Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: No Security
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2015 16:38

CousinC
The album is okay, but not great!
From the BTB and NS tours they could have done a much better release.This was just cobbled together.

Do you have LIVE LICKS? Because what you just said explains LL, not NS, regarding it being cobbled together. The biggest problem with NS is it's not long enough - or a double. It would've worked great as a double.

The problem with LL is it's a double - only disc 2 is the reason to buy it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2015 19:51

I'd say most Stones live albums after YAYa's are more or less cobbled together.NS as well - from at least 5 diff. performances and track listing being a bit odd.
I didn't mean it technically like LL's Rocks off disaster.
And yeah, they could have done better.

Reg. LL - I like parts of it. From both discs . .

Date: April 13, 2015 16:55

It's weird how they do that - take recordings from so many different shows and then make a live album. Obviously someone didn't like song A from show 1 so... but they end up doing so many overdubs why would it matter.

GYYYO is four shows
LYL is 10 shows, maybe more - I gave up counting
STILL LIFE is 7
FLASHPOINT is 9
NO SECURITY is 7
LIVE LICKS is 5

Date: April 13, 2015 17:11

GasLightStreet
It's weird how they do that - take recordings from so many different shows and then make a live album. Obviously someone didn't like song A from show 1 so... but they end up doing so many overdubs why would it matter.

GYYYO is four shows
STILL LIFE is 7
FLASHPOINT is 9
NO SECURITY is 7
LIVE LICKS is 5

Got Live If You Want It EP - 2 shows
Got Live If You Want it LP - 3 shows
The Brussels Affair - 2 shows
Live In England '65 - 2 shows?

The rest are just one show live albums, though. Many of them are also considerably better than their contemporaries, imo.

LA 75
Live In Texas 78
Hampton 81
Leeds 82
Tokyo 90
Light The Fuse 05

Date: April 13, 2015 17:21

stones2000
Hi. I was hoping I could get some info on the "No Security" album. I was trying to find a copy, but Amazon only has 1 copy under about $50...is it a rare album or something? None of my other Stones albums have been anywhere near that much money. Thanks!

I would go with the version from Japan. It has a great live version of "IJWMLTY" as a bonus track.

Copies start at around $ 13 used or $ 48 new (total prices adding in shipping) on Amazon :

* [www.amazon.com] * .

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 13, 2015 19:28

Winning Ugly VXII
stones2000
Hi. I was hoping I could get some info on the "No Security" album. I was trying to find a copy, but Amazon only has 1 copy under about $50...is it a rare album or something? None of my other Stones albums have been anywhere near that much money. Thanks!

I would go with the version from Japan. It has a great live version of "IJWMLTY" as a bonus track.

Copies start at around $ 13 used or $ 48 new (total prices adding in shipping) on Amazon :

* [www.amazon.com] * .

Oh thanks! I'll check it out

Date: April 14, 2015 18:39

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

GYYYO is four shows
STILL LIFE is 7
FLASHPOINT is 9
NO SECURITY is 7
LIVE LICKS is 5

The rest are just one show live albums, though. Many of them are also considerably better than their contemporaries, imo.

LA 75
Live In Texas 78
Hampton 81
Leeds 82
Tokyo 90
Light The Fuse 05

Well, specifically, the "official" live albums. GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT includes studio recordings with audience overdubs... their biggest offending "live" album, right off the top!

Date: April 14, 2015 18:53

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

GYYYO is four shows
STILL LIFE is 7
FLASHPOINT is 9
NO SECURITY is 7
LIVE LICKS is 5

LA 75
Live In Texas 78
Hampton 81
Leeds 82
Tokyo 90
Light The Fuse 05

Well, specifically, the "official" live albums. GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT includes studio recordings with audience overdubs... their biggest offending "live" album, right off the top!

Well, now they're official, too smiling smiley

Yeah, the studio recordings, inforgivable - that's why I prefer the two live EPs from that era.

Date: April 14, 2015 18:58

It's funny considering Keith's griping about 'record label demands' for compilations (SITS) and live albums - that wouldn't require overdubs if they wouldn't play so damn bad. All the work - compiling tracks, mixing, overdubbing, editing... videos... hype.

But since LIVE LICKS (and what a hilarious effort that one was - pictures of the video screen!!!) they've gone bonkers releasing live albums. Granted, without nearly the amount of work as the official live albums...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 14, 2015 19:42

Do we have a definite "overdubs & edits" list of No Security?

My impression is that there are not so many

C

Date: April 14, 2015 19:58

liddas

C

At least the acoustic guitar on Waiting On A Friend. I always thought Keith did that overdub. It's certainly not Mick.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 14, 2015 21:55

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

At least the acoustic guitar on Waiting On A Friend. I always thought Keith did that overdub. It's certainly not Mick.

compare to the bootleg version of st. louis. Mick clearly overdubbed the first verse

Date: April 14, 2015 22:05

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

compare to the bootleg version of st. louis. Mick clearly overdubbed the first verse

The vocals, you mean? The whole acoustic guitar track is overdubbed, but not by Mick.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:35

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

The vocals, you mean? The whole acoustic guitar track is overdubbed, but not by Mick.

Yes, I was talking about the redone vocals.
I did not pay that much attention on the acoustic guitar. Maybe the´re done by blondie?

Date: April 14, 2015 22:38

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Yes, I was talking about the redone vocals.
I did not pay that much attention on the acoustic guitar. Maybe the´re done by blondie?

Best case: Keith
Worst case: Pierre

I don't think Blondie played guitar on this tour, which was his first with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 22:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 15, 2015 00:35

I just listened to the video and the record of WOAF and... the acoustic sounds the same to me. But INDEED that front vocal is not live!

However there is an acoustic overdub on the LP version - listen to the stroke in the first 'I'm just standing in a doorway' - it's not on the live video.

Date: April 15, 2015 00:37

(Some!) edits and overdubs were done at
Studios Davout, Paris, France 22nd -24th July 1998.
- You Got Me Rocking (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 6.7.98
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Port Chester 25.10.97
- Flip The Switch (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 1.7.98
- Memory Motel (MJ/KR) -Dave Matthews on vocals; Amsterdam 5.7.98
- Corinna (Taj Mahal/Jesse Ed Davis) -Taj Mahal on vocals; St. Louis 12.12.97
- Saint Of Me (MJ/KR) -Buenos Aires 4.4.98
- Waiting On A Friend (MJ/KR) -Joshua Redman on sax; St. Louis 12.12.97
- Sister Morphine (MJ/KR/Marianne Faithfull) -Amsterdam 6.7.98
- Live With Me (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 1.7.98
- Respectable (MJ/KR) -Amsterdam 5.7.98
- Thief In The Night (MJ/KR/Pierre de Beauport) -Leah Wood on backing
vocals, Pierre de Beauport on electric piano; Nuremberg 13.6.98
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) -St. Louis 12.12.97
- Out Of Control (MJ/KR) -Jimmy Starbuck on shaker; Buenos Aires 4.4.98
Line-up: MJ (voc, gtr, harm)/KR (gtr, voc)/RW (gtr)/CW (dr)/Darryl Jones
(bass)/Bobby Keys (tsax)/Chuck Leavell (keyb, bvoc)/Lisa
Fischer and Bernard Fowler (bvoc, perc)/Blondie Chaplin (bvoc,
perc)/The New West Horns [Andy Snitzer (sax, keyb)/Michael
Davis (tb)/Kent Smith (tp)](brass)

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:40

Jaggers vocals sounds ''too'' good on some of the songs on this album.
''Respectable'' comes to mind where Jagger's voice sounds so much more in control than I've ever heard before, usually he just kind of screams the lyrics for Respectalbe. I might have to track down a bootleg to compare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 00:41 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: April 15, 2015 00:41

GasLightStreet
I just listened to the video and the record of WOAF and... the acoustic sounds the same to me. But INDEED that front vocal is not live!

However there is an acoustic overdub on the LP version - listen to the stroke in the first 'I'm just standing in a doorway' - it's not on the live video.

The whome track is overdubbed with typical Keith phrasing on the choruses. Mathijs claim thats others (Pierre?) did it. I think it was Keith.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:22

Chris M. made analisys of the CD long ago. But he did not mentioned a lot of overdubs
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
I gave a spin to the CD after reading this thread. And my opinion stays still - it is a great late days live CD with ups and downs. Japanese version is better for sure due to bonus track. Hey, I was in Nuremberg - that historic show when Keith did not smoke at all winking smiley

Date: April 15, 2015 01:27

It's a very good live album indeed. But it isn't Mick's guitar on WOAF grinning smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:53

Leonioid
peoplewitheyes
either way, it's a dreadful cover
I agree.
Sometimes I look at that cover and I say, go away ya damn lochness monsters I aint got no treefiddy!! And still, them two just looking at me, him puffing that cigarette getting ready to ask me again for treefiddy.

My sides hurt from laughing. Thanks Leonioid.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 15, 2015 17:29

Always interesting to go back to some of those albums you don't listen to too much.
Has some good stuff on it and some nice playing. Unfortunately it's not a real unity somehow.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:44

flacnvinyl
Leonioid
peoplewitheyes
either way, it's a dreadful cover
I agree.
Sometimes I look at that cover and I say, go away ya damn lochness monsters I aint got no treefiddy!! And still, them two just looking at me, him puffing that cigarette getting ready to ask me again for treefiddy.

My sides hurt from laughing. Thanks Leonioid.

I am glad someone "got it" Drake :D

Date: April 17, 2015 01:11

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

The whome track is overdubbed with typical Keith phrasing on the choruses. Mathijs claim thats others (Pierre?) did it. I think it was Keith.

HUH. Well, to my ears, it's Mick's acoustic - quite low in the mix on the LP - with an added acoustic overdub.

Date: April 17, 2015 01:17

Hm, do you hear two acoustic tracks? I'm gonna have to revisit it now.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 17, 2015 13:31

DandelionPowderman
Hm, do you hear two acoustic tracks? I'm gonna have to revisit it now.

The first (strumming) acoustic is Jagger. This track runs throughout the song, at times very low in the mix. Acoustic licks and fills that start after Jagger starts singing are overdubbed and, I agree, sound very Keithish to me!

Can't really compare Ronnie's part, because it is barely audible in the boot version.

C

Date: April 17, 2015 14:15

Here's WOAF from St. Louis – with and without overdubs. The first track is without overdubs. The other version starts round the 5:50-mark)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 14:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 17, 2015 14:50

I can't hear Mick's original guitar at all. It's replaced with a steady acoustic track.

And the licks round 6:55, 7:27, 8:24 and 8:29 were certainly not played by Mick. Keith even plays the same lick simultaneously on electric at 8:47 as the acoustic overdub does grinning smiley

It's Keith.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 17, 2015 15:30

i wish we had no security at my work

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1680
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home