Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: You have discovered a new band – Tell us about it!
Date: April 17, 2015 10:51

Now, this doesn't happen to me every day. Yesterday, I got a notification from one of the clubs I'm following on Facebook.

"This band blows every power trio you've ever heard out of the water". That line caught my eye, and I clicked the video the club used to promote the band. It was a band called "Bushman's Revenge", and they totally rocked – more than I thought a band I've never heard of in 2015 would. Way more.

Their music can be described as a rough mixture of Jimi Hendrix, Cream and King Crimson. A heavy mix - all instrumental - where the rhythm section constantly is chasing the guitar player, since a lot of what they're doing seems invented on the spot (they use gestures and mimicks when there were key changes etc)

Coincidentially, they had a show in Oslo yesterday, so I went down there and they tore the roof off the building.

What a great night and what a great discovery! thumbs up

An album cut:

A live clip:

Re: OT: You have discovered a new band – Tell us about it!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:03

This is what I call a real 'Hippie-band'...winking smiley

btw...they're very good, real groovy...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:06

I am confused, or can't count, but a trio is 3, but they have 4? Keyboards, drums, guitar, and bass. . . just saying, they should accurately advertise.

Sounds interesting!

Date: April 17, 2015 11:13

whitem8
I am confused, or can't count, but a trio is 3, but they have 4? Keyboards, drums, guitar, and bass. . . just saying, they should accurately advertise.

Sounds interesting!

The keyboard player was only guesting on the show in that video clip. On the show I attended there were only three smiling smiley

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:34

For a new-ish band you can't beat VINTAGE TROUBLE

Have seen them live 4 times......a wonderful band.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 11:35 by GuessWho.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 17, 2015 12:03

Truthfully, can't say that those guys did much for me. Mentioning them in the same breath as Jimi Hendrix or Cream well that's just absurd. Dandie are you feeling allright? Sure someone didn't slip something into your coffee this morning?

Ok I know to each their own, I'll counter with a couple new American bands when I have a bit more time. smoking smiley

peace

Date: April 17, 2015 12:05

Naturalust
Truthfully, can't say that those guys did much for me. Mentioning them in the same breath as Jimi Hendrix or Cream well that's just absurd. Dandie are you feeling allright? Sure someone didn't slip something into your coffee this morning?

Ok I know to each their own, I'll counter with a couple new American bands when I have a bit more time. smoking smiley

peace

They're totally in that soundscape, with a touch of jazz. The videos I posted were probably not the best examples, though. Check this one out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 12:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 17, 2015 12:05

I've been enjoying this one a lot, seeing them live too:

Rio Mezzanino

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 17, 2015 12:18

GuessWho

+1 from me GuessWho. I've seen them 7 times over the last 4 years all relatively small venues in London. Great stuff...not sure if they're ever gonna be HUGE but they seem to be making a living

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 17, 2015 18:14

not sure who the band is on this..

this is Rhiannon Giddens from her solo debut

the accordion on this ... love it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 18:53 by duke richardson.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: April 17, 2015 18:19

Oh, I may as well shamelessly post our new tune!!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 17, 2015 18:54

OK. I am too tired to describe the band properly. So... The guitar player is a beast. Don't pay attention to the cliché 90's imagery. Love their new bass player and the new poppy sound on their 2014 album. Again, Kenny is the bomb, the punk Johnny Marr. Vocals and drums are not always that great IMO but the guitarist is so stunning that I wouldn't mind if he played for Rihanna. I don't know how to call their sound... hardcore? pop? hardcore ? pop ? (just kidding) >grinning smiley<

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 17, 2015 19:32

At first I had to agree with Naturalust opinion about Bushman's Revenge. But after listening to a couple studio tracks I will say they're pretty good. Don't know if I love them yet though. But not bad at all.smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 17, 2015 21:44

What a great thread to start Bard.

Wish I had thought of it myself , cos there is so much great talent in all our own individual countrys of Stones fans on IORR.

Great musicians in Bushmans Revenge, but I do like it, but not my sort of music I would say Wow ! too, or buy a CD or DVD.

Given me the idea to look at my fave local bands and performers in my home town. smileys with beer

Date: April 17, 2015 21:48

GuessWho

Looking forward to Vintage Trouble as one of the support acts at The Who gig at Hyde Park June 26th.

Gonna be a great day and night out. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 17, 2015 22:22

El Radio Fantastique: SF bay Area - Really got to see them live...I did not discover them but I like them...

Waking The Dead [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 22:23 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 17, 2015 22:38

Don't know how new they are and I certainly didn't discover them, but I am loving The War on Drugs. Their CD Lost in a Dream was voted #1 pick on amazon for 2014 and it is amazing. Their prior Slave Ambient is equally as good.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 17, 2015 22:56

DEmerson
Don't know how new they are and I certainly didn't discover them, but I am loving The War on Drugs. Their CD Lost in a Dream was voted #1 pick on amazon for 2014 and it is amazing. Their prior Slave Ambient is equally as good.

And what do you think of the Sun Kil Moon album? A masterpiece, IMO.
Did you know that Mark Kozelek, the man who used to wrote melancholic songs such as Katy Song, wrote a song about the War On Drugs entitled "Suck My Cock"? What a curmudgeon, seriously. drinking smiley

Date: April 17, 2015 23:01

I know this guy , Adam Wedd from way back, and Ed Sheeran was in his band at times.

Also great acts that are on youtube that are local to me in SW London are Peter Bruntnell, 14 Cousins, Graham Foster, The Who, The Rolling Stones...................who are all gonna make it big one day.
Look at them on youtube if you get a chance. smileys with beer

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 17, 2015 23:15

try this. Benjamin Booker.

[www.youtube.com]

and this

[www.youtube.com]

a fine live performer too

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: April 17, 2015 23:45

Grainne Duffy from Ireland. Awesome!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 17, 2015 23:59

DEmerson

Listening to them now..they remind me of early Grateful Dead. There's nothing modern about them to my ears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home