Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: Petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 24, 2015 03:10

stupidguy2
'Surely not to their fans, with whom by all accounts they have been exceedingly warm and gracious, far more so than most rock stars...'

Surely, you jest

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 24, 2015 03:11

Not yet, treacle, clean-up still in progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-24 03:12 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2015 03:17

Aquamarine
Not yet, treacle, clean-up still in progress.

ok, nothing to lose your head over!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 24, 2015 08:15

treaclefingers
Aquamarine
I give up. I'll just say that many things about this thread are extremely ill-informed, and that begins with the object of everyone's wrath. Having reached the argument that it's close-minded to be open-minded, my brain exploded. Peace out, friends.

Well that's too bad, and by way of observation, I'd just like to say that it sounds like you're REALLY open minded now.

Great one.

Date: March 24, 2015 08:24

Dreamer
stupidguy2
Dreamer
stupidguy2
RomanCandle
Anyway, almost all your criticisms about rap music could be applied to rock music, deal with it! Just noise, unsophisticated, repetitive , consumerist and so one. No guitars? (Captain Kirk Douglas, anyone?). Big deal! The instrument I like the most is the cello but I don't cry each time there's no cello on a rock record. Or "No one plays viola da gamba anymore, how sad!" See Hubert Le Blanc wrote a treatise against the increasing popularity of cello and violin, in defense of the viola da gamba.

Didn't Sinatra used to refer rock and roll as music made by 'cretins'? or somehing to that effect.
Same difference, and I challenge anyone to tell me that was different. Oh, it was different because you like rock and roll.
But rap, on the other hand. Well, it just sucks because it sucks
There has always been a certain hard-headed arrogance within the rock fan culture toward 'otherness'. I grew with it, around it, and hated it. This is why I used to hide my Chic albums in the closet when musician friends would come over (this was the early 80s, when the backlash against it was still at its meatheaded zenith). I didn't want to have to explain it because they were never going to try and understand it.
People have a right to not like a style of music, or think it's trash, but when they act like their upholding some righteous stand for Good Music, its absurd and yes, narrow-minded.
It's like when Stones fans defend Stones fans booing Prince for being...Prince. I've seen so many excuses for that and they're all just that: excuses for intolerance.
Amazing, especially considering the fact that the Stones, more than any other popular band, personify musical diversity and inclusiveness.
That's why it surprises me to see it here.

Check KW's intolerance in the video U2Stonesfan posted. I'm sure there are some other examples of that available on the web.

When people behave like that I don't wanna listen to their music: to me music is an experience in which the person(s) (their personality) who made it play such a significant role I can't neglect that.
That doesn't make me narrow minded or against diversity. Geez ever thought of the possibility that maybe the people who just go for his music and don't care what kind of guy he is are the narrow minded ones??
I mean are you the professor here? Do you and jrcjohnny run a truth factory?
You guys are so happy with how inclusive you say you are...the both of you breath an unhealthy form of moral superiority.

So you only listen to artists who don't do things you disapprove of?
That's a pretty narrow frame of reference.

You just wanna exclude and prove your moral superiority. You ask me a question and you answer it yourself: how many other frames do you need?
It's not about what I approve or don't approve: I approve anything and I don't approve everything.
It makes you happy using the word narrow again, suggesting my 'frame of reference is narrow'. We really are getting somewhere with you guys...

yeah sure, would be better to argue about his music...... I'm ready

Date: March 24, 2015 08:49

stupidguy2
RomanCandle
Anyway, almost all your criticisms about rap music could be applied to rock music, deal with it! Just noise, unsophisticated, repetitive , consumerist and so one. No guitars? (Captain Kirk Douglas, anyone?). Big deal! The instrument I like the most is the cello but I don't cry each time there's no cello on a rock record. Or "No one plays viola da gamba anymore, how sad!" See Hubert Le Blanc wrote a treatise against the increasing popularity of cello and violin, in defense of the viola da gamba.

Didn't Sinatra used to refer rock and roll as music made by 'cretins'? or somehing to that effect.
Same difference, and I challenge anyone to tell me that was different. Oh, it was different because you like rock and roll.
But rap, on the other hand. Well, it just sucks because it sucks.
There has always been a certain hard-headed arrogance within the rock fan culture toward 'otherness'. I grew with it, around it, and hated it. This is why I used to hide my Chic albums in the closet when musician friends would come over (this was the early 80s, when the backlash against it was still at its meatheaded zenith). I
didn't want to have to explain it because they were never going to try and understand it.
People have a right to not like a style of music, or think it's trash, but when they act like their upholding some righteous stand for Good Music, its absurd and yes, narrow-minded.
It's like when Stones fans defend Stones fans booing Prince for being...Prince. I've seen so many excuses for that and they're all just that: excuses for intolerance.
Amazing, especially considering the fact that the Stones, more than any other popular band, personify musical diversity and inclusiveness.
That's why it surprises me to see it here.

Before I was born, some newspapers such as Le Figaro used to write articles about how "dumb" the rock'n'roll culture was. Dumb music for dumb young people, all that condescending stuff. As it was a threat for the non-Anglo Saxon classical culture. Now they often write articles about rock music, how weird!

See I don't get the "us against them" attitude when it comes to music, like Italian vs French, German vs French, Anglo-Saxon vs French or even rap music vs rock music. To me assuming that kids don't know real music anymore because of rap music is like saying kids don't know how to read novels anymore because they read cartoons or something similar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-24 23:30 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 24, 2015 08:51

We can think what we want on this. But this guy is hugely popular among the young ones today. Whether we like it or not. And festivals mostly attracts the young public.
Not old farts like us. We tend to visit Rolling Stones concerts...

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 24, 2015 10:31

Aquamarine
I give up. I'll just say that many things about this thread are extremely ill-informed, and that begins with the object of everyone's wrath. Having reached the argument that it's close-minded to be open-minded, my brain exploded. Peace out, friends.

Concerning his music I'm as 'open-minded' as you are and I stated this about the petition:
Unfortunately the petition is just about the music and therefore I can't sign or support it.
But you are far from being open-minded when you say "not caring what kind of guy he is is as as it should be"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2015 22:37

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 24, 2015 23:24

Grandma gave dog lung cancer? That's awful! eye popping smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home