept. 30 Winnipeg Stadium Winnipeg, Canada CONFIRMED Aug. 23 On sale
Oct. 2 Commonwealth Stadium Edmonton, Canada CONFIRMED Aug. 23 On sale
October 6 Camp Randall Stadium Madison, Wis. CONFIRMED Aug. 23 On sale
October 8 Rich Stadium Buffalo CONFIRMED Sept. 6 Sprint
Oct 10 The Hippodrome de Quebec Quebec City, Canada CANCELLED Sept. 6
Oct 10 Ericsson Stadium Charlotte, NC CONFIRMED Sep 19 10am No Sprint
Oct. 12 Veterans Stadium Philadelphia, PA CONFIRMED Sept. 6 Sprint
Oct 14 Club gig (MTV live) N.Y. area ??? CANCELLED
Oct. 16, 17 Giants Stadium NY/New Jersey CONFIRMED Sept 6 Sprint
Oct. 20, 21 Foxboro Stadium, Boston, MA CONFIRMED Sept 15 10am 2nd date
Oct. 23 Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, Washington, DC CONFIRMED Sept 6 Sprint
Oct 25 Capitol Theatre Port Chester, NY CONFIRMED
Oct. 26 Vanderbilt Stadium Nashville, TN CONFIRMED Sept. 6 Sprint
Oct 28 Owen Field Norman, Oklahoma CONFIRMED Aug. 23 On sale
Oct. 30 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM CONFIRMED Sept 13 8am Sprint Sept 2
Nov. 1 Texas Motor Speedway Fort Worth, TX CONFIRMED Sept 20 10am Sprint Sept 16
Nov. 7 Sun Devil Stadium Tempe, AZ CONFIRMED Sep 27 Sprint Sep 15
Nov. 9, 10 Dodger Stadium Los Angeles, CA CONFIRMED Sept 27 10am Sprint Sept 15
Nov. 14,15,18,19 Oakland Coliseum Stadium Oakland, CA CONFIRMED Oct 5 Sprint Sept 29
Nov. 22 MGM Grand Garden Las Vegas, NV CONFIRMED Oct 4 Sprint Sep 29
Nov. 25 HHH Metrodome Minneapolis, MN CONFIRMED Oct. 4 Sprint Sept. 29
Nov. 28 Kingdome Seattle, WA CONFIRMED Oct 4 Sprint Sep 23
Dec. 2 Silver Dome Detroit, MI CONFIRMED Oct 4 Sprint Sep 23
Dec. 5 Orange Bowl Stadium Miami, FL CONFIRMED Oct 4 Sprint Sep 24
Dec. 7 Citrus Bowl Orlando, FL CONFIRMED Oct. 25 Sprint Oct 16
Dec. 9 Georgia Dome Atlanta, GA CONFIRMED Oct 4 Sprint Sep 23
Dec. 12 TWA Dome St. Louis CONFIRMED Oct. 10 Sprint Oct. 1

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: April 12, 2015 01:44

Just gave the Japanese version a listen for the first time in so many years - and yes, it really is a great listen. I thought Mick's idea of releasing a live record of rarely (I believe he said at the time "never released live before) released live songs was a brilliant move. The cover was dreadful and probably put many potential buyers off, but its a great release. I never liked the studio version of Saint Of Me, but the live version cooks. Thief In The Night is a terrific groove. Memory Motel is one of my all time favorites and I would've preferred all the verses and no Dave Matthews, but it's still a great version. Gimme Shelter is very strong as is Corinna, Waiting ON A Friend and a very welcome Sister Morphine. Out of Control is an absolute classic. Literally a late day "Midnight Rambler" type epic that is just stupendous. Weakest tracks are The Last Time, actually ruined by Charlie who rocks it straight as opposed to swinging it like the original version - strange tempo. Respectable is good but doesn't have the danger of the '78 version. And even a pedestrian song like Flip The Switch rocks well. No Security is a great companion listen to the other great Stones live albums - Get Your Ya Yas Out and Stripped (and I have a soft spot for Love You Live too).

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2015 01:55

Keith comment made me think how great it would be if we had YaYa's in NS recording quality . .

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 12, 2015 05:17

one week ago finally got the LP, now this topic is open, Great Live Album, my favorite before YA-YAs, just because i see the Stones for first time on B2B tour...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 12, 2015 05:43

This album is not too shabby at all. This thread inspired me to give it another listen. Its fun. No its not Ya-ya's, They did a nice good job though of putting together something representing where they were at the time. I think its for Stones fans. I wouldn't recommend it to someone just getting into the band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 05:48 by ryanpow.

Date: April 12, 2015 06:02

rogerriffin
one week ago finally got the LP, now this topic is open, Great Live Album, my favorite before YA-YAs, just because i see the Stones for first time on B2B tour...

NICE!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home