Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: Over 50,000 people have now signed petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2015 23:10

ROCKMAN

Re: OT: Over 50,000 people have now signed petition to stop Kanye West from headlining Glastonbury
Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 19, 2015 23:24

mighty stork
Seems that he's not the draw some thought he was.Maybe they're hoping Paul will be with him.

[www.nme.com]

Umm. there is another issue with him..NO TALENT

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2015 23:44

Doxa
treaclefingers
[

They just don't exude cool, so you can't take them seriously.

But how come people, seemingly, are taking him so seriously? Not that people are signing petitions like that (hilarious), but every time name Kanye West is mentioned here (why?) some sort of lynching party is taken place here at IORR. Isn't him - and Bieber - something the kids like? But seemingly he gets under so many many people's skins... I guess more the people hate him, or want him banned or something, that might have some sort of effect on his public status and popularity among his fans? Most likely it just works for him...

- Doxa

I don't think people are taking him so seriously. They don't like him because he behaves like a jerk and 'seems' to get away with it. But he's really just a bit of a joke. The thing with Beck at the Grammy's...that was actually funny.

I actually would like to see how he handles the Glasto crowds...that should be interesting.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:01

If I were him I'd be cautious. I've heard of him (because of his pranks) but I couldn't name any of his songs.
Being known for your antics and not for the things you sing is okay for a "people" not a good thing for a true musician.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:06

Kanye makes me laugh and that's good enough for me.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:09

Has anyone seen the video of him stoping his concert until everybody stands up..oops, note to Kanye, some people are handicap and can't stand up. Probably not a good idea to shine a spotlight on them as you call them out.

Date: March 20, 2015 00:22

U2Stonesfan
Has anyone seen the video of him stoping his concert until everybody stands up..oops, note to Kanye, some people are handicap and can't stand up. Probably not a good idea to shine a spotlight on them as you call them out.

The audience loved it and were chanting "Stand up!" over and over. Kanye said something to the effect of: "I want everybody standing unless you got some handicapped pass or some <bleep>". Ooops. He actually sent the bouncers up to make the guy stand up. I was expecting Kanye to cure the poor person, the way the crowd was reacting.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:30

bleedingman
U2Stonesfan

The audience loved it and were chanting "Stand up!" over and over. Kanye said something to the effect of: "I want everybody standing unless you got some handicapped pass or some <bleep>". Ooops. He actually sent the bouncers up to make the guy stand up. I was expecting Kanye to cure the poor person, the way the crowd was reacting.

So he's not just a jerk. Sounds like a scary monster and a super creep. I say sign the petition to not even let him enter the mainland of Europe and let the US deal with this sicko. Yak!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:40

keefriff99
stupidguy2
On what grounds? Because he's an obnoxious, arrogant SOB?
This is a joke, right?
I'm not a huge fan of Kanye, but I fail to see how his arrogance is any worse than a multitude of other rock, rap and pop stars of the past.

In fact, being arrogant is part and parcel of musical stardom, going back to Frank Sinatra. Kanye has never even broken the law or been arrested.

Again: I think he acts like a jackass, but he's certainly talented and popular enough to headline a music festival.

Thank you. (I'd have hoped rock fans would be a bit more open-minded, especially fans of a band who positioned themselves for years as the bad boys of rock and roll. winking smiley )

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 20, 2015 00:48

For those that say K. West is talented..........PLEASE name 1 song of his?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 01:13

H E A D L I N E ????

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 20, 2015 02:02

1cdog
Say You Will
Love Lockdown
Power
Monster
Gold Digger
Heartless
Jesus Walks

many more.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 20, 2015 02:28

How many of those that signed actually know his music?

Date: March 20, 2015 02:32

Boognish
1cdog
Say You Will
Love Lockdown
Power
Monster
Gold Digger
Heartless
Jesus Walks

many more.

wrong...that one's a Jagger solo

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 20, 2015 08:43

mr_dja
RomanCandle
KanyeWest is a show-off and a jerk. Not because of the Beck incident (seriously, who cares about what happens at the Grammy Awards?) but because he is obsessed with fame and money like most of rock stars/famous rappers/conductors/divas.... However he is excellent at what he does: hip-hop. That is not an excuse for his jerk behaviour but most of people who think his music is terrible hate rap music so much that you can't argue with them.

And some of them are discerning listeners who just don't like his music. You can argue all you want, after listening to many of the links you've provided as examples of his excellence (is he no longer a genius and now merely excellent?), I still don't hear it.

Personally, I hope he headlines Glastonbury and he and Kim get stuck in the mud, never to be seen or heard from again. And that's mainly just to be rid of Kim. Kanye's music is pretty easy to avoid. Trying to avoid a Kardashian is a bit more difficult.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Go buy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and listen to the whole album. If you still don't hear any talent, I can't help you. I would get the "too many producers/guests" point. I dont even like overproduced albums (just look at my username), MBDTF is an exception. Sure some details show a lack of taste (the 'All of the Lights' interlude, the Kid Cudi's part...), but there are f-ucking great verses on 'So Appalled' (my favourite rap verses along with Biggie's verse on 'Notorious Thugs') and the other songs are great, sometimes excellent (Devil in the New Dress). I don't care if you don't like Kanye West, to be honest: you have your own brain/ears. But why don't you like his music, exactly?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2015 09:12

It's a losing battle and fundamentally pointless to try to persuade others to feel the same way you do about music. It seems so obviously a subjective issue, though in the case of KW I suspect many people claim to dislike his music who've never actually listened to it, because they dislike him for other, often understandable, reasons. If you HAVE listened to him, and you don't hear anything to like, that's fine. But it doesn't mean that those who DO appreciate his work are wrong, as we seem to be constantly told we are.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 20, 2015 09:30

This nonsense is reminiscent of the time Jay-Z headlined Glastonbury some years back. I recall Noel Gallagher stepping-in, proclaiming the hip-hop star shouldn't be on the bill as 'Glasto' is 'rock festival' Pathetic.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 20, 2015 15:30

Boognish
1cdog
Say You Will
Love Lockdown
Power
Monster
Gold Digger
Heartless
Jesus Walks

many more.

Oh yeah for sure. Regular anthems that the entire public are aware of......

No doubt these songs and the music will last the test of time and be enjoyed by generations to come and are destined to live forever............

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 16:30

stupidguy2
bleedingman
People buy tickets to Glasto without knowing who's playing so it's a gamble. The petition will never be taken seriously because anyone can sign. I don't care for him but he'll probably do quite well with the younger audience members.

True. This morning, I was watching Dolly Parton at Glastonbury 14....
The whole point of the festival, in my understanding, is diversity.

Absolutely, Glastonbury has always been a festival of inclusion; this guy starting the petition is an idiot and notably has never been to Glastonbury in his life.
I'd also add that anyone signing this is just as narrow minded and sad.
Whether you like Kanye or not (and it's a shame he doesn't get judged on his music as much as his personality) surely all Stones fans should understand how important musical diversity is? or all we just like the @#$%& who booed Prince at the Stones shows in 81 (who probably all went out and bought Purple Rain 3 years later)

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 20, 2015 16:46

1cdog
Boognish
1cdog
Say You Will
Love Lockdown
Power
Monster
Gold Digger
Heartless
Jesus Walks

many more.

Oh yeah for sure. Regular anthems that the entire public are aware of......

No doubt these songs and the music will last the test of time and be enjoyed by generations to come and are destined to live forever............

Agreed . . . it is all one big steaming pile of shit. But that's what sells tickets these days

Date: March 20, 2015 18:56

jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman
People buy tickets to Glasto without knowing who's playing so it's a gamble. The petition will never be taken seriously because anyone can sign. I don't care for him but he'll probably do quite well with the younger audience members.

Absolutely, Glastonbury has always been a festival of inclusion; this guy starting the petition is an idiot and notably has never been to Glastonbury in his life.
Whether you like Kanye or not (and it's a shame he doesn't get judged on his music as much as his personality) surely all Stones fans should understand how important musical diversity is? or all we just like the @#$%& who booed Prince at the Stones shows in 81 (who probably all went out and bought Purple Rain 3 years later)

even while I agree with you, whose fault is that?

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 20:28

RomanCandle
mr_dja
RomanCandle
KanyeWest is a show-off and a jerk. Not because of the Beck incident (seriously, who cares about what happens at the Grammy Awards?) but because he is obsessed with fame and money like most of rock stars/famous rappers/conductors/divas.... However he is excellent at what he does: hip-hop. That is not an excuse for his jerk behaviour but most of people who think his music is terrible hate rap music so much that you can't argue with them.

And some of them are discerning listeners who just don't like his music. You can argue all you want, after listening to many of the links you've provided as examples of his excellence (is he no longer a genius and now merely excellent?), I still don't hear it.

Personally, I hope he headlines Glastonbury and he and Kim get stuck in the mud, never to be seen or heard from again. And that's mainly just to be rid of Kim. Kanye's music is pretty easy to avoid. Trying to avoid a Kardashian is a bit more difficult.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Go buy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and listen to the whole album. If you still don't hear any talent, I can't help you. I would get the "too many producers/guests" point. I dont even like overproduced albums (just look at my username), MBDTF is an exception. Sure some details show a lack of taste (the 'All of the Lights' interlude, the Kid Cudi's part...), but there are f-ucking great verses on 'So Appalled' (my favourite rap verses along with Biggie's verse on 'Notorious Thugs') and the other songs are great, sometimes excellent (Devil in the New Dress). I don't care if you don't like Kanye West, to be honest: you have your own brain/ears. But why don't you like his music, exactly?

C-Rap

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 20:44

I would be so pissed off if I'd bought tickets this year.....

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 20, 2015 21:01

I first went to Glastonbury festival when I was 5 years old and went several times as a teenager and loved it,in recent years I've watched it on TV and enjoyed some of the acts but I won't be turning on my TV to watch this talentless waste of space who deserves to be laughed into the dustbin of history.

Nate

Date: March 20, 2015 21:19

jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman

It's not a bad start that you describe Glasto "a festival of inclusion."
But calling people narrow minded who think K's behaviour is ridiculous and don't want to see him at Glasto, and calling other people an idiot and @#$%&...does all of that make you a poster of inclusion?

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 21:26

Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman

But calling people narrow minded who think K's behaviour is ridiculous and don't want to see him at Glasto, and calling other people an idiot and @#$%&...does all of that make you a poster of inclusion?

Firstly this petition is not about Kanye's behavior; the guy specifically states he only wants 'guitar bands' at the festival, so yeah, that falls under the 'narrow minded' banner.
Secondly, anyone who boos an artist doing his job deserves the '@#$%&' tag.
If you don't like someone's music that fine, go off and do something else while they're on stage, behaving like a 5 year old is not deserving of any respect.
I think it's sad that fans of a band like the Stones whose own influences are so diverse would be so blind to talented musicians that are outside the standard 'rock' format.

Date: March 20, 2015 21:28

jrcjohnny99
Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman

Firstly this petition is not about Kanye's behavior; the guy specifically states he only wants 'guitar bands' at the festival, so yeah, that falls under the 'narrow minded' banner.
If you don't like someone's music that fine, go off and do something else while they're on stage, behaving like a 5 year old is not deserving of any respect.
I think it's sad that fans of a band like the Stones whose own influences are so diverse would be so blind to talented musicians that are outside the standard 'rock' format.

Totally agree with you...kind of like the way Kanye dismissed Beck and Taylor Swift.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 22:05

jrcjohnny99
Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman

Yep. The lack of self-awareness is kind of funny. And I like everybody here, but damn, its the whole 'Disco Sucks' mentality again.

Date: March 20, 2015 22:05

jrcjohnny99
Dreamer
jrcjohnny99
stupidguy2
bleedingman

I was considering to sign it because of his behaviour since the guy seems to be some kind of dictator. And somehow I don't want to listen to their music and I'm glad I never heard any of his.
Unfortunately the petition is just about the music and therefore I can't sign or support it.
At the same time the guy who started this lives in a free country.
Meanwhile something funny happened: a counter petition has also been set up called 'Cancel all acts at Glastonbury other than Kanye West'

Date: March 20, 2015 23:46

If the promoters of the festival are cool with West then the petition is just an exercise in futility. Cathartic for some, I'm sure. But ultimately futile. Glasto is obviously not a strict rock fest so if Jay Z played there, then obviously there would be a good chance that if you attended future festivals, there would be rap. West gave a free concert in NY, where I live, and it looked like a Yale fraternity party. Lots of young kids, out in freezing temperatures to see an artist they enjoy. West will most likely be very well received at Glasto.

Not to ever compare Kanye to Bob, but there is a history of artists whose performances were judged as "inappropriate' for certain esoteric festivals:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-20 23:48 by bleedingman.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home