Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Over 50,000 people have now signed petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2015 23:54

treaclefingers
jrcjohnny99
Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman
People buy tickets to Glasto without knowing who's playing so it's a gamble. The petition will never be taken seriously because anyone can sign. I don't care for him but he'll probably do quite well with the younger audience members.

True. This morning, I was watching Dolly Parton at Glastonbury 14....
The whole point of the festival, in my understanding, is diversity.

Absolutely, Glastonbury has always been a festival of inclusion; this guy starting the petition is an idiot and notably has never been to Glastonbury in his life.
I'd also add that anyone signing this is just as narrow minded and sad.
Whether you like Kanye or not (and it's a shame he doesn't get judged on his music as much as his personality) surely all Stones fans should understand how important musical diversity is? or all we just like the @#$%& who booed Prince at the Stones shows in 81 (who probably all went out and bought Purple Rain 3 years later)

It's not a bad start that you describe Glasto "a festival of inclusion."
But calling people narrow minded who think K's behaviour is ridiculous and don't want to see him at Glasto, and calling other people an idiot and @#$%&...does all of that make you a poster of inclusion?

Firstly this petition is not about Kanye's behavior; the guy specifically states he only wants 'guitar bands' at the festival, so yeah, that falls under the 'narrow minded' banner.
Secondly, anyone who boos an artist doing his job deserves the '@#$%&' tag.
If you don't like someone's music that fine, go off and do something else while they're on stage, behaving like a 5 year old is not deserving of any respect.
I think it's sad that fans of a band like the Stones whose own influences are so diverse would be so blind to talented musicians that are outside the standard 'rock' format.

Totally agree with you...kind of like the way Kanye dismissed Beck and Taylor Swift.

But again, there needs to be a distinction made between the man's music and his behavior. (He apologized to both of them, FWIW.) Being a d*ck doesn't make someone a bad artist, in fact it's practically a prerequite! grinning smiley

I'm with jrcjohnny99, anyway. thumbs up

Re: OT: Over 50,000 people have now signed petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 21, 2015 00:06

In the words of the great Greg Allman..."rap is crap". The fact that rappers and/or hip-hop artists are in the rock and roll hall of fame completely ruins it for me. I mean come on, would they ever even consider inducting any rock act into the HipHop Hall of Fame? I don't think so.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 21, 2015 00:39

I'd rather listen to this
video: [m.youtube.com]

than any songs by the Guns N Roses or Noel Gallagher (Oasis were great, though)
People take it as a joke because it's a "tumblr" thing but this is way better than many current rock bands actually.

Date: March 21, 2015 00:55

To those who say that rap requires no talent... Don't be presumptuous. It takes talent to rap like this:

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 00:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:02 by camper88.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 21, 2015 01:18

RomanCandle
To those who say that rap requires no talent... Don't be presumptuous. It takes talent to rap like this:

Trying to convert people who have zero interest, and are even repulsed (as I am) to rap is shoveling manure against the tide. Obviously people like you enjoy it but those of us who don't most likely won't be won over at this stage of the game.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 21, 2015 01:54

alhavu1
RomanCandle
mr_dja
RomanCandle
KanyeWest is a show-off and a jerk. Not because of the Beck incident (seriously, who cares about what happens at the Grammy Awards?) but because he is obsessed with fame and money like most of rock stars/famous rappers/conductors/divas.... However he is excellent at what he does: hip-hop. That is not an excuse for his jerk behaviour but most of people who think his music is terrible hate rap music so much that you can't argue with them.

And some of them are discerning listeners who just don't like his music. You can argue all you want, after listening to many of the links you've provided as examples of his excellence (is he no longer a genius and now merely excellent?), I still don't hear it.

Personally, I hope he headlines Glastonbury and he and Kim get stuck in the mud, never to be seen or heard from again. And that's mainly just to be rid of Kim. Kanye's music is pretty easy to avoid. Trying to avoid a Kardashian is a bit more difficult.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Go buy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and listen to the whole album. If you still don't hear any talent, I can't help you. I would get the "too many producers/guests" point. I dont even like overproduced albums (just look at my username), MBDTF is an exception. Sure some details show a lack of taste (the 'All of the Lights' interlude, the Kid Cudi's part...), but there are f-ucking great verses on 'So Appalled' (my favourite rap verses along with Biggie's verse on 'Notorious Thugs') and the other songs are great, sometimes excellent (Devil in the New Dress). I don't care if you don't like Kanye West, to be honest: you have your own brain/ears. But why don't you like his music, exactly?

C-Rap
Question.... Why could anyone on this site Identify a Kanye west song. I can't. Get a friggin life!!!

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: March 21, 2015 02:37

MrMibbs
alhavu1
RomanCandle
mr_dja
RomanCandle
KanyeWest is a show-off and a jerk. Not because of the Beck incident (seriously, who cares about what happens at the Grammy Awards?) but because he is obsessed with fame and money like most of rock stars/famous rappers/conductors/divas.... However he is excellent at what he does: hip-hop. That is not an excuse for his jerk behaviour but most of people who think his music is terrible hate rap music so much that you can't argue with them.

And some of them are discerning listeners who just don't like his music. You can argue all you want, after listening to many of the links you've provided as examples of his excellence (is he no longer a genius and now merely excellent?), I still don't hear it.

Personally, I hope he headlines Glastonbury and he and Kim get stuck in the mud, never to be seen or heard from again. And that's mainly just to be rid of Kim. Kanye's music is pretty easy to avoid. Trying to avoid a Kardashian is a bit more difficult.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Go buy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and listen to the whole album. If you still don't hear any talent, I can't help you. I would get the "too many producers/guests" point. I dont even like overproduced albums (just look at my username), MBDTF is an exception. Sure some details show a lack of taste (the 'All of the Lights' interlude, the Kid Cudi's part...), but there are f-ucking great verses on 'So Appalled' (my favourite rap verses along with Biggie's verse on 'Notorious Thugs') and the other songs are great, sometimes excellent (Devil in the New Dress). I don't care if you don't like Kanye West, to be honest: you have your own brain/ears. But why don't you like his music, exactly?

C-Rap
Question.... Why could anyone on this site Identify a Kanye west song. I can't. Get a friggin life!!!

For me personally, West has produced a number of my favourite albums of the last few years and I've seen him live a number of times;
I think he's a great artist and just as important to music as any other current artist out there.
I've seen the Stones 20 times, Dylan about the same, The Who and Neil Young a dozen times each and Springsteen around 60 times. I don't understand why anyone would think that because you like 'classic rock' artists you can't like rap or hip hop.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2015 03:12

Aquamarine
treaclefingers
jrcjohnny99
Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman
People buy tickets to Glasto without knowing who's playing so it's a gamble. The petition will never be taken seriously because anyone can sign. I don't care for him but he'll probably do quite well with the younger audience members.

True. This morning, I was watching Dolly Parton at Glastonbury 14....
The whole point of the festival, in my understanding, is diversity.

Absolutely, Glastonbury has always been a festival of inclusion; this guy starting the petition is an idiot and notably has never been to Glastonbury in his life.
I'd also add that anyone signing this is just as narrow minded and sad.
Whether you like Kanye or not (and it's a shame he doesn't get judged on his music as much as his personality) surely all Stones fans should understand how important musical diversity is? or all we just like the @#$%& who booed Prince at the Stones shows in 81 (who probably all went out and bought Purple Rain 3 years later)

It's not a bad start that you describe Glasto "a festival of inclusion."
But calling people narrow minded who think K's behaviour is ridiculous and don't want to see him at Glasto, and calling other people an idiot and @#$%&...does all of that make you a poster of inclusion?

Firstly this petition is not about Kanye's behavior; the guy specifically states he only wants 'guitar bands' at the festival, so yeah, that falls under the 'narrow minded' banner.
Secondly, anyone who boos an artist doing his job deserves the '@#$%&' tag.
If you don't like someone's music that fine, go off and do something else while they're on stage, behaving like a 5 year old is not deserving of any respect.
I think it's sad that fans of a band like the Stones whose own influences are so diverse would be so blind to talented musicians that are outside the standard 'rock' format.

Totally agree with you...kind of like the way Kanye dismissed Beck and Taylor Swift.

But again, there needs to be a distinction made between the man's music and his behavior. (He apologized to both of them, FWIW.) Being a d*ck doesn't make someone a bad artist, in fact it's practically a prerequite! grinning smiley

I'm with jrcjohnny99, anyway. thumbs up

I haven't liked anything I've heard, but I'm certainly not for him being 'banned' for his music, or for his behaviour for that matter.

I just don't think anyone should be surprised that the only thing most people know about the guy, is his behaviour...and because of that wouldn't even consider listening to his music.

Date: March 21, 2015 03:31

I'm not surprised, treacle, but I do think it's too bad. Not everybody is going to like all kinds of music, but it seems a shame when people such as the petition-signers dismiss an artist's work for non-musical reasons. I mean, I love his music, though I wouldn't particularly want to have him to dinner--but I'm sure I wouldn't want to socialize with many of my other favorite artists, either. grinning smiley

Admittedly I may be coming at this from a different perspective to most folks, since the Stones are the only active "classic rock" band I follow (boy, it feels good to be able to type "active"smiling bouncing smiley ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-21 03:34 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 21, 2015 17:04

Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood says the rapper shouldn't be headlining a rock 'n roll festival like Glaso: [www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: March 21, 2015 17:31

Aquamarine
I'm not surprised, treacle, but I do think it's too bad. Not everybody is going to like all kinds of music, but it seems a shame when people such as the petition-signers dismiss an artist's work for non-musical reasons. I mean, I love his music, though I wouldn't particularly want to have him to dinner--but I'm sure I wouldn't want to socialize with many of my other favorite artists, either. grinning smiley

Admittedly I may be coming at this from a different perspective to most folks, since the Stones are the only active "classic rock" band I follow (boy, it feels good to be able to type "active"smiling bouncing smiley ).

When people say things like "he as a right to behave anyway he likes, it should not detract from his music" (I'm paraphrasing of course), they are totally correct. It should not.

HOWEVER, reality is different.

It always makes me think of the (OK very extreme) example from a couple of decades ago now, when there was a female jogger raped and beaten running through Central Park at night, almost dies.

There was an outcry that people should not be afraid to go for a run in a park. She has a right to do this, and not be afraid. That is true, no one will argue (I don't think) that she has that right.

But reality is that's not the way it is. We have the information to know this is not the way it is.

Kanye should be able to understand that his behaviour is going to create a reaction towards him. Maybe he wants that to be controversial, but he should understand that isn't necessarily going to make him universally liked or accepted.

Date: March 21, 2015 18:25

Glastonbury has a rich history of mostly British and American Rock Bands and I think Glasto stands for "The Holy Grail Of Rock". I think there are plenty of other places for Kanye West but Rock & Roll is here to stay!grinning smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 21, 2015 19:08

runaway
Glastonbury has a rich history of mostly British and American Rock Bands and I think Glasto stands for "The Holy Grail Of Rock". I think there are plenty of other places for Kanye West but Rock & Roll is here to stay!grinning smiley

I have zero use for that music but Jay-Z played Glastonbury. Sane silly sorry music Kanye does. So Kanye will play despite the protests. Pretty sorry state of affairs when rap-hip-hop what have headlines Glastonbury. Matter of fact I detest that music and I have gone to youtube to see Kanye and Jay-Z. I just don't get their appeal

Date: March 21, 2015 19:26

triceratops
runaway

I have zero use for that music but Jay-Z played Glastonbury. Sane silly sorry music Kanye does. So Kanye will play despite the protests. Pretty sorry state of affairs when rap-hip-hop what have headlines Glastonbury. Matter of fact I detest that music and I have gone to youtube to see Kanye and Jay-Z. I just don't get their appeal

I have no problem with the fans for his music but they should stand their Rock & Roll Glasto Ground!

Date: March 21, 2015 19:37

runaway

OK I see your point. But the Newport Jazz festival had a rich history of jazz music and.......

eye popping smiley

I'm hallucinating!!!! How did he dare?

Date: March 21, 2015 19:56

RomanCandle
runaway

OK I see your point. But the Newport Jazz festival had a rich history of jazz music and.......

eye popping smiley

And nobody complained when Springsteen played New Orleans jazz fest a few years ago....

that said; those who think Glastonbury is a "rock" festival actually know nothing of it's history;
Here are some headliners (not just bands who appeared; HEADLINERS) over the years..

1983 ; Curtis Mayfield, UB40
1984 ; Weather Report, Black Uhuru
1986 ; Level 42
1990 : Sinead O Connor
1992 : Youssou N'Dour
1997 : Prodigy
2000 : The Chemical Brothers
2003 : Moby
2005 ; Basement Jaxx

and of course in the last few years we've had Jay-Z, Beyonce and Stevie Wonder

as I stated above, the guy starting the petition has no idea what the Glastonbury Festival is all about (worth noting he's never even been!) and it's clear quite a few folks here don't know it's history either...

For those who need a little history, back in the day Reading was the "rock" festival, Donington was the hard rock/heavy metal festival and Glastonbury was the alternative/world music festival..

Date: March 21, 2015 20:04

RomanCandle
runaway

eye popping smiley

Chuck Berry was my first Rock & roll hero and he could have easily closed Glasto in his top years, I do listen to some cool Jazz and Blues and would have crawled to Newport if I was around at the time and I think King Arthur is not happy either with the closing at Glasto!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 21, 2015 20:16

Date: March 21, 2015 20:34

jrcjohnny99
RomanCandle
runaway

eye popping smiley

And nobody complained when Springsteen played New Orleans jazz fest a few years ago....

that said; those who think Glastonbury is a "rock" festival actually know nothing of it's history;
Here are some headliners (not just bands who appeared; HEADLINERS) over the years..

1986 ; Level 42
2005 ; Basement Jaxx

as I stated above, the guy starting the petition has no idea what the Glastonbury Festival is all about (worth noting he's never even been!) and it's clear quite a few folks here don't know it's history either...

For those who need a little history, back in the day Reading was the "rock" festival, Donington was the hard rock/heavy metal festival and Glastonbury was the alternative/world music festival..

I know all them bands posted and do have their albums and I know who rocksgrinning smiley

Date: March 21, 2015 22:00

RomanCandle
runaway

eye popping smiley

I'll accept that the day Dylan goes electric and the Stones play Disco!

Date: March 21, 2015 23:30

treaclefingers
Aquamarine

When people say things like "he as a right to behave anyway he likes, it should not detract from his music" (I'm paraphrasing of course), they are totally correct. It should not.

HOWEVER, reality is different.

It always makes me think of the (OK very extreme) example from a couple of decades ago now, when there was a female jogger raped and beaten running through Central Park at night, almost dies.

There was an outcry that people should not be afraid to go for a run in a park. She has a right to do this, and not be afraid. That is true, no one will argue (I don't think) that she has that right.

But reality is that's not the way it is. We have the information to know this is not the way it is.

Kanye should be able to understand that his behaviour is going to create a reaction towards him. Maybe he wants that to be controversial, but he should understand that isn't necessarily going to make him universally liked or accepted.

Well, we can probably agree here, because I don't think he has any wish to be universally liked or accepted, that's kinda the point of what he does. In a way it's like an initiation test, if you can get past the persona, then the music might (or might not) have something to offer you.

(The Central Park jogger is a topic for another time, because I think that's fundamentally different in a number of ways.)

Re: OT: Petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:45

Not a big fan of Kanye.

But don't like the idea to only have rockbands as headliners. Extremely concervative.

Stones took their influences from blues and rocknroll but also from reggae, disco and soul.

I do love the new album from Kendrick Lamar.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:55

petitions should be banned.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:00

Natlanta
petitions should be banned.

Okay, let's start a petition to ban petitions. grinning smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:10

Aquamarine

Good points. I stopped judging artists by their personal behavior once I had read Up and Down With the Rolling Stones.. Hell, Chuck Berry secretly video records women in bathroom stalls at his restaurant! And James Brown? These are fascinating people in large part because they are often extreme and sometimes just plain nuts. Kanye did what? Act like an ass clown at the Grammys and insulting a few other artists? Marrying a Kardashian? That's pretty tame stuff.
What did Keith used to call Elton? Remember when Mick used to constantly deride Elvis, or call Patti Smith ugly and horrible?
Kanye has a ways to go to match those egos.

Date: March 22, 2015 00:11

runaway
jrcjohnny99
RomanCandle
runaway

eye popping smiley

1986 ; Level 42
2005 ; Basement Jaxx

I know all them bands posted and do have their albums and I know who rocksgrinning smiley

You may well know these bands but you clearly don't know the history of the festival; nothing about Glasters has suggested it's the "Holy grail of rock"; believing that is totally missing the point of the festival.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:38

I ain't signin' nuffin' .......

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2015 00:44

It's a shame a thread like this is on a Stonesboard.
We should be starting a petition against the petition.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2015 00:45

Okay I'll sign that one ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home