Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Songs they've opened with a few times that they should give another shot
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:03

tomk
Let It Rock would be my vote, but it ain't gonna happen. 99% of the drunk, stoned kids didn't know it 1978 and 99% of the middle-aged folks drinking merlot and eating garlic fries won't know it in 2015.

Garlic. Fries? Madness.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:17

I'm setting the bar pretty low. Whatever they open with, Keith has to get the opening riff nailed! His Hyde Park Start Me Up messes linger in my memory, as well as a few subpar Brown Sugar openers from 2002. You don't want a stadium show starting with some clam that makes the whole building cringe.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 9, 2015 11:53

ab
I'm setting the bar pretty low. Whatever they open with, Keith has to get the opening riff nailed! His Hyde Park Start Me Up messes linger in my memory, as well as a few subpar Brown Sugar openers from 2002. You don't want a stadium show starting with some clam that makes the whole building cringe.

That is very true.

The is the right approach.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: April 9, 2015 13:29

Sticky Fingers tour might open with BS and Bitch.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:04

Brown Sugar will be the opener:

Sticky Fingers Reissue

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:43

Gomper

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:52

Bastion
I Wanna Be Your Man

This had the potential to be the best opener they've had since satisfaction on the btb tour but for some reason they didn't stick with it. It was cool when they did it but "there is a certain magic with repetition" as Mick himself once said. I would have liked to have seen this be a regular opener.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-11 03:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 04:00

Street Fighting Man!!

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 04:47

If they open with Brown Sugar on this tour I hope they do a shorter, more up-tempo version, a la the 72/73 tours

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2015 06:12

ryanpow
Bastion
I Wanna Be Your Man

This had the potential to be the best opener they've had since satisfaction on the btb tour but for some reason they didn't stick with it. It was cool when they did it but "there is a certain magic with repetition" as Mick himself once said. I would have liked to have seen this be a regular opener.
I don't know if it could have ever worked. It was cool because of what it means to their legacy, but they've just become so synonymous with the riff opener, and that didn't have it. Hell, when I saw them in 06 I saw them open with Its Only Rock And Roll and it didn't truly have the power and recognizable ability to truly open the show.

They've set a standard and it works. They've kind of designated themselves to having to open with something like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar. For the set they play, it just sets the mood off right. Stuff like Get Off My Cloud and I Wanna Be Your Man are cool, but they're different and don't truly work. The only songs I can think of off the top of my head that would work well to open and aren't guitar based are Honky Tonk Women and Sympathy. Let's Spend The Night Together too is a good one. But the best ones are usually the riff machines.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 12, 2015 04:55

RollingFreak
ryanpow
Bastion
I Wanna Be Your Man

I don't know if it could have ever worked. It was cool because of what it means to their legacy, but they've just become so synonymous with the riff opener, and that didn't have it. Hell, when I saw them in 06 I saw them open with Its Only Rock And Roll and it didn't truly have the power and recognizable ability to truly open the show.

They've set a standard and it works. They've kind of designated themselves to having to open with something like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar. For the set they play, it just sets the mood off right. Stuff like Get Off My Cloud and I Wanna Be Your Man are cool, but they're different and don't truly work. The only songs I can think of off the top of my head that would work well to open and aren't guitar based are Honky Tonk Women and Sympathy. Let's Spend The Night Together too is a good one. But the best ones are usually the riff machines.

I don't think GOMC is a good choice for an opener. IWBYM was different and it worked. I guess it doesn't start out with a riff.. but so what. It helps build the energy level. Every tour had an opening song that became part of the identity and vibe of the tour and helped set it apart from the last one. That kinda ended after the Licks tour. they could have brought that back.

This could use a little tightening up, but I see a band here trying something new. Its a dynamic performance:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 05:00 by ryanpow.

Date: April 12, 2015 04:57

SATISFACTION...get that out of the way and let the show go on!!
It has become the obligatory yawner over the last 13 years and leaves nothing to the imagination...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 12, 2015 06:29

Worst opener ever:

Let It Rock (just a terrible song that nobody knew then and now)

Worst idea for an opener:

Get Off My Cloud (it sounded atrocious on recent tours)

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 4, 2015 11:44

Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 4, 2015 14:13

nonfilter
Not Fade Away

[www.non-filters.com]

YES!!!!!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 4, 2015 15:54

I'm Yours, She's Mine a la Hyde Park '69.

Date: May 4, 2015 15:57

The Sicilian
Worst opener ever:

Let It Rock (just a terrible song that nobody knew then and now)

Worst idea for an opener:

Get Off My Cloud (it sounded atrocious on recent tours)

I bet the people attending the 1971 shows knew it...

Probably a couple of Chuck fans who attend Stones shows as well?

Date: May 4, 2015 15:58

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 16:15

RawIguanaCologne
They opened with MIDNIGHT RAMBLER once, didnĀ“t they?

In Australia?
Yup, I believe they did. That's kinda blowing your wad too early though, isn't it?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 16:17

UndercoverLovingcup
SATISFACTION...get that out of the way and let the show go on!!
It has become the obligatory yawner over the last 13 years and leaves nothing to the imagination...
They did it on the B2B tour in 1997, and it worked pretty well I think.

Keith walked out first by himself to the foot of the stage in his floor-length leopard-print pimp jacket and shades, fireballs shot out of the video frame over his head, and he launched into the riff.

I thought it was pretty goddamned epic.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 20:21

Under My Thumb 1981 and Not Fade Away 1994 are still the best ones for me. Really no need to start the show with a warhorse.

Pete.

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: May 4, 2015 20:35

Street Fighting Man!

Date: May 4, 2015 21:00

Father Ted
If this tour is all about celebrating Sticky Fingers, then Brown Sugar would be the one.

X2 for sure.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 4, 2015 21:26

For what's it worth, in no particular order: Mona, Around and Around, GOMC, SFTD, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, One Hit to The Body (off beat, totally unexpected, but cranked loud enough, a kickass starter), Love Is Strong (another one to crank up),
The Last Time.

Then there's the perverse side of me which says, since the Stones have done cover songs, why not really throw folks for a loop and kick it off with a cover of "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. I hear Keith and Ronnie trading licks now on this one. It'd get the show off to a wild start. Follow this right after with a cover of "Like A Rolling Stone" then kick into Stones music, some of Mister Berry's stuff and a closing song that says it all for many of us, "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 5, 2015 01:28

on with the show

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: May 5, 2015 03:29

I'd like to see Street Fighting Man as the opener. Great rockin' tune!

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 5, 2015 03:33

I fear a Brown Sugar opener as sometimes Keith botches the beginning, In 2013 at the 4 shows I went to I held my breath each time.

My favorite opener was Not Fade Away -- they would never do that now. It's too outside the box.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 5, 2015 04:32

Start me up is the song more suited to open the concert.
In 1994-95, however, Not Fade Away was fantastic!

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home