Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:53

Hi. I'm considering buying Bridges to Babylon, but I was hoping I could get some advice on the album from other users. What do you think of the album? Thanks

Re: Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:55

It be a good one.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:56

I think that Btb is their best album of 90s

Date: March 27, 2015 21:59

Thanks for your input, MingSubu. I have a read a good number of negative reviews though...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:00

Considering buying it? How can you live without it? Buy it, play it loud, and see you on tour this summer!

I mean, this is what I wrote about the album in 1997, and I do still mean it, every word:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:03

BV is right, as always.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:07

Great album. They played two of my favorite songs off of it "Might as Well Get Juiced" and "Thief in the Night" at the MSG show featured on the excellent Crystal Cat bootleg "Sweet Home New York City"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:21

<<I was hoping I could get some advice on the album>>

The best advice is not to let the negative reviews of people you don't even know spoil what might be enjoyable to you. Only you will the one to decide if you really like it.

Myself, I think it is, overall, the strongest of their post-Tattoo You albums.

Date: March 27, 2015 22:27

There is something for everyone on B2B. A very varied album with some great songs, some good ones and a couple of clunkers.

Best song: How Can I Stop

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:55

buy it, listen to it 10 times, put in on your shelf, forget about it, rediscover it in ten years, listen to it once or twice and put it back onto your shelf

Date: March 27, 2015 23:07

Thanks everybody for all the advice! I'm going to get it soon. It's one of the few I'm missing.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:15

Over-produced. Should have been better.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:19

BtB is fantastic. A breath of fresh air it was in 1997!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:22

Umm, it's just not. It's OK and overproduced like Steel Wheels PLUS they blew it as they had better songs they decide not to include

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:25

I love this album, some songs were better live, like Saint Of Me and Flip The Switch. It sounds fresh indeed, and actually less outdated (if that word is appropriate when talking about the Stones) than A Bigger Bang is, when listening to it nowadays.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:30

What's the song where they used Brian Jones' drum recordings from Tibet or somewhere else exotic? I worked a little on that song, merging the analog tapes with some of the prerecorded Brian stuff which they had transferred to a digital format. Everyone was very into the whole thing.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:38

Go out and buy it.

Favourites:

Already over me (anybody else than Stones playing - would have been a #1)

Low down great song, great grove

Saint of me - no need to mention.

Already over me could have been played live instead of Angie....

Low down sounds great live - with more practice....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:49

Meh...sandwiched in between two great works of art (Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang).

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:55

Love the album. Anybody seen my baby, Already over me, Saint of me, Out of control and Too tight are highlights for me. Too many Keith-vocal-tracks on Bridges, but otherwise a very strong album.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:56

I'm a fairly young Stones fan (I'm 33), and this album came out when I was 15. I was just beginning to delve into my lengthy journey of discovering classic rock. Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, etc… all this great music just waiting for me. I saw the video for "Anybody seen my baby" on VH1, and that really got me started on the Stones. I bought that compilation album of 1964-1971, whatever it was called, and that's when I became obsessed! I tried to get my parents to take me to the 1997 Columbus show, but they wouldn't. Then BTB came out. I must have played that record 100 times. Yes, I knew the classics were better, but there was something about it that just kept me coming back. It was a coming of age record for me. I still love listening to it.

Don't let the reviews influence your decision. It's all about how it hits you.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:14

mtaylor
Go out and buy it.

The problem with this version, is Mick Jaggers vocals, in the studio version he sings the lyrics with much more attitude which makes all the difference.

Date: March 28, 2015 00:21

podiumboy
I'm a fairly young Stones fan (I'm 33), and this album came out when I was 15. I was just beginning to delve into my lengthy journey of discovering classic rock. Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, etc… all this great music just waiting for me. I saw the video for "Anybody seen my baby" on VH1, and that really got me started on the Stones. I bought that compilation album of 1964-1971, whatever it was called, and that's when I became obsessed! I tried to get my parents to take me to the 1997 Columbus show, but they wouldn't. Then BTB came out. I must have played that record 100 times. Yes, I knew the classics were better, but there was something about it that just kept me coming back. It was a coming of age record for me. I still love listening to it.

Don't let the reviews influence your decision. It's all about how it hits you.

Oh thank you for the advice!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:23

Just buy it and let your ears do the listening ... you'll know

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:24

EasterMan
mtaylor
Go out and buy it.

The problem with this version, is Mick Jaggers vocals, in the studio version he sings the lyrics with much more attitude which makes all the difference.

The usual dilemma for MJ - a consert being a fitness trip or a vocal experience!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:32

For a list price of $14 and a bargain price of $11, it's hardly worth a second thought. It's probably the best record since Some Girls. Not in the same league as Beggar's banquet through Exile but what music is?

peace

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:33

By the way, if you spend your time on a Stones forum, where fans of the Stones spend their time, and you wonder if you should invest something like 10 dollars or Euro on an original Stones album, and this band do only release like one album every five or ten years, and the cost of that album i.e. 10 dollars or pounds is the same as the cost of two or three beers, then I think you are fooling around here, really.

Bjornulf

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:38

bv
By the way, if you spend your time on a Stones forum, where fans of the Stones spend their time, and you wonder if you should invest something like 10 dollars or Euro on an original Stones album, and this band do only release like one album every five or ten years, and the cost of that album i.e. 10 dollars or pounds is the same as the cost of two or three beers, then I think you are fooling around here, really.

Uh-huh...it's worth it for Flip The Switch alone.winking smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:48

Naturalust
For a list price of $14 and a bargain price of $11, it's hardly worth a second thought. It's probably the best record since Some Girls. Not in the same league as Beggar's banquet through Exile but what music is?

peace

thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:50

Two solo albums mediated by Don Was and forced onto the same piece of plastic. But hey, get it and make up your own mind.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:52

bv

Agree, I ran my old copy through a ''disc repair'' machine which scratched it to unplayable, so I bought a new copy for 3 Euros at a record fair. But I still admire the fact that stones2000 is about to buy this album instead of just grabbing the nearest torrent.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home